PDA

View Full Version : Do the breeders ever wonder/care where their TB's end up?

mortly
Feb. 6, 2006, 02:42 PM
I'm curious as an OTTB owner if the breeders or previous owners ever wonder or would like to know to where their one-time horses end up.

My horse was bred by Janis Whitham and I've been tempted to contact her (not really sure how though!) and let her know where he is and that he's happy enjoying a new life, but I wasn't sure if the big-time breeder/owners even really cared??

mrd
Feb. 6, 2006, 02:59 PM
I wondered that too, and years ago, before I bred my OTTB mare, I sent a letter to her breeder. I just wanted some basic information - anything she could remember. I felt that a letter would keep me from having to hear the phone slammed down, plus I included a photo of her in her comfy life. I included all of my contact information and I actually received a call back (of course while I was not available). I called her back and we had a two hour conversation. Not only did she remember the breeding, but she still had her dam at 30 yr old. Much of what she told me of the dam and how she raises her youngsters I see in my mare. It was nice to know what kind of producer she was, etc. I also think she was genuinely happy to know the mare was well loved.

btilton
Feb. 6, 2006, 05:06 PM
Every breeder is different. In the race world in paticular, there is a LOT more people to whom its a business, not loving breathing animals. To many, as far as they are concerned that horse is a closed file, and either made them money or didn't.

But many do care also, and some are just kind, so I would never discourage the attempt to contact, but I would do so in a letter or email, so that if they are not interested, they have the option of not responding. I mistakenly called a breeder here in the Nor Cal area one time and he was quite rude with me, told me he really didn't remember the horse, he had far too many every year.

B

furlong47
Feb. 6, 2006, 05:11 PM
I would go ahead and attempt to make contact... what have you got to lose? If you get no reply or a negative reply then just leave it be. If you get a positive reply, you could learn more about your horse's past and possibly make a breeder very happy.

I know I am always glad to hear news of the horses who were bred or owned by our stables in the past http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif And there are some I wonder about and will probably never know.

Touchstone Farm,Ky
Feb. 6, 2006, 05:50 PM
I work for several big time breeders who love to know where their babies end up. They often try to help place ones they find out are in trouble and one even has a gallery in the farm office of pictures of some of theirs in their 'second life'.<s>

Arcadien
Feb. 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
IME, 9 out of 10 care VERY much - so much I've even had them eager to take a horse back home after it had fallen through the cracks, somehow ended up off the track, unsound, and on the way to a bad end - when this breeder was contacted, they couldn't arrange to get it home fast enough, they were so relieved to find it. It was a gelding, only sound for light trail if that in future, so that response really warmed my heart.

Others I've (or my friends) have contacted have been so obviously happy to hear that horse is in a new career and doing well.

Opposite extreme, breeder doesn't want to hear, if you call they think you're trying to make it their problem - horse is off the track, thus not earning anymore money, & not their problem - they'd rather just not hear how it's doing and they don't want to feel obligated to help rehome it, for sure.

But, the good news, in my humble experience at least, the latter are the 1 in 10 breeder, max.

So it's always worth chasing down that 9 out of 10 breeder, if you ask me! you may relieve some worry at the least, or gain a real new friend & fellow TB lover - and maybe help ensure a horse a forever home if it needs to retire as a pasture ornament someday.

Arcadien,
expecting her first homebred on Derby day http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif -don't worry it will be meticulously tracked and always welcomed back home - in the unlikley event it ever leaves!

Linny
Feb. 6, 2006, 08:12 PM
From what I know of her (I've never met her) Janis Whitham would probably love to hear that you have "her" horse. Many breeders are just concerned that you want to dump a horse on them. My guess is that most breeders would be pleased to know that your riding/show horse was once theirs.

Sarabeth
Feb. 6, 2006, 09:00 PM
I often wonder about this myself. My beloved OTTB's breeder was Tom Gentry of Kentucky. I'd give a front tooth for a foal picture of my guy - what do you think the odds would be? (Of course, would need Tom Gentry's address, first)

Carol Ames
Feb. 6, 2006, 09:50 PM
I can tellyouhat Lazy Lane farms inUppervile, VA. does definitely wantto know. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

EponaRoan
Feb. 6, 2006, 10:28 PM
Janis Whitham

Bayakoa's 'mom'? I don't know her personally, but she strikes me as a person who would care. As someone suggested, write a letter rather than attempting a phone call.

Bacchus
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the impetus--I think I'll contact my OTTBs breeder just for fun.

Sarabeth, I know Olin (sp) Gentry lives on Harp-Innis. Not a bad guy, but I don't think he'd be too interested. I doubt the Gentrys would have foal pictures, but you never know. Are they still part of Gaines-Gentry? I guess I need to do some research--I was away too long and haven't been back long enoughhttp://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mortly
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
Oh Good!! When I looked up my horse's pedigree he was 1 of 10 foals out of the same dam. Most of them say that they are owned or bred by Mrs. Whitham. I just thought with that kind of history with his dam, she might be curious where he ended up.

So, does anyone know if Mrs. Whitham has a farm name that I can at least try to track down an address? I will most definately send a letter - I'm way too shy to pick up the phone and call someone like that!!

Linny
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:27 AM
I believe that Mrs. Whitham lives in California but breeds in both Ky and Cali. I'll never forget the sight of her standing in the winners circle at Blemont after the BC Distaff win by Bayakoa. She was bawling, crying because Bayakoa's win came after rival Go For Wand crashed to the track with multiple fractures.
I think she's involved with the "Kids to the Cup" program as well.

ejm
Feb. 7, 2006, 08:40 AM
I found some information on her address and sent you a PT.

A lot of breeders do care, and from what I know of Mrs. Whitham's program, it is small enough that she probably has a personal interest in all of her horses. We are very small breeders and would LOVE to know where our horses end up, and offer them a retirement home if needed.

FLAbreds
Feb. 7, 2006, 08:48 AM
As a small time breeder I would most definately like to know where our homebreds end up. Reason being is that I've been on the other side of the fence when tracking down owners on OTTBs we took in and I either got full cooperation (sent papers and a nice note) or complete refusal to even talk to me. And after I got a hold of the former trainer of that particular OTTB (it was a filly) they told me that the owners refused to talk to me because they knew I'd ask for the papers and they were afraid I'd race the horse again. Understandable but these same people were ready to ship the horse to slaughter so what would they care what I did with her?!

Bacchus
Feb. 7, 2006, 10:27 AM
I found out that the breeder of my horse, Meryl Ann Tanz, was married to David Cassidy (for less than a year)! Funnyhttp://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyone know her info? Nothing came up for Tanz in KY in a whitepages.com search.

jenarby
Feb. 7, 2006, 10:45 AM
I found the info for the breeder of a mare I used to own. She was very hapy to hear the mare was well. She sent pics of her as a weanling and even offered to sell me her full brother. She's been in some contact with me over the years and was so nice to talk to.

My current gelding was bred by a big time breeding farm in KY. I contacted them about him. By email, just to let them know he was happy and healthy. Although the staff didn't know of him (he's older) they appreciated the info and thanked me for letting them know the horse was okay.

I also found the breeder of my current racehorse. They was extrememly excited to hear how he was doing. They had never had anyone contact them before to let them know how their babies were doing. Whenever he'd run I would get an email from them. I sent a tape of all his wins to them as well. The lady cried she was so happy.

So, I too, think it's worth it to just try. I do a lot of internet searching to find breeders. One thing will put me on a path to another thing that helps me loacte contact info.

Do it! What do you have to lose! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SabinoPonyLover
Feb. 8, 2006, 07:04 AM
While I would love to have pictures of my mare, I don't think I'll be contacting the breeders. I think the Stronach's have so many horses a year they probably don't even remember who she is.

Linny
Feb. 8, 2006, 07:32 AM
With a big opearion (Adena Springs etc) the breeder listed may never have seen the horse but often the staff or people involved in handling/raising the babies WOULD be interested.

I met a girl a few years ago who had broken/trained babies at a farm in So Carolina. It turned out that she's broken several babies that other firends of mine had handled in NY. I put them all in touch and they all had a great time talking/emailing about "their" racehorses, even though none of these folks OWNED any of them. In the backstretch world handlers often refer to their charges as "my filly" or "my little brown horse."

DillansMom
Feb. 8, 2006, 07:57 AM
I contacted Lane's End about the OTTB that I just got, Special Squall.

They were so kind! They sent me all the info they had on him, and some Lane's End bling too!

FairWeather
Feb. 8, 2006, 08:07 AM
and I've been tempted to contact her (not really sure how though!) and let her know where he is and that he's happy
Depends really--
Most people love to hear, some people give you a smile and a nod and go about their business.

The horse I got from New Holland was bred by someone at Charles Town (and got me going with CANTER actually). I braved what i thought would be wrath and tracked down his owners and gave them a ringy-ding. They cryed when i told them where I picked him up.
Fast forward 5 years, and they now consider me their adopted grandchild (they have no children) and I have four of their horses.

Go for it, what do you have to lose?

kcmel
Feb. 8, 2006, 04:46 PM
Cool idea. Anyone know how to get in touch with Luann Baker (Fla). I googled her but didn't come up with much.

race_run_jump
Feb. 8, 2006, 07:56 PM
I would LOVE to hear from anyone about any of the babies I have bred and sold. I have kept track of most of them - and actually just bought one back - I posted about it on off course - most breeders are pleased to hear about the horse's current job. Trainers might be able to provide some info too - depending on how "big" they are and how many horses they deal with. I know that Michael Dickinson was very pleased to hear about a horse that a COTH-er had rescued and offered any help possible to get him into a good home. I'd call or write - the worst you can hear is, "So what" - and it might really make someone's day.

spookhorse
Feb. 8, 2006, 08:45 PM
I just want to say that I know Marilyn Greene here in KY has been known to track down her babies and buy them back if ned be or help find them homes! She's small breeder and loves them so much it's hard for her to part with them in the first place. She used to be from Louisiana so if you get a breeder of that name but listed in LA, it's probably her.

I work part time for Shelley Sutherland- Woodruff/Ledgelands farm and I know she would be happy to hear about hers http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I tracked down my first OTTB's breeder finally after his death and they were very happy to know that he had a loving home for the last years of his life despite his abuse prior to me getting him. The big farms won't get it, but the small time breeders will love it 9 times out of 10!

Twilight
Feb. 9, 2006, 06:52 AM
I was a member of the Exceller Fund when the lady from Highcliff Farm tracked down Thunder Regent. She really was delighted to reconnect with him, and I believe they ended up retiring him at Highcliff. It was pretty exciting to be a very small part of that.

I'd love to hear from anyone who ever worked for or knows Carol Thompson and her husband. The barn where I used to ride had a horse "Fairly Smart" that they had bred. He was wonderful.

Also, if anyone knows James & Susan Doukas of Maryland, they were Twilight's breeders - though her registered name is There She Was.

Linny
Feb. 9, 2006, 09:10 AM
Twilight, I'm friends with Suzie and she was ECSTATIC over Regent! She adores horses and she'd love to hear that any of "her" babies are being ridden or shown or just given a happy home.

summerly
Feb. 12, 2006, 05:03 PM
To SabinoPonyLover
I wouldn't dismiss Stronach that fast...At his beautiful training facility in Ontario he has just completed a show barn, totally gorgeous, complete with indoor and lounge, where he has many of his retired horses and has employed a trainer and such to retrain his Adena horses for a future in showing and life after the track...

mht
Feb. 12, 2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by summerly:
To SabinoPonyLover
I wouldn't dismiss Stronach that fast...At his beautiful training facility in Ontario he has just completed a show barn, totally gorgeous, complete with indoor and lounge, where he has many of his retired horses and has employed a trainer and such to retrain his Adena horses for a future in showing and life after the track...

And he also sends horses to LongRun, which is an organization that places OTTBs into new careers.

Twilight
Feb. 12, 2006, 08:12 PM
Linny that is VERY cool. One day I would love to see Highcliff Farm and meet Suzie and see Thunder Regent - he was definitely on a downhill spiral. I'm glad he's living the high life now. Exceller Fund and the other TB placements really do a super job.

Bacchus
Feb. 13, 2006, 07:50 AM
I contacted Jefe's breeder, and she responded positively. Said he looks just like his motherhttp://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Thanks for the inspiration.

CrazyDog
Feb. 14, 2006, 12:56 AM
mortly,

Does your OTTB have Good Old Mort somewhere in his pedigree? I'm curiou because of your Chronicle name and also because I leased a Good Old Mort gelding who is now 26 and still showing in the hunters.

mortly
Feb. 14, 2006, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by CrazyDog:
mortly,

Does your OTTB have Good Old Mort somewhere in his pedigree? I'm curiou because of your Chronicle name and also because I leased a Good Old Mort gelding who is now 26 and still showing in the hunters.

Nope, my nickname is Mortly!!

I've also sent off my letter and a couple pictures to Mrs. Whitham so we'll see what happens!!

moonriverfarm
Feb. 14, 2006, 08:39 AM
I have two OTTBs. One was bred in Ocala and one in NJ. I tried several times to contact someone at the Ocala farm and never got any response. He's very well bred but never broke the gate, and i figured either he was so forgettable for them that they didnt remember him, or they are too big-time to reply. The other side of that coin is the NJ bred horse. I had to do tattoo reserach to get his name, and then more research to find his breeder, Diane Boykin. I emailed her and she was very gracious in her response. She rememberes littlw quirks about him as a baby. She had sold him as a yearling, gave me the name of the people who bought him, and I then got in contact with them. Turns out they live in my state (AL) and helped me piece together the rest of the puzzle. Everyone I contacted about him rememered him and was glad to hear he has ended up in a great situation.

Because of a post here I was able to contact the track photographer where he had raced and was able to get some great workout photos of him from 2000. Persistance pays off, but some breeders just don't have the time or the interest to reply. It is always worth a shot though!

horseandhound
Feb. 16, 2006, 05:02 PM
How's this for an owner response: I contacted the owner about a TB I bought at Unadilla. They were mortified that I had him. They were led to believe that when the horse blew his tendon he had been "donated" to Cornell University. Guess that opened up a huge can of worms for the trainer! There was this beautiful boy, still with racing plates on, standing in the kill pen at Unadilla.

padockboot
Feb. 21, 2006, 11:09 AM
As an owner of several OTTB's, I've spent many hours researching their breeders, and after I've sold them on to new homes, keeping in touch with their new "parents." I've met no one who didn't want to help, even if I was on the wrong path when researching.

As for owners of the horses still at the track that need new homes, many care about where they end up and work hand in hand with organizations like CANTER and New Beginnings to do their best in sending them into new careers and loving homes.

I live in GA, and ride at a farm called Bits and Bytes. Elizabeth and Barry have great relationships with lots of trainers all over the US, and buy, retrain, and place their ex-racers into great homes. Many of the horses are owned still by their breeders or original trainers. Elizabeth has a webpage for every horse she sells, and provides "Success Stories" about all of the kids in their new homes on the farm website, www.bitsandbytesfarm.com (http://www.bitsandbytesfarm.com) .

I travelled with them last weekend to pick up my new horse, and met his trainer/owner, and also several others whose horses we picked up--all had tears in their eyes as we loaded up and drove away with their babies. Not everyone in the business is like this, but there are definitely owners out there who want to keep tabs on their horses.

VCT
Feb. 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
How have you guys tracked down the breeders of your horses? I don't have my OTTB's papers... but I know his JC name.

Sing Mia Song
Feb. 22, 2006, 03:06 PM
VCT, if you get a copy of his pedigree through www.equineline.com, (http://www.equineline.com,) it will have the breeder's name and the state where the horse was foaled. This doesn't always mean the breeder lives in that state (especially if it's KY) but it's a start. Then you can Google the name or use a tracing service (I use www.ameridex.com) (http://www.ameridex.com)). Or you can post the name here and frequently people will be able to steer you in the right direction. Sometimes if I've been really stuck, I've pulled the listing of foals out of the same mare. Then I can see if the mare has always been bred to stallions at a certain farm, which usually means the mare is boarded there year-round and the farm managers can give me contact information.

Also, if you get a race record through Equine Line, it will tell you the last recorded trainer and owner.

If you want to PT me the breeder's name, I can help you look for contact information.

Showponymom Aefvue Mid Atlantic Division
Feb. 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
I bought a allowance winning mare at Delaware Park that was on her way to New Holland. I got her papers and found the breeder to tell him that she had a good home and that she was going to be a broodmare. He sent me all her paperwork from the day she was born to when he sold her as a 3yrold. He even included her baby pictures they had taken of her and some of her siblings too. I thought that was really nice of him. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VCT
Feb. 23, 2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks Sing Mia Song!
I followed your directions and got the pedigree. I'll PT you if I can't find the breeder after a little investigation.
Thanks,

sporthorsefilly
Feb. 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
There are Breeder/Owners do care!

I had one OTTB for 28 years, just lost him last January. The Veterinarian who had helped me obtain that horse referred me to another breeder/owner who is a really wonderful caring person. She has entrusted me with three of her OTTB's. She knows that they have a great home with me for life. I also board two of her retired broodmares. We have had a great friendship for 12 years!

Jaegermonster
Mar. 3, 2006, 04:01 PM
When I bought my mare from a private seller as a three year old, I discovered she had gone through a dispersal sale for broodmares at Ocala OBS. I did a little legwork etc and tracked down some farms, so one day a friend and I drove to Ocala for the day to try to find the farms and see what we could figure out.
Totally expecting to get doors slammed in our faces, every single person at every single farm(we went to four farms) was very accomodating. At the last farm we visited, I actually spoke to the rider who had actually broke and galloped my mare. He was now the manager of the farm, and he actually remembered her, and thought well of her. I had brought a small photo album and showed him several photos of us showing etc and he was thrilled to see that she had a good home and was doing so well.
To top it all off, he stopped what he was doing to dig through some old boxes and found some gorgeous 8x10 glossy photos and stallion information on my mare's sire, which he gave me.

Here's the kicker: if anyone does anything extra while you are digging around, be sure and write a thank you note. Thoroughbred farms and people who work there are very busy. People remember things like that and it makes alot of goodwill for those who come after you digging around.
That was many years ago (the mare is still with me and 14 now and I have a filly from her), but every now and then I send him a note and photos, and always hear back from him.
So you have nothing to lose.

Swale01
Mar. 4, 2006, 08:31 PM
Reading this string is inspiring me to contact the breeder(s) of my OTTB - but I'm not sure who I should contact now...he was bred by William Naify (his breeder is officially 505 Farms) and I know they had a dispersal sale a few years back after Naify's death. Does anyone know if there's a family member of his or an entity that might still have info on my guy or be interested?

He's a 1996 colt by Bertrando, a Cal bred, and was foaled in CA. (Incidentally, I have a website up for him:Silent Thunder's Homepage (http://www.silentthunderspage.com))

Linny
Mar. 5, 2006, 02:14 PM
Marsha Naify (don't know if it's widow or daughter) is still active in California. I don't have info but I bet she could be "googled."

Flypony
Mar. 5, 2006, 03:00 PM
People love to know their horses have great homes, don't be afraid to contact them. Along the same lines.. I horse I trained two years ago just won a championship in a hunter show I was thrilled to hear about it http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Swale01
Mar. 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
I'm so glad I listened to the advice...I did a google search on Marsha Naify (turns out she was his daughter) and discovered that she's a board member with the California Owners Assn....so I emailed the organization and today I got an email from Marsha Naify!! She was glad to hear about Thunder and although she isn't familiar with him she's passing my info along to the old barn manager to see what he knows/remembers.
I was so excited to hear from her.

libgrrl
Mar. 20, 2006, 10:49 PM
What about Howard Tesher? Do you think they would have any info about one of their homebreds?

Linny
Mar. 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
I know Howie Tesher. He's in Fla right now. I see him alot over the summer at Saratoga.

moonriverfarm
Mar. 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
Anyone know anyone at Hidden Point Farm in Ocala? My boy was bred and sold from there 5 yrs ago and I'd love to get some background on him.....

War Admiral
Mar. 21, 2006, 09:44 PM
I always attempt to make contact w/ the breeder. The worst they can do is blow you off/not remember, in which case hey, at least you tried! And sometimes, as FW said, it can lead to lifelong friendships.

Avery's story is very sad. He was bred by a small-timer in South Dakota (of all the bizarre places). His sire & dam were both up in their 20s when he was foaled. I wrote to the breeder & sent a pic; the letter came back redirected to a nursing home. I promptly sent it there, and it came back marked "Deceased". :( Found out later thru much netsurfing that the farm had been sold for a subdivision. :(

From this, I surmise that Avery must have been among the very last crop this guy bred, from his much-loffed elderly mare.

I wish the marvelous old gent in South Dakota with the keen eye for European pedigrees (see: Hedgehunter) could have seen pics of the Avemaster in his forever home and been assured that someone out here in the sport horse world truly appreciated and admired his breeding program. I often think of the fun conversations we might have had. :( And every single night when I hand graze the Old Professor and marvel at that classic, European conformation, I say a prayer of thanks to that elderly breeder, I swear I do.

lmlacross
Mar. 21, 2006, 10:14 PM
Albert Fried was the owner/breeder on my horse during his racing days. His JC name is "Al's Rose"-- I have always facied that he was a special one, given the name. If anyone knows anything about Mr. Fried or Buttonwood, please let me know. I've often wondered if he wonders where his homebreds end up (mine raced until the age of six, and is now fifteen).

LML

just_me
Mar. 21, 2006, 10:34 PM
I've always wanted to contact my TBs breeder. His pedigree shows that he was bred in KY by Mr. & Mrs. Paul J. Becker Jr.

I just did a switchboard.com search and found a Paul J Becker in KY. I'm wondering if it's him.

Does the name sound familiar to anyone?

fernie fox
Mar. 21, 2006, 10:48 PM
Anyone know anyone at Hidden Point Farm in Ocala? My boy was bred and sold from there 5 yrs ago and I'd love to get some background on him.....

HHMMM....

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060228/NEWS/202280345&SearchID=73238471445953_

War Admiral
Mar. 21, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmm indeed. Certainly makes the eyebrows raise.

fernie fox
Mar. 21, 2006, 11:36 PM
Da**it.

I cant find where I read the rest of the charming comments over the last few days.:(

Lets just say ,not the kind of "press",that Ocala likes.;)

No wonder "Canter" just cant seem to get started here in Florida.:(

Shellyp
Mar. 22, 2006, 01:21 AM
I wish I could find the ppl who bred my little (BIG) guy. I would have no clue where to even look. He was not raced or anything (6months old when we got him)

Redhead310
Mar. 22, 2006, 01:49 AM
Or you can post the name here and frequently people will be able to steer you in the right direction. .

Thats what im hoping....

My horse was bred by a Mrs. Harold Cole of KY. Anyone know any contact information for her?

On the Farm
Mar. 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
Albert Fried was the owner/breeder on my horse during his racing days. His JC name is "Al's Rose"-- I have always facied that he was a special one, given the name. If anyone knows anything about Mr. Fried or Buttonwood, please let me know. I've often wondered if he wonders where his homebreds end up (mine raced until the age of six, and is now fifteen).

LML
I've worked for Mr. Fried for almost ten years now and have been his assistant farm manager for about eight months. I think Al's Rose may have been claimed away from us during my first year, so I didn't really have any hands on experience. Current farm manager Jenny Carpenter did the breaking in and early work on Al's Rose and she remembers him as being somewhat hyper, but a good horse to ride when he got down to business. His biggest vice she recalled was his occasional habit of jamming on the brakes and dropping her (or whoever was riding.)

We still have win photos of Al's Rose, as well as his dam Rosie's Way, who Mr. Fried also campaigned. We do try to ensure that no horse leaves us with an uncertain future. For those we don't keep for breeding purposes, we usually donate them to one of the SUNY brances which has an equine science/equestrian program. There the mares are usually leased out or bred in foal sharing plans and the colts/geldings are retrained for other disciplines. In fact, the SUNY branch is campaigning Carson Guy, one of our former runners.

Affirmed Success, our big horse for many years, resides now at the Kentucky Horse Park. Our previous "big horse," twenty-three year old Tinchen's Prince, still resides here. He won $953,462 the hard way in 95 races with 14 wins, 21 seconds, and 21 thirds.

May I ask though, what is Al's Rose up to now?

sidepasser
Mar. 22, 2006, 06:49 PM
I wrote my horse's stud farm - to ask for a picture of his sire - Honor and Glory - never received anything, not even acknowledgement that I requested a photo and I offered to pay...so there ya go..

But on the upside - I correspond with Honor's previous owner and send pictures though he isn't the breeder, he was the longtime owner and is concerned that Honor is doing well. I got Honor through New Vocations and I must say that those people are really nice, the horse was exactly as represented and he arrived here in good condition. I will get another horse from them in the future if I find myself in need of a good horse - Honor is the first racehorse I have owned that had zero vices - no crib/weave/stall walking, and today stood for the vet like a champ even though he was hurting due to an abscess. He was a bit snorty but never flinched. He had heart but I would have liked to have seen more of his dam, I've never been able to find a picture of her!

I think sometimes the smaller breeders are more responsive while the big "corporate" farms look at it as a business. Now if I were asking to breed to Honor and Glory, bet I would have gotten some sort of response...put me off them entirely cause who knows..I could have been an heiress with money to burn...

I have 3 off trackers - Honor is the only one I tried to contact his breeders about and got nowhere. The other two I didn't even try with, I am just glad I own them and am proud of them.

lmlacross
Mar. 22, 2006, 10:09 PM
You have a PM!
In an ideal situation, this is the kind of response an inquiry gets us...what a complete and amazing surprise! Absolutely made my night!

LML

Linny
Mar. 22, 2006, 10:12 PM
As a side note, Sidepasser...
If you contacted the farm that stands the stallion, they may well have had nothing more to do with your horse than service the dam. Honour and Glory is at Coolmore, which is VERY commercial. They breed their stallions to as many as 120 mares a season. If your horse's dam was not boarded there, she was probably on the grounds for about 1 hour. The farm would likely know nothing of your horse.
If you contact the actual breeder (owner of the mare at birth) you might get more satisfaction. Sometimes the owners of a big operation are not hands on horsemen, but when you get ahold of one of the handlers who raised your horse or broke him, THEN you get the big response.

Sambucca
Mar. 22, 2006, 11:59 PM
I am lovin this post! You have inspired me to search and try and contact the breeders of my horses. It's something I've thought of but I thought people would think I was nuts. How wonderful to know so many care.
Off to google I go. :)

race_run_jump
Mar. 23, 2006, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=sidepasser]I wrote my horse's stud farm - to ask for a picture of his sire - Honor and Glory - never received anything, not even acknowledgement that I requested a photo and I offered to pay...so there ya go..

Here you go:

http://www.coolmore.com/stallions/HONOUR_AND_GLORY/index.asp?CountryID=2&Country=America&StallionID=9

www.coolmore.com

just_me
Mar. 23, 2006, 05:51 PM
I called the number I found on switchboard.com for the same name as my horse's breeder. The guy wasn't the breeder, but he knows them and thought they'd want to talk with me. He took my phone number and the horse's registered name. Hopefully, they'll contact me. :winkgrin:

Shellyp
Apr. 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
How can you go about finding who the breeder was of a TB? I have a friend looking to find out where exactly her OTTB came from. She aquired him from a rescue and was given very little info aside. His name is: Cool Hero

Jessi P
Apr. 3, 2006, 01:33 PM
There are 2 COol Heros listed

Registered Thoroughbred
Name: Cool Hero
Dam: Coolbythepool
Certificate Issued Date: 9/15/04
Foaling Year: 2004
Sex: Colt
Breeder: Town & Country Farms Corp.
DNA Sample: Posted

Registered Thoroughbred
Name: Cool Hero
Dam: Icy Reef
Certificate Issued Date: 5/14/96
Foaling Year: 1995
Sex: Horse
Breeder: Henry J. Taub
DNA Sample: Frozen blood sample is likely to be available

Sing Mia Song
Apr. 3, 2006, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing it's the second Cool Hero if the horse came from a rescue. There's a Henry J. Taub in Houston, TX. Infospace says his phone number is 713-733-1008.

Good luck and report back!

Shellyp
Apr. 3, 2006, 06:13 PM
Thank you Sing and hobie! He is the second one listed. I am passing this info on to my friend.

Fred
Apr. 3, 2006, 07:38 PM
so mortly, have you heard back? keep us posted.
I used to breed TBs for the track and I definitely try to keep track of where they went and where they are now. Some I know where they are, and some I have lost. :(
I bred one colt a few years ago, and I lost track of him, and was kind of afraid to find out what happened to him.
Then one day I was looking at some eventing results and a horse with that name was end of year champion. I tried to locate the owners, but got no response from them and after a while found the eventing trainer who had bought him off the track - "best horse she ever had" she said ..
at any rate, last summer I went to a HT and saw him there. I was so happy to see him (I'd like to see him a bit fatter) but the young girl who has him now obviously loves him, and he does really well at eventing. I was quite teary that day.
Another filly I sold as a yearling is still owned by the trainer who claimed her (second owner after me) and is a broodmare for her. She and I call each other once in a while. Others I have bought back, and others I often wonder where they are. I would LOVE it if their new owners would contact me.

One of my broodmares was owned and bred by George Steinbrenner - I often thought of calling him up...;)

Penthilisea
Apr. 3, 2006, 08:15 PM
Anyone know a vet named Laurence J. Littman in PA? He bred my TB, Noble's Lil' Falcon. Noble's Lil Girl was the dam and had 3 or 4 other foals- I'd be curious as to her whereabouts and such, especially since my guy was some wild sabino markings.

Susan P
Apr. 3, 2006, 09:01 PM
I know a few breeders/trainers who do really care and of course there are plenty that don't. I would say there's a good chance that since your horse didn't end up at the slaughterhouse his breeder/owner does care. It's very possible that they would love to hear that he is happy and well and in a new loving home doing something productive. My neighbor trained a horse that ended up at the slaughterhouse and we tried to get her out before it was too late. He was contacted and he said he would put up $100 towards her purchase but he didn't want her back. He didn't own the horse but did train her for a bit. He trains a lot of horses and is a breeder too so he could have offered nothing. Sadly it was too little too late to help this poor girl.

I'm a sentimental slob so I would say go for it, you've got a name and you could probably find her easily enough. The Jockey Club might help or you might just put her name into a Google search and ad the word race or race horse, breeder or whatever else you can think of and I bet you come up with something to trace her especially if you can find her home state.

I'm curious as an OTTB owner if the breeders or previous owners ever wonder or would like to know to where their one-time horses end up.

My horse was bred by Janis Whitham and I've been tempted to contact her (not really sure how though!) and let her know where he is and that he's happy enjoying a new life, but I wasn't sure if the big-time breeder/owners even really cared??

Glimmerglass
Apr. 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
A relavant article:

TB Times 4-10-06 "Stakes winner saved from slaughter, returned to birthplace" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/thisweek/weekview.asp?recno=63149&subsec=)

Notable Frosty will spend the rest of his life at Golden Hawk Farm
April 10, 2006 - Thoroughbred Times

After Notably Frosty passed through the hands of more than a half-dozen owners since 2003, the striking gray gelding finally earned a trip home when he caught the eye of Kelly Young at the New Holland Sales Stables on April 3.

Young regularly has attended the Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, sale for the past 13 years and frequently sees Thoroughbreds purchased for slaughter. Her not-for-profit organization generally has enough money to buy one horse a week. Although she did not know the name or racing accomplishments of the gray gelding in the ring on April 3, she entered the bidding.

"I felt an immediate connection to him when he walked into the ring," said Young, director of Lost and Found Horse Rescue Foundation in York, Pennsylvania. "It was just me and the meat man bidding, and I knew I was supposed to have this horse. I had no idea who he was. He had a ton of presence about him, and I knew he didn't deserve this fate."

Young soon learned the horse's name: Notably Frosty, a ten-year-old Alaskan Frost gelding who won two stakes races and $401,896 in a seven-season career. Thanks to Young's winning $525 bid, the gelding is headed for retirement at his breeders' Ocala farm instead of a slaughterhouse.

Notably Frosty's papers came with him, so Young contacted Chris Heyde of the Animal Welfare Institute in Washington, D.C., and Heyde looked up the gelding's history. Young soon was able to find Notably Frosty's breeders, Patti and Arthur "Hawk" Hawkesworth Jr.

The Ocala couple sold Notably Frosty privately for $88,000 in 2001 after he made 20 starts and earned $95,320 for them and Don Ferland. Notably Frosty won the $40,000 Park Heights Claiming Stakes later that year at Pimlico Race Course and the $40,000 HBPA Jefferson County Stakes at Charles Town Races in 2002 for owner-trainer John Alecci.

Notably Frosty was claimed for $40,000 on May 15, 2003, at Pimlico, and the then-seven-year-old gradually descended the claiming ranks. No doubt slowing down after more than 50 career starts, he still proved popular at the claims box, changing hands eight more times.

The Hawkesworths kept track of Notably Frosty's career, but he fell off their radar screen sometime after he finished second in a $4,000 claiming race at Charles Town on October 13 for owner-trainer Donald Poper in the final start of his career.

Ecstatic to hear their horse had been saved, the Hawkesworths agreed to let him live at their Golden Hawk Farm. Patti Hawkesworth cried when Young told her about finding the gelding.

"When he was a baby, he was the only colt we had that year," Patti Hawkesworth said. "He grew up in a field by himself, and he used to play with my dog and play with the tractor. I want to find a way to get him back in the same paddock he grew up in. This is the greatest story in the world."

A self-described backyard breeder, Arthur Hawkesworth Jr. bred multiple stakes winner and 1984 Kentucky Derby (G1) starter Rexson's Hope. The couple has 19 horses at Golden Hawk. Three of those 19 are retirees, including Cruise the Sea, a 1982 Cruise On In horse who suffered a fractured sesamoid during a race in his juvenile season where he led eventual Florida Derby (G1) and Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) winner Proud Truth.

After a brief attempt at a career as a stallion, Cruise the Sea has been living with the Hawkesworths since 1984. "He still likes to run or limp around out there," Arthur Hawkesworth said.

"Frosty was good to us," he continued, before his wife completed the thought, "and now we're going to be good to him. It's as simple as that."--Pete Denk

HunterJumperKid
Apr. 16, 2006, 12:16 AM
I have been trying to locate my OTTB breeders for sometime but i never find a full adress. Had any one heard of Nacy Yearsley and J. Garvan Kelly(EIRE Farm in Oklahoma)? My horse's trainer/owner??? was Bill Morey from Golden Gate Fields. Has anyone heard of either of these names before?

Stellaspeed
Apr. 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi, Nancy Yearsley is a bloodstock agent and also has Yearsley Insurance in Lexington and California . She and Garvan owned the Argentinian stallions Paranoide, Gold Spring, and Pancho Press, and I believe Moscow Ballet. I have a Paranoide filly, two Gold Springs and Pancho Press is living the high life in Grand Haven Michigan. Nancy ALWAYS loves hearing about any horse she's had a connection with.

mortly
Apr. 17, 2006, 01:59 PM
Well, I did send off a letter but haven't heard anything. Not that I really expected to, I'm pretty sure Mrs. Whitham has better things to do!! I just figured I'd let her know where he is and that he's happy!

Fred
Apr. 18, 2006, 11:36 AM
good for you mortly. I hope you hear back.
re Frosty - it's great that the TT published that nice article - it is important to raise awareness of what can and does happen. All those starts, including a 2nd in his last start - so he was still trying his heart out - and he was still sold to the kill pen.
How does his owner/trainer Poper justify that?

Wind
Apr. 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
You guys have me on a roll. I purchased a OTTB named T.B.'s Storm last year. I found out the his trainer's name (Scott Lake) to see if the horse sustained a racing injury and to find out what type of a horse to deal with T.B.'s Storm was. I also found out my horse's breeder's name was Theodore J. Bottomley (FL), but could not find any information. I would like to contact him also, guess like everybody else here to find out more about their horse. Any body have any leads? Thank you!

Bensmom
May. 1, 2006, 01:12 PM
What a great thread!

I've been able to find out barn names for two OTTBs -- one mine and one a friend's -- by contacting the breeders/owners at birth. Buzz was owned by an AQHA breeder who bought his mom already bred. The guy that they sold him to had never given him a barn name, but when he was a yearling, they called him Buzz because he was always buzzing everywhere and into everything! He was still like that as a five year old! ;) :lol: So, that is what we decided to call him. The lady was delighted to hear where he had ended up, even though their breeding program was for english pleasure AQHA hunters and they sold the two TBs at the Ocala yearling sales (planning to breed the moms to their AQHA stallion), she still really cared where he had ended up and even sent me baby pics of him. :)

On my friend's OTTB, he was listed as bred by some florida breeders who were absolutely delighted to talk to me and remembered the horse and his barn name, which his new owner uses for him. They follow all of their babies racing results as far as they can and have bought at least one back to retire them -- she said sometimes they just fall off the radar and they can't find them later. :( But, she was so happy to hear that he got a great home!

In Sam's case, I was able to contact the farm that bred him (Fares Farm in Lexington) and oddly enough, even though the whole operation has really changed since Mr. Fares' death, the super nice lady in the office remembered his name, and was able to pull his file and give me a lot of info, including the phone number of the trainer who had him first in Texas. He was able to fill me in on some of the missing years in his race record and some more info.

In Ben's case, he was bred to be racing QH -- despite 6 homes between his breeder and me, I was able to find her and she wanted pics and everything. She put me in touch with the man that had bought his mom and I stayed in touch with him until he lost her to colic. :( It helped so much to have found the breeder because she could explain all his scars and why he didn't make it to the track. (Jumped a four foot gate as a 18 month old and had a "hard rub" that removed most of the skin from the knee down. Ouch! -- it did properly predict his affinity for jumping later, though! :) )

Everyone I talked to was incredibly nice and it was so worth the trouble to track people down -- somehow it helps me to know what their "stories" are. :)

Libby

Miss Maddie
May. 1, 2006, 02:40 PM
This is a very inspiring thread, I would love to have some more information about the OTTB I bought from Penn National last year.

His JC name is Turkish Lad, he was bred by Paul Esposito of Casino Royale Farms in Pennsylvania. The owner on his papers before me was Caroline Allen, I don't know who owned him before that. I have been googling and haven't been able to find any contact information for Paul Esposito or even any info about Caroline. Does anyone know anything about Casino Royale Farms, or have contact information?

Thank you!

trakmom
May. 1, 2006, 03:34 PM
My mare, I believe, must have been named after her breeder. Her name is Lookin For Bernie and her breeder is Bernard Flynt who's now a trainer. I thought about contacting him, especilly after Bernie gave me a beautiful Anglo-Trakehner filly, but never did.

catknsn
May. 1, 2006, 09:45 PM
Are there any AQHA members here who would be kind enough to tell me the breeder of my new horse? Reg. name Private Legs, 1988 Appendix mare, reg. no X0423490.

Gucci
May. 1, 2006, 11:22 PM
I would love to know more about my boy.
Racing name was Professor Moriarty, he was born in KY, feb13/92
Sire was Devils Bag, Dam was Bare Stage, does anyone have an idea?

Jessi P
May. 2, 2006, 12:09 AM
Your boy is a stakes placed winner of $155k, with 7 wins, 9 seconds, 5 thirds. :D :D :D His best racing came going a route of ground on dirt. He raced in Canada and Hong Kong? Not sure where the other races are held, maybe someone else will know. For more info on interpreting the following see the Racing 101 thread.

Nice horse!!

1992 Professor Moriarty,Ch,c,Devil's Bag 5 38 7 9 5 155,588 (101) 2.62
North America Turf Record 3 0 0 0 4,950 ( 95)
North America Dirt Sprints 11 2 2 2 17,575 ( 91)
North America Dirt Routes 24 5 7 3 133,064 (101)
North America Muddy/Sloppy 6 0 3 1 16,590 ( 94)
DP = 5-3-18-11-7 DI = 0.63 CD = -0.27 AWD = 8.00
At 4 2nd British Columbia Premier's Chp. Hcp -L (121,900), Sir Winston
Churchill Handicap (O) (44,000), Au Revoir Handicap (R) (O) (25,900)
At 5 2nd Hong Kong Jockey Club Handicap (O) (40,900), Sun H. (O) (34,300),
3rd Johnny Longden 6,000 Handicap (O) (45,400)
Sold at Hip # Sales Price Sire Avg Rank Stud Fee
KEENOV 1994 62 $4,000 $44,900 2yo (10/10) $20,000

Gucci
May. 2, 2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks so much for the info. :)

catknsn
May. 2, 2006, 02:51 AM
Wow, Gucci, you really have a star there! What is he doing now?

Gucci
May. 2, 2006, 10:26 AM
Well..
I bought him for a hack horse, he has a bonechip so I was told he shouldn't work to hard.
I had the leg x-rayed , chip wasto big, to old to remove
I have taken him to a few schooling shows, and other than that we are hacking and enjoying, he is an absolute star, bomb proof and very, very kind.
So I guess he's kind of in early retirement, loving life and being spoiled. :)

I love this horse, he is worth his weight in gold (right now that would make me rich, he is pleasntly plump :D)
I know he raced until he was 8, that's a long career isn't it?

Merrylegs
May. 2, 2006, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know anything about Hargus and Sandra Sexton from Kentucky? They bred my OTTB, Sad Winter. Thanks.

summerhorse
May. 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah 8 seasons is a good long career esp. to ONLY come out of it with a bone chip!

catknsn
May. 2, 2006, 04:35 PM
Gucci, that's just so great that he has a loving home with someone who is OK with him not being up to super hard work anymore. He's earned it.

chism
May. 2, 2006, 04:52 PM
I would love to know more about my gelding Code Wind. I've had him for 4 years. I know he raced until he was 8, had 75 starts, was bought at auction by the owner of the rescue I purchased him from. He was bred by Rainbow Stables in MD and last owned by Lucy Webb.

Nlevie
May. 3, 2006, 01:39 PM
Here's the ownership summary for this mare -
HORSE OWNERSHIP SUMMARY
REG. NO. HORSE'S NAME COLOR SEX DATE FOAL ST
X0423490 PRIVATE LEGS PALOMINO MARE 04/01/1988 OK

SIRE DAM MATERNAL GRANDSIRE
T0283256 BUCK PRIVATE (TB) 1236193 YELLOW FLY LEO 0087023 MERRY LEO

DESCRIPTION NAME ADDRESS DATE OF SALE DATE TRANSFER RECORDED
BREEDER : ROBERT K RATLIFF CATOOSA, OK N/A N/A
CURRENT OWNER : ANN IVERSON CLAREMORE, OK 07/22/1991 08/26/1996
2ND PREV OWNER : ROBERT K RATLIFF CATOOSA, OK 04/01/1988 N/A

Good luck -

Hannahsmom
May. 3, 2006, 01:40 PM
I bought my boy from a small breeder in Paris, KY. My boy didn't do so well racing so she sold him to me. She was thrilled with how well he has done eventing and has come out to see him. He is my favorite horse of all time and he will live out all his days with me (as have all my horses). I'm sure these breeders are happy to know that so it's worth a try to contact them.

vxf111
May. 3, 2006, 06:46 PM
I bought my OTTB from mapleshade (Margaret) who (as I understand it) got him directly from the breeder. She had both my horse Shane and his full sib. Margaret couldn't have acquired him more than a few months before I bought him. I bought him in September, so I thought it would be nice for x-mas to send his breeder a card and tons of pictures letting her know how he was doing. She had him until he was 4 and she had his full sib until she was 5, and had JUST sold them, No response. I sent her a progression of pictures I had taken once a month since I got him, pictures of him frolicking on turnout with his brother, along with some under saddle pictures and pictures from his first schooling show. Nothing. I was so dissapointed. I'd have loved to have hear about him as a foal.

On the plus side, jenarby knew Shane when he was fresh off the track and she knows his sire and she sent me some lovely pictures of his "extended family" that I treasure. I just would have liked to have had baby pictures. Oh well....