PDA

View Full Version : Hauling horses and AAA

workinggirl
Dec. 6, 2010, 06:51 PM
I just found out AAA doesn't do anything for my horses/horse trailer. What type of insurance or coverage can I get that will help me if I break down with horses in my trailer, or worse, have an accident? thanks for all replies.

JSwan
Dec. 6, 2010, 07:04 PM
US Rider

http://www.usrider.org/

wildlifer
Dec. 6, 2010, 08:49 PM
Ditto.

MHM
Dec. 6, 2010, 09:02 PM
I've had USRider for a couple of years, and I've had pretty good luck with them. There's a thread on Off Course right now with some people who have not had good luck with them, so you might want to glance at that.

Someone on that thread also mentioned a road service program for AQHA members, which was news to me.

hosspuller
Dec. 6, 2010, 09:48 PM
I've had USRider for a couple of years, and I've had pretty good luck with them. There's a thread on Off Course right now with some people who have not had good luck with them, so you might want to glance at that.

Someone on that thread also mentioned a road service program for AQHA members, which was news to me.

Similar to MHM ... USRider is 3 for 3 by me. They have served me well. Understand, like all road services, they have to rely on various contracted providers. Not all providers are available or superior. But USRider does answer their phone with "Are you and the HORSES safe ? ":yes:

Dance_To_Oblivion
Dec. 6, 2010, 10:33 PM
USRider has been good to me thus far :)

MaybeMorgan
Dec. 6, 2010, 11:16 PM
Has anyone used US Rider for cars as well? I've had AAA for years - do I need both?

MHM
Dec. 7, 2010, 12:04 AM
Has anyone used US Rider for cars as well? I've had AAA for years - do I need both?

Yes, I've used them for cars. The service was the same.

I had been a AAA member for many years, but I didn't renew it after I signed up with USRider. I thought of keeping AAA since many businesses, especially hotels, give a AAA discount, but I didn't think it would be worth the cost of membership.

USRider also has discounts, but I think they're not as widely known.

SLW
Dec. 7, 2010, 12:26 AM
If your horse trailer has a dressing room which doubles as 'sleeping quarters' then it is covered if you purchase AAA RV Plus. That is how mine is covered and has been towed with no problem.

As for the horse, it was the kindness of the tow truck driver and AAA approved shop where the truck was being hauled that helped make arrangements.

US Rider is probably a better deal but I have had good luck with AAA RV Plus.

alabama
Dec. 7, 2010, 12:37 AM
I didn't renew my AAA after they wouldn't come tow me out of a mucky spot my car was mired in on a county dirt road. You have to be on a paved road to get service from them.

I switched to USRider and have been very happy with them. I've only had to use them for my car so far but it is nice to know that my trailer and horses would be cared for if I needed that.

MHM
Dec. 7, 2010, 12:38 AM
SLW, it seems to vary from state to state, or maybe contractor to contractor.

Some people on different threads have said the AAA contractor would not touch a horse trailer of any kind, even with the RV Plus. That also happened to me.

Liberty
Dec. 7, 2010, 01:04 AM
US Rider has been excellent to me both times I had to use them. Quick response time, knowledgeable tow truck driver (the 2nd time he even noticed what had gone wrong with my truck when it was being winched up on the rollback truck).

The first time, I had to have my truck transported 40 miles; the second time, I was a little closer (about 20 miles). All I had to do was sign my name on the driver's transport paper. No having to dig out my membership card, etc.

The US Rider rep kept in close contact with me while I was waiting for my tow, even calling to say when the driver was approaching. I looked over, and there he was. :cool:

Also, it used to be (don't know if that's still the case), AAA would only cover towing to a AAA-approved garage or the member's home. US Rider will cover transport of your vehicle to the garage of your choice (up to 100 miles, if I remember rightly).

Also, at least in my part of VA, AAA absolutely will NOT touch a horse trailer, LQ or not. Not even with AAA RV+. No matter, though, since US Rider has been way better than AAA ever was over the nearly 30 years I had AAA coverage.

I also greatly benefit from US Rider's membership discount with HorseTech since that's where I buy my custom-blended flaxseed feed mix. The 10% discount on those purchases alone really adds up. There are many other horse supply places that offer US Rider discounts as well.

workinggirl
Dec. 7, 2010, 06:16 AM
Thanks all for the info- looks like I'll be calling USRider.

Guilherme
Dec. 7, 2010, 08:12 AM
AAA left me standing at a gas pump at a Flying J in KY. I wrote about it here. It was not pleasant.

We have USRider for the truck and trailer. We keep AAA for the car. There are some AAA services that USRider does not duplicate (travel assisance, TripTiks, insurance, etc.). We have an AAA service package that provides what we need. We've tried some of the USRider "ancillary" services and find them tepid, at best. We almost had to use USRider in October and they seemed to respond reasonably well, but were able to solve the problem without assistance.

AAA is not suitable is you haul horses. USRider seems to enjoy a good reputation overall.

G.

Kementari
Dec. 7, 2010, 05:47 PM
I knew someone several years ago who had AAA RV coverage and needed the battery in her truck jumped. AAA sub showed up, saw that she had a trailer hooked up with horses in it, and refused to touch the rig. Wouldn't even put jumper cables on it, even though the problem had nothing to do with the trailer (she'd left her headlights on all day at a show). AAA confirmed that that was their policy, not just the sub being an idiot.

I can't remember what state it was (mid-Atlantic), but I gather AAA response to incidents involving horse trailers varies by region. Since I don't want to find out on a dark, stormy night that I've wandered into a region where they WON'T help me, I have USRider. The one time I've needed them, they were great. :yes:

jenm
Dec. 7, 2010, 06:02 PM
I didn't renew my AAA after they wouldn't come tow me out of a mucky spot my car was mired in on a county dirt road. You have to be on a paved road to get service from them.

You must have a bad AAA office out there. I've seen them come out to our barn twice to tow cars out of the mud.

JeanM
Dec. 7, 2010, 07:06 PM
If you're fortunate enough to have USAA for an insurer, they'll help with a horse trailer.

Hunter Mom
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:15 PM
We had them come to change a tire on a trailer once, whihc was a 2 horse BP without LQ - we had unloaded the horses though. They did so because of the RV coverage.

darrin
Dec. 10, 2010, 01:32 AM
If you're fortunate enough to have USAA for an insurer, they'll help with a horse trailer.

JeanM, how do you mean USAA will help with a horse trailer? I have full coverage on my truck and the trailer is insured with USAA as well. I also have AAA and US Rider. Seems I may be overinsured? :eek:

JeanM
Dec. 10, 2010, 06:28 PM
Darrin, I used to have AAA as well as USAA. then I asked the USAA person on the phone about it, having learned how "useful" AAA would be for a horse trailer. Call the USAA 800 number and ask about it... it's been a little while so I wouldn't want to give wrong info, but I dropped AAA right after I talked to the USAA person. :yes: