PDA

View Full Version : traveling trainers in Lexington KY

fleur de duc
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:24 AM
I know I have posted a few threads about the horse scene here, but now I have yet another specific thread.

I love the barn I am at. I don't want to leave, both my horse and I are happy for once in a long time. I attempted to wander over to the eventing world recently, but we both have found its not what we want to do. So now I am trying to get back into the hunter ring.

We don't have a resident trainer at my barn. Its a quiet low key place, but we do have a VERY nice ring with very nice jumps. Any outside trainers are welcome as long as they are insured.

So that leads me to my next question ... Can I get some references of trainers that travel to farms? I would like to make our way up again in to the A's but I am more concerned about the quality of the training than getting there fast. I do not want a new horse, have no intention on replacing my guy, so I really do not want to be told that (which is what I have found). I want someone that is down to earth, good with green/difficult horses, but will work with what we are, not try to replace my mount.

I unfortunately cannot travel right now. I have a trailer here but no truck. So Trainer must come to me. I am a poor college student, but at the same time, know I am paying for professional services, and I want quality so I am not looking to get above and beyond for little cost. I would be interested in weekly lessons and possibly show coaching.

I have done hunters my whole life, competed up to 3'6 and hope to get there again. I really want a focus on my equitation too though. I hate the way I ride, I need someone to whip me into shape.

I don't need the top of the top, busy as can be trainer. I would even give a new, up and coming type a try. I had my greatest success with a small time trainer back home and loved the atmosphere a smaller barn brought. I just need someone who is knowledgable and trust worthy. My horse is tough, but I am capable and want someone who wont baby us but realizes this is what I have to work with. We had a bad fall almost 2yrs ago and i thought I was over it, but now that I havent really jumped high, I find myself getting nerves again. I am looking for someone who isn't spread too thin and can help our individual issues.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My farm is 7min from the horse park.

dags
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:17 AM
Well, I'm moving there at the first of the year and will be looking for a limited number of situations just like this. Feel free to pm or email me to stay in touch in case you are still looking come February.

findeight
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:38 AM
Join the KHJA and the OHJA (Ohio) or, at least, go to their websites. Go ahead and call "permanent" trainers.

Most are scrambling for business and will travel-I know there are a few in Northern Ky-Cincinnati only an hour away from you that do a decent job but are not big guns.

Never hurts to ask.

ddashaq
Nov. 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Have you tried calling around to the local hunter barns? One of them might have a trainer or assistant trainer that is willing to travel. I am not a hunter, so I actually have no idea who is good or not to so good. I have seen Scheffelridge and Punchestown at the local schooling shows and they both seem to have some good riders.

fleur de duc
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:37 PM
That's the thing. I do not know where to call. I don't know any hunter barns here and the few I do, I know will not work. If their lessons on farm are 65+ I know I won't be able to swing their traveling lessons.

findeight
Nov. 17, 2010, 03:02 PM
With gas and travel time, I'm afraid you will be lucky to pay that. Average around here at the smaller barns is probably 35-50. AA barns are 60-80.

Can you get together with some of the other boarders to bring somebody in?

fleur de duc
Nov. 17, 2010, 03:41 PM
With gas and travel time, I'm afraid you will be lucky to pay that. Average around here at the smaller barns is probably 35-50. AA barns are 60-80.

Can you get together with some of the other boarders to bring somebody in?

Sorry no, I am the only one looking. ITs a very small barn. And I have found the majority to be around $40 here, but I am looking for some suggestions as to who to go to and maybe who to stay away from. Im not really looking for an AA barn. I would be much happier in a smaller program with good training. Yes my goal is to get him back to the 3'6 but Im not looking to do that by spring. Im hoping to just find a competent enough trainer to get us both going again. And I am not looking too far outside of Lex to cut down on gas costs. I cannot travel to them, so it really isnt feasible to look outside of Lexington.

fleur de duc
Nov. 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
any other opinions?

I called a few bigger names today but havent had much luck. Anyone know any leser known/new people in the area?

ddashaq
Nov. 18, 2010, 06:36 PM
If only you wanted eventing instruction, I could give you lots of names!!

Paddlestone goes to the local hunter circuit, Champagne Run seems to be an event barn, but has multiple trainers so maybe one of them? You could try Robert Murphy Stables, as well. I don't know if the trainers will travel but one of the girls I board with rode over there for a while and liked them. Last resort, go to Lakeside next month and ask around. I know there are some other barns out there, I just don't know the names!

redhorse5
Nov. 18, 2010, 06:45 PM
Craig Shegog

http://craigshegog.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

He is really a super trainer, wonderful rider, sincerely honest and most importantly, my horses love him. He always shows up on time, gets the job done and has helped me immensely with my riding and the condition of my horses.

His phone number is on his website.

He trained with some of the best and it shows.

Marcella
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:30 PM
2nd Craig Shegog

David Beisel (sp?) was up in Cinci when I boarded in Georgetown. He is a wonderful trainer to work with.

Are you actually stabled in Lex or one of the other towns?

List of trainers on KHJA site. http://www.khja.org/trainers.html

Elaine Schott was the UK Eq Team coach when I was there. I thought she was good, and was willing to work with the horse you had. My only experience with her was with UKET, though. I took lessons from a different trainer with my own horse where he was boarded.

fleur de duc
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:14 PM
thank you all! I just had my pm box filled with contact info in addition to here.

I am actually in Lexington, on North Yarnalton. Its about 5min from both the Horse Park and Masterson Station.

SmplySweet1021
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
Craig Shegog

http://craigshegog.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

He is really a super trainer, wonderful rider, sincerely honest and most importantly, my horses love him. He always shows up on time, gets the job done and has helped me immensely with my riding and the condition of my horses.

His phone number is on his website.

He trained with some of the best and it shows.

3rd Craig. Several of my friends take lessons with him and cannot say enough good things about him. They are upper level eventers and he has been great with them.