PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip for hay loading?

Gryhnd
Dec. 3, 2010, 10:59 PM
This is the first time we are going to get hay where we have been told a "crew" is there to help load. We are taking our horse trailer to transport the hay, not sure how much that will hold, was planning to buy 60 bales but will get whatever we can fit.

Do we give a tip to the guys and if so, how much would you tip?

deltawave
Dec. 3, 2010, 11:38 PM
Loading is included in my price per bale, but I always write the check for a little extra--enough to buy the crew of four dinner. Usually I'm buying several hundred bales, though, not sixty! :) sixty bales I'd do myself.

If the loaders are pleasant, fast and polite I would tip, but sixty bales isn't going to take but ten minutes or so. Maybe $5 apiece? Ten if the load is much larger?

Gryhnd
Dec. 4, 2010, 08:42 AM
I"m very grateful for the loading help since we are not young anymore and don't move that quickly, it sure would take us alot longer than 10 minutes. I will probably stand back and let them do it so I'm not in the way :) And I do wonder if it is included in the price, since the owner (who will not be there) has always advertised that crew is there to load Mon-Sat. Well, we'll see how it goes, $5/piece for that small amount of work sounds good. Thanks!

JSwan
Dec. 4, 2010, 09:09 AM

Yes. I give the guys a 20$ each.

howardh
Dec. 5, 2010, 08:09 AM
My guy has a price on hay that is delivered and stacked, so he covers himself already and he does the work so I don't tip him.

If I am home I do try to provide beer, pop, a treat etc.

I pay more so I don't have to do it. In past years I always did the work and no one tipped me! All I got out of the deal was sore arms, scratched limbs and a deep resentment for a husband that ALWAYS magically picked the day hay was coming to be out of town. Honestly, it was like he had hay ESP.

CatOnLap
Dec. 5, 2010, 12:05 PM
if we pick up hay in the field ourselves, its $5 a bale. If we get it delivered and stacked in our loft by someone else, its $7 a bale. We are told the standard charge for loading onto a truck or off loading into the loft is $.0.50 a bale. So if the crew is not otherwise being paid, I'd calculate on that. If they are getting a wage and you are already paying extra for the loading, then depending how much you are getting $10-20 each as a tip might be adequate.

buck22
Dec. 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
I tip. $5 and some summer sausage for the guy that brings me 50, $20 for the two guys that bring me 100. Bales weigh between 25-45# and I unload every one from the truck, they stack. I also share my test results with them which they are more than thrilled to receive.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't but that's because I only buy 4-6 bales at a time.

horsetales
Dec. 5, 2010, 10:09 PM
Not normally, but for the holiday season I do. He has had the same two working for a couple of years, so I guess maybe its more of a holiday bonus from us

chai
Dec. 5, 2010, 10:32 PM
Yes I do.

Tamara in TN
Dec. 5, 2010, 11:13 PM
This is the first time we are going to get hay where we have been told a "crew" is there to help load. We are taking our horse trailer to transport the hay, not sure how much that will hold, was planning to buy 60 bales but will get whatever we can fit.

well we NEVER want the owners to load their own hay at our facility for various reasons,we/our men do it as part of what is just normal business. if you feel compelled to help on a hand load then we won't tell you not to...

but 60 bales is not even 3000 lbs on it's best day...or 1.5 pallets...just as someone who does it every day,that's just not enough work to merit a tip more than a few dollars really.
now if you are talking about a trailer hand load of 5 tons or 8 tons in some summer heat,then sure tip if you like...but a tip on 60 bales ?maybe since it Christmas but I'd not do it myself.

Tamara in TN

Tiki
Dec. 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
I have never tipped. My first 2 hay suppliers included delivery and unloading of round bales (only 1 at a time anyway) and my current guy includes loading and stacking on the truck in his price, and I get to unload it all myself. My tip to me might be a cold one when I get back inside and get all the hay off my clothes and out of my shoes.

Just curious, but if you bought a washer and dryer from Lowe's or Home Depot that included delivery and installation - as it does, would you tip those guys? Probably not. All that, including takeaway of old machines, is included in the cost.

appaloosalady
Dec. 6, 2010, 10:26 PM
Nope - I pay to have it delivered, the man I'm paying pays his help. I will provide cold beverages on a hot day and an ice cream for the road if they want one.

Gryhnd
Dec. 6, 2010, 10:40 PM
well we NEVER want the owners to load their own hay at our facility for various reasons,we/our men do it as part of what is just normal business. if you feel compelled to help on a hand load then we won't tell you not to...

but 60 bales is not even 3000 lbs on it's best day...or 1.5 pallets...just as someone who does it every day,that's just not enough work to merit a tip more than a few dollars really.
now if you are talking about a trailer hand load of 5 tons or 8 tons in some summer heat,then sure tip if you like...but a tip on 60 bales ?maybe since it Christmas but I'd not do it myself.

Tamara in TN

This sounds right - we ended up not tipping, just didn't seem to be a moment to do so. The man in charge had 3 young guys working for him, and I know they were working all day, not just loading our hay, based on what the seller had said about their lunch break and knowing what time we were coming so they were not off on another chore. The 3 loaded and then the man sent them away right afterwards. I think it depends on the situation. I planned to tip, but there did not seem to be an appropriate opportunity to do so. I really don't know about it being included in the price, as the price was the same as someone else's hay that you have to load yourself.