PDA

View Full Version : Saddles for QH Built

ownedbyapony
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:18 AM
I've been noticing that every saddle I look at looks like it would fit a TB type of horse. What saddles are out there that actually tend to fit the QH type of horses? I mean like a more flat back and being more rounder (stout) than your everyday average TB? I'm looking for a close contact saddle.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:56 AM
There are a lot of threads on here with recommendations for wide-shouldered horses, so if you do a search, you'll probably find a lot of saddles to consider.

That's how I decided to try the Thornhill for my 1/2 draft. I love it. I have the Berlin.

Good luck.

mypaintwattie
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
I use a PJ on my Paint mare, it fits her well. The QH trainer I know uses Antares on her QH's, and there is a saddle called the Alliance designed by Lynn Palm specifically for stock breed types.

I was at AQHA World last week for the Hunter classes and saw a little of everything on the QH's- Antares, CWD's, Pessoas, Butet's, ect. Thornhills also fit the wider horses.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:43 PM
I use a Pessoa A/O on my QH.

Hunterlover17
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:35 PM
I've used a Dominus (wide) on my QH's once upon a time. It fit them REALLY well. The saddle threw me forward a bit but I dealt with it. It took me 9 months to find a saddle that fit the QH nice enough...unfortunately it just didn't fit me. Dominus saddles are no longer manufactured. The older ones are nice, the newer-old ones are crap.

fordtraktor
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:06 PM
I use a Smith-Worthington on mine -- that saddle fits everything, I swear it is majikal. I also have a PJ and it isn't wide enough for my appendix.

goldenhorse
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:36 PM
I have a Bates Caprilli I keep on hand because it has the interchangeable gullet that fits everything in my barn from the super narrow tb mare to the wide load qh. It also came with a measuring device so I know I use the correct gullet.

The Caprilli has a deep seat so if you are looking for something flatter they have come out with some models with a flatter seat.

S1969
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
I use a Pessoa A/O on my paint, too. She is built very like a QH. I have a Bates Caprilli that doesn't fit her well with the MW (I think) gullet (too low in front), but it fits my TB so well I hate to change it.

fourfillies
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
I second the PJ suggestions. The Amerigo Vega might work as well, seems to have a similiar fit (at least the one I tried), but less $

lucyeq
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have a Butet and I use it on my Appendix QH.

SarahandSam
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:55 PM
I tried an Antares and a Hastilow (both wide) that fit my QH beautifully, but they cost 3-4x as much as he did, so that didn't happen. d;

Instead I got a Collegiate convertible Diploma--had both that and the Alumni recommended to me. It fits him well on the wide gullet, and I like it.

Ainsley688
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:12 PM
If your horse is a "true" QH build, NO french style saddles are ever going to fit...they are all shaped for a more roof-backed horse, no matter how wide the front gets, the back won't. If it's a QH that has no wither, no major curves, and a flat back, I would recommend a Black Country hoop tree, older Crosbys (not too old, but late 90's on) or County's. Anything shaped like that. Good luck for your saddle search! It's been a year trying to find one for my
Appendix.

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:17 PM
I have a QH and I ended up getting a custom County Stabilizer and I love it. My horse also likes it. The saddle rep said a regular saddle wouldn't fit my horse because he needs a medium narrow tree.

ERollison
Nov. 20, 2010, 11:46 PM
I use the Amerigo Vega wide tree on my AQHA gelding. I love it!

CHT
Nov. 21, 2010, 12:17 AM
I bought a Lynn Palm CC off ebay for my QH lesson horse. Fits him well, and I often end up using it on wide training horses.

Outfxed
Nov. 21, 2010, 07:57 AM
Amerigo Close contact wide tree. Lovely saddle, fits well.

I tested the Black Country Quantums with the hoop tree before I bought a saddle and I felt up too high over the horse, like I was hovering over his back, not sitting on it. Saddle was mega comfortable, but I didn't feel like I was about to wrap myself around the horse.

SonnysMom
Nov. 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
I used a Beval Devon Wide. Sonny is Sonny Dee Bar, Impressive breeding so think halter horse. Big popping shoulder muscles and well sprung ribs.
I have also used that saddle on a Percheron/TB cross that was 1560 lbs and 16.3H. Yes, that weight is correct. My trainer has a horse scale at the barn.

graustarkian
Nov. 21, 2010, 09:37 PM
If your horse is a "true" QH build, ... If it's a QH that has no wither, no major curves, and a flat back....

My Arabian mare fits this description to a T! LOL We finally ended up with a 36 cm Duett Rondo. I am in LOVE with this saddle, it's really wonderful to ride in and the quality for the price is excellent.