PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever do a centered riding clinic with Judith Cross-Strehlke?

vxf111
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:54 PM
Anyone ever do a centered riding clinic with Judith Cross-Strehlke? A friend audited one and was impressed. I have been trying to find some background on the clinician, I see websites listing her as a centered riding instructor but I can't seem to find any description of what riding she's done or her other qualifications. The clinic ain't cheap... my friend REALLY wants to go, I am trying to figure out if its worth it...

vxf111
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:33 PM
Nobody? She's from Maine??

REH
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:43 PM
One of my best friends rides and is in Maine. I'll send this to her and see if she has any 411.

saje
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
I worked for her long ago. She learned from Sally Swift herself, and I believe was one of Sally's first associate instructors. Judy used to be a very good teacher, but as I said this was a long time ago, like mid to late '80s.

I don't believe she's ever done much competition wise, at least not on the national scene. When I worked there we went to local dressage and event things, and she was very involved with hippotherapy.

All that's probably not a lot of help as it's so old, but I guess it's better than nothing :)

vxf111
Nov. 17, 2010, 03:59 PM
This is helpful, thanks guys. My friend is *smitten* with centered riding all of a sudden and was pretty gung ho about the clinic. I was just a little sticker shocked ($300 for 1 day, riding for 1 hour and ground/body work in addition, plus a ship in fee) and wanted to make sure the clinician was someone really experienced for that price.

So... now someone ELSE gets to tell me "stop hunching and shoulders back." Which I already know ;) it's one thing to know it and another thing to make the body listen ;);) Maybe I'll audit first and see how it goes and reserve riding for next time.

saje
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
The body awareness stuff is great, truly. It can get a little woo-woo at times, but it can be a fabulous learning tool. I still bring out bits and pieces of it, especially when I'm tense and crabby and am feeling like I *have* to ride. It's centering in a lot of ways :)

The only caveat I have is that it's easy to get TOO soft and floppy, and become ineffective up there. There are times when you actually do need tension and torque :p At the height of its popularity I saw an awful lot of bobble heads and flapping ankles, and horses going happily enough but not really connected or going anywhere.

Judy used to run Pleasant River Pack Trips too, I wonder if they still do that?

REH
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:21 PM
Judy used to run Pleasant River Pack Trips too, I wonder if they still do that?

Sweet. V, I say you skip the clinic and we book a pack trip--probably more fun :winkgrin:

vxf111
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:29 PM
Sweet. V, I say you skip the clinic and we book a pack trip--probably more fun :winkgrin:

That does sound like fun!

saje
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:41 PM
http://www.mainetrailrides.com/cr_inst_1.html

Here's her website, if you haven't come across it already. WARNING - bad music and I can't find an off button.

She appears to have "gotten religion" since I knew her, but it looks like they still do the pack trips. Katahdin Iron Works is cool :) Also, FWIW, that Palomino was like 10 yrs old when I worked there...

She was sort of an odd duck, but absolutely dedicated to her horses and a good teacher. I think it's definitely be worth an audit at the very least.

And then you must report back, of course!

vxf111
Dec. 20, 2010, 01:43 PM
The report is not positive, so let's just say I am glad I audited and didn't ride :(