PDA

View Full Version : College in Horse Areas

eq3019
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:32 PM
Since I am considering transferring colleges, I thought I would throw this out there:

What are the best areas to go to college in that have strong show barns in the area? I just need a couple areas to work off of. If anyone has any specific recommendations of barns near a college, I would love to have them! Feel free to PM me.
And by show barn I mean A and AAs that are local/semi-local. I just want good quality care and instruction. I'm not looking to ride on a college team.

netg
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:39 PM
Can you narrow it down more? How close is close? What kind of climate/school/part of the country? Do you need lesson horses, or have your own? How about budget?

If you're interested in the University of Arizona, several other COTHers and I would probably recommend the same trainer 15-20 minutes from campus, for example.

chestnutwithchrome
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:52 PM
I went to U.C. Davis, right outside of Sacramento, and found it to be very horse central. There were a ton of shows, both schooling and A and B hunter jumper shows within an hour of the barn. There were at least 6 barns in a 15 minute radius to the university. Andrea Barbee runs a hunter/ jumper sales barn about 20 minutes away in Dixon, and goes to all the local shows. I rode with her and found her to be extremely knowledgeable and great to work with.

makeasplash
Nov. 17, 2010, 07:00 PM
I thought about Washington and Lee in Lexington, Virginia but I go to Penn State which is definitely not in a horsey area but I found an amazing trainer and we make it to A/AA shows 2 times a month. Don't limit yourself to horsey areas! Although it would be helpful... And UVA is in Charlottesville which is right by the Barracks.

eq3019
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hm well I would say anywhere south of CT (need warmer weather! College I am currently at is in upstate NY. Stupid me:lol:). My parents wouldn't be too thrilled about California.. So that is out haha. I'm really thinking about the Raleigh area, as well as somewhere in Florida or Virginia.

Pretty much the states I am thinking about:
NC, SC, VA, MD, FL, GA, TN, maybe DC area. MO would be an option as well since I have family there.

May have my own, but if I don't then, I would probably be looking to lease something. (hunter-y I suppose, but I dabble in the eq).

I'm not totally basing it off the riding scene but.. where I am now has very few options and I found myself realizing that I need a better situation if I am going to change schools. (I am changing for multiple reasons).

norcalammie
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:44 PM
What is your major or what will be your major as that might make a difference as well?

eq3019
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:47 PM
Psychology, so it is a pretty easy one! Might minor in sociology but that is just a thought for right now.

mroades
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:14 PM
USC as in South Carolina, Camden in 30 minutes away, and you cant go 5 miles in any direction in Camden without hitting an AA trainer

makeasplash
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Also to add, University of Delaware is about 40 minutes away from West Chester and with that Louise Serio and a bunch of other trainers who do the A shows. Sadly not a ton of AAs during the school year in the area though.

Fiction
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
What about University of Kentucky? Lexington is as horsey as it gets.

HunterRider992
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:47 PM
UVA with The Barracks

Hunter Mom
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:12 PM
There are several nice schools in St. Louis, as well as a pretty full schedule of shows there and area trainers who attend them.

Ben and Me
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:13 PM
I thought about Washington and Lee in Lexington, Virginia....

Hi! Recent W&L grad here! I loved everything about W&L, but it is definitely a school that you'll want to visit before committing since it isn't for everyone...and it doesn't have a ton of transfer students, though there definitely are some. It's small enough though that most folks will know that you're a transfer student! That being said, I loved the psych classes I took (great professors! And great opportunities to get involved with research as an undergrad) and Lexington/Rockbridge County can't be beat for beautiful scenery. There are a few A coaches in the area -- the team rides with Gordon Reistrup, who also has clients that compete at As.

UVA is gorgeous as well!

ETA -- just saw that you're interested in the Raleigh area as well. I'm from Raleigh -- lots of good schools in the area (NCSU, UNC and Duke) along with lots of smaller schools. Harold Chopping is in Southern Pines, and goes to a lot of the As -- there are also lots of barns in the Raleigh area that compete regularly.

My brother attends Davidson College, which is outside of Charlotte, and loves it -- but it is also a small school, like W&L. I can't speak to the horse scene at Davidson, other than when I was looking at colleges (almost 10 years ago! Eek!) I heard that it is mostly a dressage scene. There is a tack shop right in town though -- and downtown Davidson is adorable!

cayman
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:46 PM
I go to the University of Delaware. I really like it and the barn that I keep my horse at is wonderful. It is a very horsey area super close to Chester County PA and a lot of barns in MD as well as in Delaware (those are more limited but everything's close)

BybeeGirl
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:51 PM
I think UVA would meet your criteria for strong show barns in the area. I believe that a 20 minute drive in any direction from the University would land you very near many, major show barns. The fact that UVA riding is hosted by the Barracks says a lot.

That said, I can't fathom choosing a college solely for that reason. I loved UVA, from grounds to the atmosphere, to well, just about everything. Everything except the program I chose. Blech. In hindsight, I would trade riding, atmosphere, and the picturesque setting for a stronger program in my chosen area. It's a great school, in an area with a lot of perks, but it isn't for everyone, for sure.

What academic area are you interested in?

eq3019
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:03 AM
I think UVA would meet your criteria for strong show barns in the area. I believe that a 20 minute drive in any direction from the University would land you very near many, major show barns. The fact that UVA riding is hosted by the Barracks says a lot.

That said, I can't fathom choosing a college solely for that reason. I loved UVA, from grounds to the atmosphere, to well, just about everything. Everything except the program I chose. Blech. In hindsight, I would trade riding, atmosphere, and the picturesque setting for a stronger program in my chosen area. It's a great school, in an area with a lot of perks, but it isn't for everyone, for sure.

What academic area are you interested in?

Well I'm interested in psych. Not sure about the specific area for it though, probably a general BS or BA and then will go more specific in grad school. I hope to be able to do research, but honestly I can go so many different ways with it and I'm still figuring out what it has to offer. What did you end up studying?

The college I am at now doesn't have a very big/strong psych program so that is one of the reasons I am transferring. I figure to at least look in areas where I know there will be riding, but it will not be the sole factor for me going anywhere.

I'm leaning toward a bigger school though. I've had enough of small schools in high school.

Anyone know about Florida Gulf Coast University and the riding near there?

SmplySweet1021
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:09 AM
Psychology, so it is a pretty easy one! Might minor in sociology but that is just a thought for right now.

It is a pretty easy degree to find everywhere but where do you want to go with this degree? If you want to be a practicing psychiatrist then you need to choose an undergraduate school that is more tailored to that and is a ranked school in your major. Just because School A might have your major & be in a very horsey area does not mean it is the best school/option for you.

Think more long term, you never know what curve balls life might throw at you. Ask me how I know :winkgrin:

eq3019
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
It is a pretty easy degree to find everywhere but where do you want to go with this degree? If you want to be a practicing psychiatrist then you need to choose an undergraduate school that is more tailored to that and is a ranked school in your major. Just because School A might have your major & be in a very horsey area does not mean it is the best school/option for you.

Think more long term, you never know what curve balls life might throw at you. Ask me how I know :winkgrin:

Believe me, I realize this. I will not be choosing on this factor. I am just narrowing my search slightly with some recommendations. Not sure what I want to do with psychology yet, but I plan on narrowing my field as I take more courses since I haven't experienced all of what it has to offer.

Horse area is a plus, but not the only factor for me. I just figured I might as well look where I know there will be a population of quality horse trainers.

RyuEquestrian
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:14 PM
Stetson University in Deland, FL. Right near Orlando.

eqgirl228
Nov. 18, 2010, 05:54 PM

second that one

gholem
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:17 PM
Tons of places around Stanford. There's even one on the campus.

xxreddxheaddxx
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:09 PM
Come to Georgia. Go to a small college either in the city or maybe right outside and then work and live in Alpharetta.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:59 PM

Uh I will go ahead and say though, it can be HARD to find the right hunter/jumper program, at least in the Lexington area. It is getting better but be prepared to drive. The upside is, it is a lot cheaper boarding and training here than it is in GA (where I originate from).

I lucked out on finding a great trainer and a good, manageable lease, but that was honestly the stars aligning the right way. What's happened for me won't happen for everyone. fyi I currently attend Centre College in Danville, KY, and our psych program is really starting to bloom.

AKB
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:22 AM
UMD, College Park. There are lots of good hunter barns, as well as good eventing and dressage barns, within 40 minutes of the school.

bazinga
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:49 AM
If you are up for leaving the country University of Toronto is pretty central to all the top show barns in Ontario, with most of the A shows being held within 40 minutes of the campuses.

gasrgoose
Nov. 19, 2010, 10:12 AM
fyi I currently attend Centre College in Danville, KY, and our psych program is really starting to bloom.

Are there many places around Centre to ride? I've always admired Centre and have mentioned it to my daughter as an college to consider.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 19, 2010, 04:05 PM
Are there many places around Centre to ride? I've always admired Centre and have mentioned it to my daughter as an college to consider.

It depends on what you're looking for. There are boarding barns, and there are local low-level trainers that attend the locally rated KHJA shows. To go to the A's (or have a balance of locals and A's) with good instruction, you will have to venture further north around the Lex area.

However, having ridden at an A show barn in GA and competed actively in the junior hunters and eq, I had to search further to find a barn that had a more advanced program with a good trainer who went to both the A's and locals. I now currently train with Joyce Brinsfield (Ballyhigh Show Stables) out in Versailles and couldn't be happier. The drive, though, is a long ways off. I drive 1.5 hours round trip, 4-5 days a week. This is all I do in my free time; I quickly learned I'd rather ride than party in college.

I will be blunt and say the only reason I considered Centre is because my parents said I could take my junior hunter to school with me second semester, but then he was sold, and I didn't find out about it until I was already attending school. Had I known I wasn't going to have a horse, I would have stuck with my original choice of SBC and not given Centre a second thought because there was no upper level/competitive show barn near the school.

That being said, the school has a lot to offer, and it has been a good growing experience for me. Probably not the best school for the career I am pursuing (decided belatedly I wanted to be an opera singer, and Centre doesn't offer a BM nor is the music program geared towards producing professional musicians), but for me as a person and intellectual, it has been a "best fit" school. Also, I never would have figured out I wanted to sing for my supper if not for my incredible voice prof here.