PDA

View Full Version : Need barn doors: LEASED barn, HUGE openings

JoZ
Dec. 3, 2010, 01:52 PM
My friends and I lease a huge barn -- converted dairy barn. There are three aisles running from front to back, and the openings are, well, OPEN right now on 2 of the three aisles. There are doors on the front and back of the third aisle but we didn't put them in.

I'm no good with lengths/distance but if I had to guess, I'd say the openings are at least 25 feet high. Guess we never have to worry about ventilation! And most times it's great, I surely don't want to seal things up even if it were possible.

But I'm looking for suggestions of things to put across these huge openings. I think we would run a horizontal board across the opening about half way up, to be the top of the closed area -- there is no way we could fill the whole opening but blocking the wind at horse-and-human level would be nice in the winter. Two of the four doors are also VERY wide though, so I'm not sure a horizontal board would even support anything. I'm stymied.

This picture (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2993920930098982996BAdxwm?vhost=good-times) (from the great flood of 2009!) shows our arena not the barn, but this is the kind of opening I'm talking about. Any ideas? Has anyone used something unconventional i.e. other than a wood or metal door, with success? I'm intrigued by those hanging strips, for example.

gallupgirl
Dec. 4, 2010, 05:45 AM
Are the openings about that high? The openings pictured can't be more than 12-14'.