PDA

View Full Version : WWYD?

Brooke
Nov. 17, 2010, 07:22 PM
I have an adorable 15.1h pinto mare. Super cute mover, adorable over fences, good step, great mind. She is more of a QH type, but not thick, and is fine boned. She hurt herself playing in the pasture and will be laid up for probably quite a long time. I'm thinking of breeding her while she sits. My question is: should I try to breed her to a TB, or to a WB of some sort ? She is not registered, so I don't know whether I could register a foal as a WB. I guess I'm wondering which (all things being equal) cross would provide the most saleable foal?

Joyrider
Nov. 17, 2010, 07:32 PM
Have you thought about breeding to a pony? The good pony breeders are a wealth of knowledge about which size/types/lines would be a good match. Nothing more cute than a pinto pony hunter too!

Pirateer
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:01 PM
Why does it need to be bred?

And because it has ovaries is not the correct answer ;)

Long Spot
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:39 PM
Why does it need to be bred?

And because it has ovaries is not the correct answer ;)

Nor is boredom. ;)

goldenhorse
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
If marketability is the question then you need to define your market. What is selling in your area and will it still be in fashion when you go to sell your foal? Most people are not looking to buy grade foals that will sit around in their pastures until they are 2 or 3 which means said foal will be in your pasture until it is old enough to sell.

If that is not an issue for you and you can train and handle a youngster properly (and it is not easy) and feed it, then you need to find the stallion that best compliments your mare.

Disposition, achievements, achievements of offspring, dispositions of offspring, and conformation that requires no improvements on either side are important to me. I always breed mares to stallions that are the same height or close to it. I also breed foals that can and will be registered (appendix QH). The appendix does well in my area because we have people who show local, A, and breed shows and want a horse that can do it all.

FWIW, I am no big breeder just a small time conscientious one. I have not bred any mares in the last 2 years and probably will not this year either.

Wanderluster
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
Brooke calculate what a foal costs, breeding, vet care after birth, and at least one year post delivery.
Also add the possibility that you will not sell the offspring for 1yr, 2yrs, 3yrs.
Worst case you do not have an interested buyer until it has been trained to a level that the average market purchases.
I have a mare on the small side 15.1 that was bred to be a show hunter, her lines are Absolute on the sire side and her mare was a pretty good moving , straight legged TB.,with no obvious faults.
I have a lifetime commitment to the mare, her best attributes match well with a pony sire, however I have experience with the market for green ponies and they are small slice in the overall market. I'll only breed to own , even when I feel that result is something potentially spectacular.

Brooke
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thank you all. You've given me some things to think about. As I said, I'm still just trying to figure out what to do with her, and breeding her is just one option I'm investigating. I'm taking her to the vet again tomorrow, so I'll know more then. Thanks again.

JumpWithPanache
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:23 AM
I thought about the same thing when my mare was diagnosed with her suspensory issue. My mare isn't perfect but our vet is very confident that bred to a very nice stallion (which is the only way I'd breed anyway) we could probably produce a pretty fancy foal. Ok, so far, nice idea. Then I started thinking costs... shocker! Just to get the mare preggo we were talking at least $3000, if she took on the first cycle. I decided it was way too expensive to bother with for a lay-up period. If I'm going to breed her in the future it will NOT be as a time filler at all. It WILL be very well planned and budgeted for well in advance. And FWIW, my mare is registered, thus foal would be registerable with a WB society. Also, I've been watching a breeder's site who was some gorgeous babies that I'd be happy to bring home, and even in the mid-upper four figures these very nice weanlings - two year olds are having a tough time selling. Sorry, but the market really isn't out there to recoup the investment if baby has to be sold in a hurry (and probably not even at all).

hollyhorse2000
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:34 AM
As a horse owner who bred a friend's mare in order to get a baby I could "build from the ground up," I highly recommend that you NOT do this -- unless you have your own farm and are capable of doing all the training yourself. And even then, it's just such a crap shoot.

I probably spent $20K on a baby who was very nice, fortunately had no health issues during the five years I owned her, but was too small for me. I could not train her myself and I preferred riding my schoolmaster to a baby. I sold her for far, far less than I put into her. She did end up in a very nice home and I am thrilled, but the heartache of selling her and the worry about where she'll spend her life is not worth it . . .

SmartAlex
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:43 AM
In the long run, it would be easier on your pocket book to watch her stand and eat grass for two years than to breed her. I'd let her enjoy her time off and save my cash. ESPECIALLY if the foal would be raised as an only child without pasture mates it's own age to grow with. Weaning one foal when you are not set up to raise youngsters is a royal PITA.

Brooke
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:28 PM
After an ultra-sound and speaking with my vet, I'm looking at maybe 6 mo layup. I do keep my horses at home, so that's a little less expensive. (Unfortunately, in southern CA, so no grass!) So maybe I'll get her a goat for a companion so she's not so lonely, and just let her sit for a while. Thanks for all the suggestions.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 19, 2010, 07:52 AM
I won't tell you which way to go with this because I have bred several horses, because I could.

All 4 of my non-professional breedings were successful. Two I still own and have been great, useful horses for my family. Will never sell. Another is at a lesson barn and is one of the most popular ponies there. My last foal died as a 2yo. That experience is what made me decide to probably never do it again. Losing them is hard enough...losing one your babies is awful.

One of mine cost literally abou $1,000 from conception to 3. Won a breeding to Farnley Belshazzar, mare was easy breeding easy foaling. Blah Blah Blah. The 2yo I lost costs over 10,000 from conception to death...so keep that in mind (and the stud fee was cheap and the mare's actual pregnancy costs were low).

I've decided I'd much rather spend the money and buy a nice youngster if I want to raise another. We bought a long yearling from VT two years ago and it has been much less stressful than breeding ourselves.

That said, if you decide to do it, I recommend the pony-route with your mare. Ponys are generally easier to raise for newbies, have less problems (generally ;) ) and are cheaper. And her size will make her a good match for lots of really nice pony stallions (I do miss pony stallion shopping ;) ). If she's a maiden, you may have a little leeway on size the first breeding.

analise
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:51 AM
Not criticizing, just confused.

If you've got a horse who has some sort of injury (presumably of the leg) and needs to be laid up because it can't be worked...why would it be a good idea to breed said horse and add in the weight and stress of carrying a foal to that layup time?

Brooke
Nov. 19, 2010, 02:55 PM
I don't know that it would be a good idea. :) That's why I was looking for suggestions. I did think about that, but then thought that she would'nt probably be getting very heavy for 6 or 7 months at least, (especially if bred to a pony) and vet says that she should be good by then. But I think I'm probably seeing the practicality of it all, and will just let her sit.

mrsbradbury
Nov. 19, 2010, 03:11 PM
After an ultra-sound and speaking with my vet, I'm looking at maybe 6 mo layup. I do keep my horses at home, so that's a little less expensive. (Unfortunately, in southern CA, so no grass!) So maybe I'll get her a goat for a companion so she's not so lonely, and just let her sit for a while. Thanks for all the suggestions.

If you want a pasture mate for a while, why don't you offer to foster a rescue or ofer space for another layup, then you can fill that extra non-riding time with lots of grooming and groundwork.

;)

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 19, 2010, 03:12 PM
I love the goat idea! I have 2 and my one horse loves them ( the others ignore them or chase them around!) . Just make certain you have the right kind of fencing ( Search "goats and fencing").

Elouise
Nov. 19, 2010, 05:29 PM
Breeding is not for the faint of heart.

I lost my mare when she foaled, bottle fed the baby for a few days and then secured a nurse mare. Very traumatic few days.

I still own the baby (he is 7 now), but have faced multiple heart breaks down the road with him.

Would I ever do it again? Not on your life.