PDA

View Full Version : Will an old injury hold my mare back in the Hunter Ring?

wicked1
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:01 PM
Ok....so here is my question...bare with me a bit. I have been Eventing for the past 10 years but I will be splitting my time and heading back into the Jumper ring (pre-eventing I did Eq. and Jumpers for a number of years). One of my horses is my long time partner who has done EVERYTHING, she was my Eq. horse, then my Childrens Jumper, then my Adult AM Jumper....my Open Jumper.....needless to say she is very seasoned. She is now in her mid teens and still healthy as an Ox however I do not want to push her with the big jumpers anymore. She has a very nice jumping style and is a big black Han. that grabs everyone's eye when she walks in the ring. I would really like to give my mare a shot at the Hunter Derbies.....so here is the question (finally). Right after I purchased her she had an accident with a Groundhog hole in her pasture. Despite a month of very swollen legs she never went lame (and has never been lame) however scar tissue formed on her tendon sheaths right above her fetlocks on both hind feet (they look like really large windpuffs). We have tried draining them and it makes them smaller but it was more of a hassle then it seemed to be worth so we stopped (plus being in the jumper ring and Eq ring although a little unsightly they were never an issue). So that is my question, it has taken me time to bring her back from a few years off to be a mom so we have just stuck to small local rated shows, however this summer I would like to get her back on the main circuit, will most judges see her bumps as a "conformation defect" and mark her down in any Hunter Classes? This seems sadly unfair but I will understand if it will be the case.

findeight
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:57 PM
Only in classes specifically labeled Conformation Hunter will any kind of blemish/scar/lump or bump result in any kind of a deduction.

The Derbies are usually 4' with the options at 4'3" soon to be 4'6" but can be done lower down at an increasing number of shows. Just be careful returning a mid teener that's been off for a few years to work at the top levels.

wicked1
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification that does leave me with some nice options. I probably should have been more specific, she hasn't been totally out of work. She has been getting ridden regularly and is still jumping/showing at 3'9"/4' so I don't see why there would be any reason she couldn't do a few derbies, 15 is the new 10 ;)! Thanks for the answers!

Addison
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
Just a blemish ...should not be a problem except as posted above. Good luck to you.