PDA

View Full Version : pro's/bnt showing your horse and height issues

my_doran
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
sorry everyone but i have another question concerning pro's/showing/height issues.

update then question.
i had my first training session with a pro today.would like to keep him as my main trainer/coach.everything went great!horse had some issues here and there, but was a good boy overall considering it was first time meet and greet...lol.now in the future when we get into show ring(im talking a 3 + yrs,hes only 3)i would like pro to show my gelding in some classes(on top of my own classes),but he is atleast 6ft tall and my horse is just about 16.h.when he finally mounted up there, he was quite over sized for doran(my horse).mind you my horse has lots of growing to do still ,but find doran wll be still too short for trainer to show him in a few classes for me when it gets to that point.so finally my question is when you are looking for pro to show your horse in certain classes u/s or o/f do you make sure there is a even horse/rider ratio,just like if you were when you were matching buyer/horse or student/horse for a examples.does it really matter?i know this is very early to be thinking about this,but i kinda person that would like to know her facts/info straight ahead of time.so just bear with me.

meupatdoes
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
I don't think it matters.

Maybe I am biased because I am 6' tall and have 16h horses, but for a much better example, Archie Cox is quite tall and I remember watching him do quite nicely on a little chestnut mare at Devon a couple years ago.

Pirateer
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:47 PM
For some reason I always like a pro that is a hair too big to be on my horse...

It just makes them look easier/better mannered/something in my mind. Its an image thing that probably makes sense only in my head.

MHM
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:55 PM
I don't think it matters. Archie Cox, Charlie Jayne, Russell Frey, Rodrigo Pessoa, among others- all pretty tall and pretty successful on different horses. ;)

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
Trainers are so incredibly balanced that a bit of height won't throw the horse off at all. As for what the judges will think a)who cares if it's just to get the horse going well for you and b) judges don't really care

Pick the trainer that gets the horse going the best! My 16.1h scrawny beast looks like a pony with his pro, but she gets him going GREAT!

dags
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:56 PM
I think fence height comes into play eventually and also your horse's build (I know, I know Charlie Jayne, Athena, Giant Fences, etc. This is just my story). My TB campaigned the 2nd Years with a very tall man, who I adore as a rider, but he was 16.5/8h and had those lovely refined TB legs. They did great together, but I think in the long run it wore him down faster.

We had other women and smaller men on him and I believe he went lighter and softer with them. Not a huge difference, more just a perception of the impression. I guess I'm a fan of matching horse/rider types in the hunter ring. Less distraction.

Probably no problem through the Pregreen levels, but something to think about if you're setting up a full season of shows in the Greens or higher, especially if your horse is a bit light-boned.

Canaqua
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm 5'10" myself and ride a 16h TB. Your trainer only has 2" on me and I think we look fine ;).

fordtraktor
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
I do kind of think it's funny that we are now so skewed toward huge horses that we think a horse that is "only 16h" might not be able to carry a 6' tall person. Bizarre!

Your horse will be fine unless the rider is built like a sumo wrestler. Not that long ago, 16.2 was a BIG horse.

EmJ628
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
agree with all the PP's that height probably does not matter that much... but another option to think of, trainer may have a very talented (and hopefully smaller stature) Junior or working student in 3 years who would be able to show him, if that is an option you would consider

FineAlready
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:33 PM
I don't worry about height so much from a visual standpoint. My horse is 15.3 and my trainer is probably 5'9" or so - she looks a little tall on him, but not too bad for a pro-to-horse ratio.

I worry more about weight and the type of ride given to my horse. My 5'9" trainer frankly probably weighs around the same or even less than I do (I am 5'6" and fluctuate between 125 and 130 lbs.). I would feel uncomfortable having a tall, presumably heavier man riding my small, light framed horse. Maybe it's because he had a soft tissue injury in his past, but it just isn't something I think I would do.