PDA

View Full Version : Vet check questions

horsemom17
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:10 PM
It's been years since I have bought a horse. So, I have a few questions on vet checks and knew all the knowledgable COTH'rs could help me out! :winkgrin:

I am interested in a young WB mare (just turned 5). I have been riding her for about 2 months and we seem to be a good fit so far. She seems to trip or stumble at least once or twice everytime I ride her. I realize she is young. But reading on here (and other parts of the internet) has me concerned with EPM in the back of my mind. She does seem a little unbalanced when I pick up her feet to pick them. But not bad. I pick up her front legs and stretch her out after I tighten her girth and she seems to be fine with that.

However saying all this, the farrier is coming Friday, as she is due. So I could be totally be paranoid........

I guess my question is, it seems there is about 5 different tests for EPM and I wonder which is the most accurate? I am going to be doing x-rays and the whole nine yards. But I'd like to cover whatever I can. Any other tests or things I should add?
She is a great mover, jumps anything I have pointed her at so far and has a VERY good brain. Seems very calm for a 5 yr old.

Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

flyracing
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:40 PM
That doesn't sound like EPM at all. But, make sure the vet does a basic neuro exam as part of the ppe. If you want you can do a blood test to see if the horse has been exposed (a negative rules out all suspicion. What state is the horse in?). Other tests are available The owner probably wouldn't allow a spinal tap, but I guess you could ask. I would want a positive elisa for the s1 antibodies at 1:14 dilution or clinical neuro abnomality (tripping doesn't count) before agreeing to such a test if it were my horse and he had no symptoms of epm.

If you are using a good vet hospital they should have a good farrier on hand (or call) to help evaluate the feet which most often explains cases of tripping and stumbling. Since you have already been riding the horse for 2 months maybe you can ask to use a different farrier who can address an issues and see if the problem is solved?

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
Not to hijack the thread totally, but regarding other questions to ask a vet...
what does it mean if a horse is always standing with one of its hind legs/hooves cocked. Mean anything? I'm not out to buy just yet, but am making observations and trying to learn more about random stuff I see...

horsemom17
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:59 PM
That doesn't sound like EPM at all. But, make sure the vet does a basic neuro exam as part of the ppe. If you want you can do a blood test to see if the horse has been exposed (a negative rules out all suspicion. What state is the horse in?). Other tests are available The owner probably wouldn't allow a spinal tap, but I guess you could ask. I would want a positive elisa for the s1 antibodies at 1:14 dilution or clinical neuro abnomality (tripping doesn't count) before agreeing to such a test if it were my horse and he had no symptoms of epm.

I totally understand and I don't think anyone is being dishonest. I'm just probably paranoid and have never had such a young horse. However I think she's fantastic. And she is way more than I have ever paid for a horse (almost mid five figures) and would like to rule things out before hand. I understand anything could happen afterward. But just want to be on the safe side.

If you are using a good vet hospital they should have a good farrier on hand (or call) to help evaluate the feet which most often explains cases of tripping and stumbling. Since you have already been riding the horse for 2 months maybe you can ask to use a different farrier who can address an issues and see if the problem is solved?

I think they aren't exactly thrilled with the current farrier and looking for a new one. So this may solve everything! Thanks!