PDA

View Full Version : Darn snow! I just broke down...

fordtraktor
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:01 AM
and ordered 4 heated water buckets from SmartPak. Please tell me that my horses and I deserve them! So tired of breaking ice and worrying about whether they are drinking enough.

LauraKY
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:06 AM
Yes, you do. My outside troughs are heated (except last night, when DH unplugged it and forgot to plug it back in), every stall has one heated bucket. I usually fill them up in the early afternoon so the water is nice and warm when I bring the horses in.

EqTrainer
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
Well.. Do keep an eye on things.. I have more than one horse who will not drink out of a heated bucket.

LauraKY
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
Well.. Do keep an eye on things.. I have more than one horse who will not drink out of a heated bucket.

Very true. I didn't mention that I always hang two buckets, one heated, one unheated.

They don't get a choice outside, but I watch new horses to make sure they will drink out of the heated trough.

fordtraktor
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
Really? They know that it is less work, and thus must reject it, I suppose. Fingers crossed -- I know 3 of the 4 will drink from them as they have been in barns with heated buckets before with no issues.

Drive NJ
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:43 AM
Make SURE the bucket never empties or will turn off if empty. A lot of fires have been set by the heating element in these heated buckets.

Lost one horse and another injured in a fire, so we're very sensitive to fire risks.

SmartAlex
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:46 AM
We have one in our turn out area, and use one for soaking beet pulp. Love em! If it didn't require rewiring the barn, I'd have more.

Of course, all the horses still want us to hold the "special" bucket with warm water from the house anyway.

wildlifer
Dec. 7, 2010, 11:06 AM
You do. You will love them. All our stock tanks are heated and each horse has a heated muck-bucket sized tub in their stall. They love them to a one and happily slurp up the warm water with obvious relish. Breaking ice suuuuuuuuuucks and the tubs are worth every single cent. We do keep them very clean and very full and have never had any issues.

ReSomething
Dec. 8, 2010, 02:16 AM
Heated muck buckets are one of my favorite things. I don't think we would have made it through last winter without them and the tank heaters. This winter we got one more and we have just about the right number. Of course you deserve them!

Paddys Mom
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:48 AM
I absolutely positively love my heated buckets...except when someone makes poop soup.

It is a pain to unplug and bucket and feed the cord back through the hole in the stall wall so I simply dump the bucket into another bucket for day to day cleaning. But when there is poop soup, the bucket has to come out for scrubbing. Ugh!!

sar2008
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:43 AM
Make SURE the bucket never empties or will turn off if empty. A lot of fires have been set by the heating element in these heated buckets.

Lost one horse and another injured in a fire, so we're very sensitive to fire risks.

This happened at a barn I used to board at when I was younger. The guys forgot to fill one of the heated bucked and the plastic melted and caught fire (small). Luckily a boarder was there getting ready to ride, unplugged it and doused it with h2o.

rememberthenight
Dec. 8, 2010, 04:48 PM
You will LOVE them. I have one in each of my stalls and a few outside! They make chores 10x better!!!

fivehorses
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:16 PM
I absolutely positively love my heated buckets...except when someone makes poop soup.

It is a pain to unplug and bucket and feed the cord back through the hole in the stall wall so I simply dump the bucket into another bucket for day to day cleaning. But when there is poop soup, the bucket has to come out for scrubbing. Ugh!!

That is how I do it too.
I have used them for years, and have to say they are one of the best inventions for winter horse keeping.

I have been using the insulated buckets vs the heated ones this fall, but just switched to the electric..the insulated ones were freezing by morning. in winter, I like my horses always having palatable water so they drink.

King's Ransom
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:15 PM
I just got heated buckets installed last weekend. YOU WILL LOVE THEM! I, too, used insulated buckets last year. Better than non-insulated, but don't hold a candle to the heated. Wow, I just cannot say how much better life is with those heated buckets!

Just a tip -- had the electricity run by a certified, licensed electrician. This gives me a lot of peace of mind. Each one is one has its own GFCI outlet. All totally up-to-code (maybe beyond).

GallopHer
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have a heated bucket for each stall and I love them. When I built my barn, I had holes drilled in the front of each stall to allow the cord to be run though the wall and to the outlet outside of each stall. I sleep better on cold and rainy nights, knowing that my stall water buckets will no longer freeze.

Best of luck.

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
My bank barn stays so warm the water buckets never freeze unless we get below zero for several days... BUT... The new barn, a steel barn, is SOOOO cold. Heated water buckets are a must. You'll be so glad to have them! Well worth the money!

Hinderella
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
I can't have a heated bucket at my barn, so when my pony was stuck inside on stall rest last winter I bought bucket covers from a company called Wild Angel Cozy. They're insulated nylon covers that surround and partially cover the buckets. I would put warm water into the buckets each morning, and they would stay thawed until the next morning, except when the temps got to single digits and below..and even then only a thin skim of ice.

fordtraktor
Dec. 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
The buckets arrived yesterday (thanks SmartPak!) and were a huge success! Horses drank out of them greedily.

The only drama was the sparks flying out of my poor overstressed drill while I was having at it with the wood auger drilling holes in the front of the stalls for the cords. That was a little dicey at times but it got done -- now the horses can't electrocute themselves, so it's all good.

dmalbone
Dec. 11, 2010, 01:06 PM
Oh my goodness you'll love them!! This is the first winter (since I'm finally at home and can do things MY way) that I haven't had to break ice and I am in HEAVEN. As soon as my water hydrant is hooked up I have the heated hose sitting here too! I have a heated bucket in each stall and had outlets put right next to it so no scary extension cords are needed. I have a heated much bucket in each paddock also. I have a pony who drinks tons so I emailed and made sure that the particular buckets I have WILL shut off when empty. It is funny though watching them get a drink and then walking away with icy whiskers from the cold air.

Sunnyhorse
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:31 AM
You do. You will love them. All our stock tanks are heated and each horse has a heated muck-bucket sized tub in their stall. They love them to a one and happily slurp up the warm water with obvious relish. Breaking ice suuuuuuuuuucks and the tubs are worth every single cent. We do keep them very clean and very full and have never had any issues.

Wildlifer, I take it it's safe to have one of the heated tubs sitting in shavings? Or do you somehow wall it off from the bedding? (The newest inhabitant of my barn is a bucket-destroying cribber, so I can't use a heated bucket in his stall as I do for my other two, but I thought maybe a tub would work for him.)