PDA

View Full Version : Need sturdy dog blankets!

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 7, 2010, 08:06 PM
It has been freakishly cold here already this winter and I have two rowdy dogs that have to stay outside for 12 hours while I'm at work. If I try to be nice and leave them inside with my senior dogs, they thank me by destroying something in my house :mad: Crating is not an option.

So - dog blankets! Need something sturdy that can withstand rough-housing without falling off and can't spend a fortune. Any recommendations?

I've eyeballed the Smartpak blankets but they all have velcro chest openings - not gonna work with my two dogs :winkgrin: Also looking at the dog blankets from sstack.com which look promising. Any other ideas?

Mali
Dec. 7, 2010, 08:39 PM
Pessoa makes really tough (and nice looking) dog blankets. I have a friend that has two rough playing labs, and they have not been able to hurt their Pessoas in the two winters they've been wearing them. They usually pull each other around by the blankets, so those babies are tough! I bought one for my lab puppy last year during Snowmageddon, but he's long since grown out of it.

I bought the Schneiders and it did NOT fit my dog around the neck at all. In fact, it's a closed front and I had to cut it apart and try to piece it back together. It never worked and it's still sitting in my sewing room in peices. I would never buy another one.

JoZ
Dec. 7, 2010, 08:52 PM
Sorry to semi-hijack but I have another dog blanket question -- are most blankets made like horse blankets with nothing covering the belly? Our poor boxer has short hair overall but almost no hair on her belly, and I'd love to get a coat that wraps around her somehow.

mroades
Dec. 7, 2010, 08:57 PM
google breathe-comfort dog blankets...mine is 8 years old and going strong...on a fat JRT

vacation1
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:42 PM
Sorry to semi-hijack but I have another dog blanket question -- are most blankets made like horse blankets with nothing covering the belly? Our poor boxer has short hair overall but almost no hair on her belly, and I'd love to get a coat that wraps around her somehow.

Hey, me too! My dog has a very nice (and nearly long enough) winter coat with waterproofish exterior, nice fit, fuzzy interior, but not much stomach coverage. I was thinking of trying to find a very large dog sweater or making my own, and layering it with the coat for more coverage.

In_
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:52 PM
Can you get (or make) a cozy doghouse? Layer some straw in the bottom and it should stay quite toasty, especially if the two can curl up together. Just thinking that might be nice wind/snow/sleet/rain break.

JackSprats Mom
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:01 PM
The pessoa and weetherbeeta blankets are both GREAT!

There are more custom blankets (from pet stores) that allow for belly covering.

mjmvet
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:40 PM
You could opt for a fleece covering so the belly is covered, then put the blanket on top.

mg
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:42 PM
My dog has a Foggy Mountain Nylon Turnout coat: http://dogcoat.com/

I know people who have had these coats for 10 years and they're still going strong. I've only had mine a little over a week, but my dog has been warm and dry in it and it looks great despite him scraping under wooden and metal doors regularly.

naturalequus
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:33 AM
We have a blanket still around from our (now deceased) greyhound from here:
http://www.sunipetware.com/

LOVE it!! Both sturdy (very tough exterior lining) and warm (and covers the belly for the hairless-belly-freaks like Greyhounds and the short-hair dogs I seem to be attracted to, hehe). My Dobe wore it for years as well (even though it was much too large on her). The only issue with the Suni coat was the velcro eventually became less sticky as things were caught up in it...but that took years (and no maintenance on my part) and I imagine one could use buttons as support...or, y'know, just clean the velcro/blanket :winkgrin: Keep in mind our dogs were not wearing it daily though for 12 hours a day - maybe an hour or two per day (or a few hours at the barn) then it was pulled off after the walk/event. They probably would not be as appropriate for daily all-day turned-loose wear.

They're local to us though, but I can't imagine you can't have it shipped. Maybe you'll find something closer or more sturdy for all-day use, but I just thought I'd throw the above out there for any interested, especially just for walks and especially considering the belly coverage. Otherwise, I also second the comment about straw in a nice doghouse, maybe in addition to coats?

Becka
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:06 AM
Foggy Mountain Dog Coats are awesome! We have been using them for years and couldn't be happier!

SidesaddleRider
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have 2 Baker dog blankets for my corgi and foxhound (she is always freezing!). It is the same tough durable plaid material of the horse blankets, lined in fleece, has a buckle leather front closure, and 2 belly straps (so pretty much just like the horse blankets).

It has held up very well, and doesn't shift on them when they run around playing.

Belleaphant
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.horseworks.com/products_for_your_pets Saratoga Horseworks makes a bunch of dog coats. The Blackwatch plaid is 1200D (like their horse blankets!) so it's super strong. If you want a belly cover the greyhound coat has one. Our office dog, a coonhound X, has one and it fits her deep chest nicely. Plus they are American made!

superJ
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:55 AM

My Doberman has the same issue. My favorite jacket for him (and he has a wardrobe bigger than mine, so we've tested LOTS of jackets) is the Great White North Winter Coat from Chilly Dogs. http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30

I bought mine roughly 8-10 years ago and it's still going strong with pretty much daily wear. (Washes up great too!) So many of the belly covering blankets he can pee on....which is frustrating, but this one is safe from that particular issue. :)

sisu27
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
My Terrier wears one of these:

http://www.tackshopcanada.com/page/1174763

Pricey but worth it as they are very well made. They ship Canada Post which would probably be inexpensive.

My Dobe has a large wardrobe. This is what he wears most often now that it is cold:

http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-BLS1590.html?L+scstore+xvpt9914ffe529e5+1291833926

He also has a Barbour and a Thermatex which are both very nice but not really for everyday wear (get too dirty, too hard to clean...).

Have had Foggy Mountain rugs made for past Dobes and they are very, very nice.

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:56 PM
Can you get (or make) a cozy doghouse? Layer some straw in the bottom and it should stay quite toasty, especially if the two can curl up together. Just thinking that might be nice wind/snow/sleet/rain break.

They do have a giant dog house (that is large enough for me to sleep in :lol:) that they can share. I've tried putting straw in it for them but they will systematically remove all of the straw from the house and scatter it around the yard:rolleyes: One of the dogs will use the dog house religiously but the other will only use it if it is deathly cold or raining - leaving the one to fend for himself inside the doghouse with no buddy body heat. I'm starting to question their survival instincts :winkgrin:

Thanks much for all of the great suggestions!! I didn't even know some of these doggie blanket makers existed. Now I have even more research to do :) I hope whichever blanket I choose doesn't die a quick death at the hands of the rowdy boys when they wear them the first day. :lol:

aspenlucas
Dec. 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
Tough-1 makes a great dog blanket. Buckles in the front. We put it on our Rotty/Shepherd Mix that spends a lot of time outside. http://hlz.cc/tv

Rhyadawn
Dec. 8, 2010, 04:13 PM
I've got weatherbeta blankets for my girl and she does great in it. I needed something waterproof and that would stand up to her brother's roughhousing. This is what I found.
http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-7161-weatherbeeta-it-wasnt-me-landa-dog-blanket.aspx

It's perfect for what she needs. Her last one was similar but I got it when she was 15 months... doesn't exactly fit anymore....

Apple has many different styles of dog blankets. I was impressed.

cardicorgi
Dec. 8, 2010, 04:50 PM
[apologies for continuing slight hijack]

Anyone out there with a corgi or basset hound and a broadish bellyband blanket?

I'm looking for a good blanket with some belly coverage for our new dog, who hates rain but requires lengthy walks on pavement (city-dwellers). He's 17 1/2" in length - is an 18" blanket going to fit a low-rider breed or will there be so much drop he'll look like a tablecloth with a head? Thanks for any suggestions, and for enabling my laziness.

RxCate
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm wondering too, how much larger (and possibly more expensive) a mini-horse or foal blanket would be to get too, for those with larger breeds?

mg
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
[apologies for continuing slight hijack]

Anyone out there with a corgi or basset hound and a broadish bellyband blanket?

I'm looking for a good blanket with some belly coverage for our new dog, who hates rain but requires lengthy walks on pavement (city-dwellers). He's 17 1/2" in length - is an 18" blanket going to fit a low-rider breed or will there be so much drop he'll look like a tablecloth with a head? Thanks for any suggestions, and for enabling my laziness.

Foggy Mountain Dog Coats makes coats in special breed sizes. They have Dachshund and Basset available, depending on the size of your dog. http://dogcoat.com/

DarkenStormy
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
Ruffwear has some really nice ones for about 60.00. www.ruffwear.com. They are made to wear outside in the really cold weather. I have one for my uber active lab and he LOVES it.

Wayside
Dec. 11, 2010, 01:55 AM

My dog, Tessa, has the same problem. I'm considering buying one of these: http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,6670,1,0,0.html though I haven't tried it yet, nor have I seen one in person. The price certainly seems reasonable. Anyone tried one?

The Chilly dog coats look really nice, and are probably more appropriate for the OP's scenario (since it looks like the Weatherbeeta I linked has velcro), but Tessa's not very rowdy, and I'm rather cheap :lol:

fordtraktor
Dec. 11, 2010, 01:42 PM
I just ordered my Jack Russell a Thinsulate dog blanket from SmartPak and am very pleased with the quality and the style. It fits him well and is very horsey-stylish -- dark green with burgundy trim and white piping. Classy and warm. He likes it.

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
Ok just to update and report back:

I had ordered a Smartpak blanket for my old Boston Terrier since the sturdiness of the blanket didn't matter for her. I was pleasantly surprised with how "sticky" the velcro was on the blankets and how well put together they were. So I broke down and ordered a couple of them for my bad boy dogs, using the 15% off code that Smartpak offered recently. I figured that if one of the blankets got eaten, I was only out about $25 bucks..

My yellow Lab LOVES his blanket and thinks that he is something special for having a blanket to wear ;) His fits great lengthwise but the belly strap is a little too long for his athletic build - it falls right at the back of his rib cage where he is more narrow. If it fell farther up on his rib cage it would be fine. My lab mix is mortified that I have put clothing on him and isn't quite sure what he's supposed to do while wearing his jacket. Too funny! His blanket is a tad too short on him, but if I'd ordered the next size up (XL) it would've swallowed him up. He is of slightly more stocky build and the belly strap fit him perfectly. I turned them out in the yard together yesterday with their blankets on (it was a high of 35 and windy!) and they didn't seem to pay each other's blanket any mind. I truly hope on the really cold days that they wear them that it's just too cold to think about rough housing! :yes: But I feel like the velcro is sturdy enough that they'd really have to work to un-attach it... chewing and tugging on blankets may be another story though :winkgrin: So fingers crossed!

PiaffePlease
Dec. 15, 2010, 01:52 AM
I have this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-5407&ids=33706046

and this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-24463&ids=33706046

they are very similar. I bought the first one 8-10 years ago and it still going strong. My dog wore it every night for several years, then she became an inside dog and wore it to play/for walks/out to pee, etc. The only thing I had to do was re-sew one of the nylon straps back to the blanket (the stitching came loose).

I bought the second one 3 years ago and it still looks new. There isnt much difference between the two. The more expensive one has thicker nylon straps and the buckles are rounded which makes it a little easier to strap on. The cheaper one wasnt available when I bought the expensive one.

The only things Ive seen that cover the belly are custom made or are sweaters, which most dogs hate.

tarynls
Dec. 15, 2010, 06:33 AM
My dog has a Foggy Mountain Nylon Turnout coat: http://dogcoat.com/

I know people who have had these coats for 10 years and they're still going strong. I've only had mine a little over a week, but my dog has been warm and dry in it and it looks great despite him scraping under wooden and metal doors regularly.

LOVE Foggy Mountain. I've had mine for 6 years now and the best part is they will customize them for your dog (ie. wide in the chest, etc.)