PDA

View Full Version : Walk/Trot classes

SirGali
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:14 PM
So, my seven year old lesson kid told me she wants to go to a show in the spring.

I'm a dressage rider. So far I've just been teaching her the basics of riding, she's not nearly at a point where she has to pick hunt seat or dressage.

I'm sure she'll be ready to go to a show for fun by spring, but I am getting a little worried that an intro level dressage test might be too nervewracking for her. The intro competition around here is stiff and I don't want it to be a bad experience or seem like too much memorization or stuffyness.

So, help me hunters! What are schooling show w/t classes like?

ParisHillEC
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
Around here they are split 10 and under and 11 and over.

There are two w/t classes. Equitation and pleasure. Once in a while I've seen the older kids asked to do a sitting trot.

Its somewhat competitive but we all cheer everyone on equally.

MHM
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:50 PM
The kids walk, trot, walk, reverse, repeat, line up.

If your kid can steer and control the pony/horse, she should be fine. Some areas have more competitive walk/trot divisions than others. Ideally, the child should know her diagonals without help, but plenty of people do a little prompting from the sidelines.

When it comes time to pick a show, you might want to call the manager in advance to get an idea of how many entries they expect in the division. For the first time out, I'd rather send a young child in the ring with a fairly small group rather than a huge herd.

Good luck! :)

Mayaty02
Nov. 18, 2010, 06:45 AM
here in Virginia, we have what's called a "pre-short stirrup" division which is the walk trot division. There is a Walk class, Walk/Trot and then Walk/Trot/Jumping position or sitting trot. Its a great little division for those just starting out. You'll see everything from the kid who doesn't know their diagonals to those who are rock solid walk and trot, and probably cantering and jumping at home. Depends on the show...good luck!!

jaslyn1701
Nov. 18, 2010, 06:48 AM
W/T division at my local shows has 3 classes - eq, us and pleasure. Again, it's w/t, reverse, repeat. I have been in shows where they ask for sitting trot or halts. It's lots of fun and a good way to see how a horse/rider works together.

mypaintwattie
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
W/T at our local circuit has four classes: W/T equitation, W/T Pleasure, W/T Hunter Under Saddle, and W/T Over Rails. Usually just W/T, reverse, but in the EQ class many judges will ask for sitting trot, halt, and back up.