PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink coffee?

mroades
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
If so, how?
and what kind?

I didnt start drinking it until I was 27 years old, but now...must. have. every . morning

Instant with a lot of milk and sugar...I call it coffe ice cream hot...lol

sk_pacer
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:17 PM
Coffee is a major food group. I always buy whole beans, dark roast, and grind fresh every day.

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:19 PM
one pot...about 3 large cups in the morning, with generous amounts of non dairy creamer...medium roast, usually maxwel house.

for special occasions I fire up my Keurig coffee maker...:cool:

mroades
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
I love "real" coffee, but find that living alone isnt worth cleaning up after every day, so i just do instant (walmart brand at that..lol)

mroades
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:24 PM
oh and i CANNOT do fake creamer.....between being convinced it caused my grandmothers kidney stones, and reading the ingredients...well NO WAY

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:28 PM
oh and i CANNOT do fake creamer.....between being convinced it caused my grandmothers kidney stones, and reading the ingredients...well NO WAY

LOL, I can't read the stuff that's in it. However, when I am stressed I am super sensitive to dairy and get excema. So I got used to the non dairy so I can have that coffee! :cool:

(I sometimes add hot chocolate mix to the coffee, too, a mix my friend turned em on to, she called it 'mocca' I think she made real hot chocolate with instant coffee added...)

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:29 PM
Coffee is a major food group. I always buy whole beans, dark roast, and grind fresh every day.

Well, it's coffee beans ergo its a vegetable! :yes:

sk_pacer
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
I love "real" coffee, but find that living alone isnt worth cleaning up after every day, so i just do instant (walmart brand at that..lol)

Living alone doesn't stop me from having real coffee in the morning. Guess I spoiled myself :)

Donkey
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
Ick! I do not like coffee taste or smell at all. I'll occasionally drink tea.... but I prefer it cold to hot.

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
lol, I am not living alone, but I am the alone cleaner...

Take filter (I got one of them reusable ones) knock grounds out, rinse, refill, brew.

Same goes for the pot: dump, rinse refill....

However, the Keurig is fantastic. It can also used with your own cups, and if you buy online or at walmart - and I have sen the coffees at Lowe's now, too, the price per cup isn't that outrageous anymore.

I hate the extra trash though...but I don't use it that much.

tikihorse2
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
Coffee is the elixir of life. Just good, high-quality coffee, sometimes with half-and-half, sometimes not. I don't want fancy coffee drinks in the morning, I want COFFEE. :lol:

Kim

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
Must have my coffee in the morning..at least 2 cups, with just a little skim milk...folgers classic roast..although every now and then I love.love.love to have a medium dunkin donuts vanilla coffee with skim milk and one sweet and low.
ahhh, yes, coffee :D

MistyBlue
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm a coffee-holic and my GP just told me to knock off the tons of caffeine. :no: A-n-d apparently even decaf has too much caffeine in it. At least for the billion gallons of coffee I drink daily.

But...I am down to one or two mugs of decaf daily and then decaf tea. I'm a hot beverage drinker, especially this time of year. I have a hot mug of something in my hand all the time I'm indoors.

I'm not a fan of herbal teas...and the doc told me those have caffeine too anyways. I asked her wtf I'm supposed to drink all day? I'm not a big cocoa drinker, I like it once in a while but not often as I don't usually like sweets. Plus with the amount I drink in hot beverages daily I;d outweight my horses soon if I switched to cocoa. (and that's probably got caffeine anyways) So the doc tells me the drinks without caffeine are juice, water and milk.
:mad:
Seriously? I;m supposed to have hot water, hot juice or hot milk all day long? I don't think so.

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
herbal teas have caffaine? :eek: never knew that.

well, since you don't like sweet, hot cider would be out of the question then...

But I do drink - when I feel like it - stuff like raspberry tea (I actually made some from leaves out of the garden once, peppermint, sage(yuckyuckyuck, sore throat tea) and thyme (hmmm yummie yumm yumm, with a tad of honey), camomille ....never heard that they were loaded. Same as Roibos tea, from a south african bush...when I first had the stuff it tasted good, bought some here in the states, tasted like sweat socks.

Maybe you will just have to adapt to the opera singers secret: hot water.

mroades
Nov. 25, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm a coffee-holic and my GP just told me to knock off the tons of caffeine. :no: A-n-d apparently even decaf has too much caffeine in it. At least for the billion gallons of coffee I drink daily.

But...I am down to one or two mugs of decaf daily and then decaf tea. I'm a hot beverage drinker, especially this time of year. I have a hot mug of something in my hand all the time I'm indoors.

I'm not a fan of herbal teas...and the doc told me those have caffeine too anyways. I asked her wtf I'm supposed to drink all day? I'm not a big cocoa drinker, I like it once in a while but not often as I don't usually like sweets. Plus with the amount I drink in hot beverages daily I;d outweight my horses soon if I switched to cocoa. (and that's probably got caffeine anyways) So the doc tells me the drinks without caffeine are juice, water and milk.
:mad:
Seriously? I;m supposed to have hot water, hot juice or hot milk all day long? I don't think so.

Hot Cider???

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
oooh, tea...every night I have a cup of Lipton Vanilla Caramel Truffle black tea...it's sooo good, soothing, and the perfect night cap for me.

BlueEyedSorrel
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
Coffee is on par with oxygen as far as I'm concerned. I start my morning with a large cup. My faithful little Mellita 4 cup coffee pot just died yesterday, and I'm actually sad, and not just because it means I have to brave the crowds at Target this weekend to get a replacement. It lasted me all through college and 7 years of grad school, including taking boards and writing my dissertation. I do remember one particularly awful weekend my first year of medical school in which I had a Mol Cell Bio exam on Friday, a take home exam for the same class due Monday and a Gross Anatomy exam that same Monday. After the Friday exam, I went home, made a pot of coffee and kept on making coffee till Monday.

Dallmayr Prodomo is my favorite brand. It's German and oh so good. Next is Gevalia, then Mellita. I can't stand the Folgers or Maxwell House brands. And I have to have lots of milk and sugar with my coffee.

BES

Rhyadawn
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:05 PM
If for some reason I can't have caffiene (bp getting too high again) I drink hot water with lemon.

On a regular day I like any non-black tea. Sometimes I dig out the coffee maker; then I drink a light roast Canadian Blend of coffee from PC.

Arab/WBGirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:09 PM
Coffee is not even a question for me. It's essential to my being. I have a 10 cup pot every morning all by my little ol' self. My favorite is Coffee Beanery Hawaiian Coconut. Grind it fresh every am. I take it straight up most mornings, but on occasion will add a little skim milk. I am also partial to Coffee Beanery's Cinnamon flavored coffee. When I can, I will indulge in the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans. I jealously guard it and am hard pressed to share a cup of this elixir of life. Sigh. I wish I had some right now . . .

HorsesinHaiti
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:10 PM
My blood pressure doesn't go back up to the office with me post- lunch unless I have my pot of coffee. The staff knows that if they need me functional, they have to give me time to drink my coffee.

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
My blood pressure doesn't go back up to the office with me post- lunch unless I have my pot of coffee. The staff knows that if they need me functional, they have to give me time to drink my coffee.

Is that why you got a port in your arm? :winkgrin:

rideagoldenpony
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
I LOVE the smell of good coffee.

I've owned three successful coffee businesses. Two espresso drive thrus and one walk-in.....

I do not drink coffee.

I'm a pusher. :D

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:15 PM
I LOVE the smell of good coffee.

I've owned three successful coffee businesses. Two espresso drive thrus and one walk-in.....

I do not drink coffee.

:eek::eek::eek:

ROFLMAO!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ddashaq
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have 1-2 cups every morning of whatever is in the pot-- flavors, plain, whatever, I love it. Usually with flavored creamers, but occasionally just cream and sugar. Definitely gets me through the day!

MsM
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
Nope. Don't like coffee. Actually I like the smell, but not the taste. Kinda like perfume...

I am a tea drinker. Real tea - not that herbal stuff. Those look and tast like lawn clippings or bubblebath! :no:

I have learned to carry tea bags with me. Otherwise I may be out of luck at a business function or somebody else's home.

jacksmom
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:26 PM
I do not drink coffee.

love it.

i don't drink it - i love the smell, but i think that the stuff tastes like it was collected from a cars exhaust pipe. don't go telling me it's because i haven't tried the good stuff, i'm married to Mr. Coffee, and i think it's all garbage. messy garbage at that. i've spent WAY too much time getting coffee stains out of all kinds of things.

i do, however, like coffee ice cream.

Trakehners2
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
I am a bit of a coffee snob...I order my coffee, whole beans, so it is fresh roasted and grind it fresh every morning. Once brewed, I usually have 3 mugs, a bit of sugar, heavy cream and enjoy! The company we order it from is in West Virginia and they don't over roast or burn the beans, have had that before...I HATE instant coffee...blah!

Toadie's mom
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:34 PM
I LOVE COFFEE!!!!!! We buy whole beans from one of those high end fancy, schmancy grocery stores, and I have my favs (i.e. TX pecan, bavarian hazelnut, et al)but we try new ones all the time. Also, the grinder is great for those SMZs and other horse medications that need to be "mixed and blended". I just try to do that when the S O isn't around, and do a really good job of cleaning the grinder up;)

Melelio
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
COFFEE!!! Whole or ground, then reground finer, from Hawaii....ChocoMacadamia, Toasted Coconut, or Hawaiian Hazelnut....

Add some almond milk (heaven!) and brew in a special K cup adapter in the Keurig (we don't buy the pre loaded cups)...

You single drinkers REALLY must get a Keurig and the adapter cup. FIll it with any coffee you want, make one cup. Very little cleanup (unless you spill grounds all over as I seem to be in the habit of....)

Yep, 2 cups a day....when I worked, it was more.

mroades
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
I can only have one cup a day...caffeine does nasty things to the girls....but I do savor my one cup.

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
COFFEE!!! Whole or ground, then reground finer, from Hawaii....ChocoMacadamia, Toasted Coconut, or Hawaiian Hazelnut....

Add some almond milk (heaven!) and brew in a special K cup adapter in the Keurig (we don't buy the pre loaded cups)...

You single drinkers REALLY must get a Keurig and the adapter cup. FIll it with any coffee you want, make one cup. Very little cleanup (unless you spill grounds all over as I seem to be in the habit of....)

Yep, 2 cups a day....when I worked, it was more.

It's one of the laws of the universe: you handle coffee you spill some. Just gotta live with it.

mroades
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
It's one of the laws of the universe: you handle coffee you spill some. Just gotta live with it.

I own a lot of coffee colored clothes...just sayin.....

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 25, 2010, 08:58 PM
on the road it's a grande americano with one pump of peppermint, 2 stevia, and a splash of half and half.
at home i'd love to have time to make french press but most of the time it's the autodrip with a breakfast blend, stevia and cream.

lauriep
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:01 PM
KEURIG RULES!!!! I was a hard core, whole bean, grind-it-myself, good coffeemaker person for YEARS, but always had inconsistent quality.

Until I bought a Keurig. I am 57 and this is without a doubt one of the best purchases I have ever made. Ever. Every cup is delicious, great quality, and in a minute I have a hot fresh cup. And I can change brands/types with each cup. It is the BEST.

And I drink it black, baby! Full flavor for me.

Hmmm. Think I'll go make a cup now!

glfprncs
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:01 PM
I'm a coffee whore...I must have two mugs, black, every morning. I recently came across an online site where I now buy ALL my coffee...www.nutsonline.com. My husband has even come over to the dark side and joins me every morning. Our favorite is the Medellin Columbian Supremo. DIVINE!

MistyBlue
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:38 PM
I got a Keurig for Christmas last year and at first thought it was just some gimicky useless thing since I make a pot or two every day anyways.

Then I had a cup.

Yum! Fresh coffee in 30 seconds any time you want a cup, it rocks. Although I rarely use the k-cups because even though they're a savings over the Starbuck's crap they're still about a million times more expensive than using the filter for it and using your own coffee.

foggybok
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:42 PM
double espresso! And ESE pods are a great invention! Although I do grind my own too sometimes....

lauriep
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:47 PM
I got a Keurig for Christmas last year and at first thought it was just some gimicky useless thing since I make a pot or two every day anyways.

Then I had a cup.

Yum! Fresh coffee in 30 seconds any time you want a cup, it rocks. Although I rarely use the k-cups because even though they're a savings over the Starbuck's crap they're still about a million times more expensive than using the filter for it and using your own coffee.

I agree on the $, but I honestly haven't had as good results using the "My K-Cup", and I like to keep a half dozen varieties on hand, and storing that much regular coffee doesn't work for me. But that is what makes it so great! You can do either!!

cu.at.x
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
only Fair Trade, organic Ethiopian for me.

grayarabpony
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm a coffee whore...I must have...

I don't like to think of myself as a coffee whore :) but I must.have.coffee. It's at the top of the food pyramid or whatever geometric thing they use these days.

Bluesy
Nov. 25, 2010, 09:58 PM
Nope.

Do like tea though.

Tazo has one called Wild Sweet Orange and it is delicious.

JenEM
Nov. 25, 2010, 10:01 PM
herbal teas have caffaine? :eek: never knew that.

Tea made from tea leaves has caffeine. If it's not made from an actual tea plant, it may not. Rooibos is caffeine-free, and some herbals may be, depending on what they're made with. I've seen decaf versions of some black teas, too (I know Twinings has decaf Earl Grey), though I don't know how low the caffeine is in those.

As you may have guessed from the above paragraph, I am a tea-drinker. Usually a mug when I wake up, then two more through the day. While I love the smell of coffee, I just don't care for the taste.

Alagirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
Tea made from tea leaves has caffeine. If it's not made from an actual tea plant, it may not. Rooibos is caffeine-free, and some herbals may be, depending on what they're made with. I've seen decaf versions of some black teas, too (I know Twinings has decaf Earl Grey), though I don't know how low the caffeine is in those.

As you may have guessed from the above paragraph, I am a tea-drinker. Usually a mug when I wake up, then two more through the day. While I love the smell of coffee, I just don't care for the taste.

That is more in line with what I know. Thought I was loosing my mind....

earl grey, Oolong etc, are black teas with aroma...if it has Camelia sinensis leaves in it, it's loaded :D

But I was under the impression true herbals are unleaded.
BTW you can also make yummie teas from dried fruits. I mean, I have not tried the dried fruits you can buy, but I have dried some apple peels before for use as tea. very yummie!

mswillie
Nov. 25, 2010, 10:32 PM
Got to have my coffee. Bodum stove top coffee maker for me. It's a vacuum coffee maker. You put water in the bottom pot, coffee (fresh ground daily) in the top.

Heat until all the water is in the top. Remove from the heat and as the bottom cools it creates a vacuum pulling the now brewed coffee through a glass rod filter back down into the bottom pot. It's never burnt, never bitter, always perfectly brewed at just under boiling temperature.

Best. Coffee. Ever. :yes:

We have a Keurig coffee maker at work and while it makes what I'd call a decent cup of coffee it can't hold a candle to the vacuum brewed. Not even close.

billiebob
Nov. 25, 2010, 11:03 PM
I love coffee. I've been drinking it on a regular basis since I was maybe 13 or 14. I would love a Keurig but most of my coffee is purchased on the run. It's generally Wawa or Starbucks on a daily basis, only because those are on my way to work. Wawa is only skim milk with a splash of Irish cream, Starbucks is skim milk with three Equal.

It should be noted that I worked in a coffee shop my first two years of college and those are NOT my first two choices. The shop got in coffees from all over the world--my favorites were Mexican and Ethiopian. The best flavor was Jungle Nut, which was.....Brazil nut, macadamia and something else. So good! However, the best coffee I've ever had was in some cafe in Merida, Mexico.

Arab/WBGirl
Nov. 25, 2010, 11:27 PM
Got to have my coffee. Bodum stove top coffee maker for me. It's a vacuum coffee maker. You put water in the bottom pot, coffee (fresh ground daily) in the top.

Heat until all the water is in the top. Remove from the heat and as the bottom cools it creates a vacuum pulling the now brewed coffee through a glass rod filter back down into the bottom pot. It's never burnt, never bitter, always perfectly brewed at just under boiling temperature.

Best. Coffee. Ever. :yes:

We have a Keurig coffee maker at work and while it makes what I'd call a decent cup of coffee it can't hold a candle to the vacuum brewed. Not even close.

MsWillie, where might I find one of these coffee makers? I'm sure they can be found online (what CAN'T you buy online nowadays?), but is there a brand or retailer you prefer?

Ahh, found them. I've seen them before, just did not know what they were called. Will have to get myself one of those interesting contraptions and give it a whirl. Although I must admit it looks very fragile, and given that I am like a bull in a china shop in the mornings prior to my coffee fix, that might not work so well for me. We shall see.

Mara
Nov. 25, 2010, 11:32 PM
Have to have it and leave me the hell alone in the morning until I have my 52 oz. (really) mug full of QuikTrip coffee in hand. They have DELICIOUS coffee and fortunately there is one in my backyard.
I will also have another mug full at around nine every night as I read or surf the web or whatever. No, it does not keep me up - I think I'm well-acclimated to caffeine!

bits619
Nov. 25, 2010, 11:42 PM
Another huge fan of the keurig here! Got one from MrB for xmas last year and have used it so much... I adore it! Big fan of being able to have a variety, especially for having company over! I use it to make tea and even ramen on occassion, heh heh heh. I'm the only coffee-drinker in the house, so it makes the most sense. Plus, I like how low-maintenance and quick it is.
The k-cups I have right now: Caribou- a medium blend (think it's their main type? forget exactly), Emeril's Big Easy Bold (extra dark, so strong, so yummy), newman's special blend and special decaf. I really don't care for the light blends- WAY too weak for me.
All get some sugar and cream, but am trying to cut down on my sugar intake and would love to be able to drink it black someday. Someday.
Also have the apple cider cups (It's SO delicious- add a lil splash of rum into it, even better!), chai latte (usually add some milk... or, okay, baileys sometimes, too), dark chocolate cocoa...

I will make myself a cup in the morning before work (coffee... and not the spiked kind!). Check emails, generally come back to life. Then when i get to work it's all the free, crappy coffee i can drink. (usually 2-3 small cups once there)

Honestly, I don't mind some of the instant coffee and used to drink it fairly regularly (and think it's better than my work's stuff).

Would love to have a stovetop brewer as I think they're neat and have some very, very fond memories involving an italian man preparing some in the early morning light, sans clothing...... Oh sorry, where was i? Right, it was always very, very good. Coffee, good coffee i mean.

...wanders off to dreamily stare into middle-space....

mswillie
Nov. 26, 2010, 12:30 AM
MsWillie, where might I find one of these coffee makers? I'm sure they can be found online (what CAN'T you buy online nowadays?), but is there a brand or retailer you prefer?

Ahh, found them. I've seen them before, just did not know what they were called. Will have to get myself one of those interesting contraptions and give it a whirl. Although I must admit it looks very fragile, and given that I am like a bull in a china shop in the mornings prior to my coffee fix, that might not work so well for me. We shall see.

I've only broken one in over 10 years of use. Wasn't paying attention and smacked the "stem" on the side of the sink. They're not as fragile as they look.

I've also replaced the plastic filter that comes with it with a vintage Cory coffee glass rod. I just think they work a little better. I've bought a few extra rods for 3 or 4 dollars each at a yard sale in case I break one. The rods aren't too hard to find.

The first time we tried this method of coffee brewing my bf and I each tasted our coffee, looked at each other, and without saying a single word packed up the "mister coffee" and stored it away. Haven't looked back. :)

Alagirl
Nov. 26, 2010, 12:31 AM

The fancy department store should carry them (or the chemistry supply company :D)
Thos things are really cool...

JER
Nov. 26, 2010, 12:52 AM

If you like siphon/vacuum coffee, then you might want to check out the super-cool Harios (http://www.harioglass.com/english/products/taste/syphon.htm). They do make lovely coffee and the Victorian science lab look is awesome.

A very au courant coffee gadget is the Clever Coffee Dripper (http://www.espressoparts.com/CLEVER_C70888). Haven't used it myself but individual drip is all the rage right now, with both cloth and paper filters. Frank Bruni wrote about it (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/dining/24coffee.html) -- and how exasperating it is to be a proper coffee snob -- this week in the NYT.

I used to work at a coffee roaster. I know way too much about coffee and tea but they are two things I very much enjoy. For tea, I can't live without my PG Tips in the pyramid bags.

For coffee, I go restlessly from roaster to roaster (haven't found one I like yet in the Vancouver area; the recommended ones are not what I'd consider good) but do have a couple of favorites in the US. The Funnell Mill (http://www.funnelmill.com/) in Santa Monica is excellent but the owner refuses to ship to you if he thinks the coffee is going to go through extreme weather en route. The best multi-purpose, consistently excellent coffee beans I've found is the Sledgehammer (http://www.camp4coffee.com/coffee.aspx?ax=1) blend from Camp 4 Coffee in Crested Butte, CO. They ship all over the US. Great stuff.

tikihorse2
Nov. 26, 2010, 01:46 AM
My favorite coffee is Columbia El Castillo from here (alterracoffee.com).

Lives2Jump
Nov. 26, 2010, 01:56 AM
Big fan of Dunkin Donuts coffee. I brew it myself rather than going to DD. I use flavored coffee creamer and no sugar. Always brew a pot of coffee when I get to work. I'm asking for a Keurig for Christmas. My only reservation is there are no Dunkin Donuts K-cups :(

Alagirl
Nov. 26, 2010, 02:27 AM
not dunkin doughnuts, but a doughnut shop flavor. :yes:

mbarrett
Nov. 26, 2010, 10:02 AM
I love coffee, but had to cut back. I had a racing heart from too much caffeine. That's a weird feeling! Also, I teach school so I can't use the restroom when I need to. I have to watch my fluid intake on school days!

However, I will get a Starbucks every other day or so. I do allow some coffee in my life. Not a pot of coffee a day, like I used to do.

myhorsefaith
Nov. 26, 2010, 10:07 AM
I was never a coffee drinker and really not a tea drinker either, but 7 years into working for The Big One, they've finally pierced my bubble and I'm now a home brew drip, Via, and soy-latte drinking fool. Making it part of the employee incentive (free coffee every week, and full espresso bars in the office kitchens) definitely took its toll. I've capped myself at 2 per day, and so far that's working.

I still do teas- some Tazo, some really grocery basic like celestial whatever- I like their wild berry zinger. I also love chammomile. Not a big fan of any minty-teas of any brand. My favorite green tea is Republic of Tea's Honey Ginseng. Yummm.

mg
Nov. 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
I like Newman's Own organic coffees.

And, I have to say, I think Starbucks coffee tastes absolutely awful. It always tastes like the beans were burnt. I'll go to Starbucks for a latte occasionally, but that's because they seem to be the only place that knows how to make one properly without my hand-holding direction. Usually I'll just make my lattes are home and save the $$

mswillie
Nov. 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
I think Starbucks coffee tastes absolutely awful. It always tastes like the beans were burnt.

I call it Charbucks

Alagirl
Nov. 26, 2010, 02:18 PM
I like Newman's Own organic coffees.

LOL, the Keurig roast is kick butt strong!

Mozart
Nov. 26, 2010, 02:47 PM
Yes, two cups every morning, one while I get ready and one for the road. Once I get to work I switch to water or green tea.

My habit is only two a day but I am addicted to even that small amount. I have had to fast for a few surgeries over the years and each time I looked forward to the anaesthesia to release the vice grip on my head.

100% Fair Trade Colombian beans, freshly ground with one cube of raw sugar and half and half cream. I feel the calories I might save with Splenda or fat free cream are not worth the enjoyment I get from a perfect cup of coffee in the a.m.

Also my husband has to make it. He is the coffee maker. It just does not taste as good when I make. I have no idea why, he has a gift. ;)

Alter-ed
Nov. 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
Nope.

Can't stand the stuff. Hate the smell, the taste... and ugh, coffee breath. *shudder* I won't even touch anything remotely coffee flavored.

Love tea though. 2-4 cups a day.

saddleup
Nov. 26, 2010, 05:48 PM
No, I don't. But I LOVE Jamoca Almond Fudge ice cream from Baskin-Robbins.

Does that count?

Pirateer
Nov. 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
I don't tend to drink it because it puts me to sleep. Which makes me sad, I want to drink it!

Coanteen
Nov. 26, 2010, 05:57 PM
I started late too, in my 20's, but now I drink it every workday morning. Usually Timmie's, and I use either sugar/sweetener and cream, or a flavored creamer. I don't mind destroying the taste of the coffee, I'm not that fond of it.

My bro, a coffee connoisseur who insists on roasting his own beans, did send me a small amount of "poo coffee" (kopi luwak) and I tried that without any additives. It was actually very good, but it wouldn't been even better with a bit of cream ;)

chemteach
Nov. 26, 2010, 06:46 PM
I love coffee; always make it at home. My favorites Starbucks Sumatra and Starbucks French Roast made fresh with hazelnut creamer.

Dazednconfused
Nov. 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
Oh the coffee snob in me weeps at this thread...I guess if that's how you gotta get your caffeine fix. I don't know how anyone can drink Starbucks, I really don't. A little part of me dies everytime I see someone say "I love starbucks. They have great coffee!" :lol:

Personally, a double ristretto shot of Intelligentsia Black Cat every morning.

I've also had some great coffee from Four Barrel, Verve, and Ritual Roasters (and found Bluebottle in SF to be rather overrated).

My barometer for quality espresso has gotten much higher since I went to Intelligentsia's Venice Beach coffeebar. They've transformed it into an art, really - no finer shots pulled anywhere else in the US, I would say...

Alagirl
Nov. 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
Oh the coffee snob in me weeps at this thread...I guess if that's how you gotta get your caffeine fix. I don't know how anyone can drink Starbucks, I really don't. A little part of me dies everytime I see someone say "I love starbucks. They have great coffee!" :lol:

I've also had some great coffee from Four Barrel, Verve, and Ritual Roasters (and found Bluebottle in SF to be rather overrated).

My barometer for quality espresso has gotten much higher since I went to Intelligentsia's Venice Beach coffeebar. They've transformed it into an art, really - no finer shots pulled anywhere else in the US, I would say...

Leave us poor people in the province with the illusion we can have good coffee! :lol:

BlueEyedSorrel
Nov. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM

The hospital where I work has starbucks and seatle's best stands (at opposite ends of the campus:lol:). I am not particularly thrilled with the taste of either (though Seatle's Best is slightly better imo). However, if it's midway through a long day and I need a little caffeine boost, the taste becomes secondary.

To me, getting starbucks coffee is like getting getting fast food....it serves a basic need and I get it if circumstances are such that I have no other choice. But there's no way I put either into the category of good food or beverage.

At home, I have my imported German coffee...simply divine.
BES

Mayaty02
Nov. 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
no coffee for me 100% caffiene free (other than what comes from my daily dose of chocolate ;))

TalkIsCheap
Nov. 27, 2010, 11:05 AM
My Morning Mug is a religious experience for me, while the pets are all eating.

Started decades ago with the sludge they brewed in the college dining hall and have not looked back.

chemteach
Nov. 27, 2010, 01:22 PM

I buy mine at the grocery store ($6.99/lb) and make it at home. :)

Tha Ridge
Nov. 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
Yep.

Either $1 bodega coffee (milk & sugar, please!), a latte from my Tassimo, or coffee from the French press. Bodega coffee is my go-to for morning commute, Tassimo latte if I'm alone and have a free morning, and French press coffee when my boyfriend is home to make it! :yes:

Tha Ridge
Nov. 27, 2010, 01:41 PM

Outside of my bodega coffee and Tassimo lattes, we are coffee snobs too! Definitely no Starbucks. I don't know where you're located, but if you like a dark roast, you should get some beans from Stumptown. Such great coffee! :yes:

foggybok
Nov. 27, 2010, 03:51 PM

The height of my coffee snobishness was when I bought my own roaster..... best coffee ever!!!! Just buy green beans and roast fresh :)

I can not stomach Starbucks anymore....we used to have it at work, but switched to Pete's, which is better.... but not as good as what I make at home...

Today I found a new favorite ESE pod, strangely enough the cheaper house brand from Podmerchant, but their "Stout" version. Yummy!

Kairoshorses
Nov. 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
I am a coffee snob. I LOVE good, dark, strong coffee. Conversely, I hate weak, watery coffee.

I have a French Press (and starbucks singles for DIRE emergencies) in my trailer.

:)

bumknees
Nov. 28, 2010, 05:16 PM
Love my morning coffee. I average about 6 cups in the am. I pefer good ol 8'oclock beans.

Flying Hill
Nov. 28, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm not a fan of herbal teas...and the doc told me those have caffeine too anyways.

A friend of mine said that if you add lemon juice to tea it negates the caffeine. I have no idea if this is true, but you could *choose* to believe it. :)

I am another big fan of Keurig. No muss, no fuss, no clean-up. They are working on developing recyclable packaging which will relieve my last bit of guilt.

JGHIRETIRE
Nov. 28, 2010, 05:28 PM
Almond Mocha Double Shot Extra hot - made at home. No Starbucks - it usually tastes burnt to me.
I do like Seattle's Best but will buy what's on sale - if push comes to shove but still won't buy Starbuck's.

Blue Domino
Nov. 28, 2010, 05:33 PM
By the 5 gal. bucket!

Fred
Nov. 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
Would love to have a stovetop brewer as I think they're neat and have some very, very fond memories involving an italian man preparing some in the early morning light, sans clothing...... Oh sorry, where was i? Right, it was always very, very good. Coffee, good coffee i mean.

...wanders off to dreamily stare into middle-space....

this cracked me up, bits.
I used a stovetop brewer for a while, it did have a romantic lilt to it, but after a while went back to my Melitta filter or sometimes Bodum pressed.

I buy fresh roasted French roast, try for fair trade/organic, grind at home.
A huge pot all by myself (I'm up at about 5.30) - with just cream, no sugar,
and then it is switch to tea for the rest of the day.

Fred
Nov. 28, 2010, 07:20 PM
If you like siphon/vacuum coffee, then you might want to check out the super-cool Harios (http://www.harioglass.com/english/products/taste/syphon.htm). They do make lovely coffee and the Victorian science lab look is awesome.

A very au courant coffee gadget is the Clever Coffee Dripper (http://www.espressoparts.com/CLEVER_C70888). Haven't used it myself but individual drip is all the rage right now, with both cloth and paper filters. Frank Bruni wrote about it (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/dining/24coffee.html) -- and how exasperating it is to be a proper coffee snob -- this week in the NYT.

I used to work at a coffee roaster. I know way too much about coffee and tea but they are two things I very much enjoy. For tea, I can't live without my PG Tips in the pyramid bags.

For coffee, I go restlessly from roaster to roaster (haven't found one I like yet in the Vancouver area; the recommended ones are not what I'd consider good) but do have a couple of favorites in the US. The Funnell Mill (http://www.funnelmill.com/) in Santa Monica is excellent but the owner refuses to ship to you if he thinks the coffee is going to go through extreme weather en route. The best multi-purpose, consistently excellent coffee beans I've found is the Sledgehammer (http://www.camp4coffee.com/coffee.aspx?ax=1) blend from Camp 4 Coffee in Crested Butte, CO. They ship all over the US. Great stuff.

thanks for the links JER. I'm always searching for The Best Coffee. My husband travels through the US, and usually finds little roaster places, brings home incredible black death coffee, but of course we have no idea where he got it.
A COTH friend once sent me a gift box of incredible beans, I thought my prayers had been answered, but I LOST the company info.....

ouch