PDA

View Full Version : Grass seeding 101 ...

TrueColours
Dec. 5, 2010, 06:08 PM
In October when I closed down one of my grass paddocks, I threw some grass/pasture seed down on the bare spots, as we were expecting a mild stretch and some moisture as well.

Its stayed mild for about 7-9 days (high 50's and I think it hit 60F once or twice as well) but none of the seed germinated

Is it toast now for 2011 germination? Or will it be like frost seeding in the spring and will some of it actually catch once the ground thaws and we get warmer temps

Just curious more than anything if Ive wasted about $75.00 - $100.00 on grass seed for this paddock or if there is a remote chance some of it may actually grow!

farmgirl598
Dec. 5, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this, too. I have 8 acres to reseed and "de-weed". I need to know the most effective way to do this....

Kestrel
Dec. 5, 2010, 08:45 PM
We seeded a lawn in the fall of 2009. Barely anything came up that fall and it took about 5 weeks to see anything, but through the next spring we got a pretty good germination. I wouldn't write it off just yet.

fivehorses
Dec. 5, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have heard now is a good time to seed here in NH.
As long as the seed does not germinate, it gets pushed into the ground during the frost/thaw during the day.

In the spring it is suppose to come up.

It kind of makes sense, but have I gone out and put down seed...no.

However, anyone have any veggies they throw out into the compost, or leave in the garden, and it comes up the next spring...same kind of idea.

So,next spring, let us know if the seed comes up, we can all learn. Nothing you can do about it now if its a loss.
Good luck. I am betting it will come up.

ladybugred
Dec. 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure about the grass seed, but Iget a lot of volunteer tomatoes in the spring. The seeds sit in the soil from fall, thru winter, into spring. Probably work for grass seed, same thing would happen in the wild.

Don't write it off, think warm thoughts!!

LBR

LisaB
Dec. 6, 2010, 07:25 AM
Down here we have frost seeding. I did it last year and totally worked. Search frost seeding for your area and it will show you when a good time to do is.

TrueColours
Dec. 6, 2010, 09:53 AM
Lisa - Ive done frost seeding as well but that is in March and not the fall before ... ;)

I am just really curious if these seeds have a hope in Hell of germinating at all, having been scattered in October and now having to wait 7-8 months for the warm weather to germinate

HPFarmette
Dec. 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
The only reason they wouldn't germinate is if they rotted from moisture. Seeds are good survivors. Scientists were able to germinate some wheat seeds that were found in the pyramids.

fivehorses
Dec. 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
The only reason they wouldn't germinate is if they rotted from moisture. Seeds are good survivors. Scientists were able to germinate some wheat seeds that were found in the pyramids.

that is exactly what I was told...don't seed in a wet area, since come spring the seed will rot.

I have a back pasture that is dry, and I am going to put the seed down this week, before the snow arrives. that way it will come up on its own in the spring.

Tom King
Dec. 6, 2010, 05:07 PM
Often seeding is a gamble. I wish my gambles were only 75 to 100 bucks. It'll come up when the ground temp is warm enough.

JSwan
Dec. 6, 2010, 10:13 PM
Where I live it's customary to frost seed clover in February.