PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the parents warm... outdoor heating

Starting-Point-Stables
Dec. 5, 2010, 01:45 PM
Give me your experiences on outdoor heaters.

I have a small classroom with a window out to our riding arena, but most parents would rather sit ring side, esp for parents and children in our leadline program (the kids sit outside the ring waiting their riding turn).

I'm ready to purchase outdoor heating and am looking for your experiences with it.

I know there is electric - infer red - propane.

Currently I have no outdoor structure so I am also taking that into consideration (wind block will be number 1, not sure how relevant a roof is if you are not going to totally enclose the structure).

Thanks! :)

Alagirl
Dec. 5, 2010, 01:48 PM
Frankly, if a warm room is provided, I'd say they make their choice.

However, propane heaters make for a pretty toasty area near by in a hurry.

You just buy a big tank and the heater attachment....

CatOnLap
Dec. 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
propane heaters are quite expensive to run.

How about providing a heated bench seat, like they have in some stadiums? I know being able to sit on a heated seat spread the warmth all over my body. And my dogs love their heating mats in their outdoor kennel.

here's one that plugs in and recharges and then runs for 5-7 hours on a charge (http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/benchwarmer.html)

Starting-Point-Stables
Dec. 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
CatOnLap - your tip... was it given to you by your cat? LOL :) hehehe.

That is an awesome idea! I dont really know what a stadium seat heater is but... Hmmm. An extension cord, power strip and a few electric blankets. LOL Problem solved in a cost effective easy to procure and easy to clean up solution. :)

KISS - keepin' it simple, stupid. hehehe. I love it.

Thanks! :)

JoZ
Dec. 6, 2010, 02:01 PM
I like the idea of the heated seat warmers, and maybe a supply of the little hand/foot warmers that are pretty inexpensive. Big comfy blankets (electric or otherwise) would be warm AND fun.

I do have to say that when I read the title, I pictured YOUR parents (or inlaws) living outside, with the problem of keeping them warm/alive out there. My first reaction was "Aww, let them into the house!"

Starting-Point-Stables
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:49 PM
Reporting back.

The $30.00 twin size electric blanket, spread out over the picnic table seat (bench) was a hit tonight!!!

I'll get it out and pre-warm it and I've tasked parents with putting it away at the end of lessons. :)

I was also going to build a wall in the sitting area to block the north/west winds, out of a sheet of plywood and wood posts but came up with a better idea.

I got a cheap but thick table cloth that is 70" X 90" (neutral colored brown), am going to sink in a few short T-posts I have hanging around and use my brown duck tape to secure the table cloth to the Tposts. I'm sure by the end of winter the table cloth will be all worn out, but, so would a tarp and a tarp would make distracting noise, and so would a piece of ply wood (that, if it wasn't weather worn, I'd have to pull down and store at the end of the cold season).

So there is the little wind block, with our bench with the electric blanket. :) All said and done it cost me under $50.00, and very little labor.

The weather relief station on a budget! LOL