PDA

View Full Version : Who has a body that horses built?

Wanderluster
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
If I start with my face- I have a scar on the bridge of my nose from a horse anxious to leave the trailer and planted the rear tail panel of the trailer in my face.
A missing piece of pigment on my right jaw where a rather unathletic horse happened to coincide with a determined opinion to jump the oxer.
Right shoulder is still not the same after being dislocated by a rambunctious horse on a lunge line.
Right knee is still getting stiff after having a green horse trip and sommersault which landed him squarely on his side, my knee was a cushion. Fingers and toes have all been victimized by riding accidents.
Dick Francis has an unusually accurate take on horse people overcoming injuries, tell your story ! Oh and try to be discreet too much gore is :eek:

Void
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have some very ugly toes from being broken two or three times each.

I have a scar on my whooo-la-la from a victory gallop gone terribly terribly wrong.

justjumpit278
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hm the only one that I really have is a scar underneath my jaw. A horse flung his head and nailed me there. But then again I'm still young. Ask me again in 20 year, I'm sure I'll have more to share. ;)

kinnip
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:11 PM
I have a scar on my whooo-la-la from a victory gallop gone terribly terribly wrong.

You win.

STA
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:33 PM
I literally have a rebuilt collarbone - broken in ten places. Broke all my ribs on the right side that day also. Those cross rails can be a !%?#*. lol I will take the four legged over the four wheels any day.

Brooke
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:39 PM
I have a perfect horseshoe indentation mid-thigh from a well placed kick 35 years ago.

gg4918
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Bone chip and torn tendon in my right ankle - Falling off my horse when i was 15

Slipped disk and fracture in my neck - Horse flipping on me over a jump

Multiple back injuries + Scoliosis that resulted in one of my lower right vertebrae misforming while still growing

Stress fractures in both my heels

Knee caps that rub against my tendons (from jumping)

LARGE scars on my toes - being stomped on

Torn tendon in my right hand - horse biting me strangely

I'm a physical therapists worst nightmare...they just cant fix me. To quote mine: "You're the worst case I've ever seen...I don't even know where to start"

KitCat
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:16 PM
Wow... I don't even want to think about 20+ years from now, but at 18:

back problems from being thrown onto two jumps by the same devil pony
a weird patch on my back that won't tan from getting stepped on by a mini after being bucked off
couple of broken toes from over-eager horses
random little scars on wrist from getting dragged along by a pony

netg
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:30 PM
I have a perfect horseshoe indentation mid-thigh from a well placed kick 35 years ago.

Mine was 20 years ago, but same thing! Left thigh - thankfully the wall she kicked me into didn't leave a brick imprint on the other leg.

I have what doctors think is a bunion but is a misformed big toe joint where my halter horse bounced off my foot when I was unloading him for a lesson in high school. Extra bump on my nose from an IHSA horse dumping me after a jump. Misformed middle finger from the same incident. Back problems from the horse with the catchy stifles who abused it when I was younger. And currently waiting to see after the swelling and bruises are gone if there's a permanent difference in my left cheek where my horse slammed me with his poll during a bucking/leaping spree the other day.... I don't think it'll leave a permanent mark as nothing appears broken and I didn't have a concussion, but the bruises are still developing/darkening now, so it's hard to be sure!

Equsrider
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:31 PM
oh my! too many scars to count from various horse or farm related incidents.
A broken big toe from Kicking a pony in the jaw because while leading him he decieded the grass over there was where he wanted to be and hyper extended my shoulder to get there.
A lacerated liver from a horse that would give any bronc horse a run for its money, I bailed after the 8 second mark!

Broken nose one, two, maybe three times...babies!

a couple broken ribs from a short stirrup pony dumping me on the race track in Ocala, P-O-N-Y, IS a four letter word!

A herniated disc, replaced with cadeaver bone and plate(20 years later!) from horse flipping over backwards on top of me at the ripe old age of 16...

carpal tunnel from braiding horses for a living when I was young and poor.

No cartiledge left in my knees from years of jumping

amazingly back is still pretty good(knock on wood!) and as long as I keep moving everything works, but sit me down for an hour, I need a crane to get back up, take a couple of steps, finally stand up straight....

All that, and not quite 50...have to say I am VERY selective about what horse I will get on these days!!

MHM
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:06 AM
Wow! Some of you guys really have some war stories! :eek:

The only really visible souvenir I have (so far, knock wood) is a lump on my lower back from a naughty horse who tossed me onto a row of 2" x 4" braces around a tree. I had a pretty spectacular set of bruises at the time. That was almost 6 years ago, so I suspect the lump is permanent.

The mental and emotional scars from a lifetime around horses- well, that's a different story! :lol:

rugbygirl
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:05 AM
Rugby and a lifetime of clumsiness built this body, 'yo...but horses have added (in FIVE short years!!)

-Big lumpy spot on outer left thigh that was once a hematoma that had a larger cup size than my boob

-Lumpy spot on right thigh (NOT symmetric with the left, sadly :cry:) that has long diagonal scar tissue down the front, and hoof-shaped scar tissue at hipbone

-Broken/bent pinky 'cause I let it stick out while attempting to master the crest release

-Mushed toes on right foot

-Big dark discolored patch on inside of left calf where I learned that riding in capri pants without chaps was inadvisable. I didn't feel the rugburn from my stirrup leather until I got off!

Green rider + green horse may = black and blue, but it does heal into the above, eventually.

**I initially opened this thread assuming it was going to be about ideal rider physique, and popped in to say that if my horse had built me I would be 4" shorter, 100lbs lighter and have the riding ambition of my sister ("trotting is too fast, this horse likes to walk better. Do you think he will walk over that stick?")

Equilibrium
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:30 AM
After years of starting youngsters, galloping racehorses, and riding races I have only broken my wrist, foot, and ankle. Have a very wonky neck but that's it really.

Terri

my_doran
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:31 AM
i have a scar on my forehead above my left brow,from my 6 mo month old colt deciding that he was going to spook at the boogeyman in the back corner of the arena.happened in 2004

Peggy
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:32 AM
I think my fingers are misshapen from years of holding reins. The ring fingers and fingers nearest the thumbs on both hands all curve towards the middle fingers. Right and left hands a pretty much the same so it can't be from writing. Anyone else notice this? Is it particular to people who ride?

I have an elbow that doesn't straighten so well in cold weather due to being slammed against a pipe when my horse quite rightfully launched me for sitting backwards on him. A funny toe with a funny toenail from getting stomped (I did add $5 to the bill for pulling the beast's mane). A scar down one arm from getting flung thru a barbed wire fence. My back doesn't feel so great some mornings. But I truly think I am in better shape than if I didn't ride. Had I followed the career path of department chairpersonship and/or academic senate leadership that some encouraged me to follow I'd probably be a lot fatter and in worse shape.

luchiamae
Nov. 18, 2010, 05:22 AM
Wow, some people here have certainly had it rough!

I have a stirrup leather rub on my legs from riding with no half chaps, stomped toes, mucked up ankles from riding short for jumping and a creaky hip from getting smashed into a fence on a bucking bronco.

My chiropractor enjoys my regular visits, he always says my stories are so interesting...

Princess Lauren
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:30 AM
Permanent scars on both shins and inner knees from multiple rubs. Thankfully now my skin is rather calloused. At the moment I have major bruising and scabs right below my left knee from a kick last week. Issues with my left shoulder's rotator cuff, from where I was struck by a rearing horse over the summer. Two days later a baby bucked me off so I reinjured the same shoulder and sprained my right MCL. My right knee hurts daily. At least when I'm on the horse I kind of have a built in brace (aka, their side) so my knee doesn't over flex that way. I have scoliosis, and horses have not made it better. I broke my pelvis 3 years ago, so in the winter it aches. That's about it.
The horses have given me killer legs and the opportunity to eat pizza and ice cream whenever I want. Thanks guys!

ktm2007
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:12 AM
Lets see....mine aren't nearly as "exciting" as some :eek:

I still have a scar/horse teeth indentation on my right thigh from being picked up and THROWN by a school horse when I was about 9.

Ive broken my nose...but it's fixed so you can't really tell

My left knee is not the same after surgery in 2001

Big scar on my right hand from getting it smashed by a naughty/freaked out horse at the washrack

I think that's about it....

sar2008
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:21 AM
From top to bottom:

Faint 2in. scar down the side of my face from being bucked off a greenie when I was 16. My first lesson that I was NOT invincible.

Nose - falling on a rock out, again about 13. Before approved helmets. The brim bent back and knocked right between the eyes.

Old cracked rib/broken left leg from a lovely refusal when I was about 13.

Broken tailbone - numerous times.

Right thumb - a bit deformed after being bit by a horse.

Top of my left hand - scar from coming off and having the rein buckle impail me.

Left wrist is severly arthritic. It makes a super wierd grinding noise when flexing. Like its bone on bone.

Arthritis in both knees. And I am not even 30 yet.

Quarter sized scar from getting kicked with a hind hoof that had a stud in it. The stud made impact right above my right knee.

Tons of old scars on the inside of both calfs (is this the appropriate plural form?) from rubs with jeans.

Broken toes that are now somewhat crooked.

Huge scar over my entire left foot. FLIPFLOPS (I know, I know. I am the biggest advocate you will ever know now.) holding a horse that stepped on me and ripped half my foot off.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:36 AM
Broken nose (what kind of a-hole snaps his knee up into his mom's face when she is bent over trying to apply antibiotic cream to a cut?)

Obligatory 2 inch scars on inside of each leg from stirrup burns.

Right big toe has permanent bruise and permanently screwed up toenail from being stepped on.

Have been bitten once (hard on bicep) by naughty school horse, but it didn't leave a scar and kicked once or twice, but not hard enough to leave a mark. Fallen less than the number of fingers on both hands and never seriously hurt.

Hmmm...been riding for about 20 years. 8 years on saintly lesson horses, 3 years on green broke saintly mare, and the last 8 years on somewhat saintly, ammie friendly gelding we bought unbroken at 3 years of age. I think I have been pretty dang lucky.

KNOCKING ON HUGE PIECE OF WOOD RIGHT NOW.

GypsyQ
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:42 AM
-Broken left ring finger thanks to an unbroke arab mare.
-Broken right middle finger thanks to a poorly mannered stallion.
-Numerous stomped toes.
-Patellar tendonitis in the right knee...usually the same knee that is always run into fence posts or trees by naughty horses.
-Floating rib that seems to float a bit too much due to a forced dismount.
-Broken wrist that still reminds me from a fall O/F.
-Sprained right wrist from tossing a flake of hay over a fence.
-Scar on my forehead sustained when I was 5 and my little brother didn't want to give back my Barbie horse so he hit me with it.

Buglet
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
-Broke both arms (radius & ulna in each arm) when horse freaked out in trailer.

-Indentation on right thigh from kick.

-Fractured ankle from a fall off of a pony.

-Large scar on underside of right arm from a yearling freaking out.

-Multiple broken ribs & lacerated liver from a kick to the chest. No major scars from the surgery, but the doctor did say that he could see a horseshoe impression on my liver on my MRI!

purplnurpl
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
yikes guys!!

I'm completely unscathed.

other then my brain...it's a little odd these days.
Well, and my little toe lays sideways due to being popped in 1/2. But that doesn't count because I'm the only one that knows.

tidy rabbit
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:25 AM
I'll start, top to bottom....

Little scar on my forehead where I bumped my head on an eye hook in the barn.

Scar on my right cheek that goes from my lip up to my ear where I met the gravel driveway face first as a kid. Which also involved a concussion and some cracked ribs.

Bone chip in my neck. Not exactly sure when that happened.

Bone chip in my right wrist that protrudes. Now they would do surgery on an injury like that, but when I was a kid... back in the dark ages, they just put a cast on it. Which I took off early so I could get back to riding.

Gnarled last knuckle on my right index finger from a yearling spooking while being led, he leaped forward, I let go of the lead rope but it had a knot in the in end of it, which snagged on the tip of my finger and busted it.

Right pinky finger, the bone between my knuckle and wrist, spiral fracture this summer from a horse putting his head up just as I reached over it to close a gate. His head hit the tip of my finger and I heard the bone in my hand break. gross.

Creeky knees from untold injuries.

Pin in my right ankle.

7 out of 10 toes that are grossly mangled and no longer bend.

mjrtango93
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:42 AM
Ok top to bottom seems the way to go here......

scar right at hair line above brow from one of those metal ended halters flipping and smacking me in the head when it was 30 degrees out.

nose is slightly crooked, its been broken 4 times :winkgrin:

left hand on the back side has a burn scar, horse decided to exit the trailer when I was pinning the divider back while wearing a nylon sheet

non of my fingers point straight

scar on stomach to the right of my belly button from the end of a horseshoe

broken tibia head that was re-installed with a plate, broken fibula same leg, same accident

other knee torn ACL at age 12 from a horse that decided exiting stage right was a great idea

1/2" scar on left shin from getting kicked by horse that got excited while loading. Should have gotten stitches but didn't tell mom in fear of being told I couldn't go to the show. It is now permanently open in the muscle over the bone. The skin grew back over the top but the muscle didn't close so you can touch it and feel the bone :eek:

My toes all point in a slightly different direction

Calvincrowe
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
Top to bottom:

Broken collar bone (the shoulder end) when I rolled over my horse's shoulder at the slowest possible trot and got my arm stuck in a picket fence panel:eek:.

Shattered humerus in shoulder--landing on a ground line following a wise stop by my horse---also broken ribs and scapula in the same incident. Still rehabbing this. Not riding much.

Bruised kidney following a gigantic bucking episode on a 17 hand pig. Ambulance ride and my first morphine. I like morphine:lol: Just not the pain that requires it.

Ruptured L5-S1 disks due to years of abuse from riding, running, soccer, stupidity as a child (who falls off a tree house wearing an army surplus backpack full of rocks? me!).

Blown ACL in my left knee from simply dismounting. Yup. Nothing fancy there.

Scar on my knee cap from a hay hook incident. I didn't pass out when I hooked my own knee. Sure made a neat hole to see exactly what pads your knee cap area, though.

Rope burn around my right leg at knee height from a tie-out rope (way back in the day!) and a pony on a windy day. Ziinnnggg! that's the sound of a rope zipping around your leg as a pony runs away from you.

Rubber mat burns on my knees and elbows from being knocked down in a stall by a yearling TB and then being danced on as she tried to jump over me.

Too many minor owies to count. One concussion, too, but that really didn't leave anything obvious.;)

HUET Brunette
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
I am literally cringing while reading your lists. My list is tiny compared to these stories!

I have matching scars on the inside of my calves from rubbing stirrup leathers while schooling camp horses over the summer in Umbro shorts and full chaps.

I’ve lost both big toenails from getting stepped on.

I have part of the tip of my left index finger mangled, lost that nail, and got stitches when I got bitten during an IHSA show.

I have a large scar on my elbow when I took a dive after a very large jump this summer – burned it on the gravel.

Broke a rib and bruised the hip bone on my right side during the same fall.

theblondejumper
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:00 AM
Got flipped on about 5 years ago....sometimes my lower back bugs me but not to often. I haven't broken any bones (yet) in life so that's good. Nothing a little yoga can't fix. I have to blame my stupid IT band on running...ugh.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:11 AM
I have a scar on my inner thigh pretty close to the hoo-haa. I was lunging a nasty 3 year old when she decided to make a wide turn and go around some standards. I was wearing shorts at the time and went flying into the standards and was stabbed with a jump cup pin. OUCH! I had completely forgotten about it until recently I was laying face down on my bed in some short shorts when my boyfriend saw it. He was a little taken a back..."Ummmm honey, what is that strange looking mark near your ummm stuff??" I panicked but once I realized what it was I started to laugh!

Horses have also given me severe carpal tunnel. Had 3 surgeries in 13 months when I was only 21-22. Now it looks like I'm having nerve issues in my neck that travel down into my elbow :(

GutsNGlory
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
Wow... I am certainly counting myself lucky after reading some of these lists! I have been fortunate to never (knock on wood!) have broken any bones.. that I know of ;) Which is especially lucky considering I not only ride horses (and have done everything from eventing to reining to gaming), but I also ride trail quads/4-wheelers (and have wrecked numerous times), and hang out with "rough and rowdy" group of guys and gals who trail ride with trucks, mud, and a variety of other activities. Of course, I'm only 22, so I'm sure this will expand with time!

Anyway... my list of horse activities that have left me with, er, gentle reminders:

- A 1/2 inch scar on my right shoulder/arm just above the armpit where one of my old horses bit me through 3 layers of clothing (2 t-shirts and a thick hoodie)
- Several small scars and rubs on my arms/elbows/back from grass and sand burn during falls
- Daily minor back pain/problems from a fall I had when I was 7
- A large lump in my left thigh (calcium deposit?) from when I stupidly jumped on my OTTB mare in the pasture from a corner fence post (she was completely lose in the pasture)... only to have her take off bucking and scrape me off on the said post.
This one has decreased over time though, so it should disappear in a few more years
- A few scars on my knee cap from a wheelbarrow accident. I was trying to dump it, had to go through a muddy paddock to do so.. took a running head start. Well, I ran, wheelbarrow did not, I tumbled over wheelbarrow and was left with black bruising and scrapes going from mid-calf to mid-thigh on one leg. It was very pretty :lol:
- Many more random small scars on my legs/feet/toes from regular day-to-day horse mishaps

Oh.. and I'm also allergic to both horses and hay/straw, so my extreme asthma is a daily reminder that it doesn't matter what horses do to my body, all that matters is what they do for my soul :)

RacetrackReject
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:48 AM

Ok, I can't even imagine how this happened.

My list is not great:

Scar under chin from getting kicked my evil Welsh pony mare. PONY, enough said.

Right knee/ankle issues from same damn pony mare running me into the side of the barn, or anything else she could find, when I was a kid.

Partial tear in Achilles from falling off. It wasn't a bad fall or anything. Horse just stopped, I had forward motion, but could have stayed on. Instead I just slowly let myself go over his shoulder thinking I would land on my feet. Right foot hung up, and I landed on my ass with horse looking at me like he was quite embarassed.

Mangled toes and some foot issues due to being stepped on. Not just stepped on but stepped on by big butted horse wearing shoes who proceeded to pivot on top of my foot.

Did something to wrists trying to pull on freaking pull on bell boots. Not sure what happened but if I stress them, I will get that same owie feeling.

Thanatos
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have what doctors think is a bunion but is a misformed big toe joint where my halter horse bounced off my foot when I was unloading him for a lesson in high school.

I have the same thing! My jumper was playing with a broom and I knew he was going to knock it over and scare himself. Sure enough, he knocked it over, stared at it, stared at me, snorted at it then leaped straight in the air and landed on my foot and proceded to stand there for a good five minutes staring at me while I pounded, yelled, pushed, etc. at him to move.

Pins in an arm, old healed fractures in the back, countless broken/dislocated fingers and toes, two knees that have each endured surgeries to attempt to fix. (sigh) But I can't imagine not riding!

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:59 AM
Broken nose, broken pinky twice. Some kinda messed up shoulder that was excrutiating until I got it injected - twice. It's been holding up fine for years now. Several head injuries where the lights either went out or I literally saw stars. Arm jammed into socket and broke because of it. Messed up neck from a face-plant.

Aliascml
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:04 PM
From top to bottom:

Some bounced around brains :)
Creaky neck
Soft tissue damage to my left shoulder
Scar of a horse shoe on my hand
Creaky/popping hips
Horse shoe scar on my shin
Some messed up toes from being stepped on

KateKat
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
whoa, some of y'all have major injuries there! I guess spend enough time around horses, its bound to happen. Mine consist of neck that sometimes hurts to turn from taking a couple tumbles. Nothing a chiro can't fix though. Sore/puffy spot on my left leg near the ankle where I hit it on a jump rail twice (in the same freaking spot in the span of a couple weeks, those suckers STING), top knuckle on my right ring finger all out of whack from a horse yanking a lead rope with a knot at the end out of my hand. Other than that though, just the normal aches and pains associated with riding!

3 is the limit
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:08 PM
Thank goodness mine are mild in comparison.

-1/2 scar in right eyebrow from 2 year old trying to kill me by sending me into an aluminum fence.

-rubs on both of my inside calf from leathers.

-a burn mark by my right ankle i recieved when I fell off my QH will jumping. His shoe rubbed me RAW through a 1/2 chap, britches, and 2 pairs of socks!

-broken arm that happened when i believed i could stop my fall with said arm. answer is no! Dr. didn't think I'd ever have full range of motion with it. After LOTS of PT, I proved him wrong!

hauntedoblivion
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:43 PM
Considering the number of times I've fallen off (I've lost count), my list is incredibly small:

*A permanently crooked pinky that was broken due to my inability to let go of the reins while being bucked off.

*Hip pain resulting from being launched hip first into a landscaping timber.. and breaking it. This was approx 5 or 6 years ago.

*Chronic back and knee pain that I attribute to riding (or falling, really). It could be from something else but they always hurt worse after riding.

I've had other injuries, but nothing that really lasted or left a scar. Most of my scars are from my general lack of grace in everyday life.

sptraining
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:58 PM
You must have meant, "body mutilated by horses". ;)

All of my injuries have been internal for the most part so no fun scars.

I have had a couple concussions. Double-barreled in the stomach. Stomped on (feet, arms, legs). Kicked in the butt (literally). Ripped out of the tack by a run-away horse when my boot caught a bolt on the corner of the stall (talk about a cartoon). Dislocated a shoulder WITHOUT falling off (I'm a natural talent, what can I say?). Oh the list goes on...

But from the outside I look fine...or mostly fine...the worst permanent damage done so far has been from the sun on my poor British-quality skin.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:14 PM

LOL, me too! Mine was 3 years ago. I'd suggest comparing indentations to see if they came from the same horse, but the one who got me is only 9. At least the leg didn't break. His aim was perfect in that respect.

Now, if you want to compare BRAINS built by horses, check with me in about 10 years. After 5 concussions in 10 years, 3 of them horse related, I'm going to be one fruitbatting crazy old lady, and I have a feeling I'll have some COTH company.

doublesstable
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:18 PM

I'm sooooo sorry but I laughed out loud!!! And I'm sooo sorry you got hurt but have recovered (hopefully) I had visuals.... Barka calls it the punn recovery.... "Whoo la la" (aahhhhhh haaaaaa) :lol::lol:

doublesstable
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:23 PM
Scars on left forearm from trimming hooves.

Scars on both shins from stirrup rubs.

Dent in left leg from hoof plantation.

AND Dr. says "all" my "lumps" on my shins are from flexing my heels... Yeah putting my heels down I got shin splints... hmmmm - oh but I keep doing it.

Keep those helmets on gals!!!

Oh yeah forgot when I was a kid a pony smashed my toe and the nail grew back all funny.... as kids we call this pony "Goldie the toe moncher".... as you can guess I wasn't the only person that she stepped on.. she did it on purpose!!

S4zeus
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:19 PM

I have this same indent but its a little higher. It was very scary when it happened, I couldn't pick the leg up. Its amazing how painful soft tissue damage can be.

I also have a shoulder that flares up from a seizuring horse falling on me and pinning me between him and the wall. I thought for sure my shoulder was broken, but it was all soft tissue.

Thats all for now, but I'm young and there is still time, I won't be giving up horses anytime soon.

Equsrider
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:35 PM
Me thinks the Op from the riding alone thread need to come read this one...

worth_the_wait08
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:44 PM
- reconstructed collarbone after a nasty pony bucked me off. I would have stayed on, but my girth was too loose. Lesson learned :no:

- screwed up back from landing on the ring fence in the same accident

- scar on my elbow from getting dumped at a fence

- scars on the insides of my knees and calves because of leather rubbing

- a really screwed up ankle from lord knows what- a weird dismount on frozen footing perhaps

- shin splints and really screwed up knees from jumping

Wanderluster
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
From top to bottom:

Faint 2in. scar down the side of my face from being bucked off a greenie when I was 16. My first lesson that I was NOT invincible.

Nose - falling on a rock out, again about 13. Before approved helmets. The brim bent back and knocked right between the eyes.

Old cracked rib/broken left leg from a lovely refusal when I was about 13.

Broken tailbone - numerous times.

Right thumb - a bit deformed after being bit by a horse.

Top of my left hand - scar from coming off and having the rein buckle impail me.

Left wrist is severly arthritic. It makes a super wierd grinding noise when flexing. Like its bone on bone.

Arthritis in both knees. And I am not even 30 yet.

Quarter sized scar from getting kicked with a hind hoof that had a stud in it. The stud made impact right above my right knee.

Tons of old scars on the inside of both calfs (is this the appropriate plural form?) from rubs with jeans.

Broken toes that are now somewhat crooked.

Huge scar over my entire left foot. FLIPFLOPS (I know, I know. I am the biggest advocate you will ever know now.) holding a horse that stepped on me and ripped half my foot off.

I'll start, top to bottom....

Little scar on my forehead where I bumped my head on an eye hook in the barn.

Scar on my right cheek that goes from my lip up to my ear where I met the gravel driveway face first as a kid. Which also involved a concussion and some cracked ribs.

Bone chip in my neck. Not exactly sure when that happened.

Bone chip in my right wrist that protrudes. Now they would do surgery on an injury like that, but when I was a kid... back in the dark ages, they just put a cast on it. Which I took off early so I could get back to riding.

Gnarled last knuckle on my right index finger from a yearling spooking while being led, he leaped forward, I let go of the lead rope but it had a knot in the in end of it, which snagged on the tip of my finger and busted it.

Right pinky finger, the bone between my knuckle and wrist, spiral fracture this summer from a horse putting his head up just as I reached over it to close a gate. His head hit the tip of my finger and I heard the bone in my hand break. gross.

Creeky knees from untold injuries.

Pin in my right ankle.

7 out of 10 toes that are grossly mangled and no longer bend.

Ok top to bottom seems the way to go here......

scar right at hair line above brow from one of those metal ended halters flipping and smacking me in the head when it was 30 degrees out.

nose is slightly crooked, its been broken 4 times :winkgrin:

left hand on the back side has a burn scar, horse decided to exit the trailer when I was pinning the divider back while wearing a nylon sheet

non of my fingers point straight

scar on stomach to the right of my belly button from the end of a horseshoe

broken tibia head that was re-installed with a plate, broken fibula same leg, same accident

other knee torn ACL at age 12 from a horse that decided exiting stage right was a great idea

1/2" scar on left shin from getting kicked by horse that got excited while loading. Should have gotten stitches but didn't tell mom in fear of being told I couldn't go to the show. It is now permanently open in the muscle over the bone. The skin grew back over the top but the muscle didn't close so you can touch it and feel the bone :eek:

My toes all point in a slightly different direction

Top to bottom:

Broken collar bone (the shoulder end) when I rolled over my horse's shoulder at the slowest possible trot and got my arm stuck in a picket fence panel:eek:.

Shattered humerus in shoulder--landing on a ground line following a wise stop by my horse---also broken ribs and scapula in the same incident. Still rehabbing this. Not riding much.

Bruised kidney following a gigantic bucking episode on a 17 hand pig. Ambulance ride and my first morphine. I like morphine:lol: Just not the pain that requires it.

Ruptured L5-S1 disks due to years of abuse from riding, running, soccer, stupidity as a child (who falls off a tree house wearing an army surplus backpack full of rocks? me!).

Blown ACL in my left knee from simply dismounting. Yup. Nothing fancy there.

Scar on my knee cap from a hay hook incident. I didn't pass out when I hooked my own knee. Sure made a neat hole to see exactly what pads your knee cap area, though.

Rope burn around my right leg at knee height from a tie-out rope (way back in the day!) and a pony on a windy day. Ziinnnggg! that's the sound of a rope zipping around your leg as a pony runs away from you.

Rubber mat burns on my knees and elbows from being knocked down in a stall by a yearling TB and then being danced on as she tried to jump over me.

Too many minor owies to count. One concussion, too, but that really didn't leave anything obvious.;)

Oh my lord in heaven, OUCH ! everybody. This thread is :eek: if not competitive for whomever has the ingury closest to death and disfigurement. Just what I'd expect with such a refined bunch :), HA.

doublesstable
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:02 AM
Oh my lord in heaven, OUCH ! everybody. This thread is :eek: if not competitive for whomever has the ingury closest to death and disfigurement. Just what I'd expect with such a refined bunch :), HA.

At first I thought you wanted info and pix of how strong and well shaped our legs and rear ends were from riding..

When I was a kid I wanted to ride horses and my brother said - "if you ride horses you will get a flat butt". Didn't stop me AND my butt is far from flat!

And my Mom just told me she will never forget my old horse; back in the 70's she had the lead rope wrapped around her hand... broke her finger.....and it hurts her now.....

Princess Lauren
Nov. 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
Forgot one, very impressive scar on inside of right calf from where I got on a naughty pony in only breeches and flip flops. The worst rub you can ever imagine. I had to take a week off so it would start to scab. Looked like a motorcycle burn lol.

Lynnwood
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:00 AM
:lol:Again top to bottom mind you I started riding at 4 and I'm 32 now so over all less injuries than a cage fighter more longevity.

Scar on my lower lip from a head slung with force in my direction.

Jaw is sore sometimes , pitched face first into the back rail of an oxer. Apparently it takes a lot of force to dislocate your jaw.

Faint scar mid chest of a pretty horse hoof. Who needs tattoos ;)

Bump mid chest from same mishap where broken sternum healed.

Two scars mid back on either side of my spine half dollar sized, gotten bitten picked up and thrown down the barn isle by a horse pissed off at his neighbor at feeding time.

Scar on outer fore arm where my sisters sainted pony used it to help himself get up after he tripped, went end over kettle with me on him. I'm so glad standing on my arm helped him get back on his feet :cool:

Broken tail bone..apparently my sister though jumping out from behind a tree while I was riding my green 3 year old was a GREAT idea. Amazing how quickly they can spin around and leave.

Bilateral matching scars mid calves from riding in shorts /w/out chaps dozens of times as a kid. Whats a little leather burn {{shrug}}

Bumps on my shins go go shin splints ...at least I match some of the horses.

Various toes smashed and bashed over the years.

Diva98
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:09 AM
The only scars I have are on both pinkie fingers - from a long lesson without gloves on a very strong horse in a pelham. I learned then and there to always ride with gloves.

I also pinched my sciatic nerve in a fall and still have a small numb spot on my left hip where the nerve endings never came back with feeling. My left hip bone also juts out weirdly from that fall. And I have a compression fracture in my L1 vertebrae, but you can't see that ... but I can feel it still from time to time.

This thread makes me hurt. :)

Nelzeagle
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
Just a few - scar through right eyebrow from horse's neck. Indentation on right thigh, left calf and left bicep from being dragged & trampled. And hopefully that is all I'll ever get!

LvdSprtHorse
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
My main injuries have been a really bad tib/fib fracture ( think worthy of the show "scarred" if youve ever seen it) then a year ago I fractured L1 L2 and L3 a few days before Halloween. Not my best memories. All my miscellaneous scars and such have earned me the nickname battle axe.

rainechyldes
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:50 AM
Wow - I'm not sure I want to catalogue them - I'll never go near a horse again.
Lessee..
6 inch scar on my left elbow from a broken elbow while riding.
4 crowned molars from a mare who liked to toss her head..a lot.
4 inch scar on my inside thigh from same mare who ran me through an apple tree.
a perfectly round 'I stood on your foot' bruise, that is still there 10 years later. (dunno why)
Several scars and stitch scar from a catastrophic wipe out that ended with me breaking my leg in 11 places.
an ongoing appointment with a chiro due to a head fall that left my neck perma screwed up..
a young horse rodeo caused a cracked skull and fractured cheekbone.
ribs cracked here and there over the years, a broken wrist, strained muscles, a chipped tailbone from a well placed kick (hated that mare)
lots of scars from riding in shorts etc as a kid.

many more minor ones that I can't think of now.
though to be fair, I've ridden for 30 plus years now (sigh I'm getting old) and I tend to have a thing for difficult horses.

Brooke
Nov. 19, 2010, 02:46 PM
I guess I could add: broken left arm as a little kid on a barely broke pony, three ribs when a horse crashed through a coop in a hunter class,flipped, and landed me into the wall, a broken navicular bone when a stupid, good-for-nothing green mare just went head over heels trying to canter down the rail. Oh, and a broken foot. All in all, not bad for the length of time I've been around horses. And both of my index fingers point intward - I think it's from holding the reins against them with my thumb. Anyone else have that one?

Eklecktika
Nov. 20, 2010, 01:02 AM
Wow. My list isn't nearly as impressive as many!

Lets see.

Bottom up, I have a skewed baby toe from a horse who decided to park on my boot, and would.not.move.

I have the, as someone said, obligatory scars from fender burns at my knees (I don't do shorts much, as a result)

I have a scar and a substantial dent in my left quad from a horse that had great aim-it was gross. Chunks of dead muscle...anyway. Gore. Yeah. Got it.

I have a trick left knee from a horse that had a massive attitude attack and ran my leg at full speed-literally, a hard run-into a railroad tie fence post. That was quite possibly the most painful of any of them. Not only did I have to get the friggin horse under control, I had to get OFF the damn thing. It's a good thing I didn't have any sharp objects handy-I'd have happily murdered the horse with a ballpoint pen.

I have a jammed and tilted pelvis from a colt that dumped me square on my A$$.

I have a skewed right shoulder from being bucked off on a gravel road at a high rate of speed-stupid bird dogs.

I have a scar at the base of my skull from being dumped and hitting a rock 'just right' to miss my helmet.

I have a rockin' set of biceps, delts and lats from hauling hay every summer since I was 12 years old-I was the envy of the weight class in high school. :D Hey, good is good, right?! And related to that or not, I don't know, but I can build muscle like crazy. I've been told that hard work around puberty sort of 'sets' the pit for future HGH production...true or BS, I dunno. It's handy though.

I have fan-TAST-ic posture. (All those years of sit up! head up! LOOK where you're going!)

And from OTTB #1, I have a permanently damaged pituitary from whiplash induced concussion. He found wire in grass, went ballistic, threw me (actually, I picked my spot and bailed, rolled, landed on my shoulders I *think*) and somewhere on the way, I lost consciousness. I had no bruising anywhere, but my pituitary shut down. I have what is called hypopituitarism, or secondary adrenal insufficiency. I was still nursing heavily at the time-DS was 7 months old?-and that can cause slight enlargement of the pit. It's been described as a variant of Sheehans syndrome. Several sessions of craniosacral massage actually improved function enough that I was able to stop taking a couple steroids, but when stressed, good or bad stress, I still need my hydrocortisone/prednisone to function properly.

Oh-and one more. A scar inside my lower lip from being kicked in the face by a two year old when I was nine.

Not as spectaular as some, but by golly, it's been worth every single scratch and 'dent'!

Crown Royal
Nov. 20, 2010, 10:16 AM
a weird patch on my back that won't tan from getting stepped on by a mini after being bucked off

Me too! I was the rider that got to test if a family's 4 year old 9.3 hand mini was broke or not (came from an auction). Well, she wasn't, but we were doing well until we got to trotting and the saddle slipped sideways and she started stomping on my back after I came off. Only 4 years ago though. Big lighter colored patch on my lower back.

My left shoulder pops a lot and had some more stiffness because it was dislocated and put crooked when I fell off my pony into the electric fence, then landed on a big rock.

Misshapen pinky fingers from fiesty ponies that kick and pull hard on their halters.

My right ankle got smashed when I was 11 from our new Arab pony that reared up when I was leading him outside. I didn't go to the doctor then, and now it pops, and pops, and pops, and I can't run long-distance anymore.

Scar on the outside of my right knee from when I was 8. Aggressive/dominant horse got loose when I was riding my pony in the ring at camp and got me instead of the pony.

Jaw popping issues and stiffness in my neck from when our unbroken Arab mare bucked me off into the fence.

Numerous smaller white scars located on various parts of the body- legs, feet, arms, etc.

alibi_18
Nov. 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
Wow! I'm glad I only have small little scars...
One is on my left bicep...where a horse took a bite of it! Couldn't move my arm for few hours...not much blood, but my friend told me it was kinda deep...couldn't look at it...so rush to the emergency as I thought the muscle had been damaged...but no, only cosmetic dollar size scar!

And one scar behind my right knee as i got rushed into a fence post on a horse going backward...thought my knee was dislocated...no again, just a big chunk of skin got missing, hanging on the post with a piece of my breeches...yuk...

Knocking on wood for the last 20yrs have been riding!

gmv567
Nov. 20, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have so many scars... from not riding! It's strange. Riding related injuries include a permadent in the quad from a kick at least 6 years ago and scars on my fingers from pulling manes, it makes them bleed! I do think that I am going to have some very bad knees and hands, and maybe my back (but I think that is from pole vaulting). At 16 I already think that I have arthritis in my fingers. If I close them really tightly around something it hurts to open them. My knees crack every time I squat. Both knees, at least 6 times a day. I have just started to notice them getting sore when I walk/run up or down stairs. What do I do about them, I don't want to continue damaging them. :confused: