PDA

View Full Version : Thrush prevention during mud season

Chaila
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:26 AM
My horse is showing no signs of thrush. His feet are really quite good. But it's mud season and his paddock has a lot of mud.

Do you ever treat preventatively for thrush? Is there a downside to popping some Koppertox on his feet just to make sure?

Thanks in advance!

Mozart
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:16 AM
If there is I don't know about it...I have an old TB that is prone to thrush (not great feet, deep clefts, probably a bit immune compromised) and he gets either Koppertox or some other not too irritating thrush remedy about 1xweek in mud season.

JB
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:37 AM
Well-trimmed feet, good diet, mud that doesn't involve a great deal of manure or urine.

I never deal with thrush, and mine can spend a great deal of the Winter in red clay mud.

There are health issues that you cannot always fix, which may predispose a horse to problems if he's not kept in a cleaner/drier environment, so for those guys, I can see using judicious prevention. Koppertox is SO caustic it would not be my first choice. A qt spray bottle, with water, some Borax, a dozen or so drops of pure tea tree oil (not the diluted garbage that is cheaper), sprayed on daily, or several times a week, to a clean foot, can work nicely. It's mild enough to tissue to not cause harm when done daily. But TTO indeed has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

Crooked Horse
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:09 PM
Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder!

I sprinkle this onto his soles and into grooves every other day or so after picking his hooves in the winter. Seems to help.

jaimebaker
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:46 PM
I do Thrushbuster once a week if it's muddy as a preventative.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
I use a little bit of Thrush Buster about once every 10 days just to keep the thrush at bay during wet/mud seasons.

jaimebaker
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
Well-trimmed feet, good diet, mud that doesn't involve a great deal of manure or urine.

Thrush lives in the soil. Not in manure or urine (though those can trap it, sure). Though I agree a good diet and well trimmed feet are a good idea, that's also not the 100% preventative for thrush either. And for what it's worth, one of my pastures has a lot of clay in it. The horses on that pasture rarely have thrush. The horses on the non clay pastures do deal with it from time to time. So perhaps the thrush can't survive in clay as well as it can in other soils.

JB
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
Thrush doesn't live in the soil ;) Thrush is caused by things that live in the soil :)

Thrush doesn't live in manure/urine either, but those are teeming with nasties just looking for a warm, dark environment in which to thrive.

FWIW, my WB lived on non-clay soil for several years prior to me bringing him home - no thrush there either :)

jaimebaker
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:41 PM
Fine, thrush BACTERIA lives in the soil. But I'm still saying, it doesn't matter how grandiose the diet is or how great the trim is, sometimes it just happens. You should know by now, nothing is 100% with horses.

JB
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, I fully understand that. My point though was that with few exceptions, healthy feet on healthy horses don't get thrush simply from standing in mud. Mud isn't the issue.

what usually ends up happening is the mud mixes with manure and urine - I mean, they don't always go somewhere else to poop - and that's when the problems are much more apt to arise.

No, you can't always keep them from standing in poop - mine seems to go out of his way to step in it in the field, yet will leap around to avoid it while riding :rolleyes: - but it's not the *mud* that is the problem.

Justa Bob
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:52 PM
Triodine 7 anyone?

My riding barn uses Triodine-7 a few times a week during the wet months (and more regularly on stall rest/hospital pasture horses). But I don't see it on any of the thrush threads? Anyone have info on this one?

goeslikestink
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:33 PM
thrush

thrush comes from wet and or dirty enviroment
and if one doesnt treat it with respect then it can become secondary

its a bacterial infection which some horses are more susceptible to than others
Thrush in horses is a foul smelling bacterial infection affecting the feet. It should not be confused with canker, which is an altogether more serious infection. Fortunately, canker is rare as it is a difficult condition to cure, whereas thrush usually resolves with correct management.

Careful stable and hoof management is essential if thrush is to be prevented. As the bacteria are killed by oxygen, regular use of the hoof pick will allow air to the foot and reduce the ability of the bacteria to take hold.

Keep stables clean with plenty of good-quality, dry bedding. If horses are in for long periods, bank the beds during the day to allow them to stand on an area of clean, dry concrete.

Some horses are more susceptible to this condition than others, and foot conformation can lead to a predisposition to thrush. For example, a deep cleft in the frog may become packed with sand after working in an arena. If not carefully cleaned, this could lead to irritation and allow bacteria to enter.

The prime cause, however, is one of hygiene — standing in droppings and urine. The damp conditions of a dirty stable provide the perfect environment for the anaerobic bacteria, (those needing a low-oxygen environment) which cause thrush to flourish.

Diagnosis and treatment

The most obvious sign of thrush is a foul-smelling, black discharge from the frog, which itself may have softer spots and appear irregular in shape. The horse is unlikely to be lame unless the decay has invaded the sensitive inner tissues.

If a horse has thrush the underlying cause needs to be identified and removed. The horse should be moved to a clean, dry environment and the feet cleaned daily.

The farrier or vet will need to remove the decayed tissue, and depending on the severity of the condition, this may need to be done over more than one visit. The feet may need to be bandaged or dressed with topical medication. Every vet and farrier has their favourite remedy, most of which aim to dry out the feet.

Thrush will never resolve unless the hoof hygiene is good — it is the equine equivalent of athlete's foot. A damaged frog is the perfect entry point for the bacteria that cause tetanus, so ensure that the horse has adequate protection against this.

how to treat thrush by thomas 1
http://horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6053
please understand that trush can become secondary infection if left alone or not treated on a daily basis till gone and can be very painful to a horse or any equines
please understand that you must call for a vet and farrier and have xrays done if nessescary
to see any changes to the foot /feet