PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! I finally cantered my OTTB!

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:28 AM
For those of you who remember my last post about my newly acquired OTTB.... I finally started to canter him...ok, it's just one circle here, then trot, then walk, etc...but this is a big breakthrough for us!

We've been working on trot work for the past month...learning how to bend, half halt, upward and downward transitions to the trot, not falling in, etc....the times before this that we tried the canter...well, let's just say, it was not pleasant.

Last night, after working him on the longe a little, i got on and trotted. He felt so good that I put him back on the same circle on which we were longing and just said, "canter" (we are working on voice commands.) He picked up the nicest canter...got a little fast on one side of the circle...so I sat down said, "woah" and "trot"... as I bent him in and supported him more with my inside leg, he softened to my inside hand and actually stayed (for a stride or two) in my outside rein! WOO HOO!! I was a very excited mommy!!!

Quinn
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
What a great feeling! Excellent progress.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:28 AM
thanks. I'm proud of my "baby" horse!

LuvMyTB
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:38 PM
Congrats! It's so much fun when they finally start understanding and progressing. I've been cantering my OTTB since last fall, but it's just been in the last 2 weeks that the quality of the canter has started to improve. So exciting.

myalter1
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah, it was just one circle...then trot....then later on one more circle...The best part was that when i trotted after the first canter, the QUALITY of the trot was way better than it had been the other times (3) that i have cantered him. He did trot too fast, on his forehand with no brakes....i was proud of him. He's a good boy (and he's starting to gain weight and change shape!!! His neck is getting nice muscle on his topline, and he is losing his bony angular hips...) Can't wait to see what he looks like next summer!