PDA

View Full Version : New trailer- some questions.

Mukluk
Dec. 6, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone. I now have a new trailer-mid 80's, steel, circle J, 2 horse straight load. It is not my ideal trailer but it is in good condition and the price was right. Will likely upgrade to something better (taller, non-manger style) in the next year or two

Some questions:

1. Horses need some sort of tail wrap as they muss up their tails. What is the best, easiest kind to use?

2. This trailer has limited storage space (under manager) and tow vehicle lacks much cab room. Anyone know of any sort of "truck box" or homemade alternative that could be installed in the back of the pickup that could provide more storage? The truck tool boxes look kind of shallow off hand (and the metal ones are pretty pricey.

Thanks so much!!!

Leather
Dec. 6, 2010, 11:39 AM
What about a truck bed cover? I have this one and really like it: http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-cover.php

Or if that's not secure enough, you could do a cap/topper. Check out your local Craigslist for a decent deal.

Re: tail wrapping, a friend of mine had a good luck with putting more padding on the butt bar rather than wrapping the tail for one of her horses that liked to "sit" on the back door.

stillknotreel
Dec. 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
There's a lot of tool boxes you can buy if you still need all of your bed space. They are pricey though, and often aren't enough for most people.

I do like Tonneau covers (http://www.tonneaucoversworld.com/?gclid=CL-G3NaA2KUCFVdn5QodDXRzyQ).

I used to have a fiberglass bed cover from Snugtop. I loved it. If you don't need to be using your bed for much, or want it well covered from the elements it's a great investment. (http://www.snugtop.com/products/tonneau_covers.php).

I do have mine for sale if interested.

Tonneau covers are probably your best option unless you're looking for something a bit more permanent.

asterix
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:42 AM
My horse who rubs his tail came (when I bought him) with a tail wrap from professional's choice that velcros on...very easy.

wildlifer
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I use a generic velcro tail wrap for my guy too, he likes to lean on the butt bar for balance. Even though it's very padded, he still makes a mess of his tail if I don't wrap it.

I have a cap on my truck, which, although it detracts from truck sexiness, is truly awesome for carrying stuff, camping in, storage, etc. It came with the truck, which is the only reason I have it, but now that I've used one, I'd be much more likely to buy one if I didn't have it.

Mukluk
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:26 AM
I am going to rule out the truck tool boxes, they are just too small and even used, are pretty pricey. I'll be checking craigslist for shell or tonneau options. At the very least, it would be nice to have a large "box" that could fit in the back of the truck and be used for storage- perhaps one of those plastic outdoor garden storage boxes would work. We would of course secure it to the vehicle with something that would hold it in place and deter the garden variety thief.