PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Big Eq...

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Big eq has been a hot topic lately, so I thought you all might enjoy this old article. NY magazine coverage of the '81 Maclay finals. Great read!

http://books.google.com/books?id=HeYCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=riding+high+new+york+magazine+december+1981&source=bl&ots=Znd-TkyW8V&sig=bXywN3zSrBNDEKykM0fEv2zmero&hl=en&ei=zynjTOfRDsGBlAey-tWzDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=riding%20high%20new%20york%20magazine%20december %201981&f=false

mroades
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
wow, funny how things haven't changed that much, except the amount of zeros

MHM
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:40 PM
Wow. Major blast from the past!

Thanks for posting it.

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:41 PM
wow, funny how things haven't changed that much, except the amount of zeros

And the horses! I got a kick out of Susanna Schroer's quote where she complained that her horse "just wasn't a thoroughbred."

MHM
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
And the horses! I got a kick out of Susanna Schroer's quote where she complained that her horse "just wasn't a thoroughbred."

Me, too! :lol:

Funnily enough, I took care of that same horse later in her career. That was a long time ago. :eek:

Noctis
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:47 PM
That was so cool to read! Thanks for sharing!

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:09 PM
My pleasure! Glad you guys got to enjoy it, too.

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
Me, too! :lol:

Funnily enough, I took care of that same horse later in her career. That was a long time ago. :eek:

Wow! So what kind of horse was she?!

MHM
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:28 PM
Wow! So what kind of horse was she?!

You know, it's so long ago now, I don't remember. She was a little black mare, only 15.1 or 15.2 at the most, and she was doing the childrens hunters with a new rider by the time I knew her. Her barn name was Rabbit, because her ears were not small. :lol:

She and Susie Schroer had been featured in Practical Horseman by that time, so I felt like I knew a famous horse. When I go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving, maybe I'll see if I can find that old magazine. :)

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
You know, it's so long ago now, I don't remember. She was a little black mare, only 15.1 or 15.2 at the most, and she was doing the childrens hunters with a new rider by the time I knew her. Her barn name was Rabbit, because her ears were not small. :lol:

She and Susie Schroer had been featured in Practical Horseman by that time, so I felt like I knew a famous horse. When I go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving, maybe I'll see if I can find that old magazine. :)

If you can find it I'd love to know :)

Pirateer
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
The best part is noting that Barney Ward was allowed at shows back then...ha!

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:38 PM

You're right! I recently read that book about the Horse Murders. So sad.

MHM
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:45 PM

I believe they bred ponies at Susie's family's farm, so I almost think the mare might have been an intended large pony that grew too big, which was how they came across her.

I won't swear to it after 30 years, though. ;)

JAMO
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
Ha! That's really funny if true, MHM.

PonyLady29
Nov. 17, 2010, 12:23 AM
Loved the article! also funny that Paul was Lisa Castleuci (sp?)s trainer funny how fast the greats of that time were turned into scum of our time!

Mayaty02
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:28 AM
Oh that's awesome! I adolized Susie and Scarborough Fayre...she was a fancy little thing! Great article, brings me back :)

Mara
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
So did Lisa Castellucci quit after that? Her quotes in the article definitely made it seem as though she'd had it with the show scene.

Also worth noting is the George Morris of yesteryear - compared to then, he's definitely a "kinder, gentler George." I mean, throwing dirt in a clinic rider's face to make her stop smiling?

sopha
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:06 AM
Manes ($12) and tails ($10) Wow.

M. O'Connor
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:16 AM
I loved seeing so many familiar names, complete with quotations.

Lisa Tarnopol (now married to Mario Deslauriers) was at that stage riding at Hunterdon, but she started riding at Swan Creek Farm (Alvin Topping), and continued with Robert Hoskins before moving on to Hunterdon.

Jenno Topping began riding at Topping Riding Club with Anne Aspinal and was also coached quite a bit by Robert (who taught at Toppings several days a week) before moving on to Hunterdon just prior to GM deciding to concentrate on jumpers only, after which Frank Madden and Bill Cooney formed Beacon Hill.

Diva98
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:25 AM
That was a great read! I only wish they covered horse sports like this now. For a writer who I assume did not cover equestrian sports often, the author did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

findeight
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:45 AM
Manes ($12) and tails ($10) Wow.

We were in the middle of a mega bad economic climate at that time-interest rates were double digit. Somebody else can look it up but the minimum wage was probably around 3.50 an hour.

It was expensive in 1981 just like it is today.

arktos19
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
We were in the middle of a mega bad economic climate at that time-interest rates were double digit. Somebody else can look it up but the minimum wage was probably around 3.50 an hour.

It was expensive in 1981 just like it is today.

Miniumum wage went to $3.35/hour 1/1/81, and stayed at that level through 1985, which I can tell you from experience ;)

ETA - so whatever happened to Lisa Castellucci? And Susanna Schroer? I remember reading that PH feature on her and Scarborough Fayre as well....

anonymoustip
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
That was a great read! I only wish they covered horse sports like this now. For a writer who I assume did not cover equestrian sports often, the author did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking the same thing! It's tough to write (or describe) riding and competing, let alone for someone who may not do it on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing. Really entertained me during my lunch hour!

MHM
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
And Susanna Schroer? I remember reading that PH feature on her and Scarborough Fayre as well....

She's been a West Coast-er for years. Last I knew, she had been working with Dick Carvin/Francie Steinwedell-Carvin for a long time.

sopha
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yes I too remember the early 1980's. I wasn't braiding then (only for myself) I think it is almost more interesting that board and lessons were $1500 per month then at a top show barn, it always has been expensive.

The author of that article had children that rode at Topping Riding Club.

Lisa C has posted on this BB in the past. She is living in NY, IIRC.

MHM
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:35 PM
The author of that article had children that rode at Topping Riding Club.

Ahh. Now it makes more sense. :yes:

I also liked the part about the family who came in from the Mid-West to observe, so their daughter would be ready to take the show world by storm the following year. Her name was completely unfamiliar to me- did anybody else ever hear of her?

JAMO
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
I think it is almost more interesting that board and lessons were $1500 per month then at a top show barn, it always has been expensive.

I too was struck by that. I think $1500 in '81 dollars is more than $3k today.

Mara
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:03 PM
Ahh. Now it makes more sense. :yes:

I also liked the part about the family who came in from the Mid-West to observe, so their daughter would be ready to take the show world by storm the following year. Her name was completely unfamiliar to me- did anybody else ever hear of her?

She was seventeen at the time - so she'd only have had one stab at the Maclay.

At least now I know who it's named for. I'd often wondered but never took the time to look it up.

MHM
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:09 PM
She was seventeen at the time - so she'd only have had one stab at the Maclay.

Oh, I know. I just wondered if anybody from her own area (Chicago) might remember her.

kaluha2
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
Well, I'm an old Chicago girl. I barely remember Robin but I do remember John Garvey. More than that I'm at a loss. That's going back quite a few moons ago. LOL! It's a good day if I remember to put on a bra.

Anyway, thanks so much for posting the article and starting this thread. It is always good to see the old days again.

BAC
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:24 PM

I can remember when he was riding at shows! Showing my age here.

BAC
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:44 PM

The sports pages of the Sunday edition of the New York Times used to have a "Horse Show News" section, as well as the results of horse shows in the New York metro region. I used to clip out the article every week and put it in a scrapbook, wish I still had them.

HorseLuvr
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:28 PM
Great Article and so well written! A great read. I like how the riders truely expressed themselves also when interviewed.

Peggy
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
You're right! I recently read that book about the Horse Murders. So sad.Three people mentioned in the article were involved in those: Ward, Valliere, and Garvey.

Thanks for posting that, BTW.

JAMO
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:14 PM
Three people mentioned in the article were involved in those: Ward, Valliere, and Garvey.

Thanks for posting that, BTW.

Wasn't it eerie to read the article and get a snapshot of that moment in time, and contrast it to what we know now?

mooonie
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:41 PM
Bad news MHM

Alan Levinson (the family from Chicago) was implicated in the Ken Englade book too. Poor Rainman:cry:

Peggy
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
Wasn't it eerie to read the article and get a snapshot of that moment in time, and contrast it to what we know now?Very much so. Also fascinating to think about the number of people mentioned in the article that were either so well known that I remember them or still around in the horse world today.

MHM
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:45 PM
Bad news MHM

Alan Levinson (the family from Chicago) was implicated in the Ken Englade book too. Poor Rainman:cry:

Thanks.

I read the book years ago, but I didn't remember that name. Oy.

That article is even more interesting when you apply 20/20 hindsight.

It is amazing that so many of the people mentioned are still around after all this time.

MHM
Nov. 29, 2010, 06:49 AM

Somewhat remarkably, I was able to find that Practical Horseman magazine at my mother's house over the weekend!

The article, from the spring of '82, did not specifically say what breed Scarborough Fayre was, although there was a mention that riding ponies had not prepared Susie for working with "a green thoroughbred." That seems a little contradictory to Susie's quote in the NY magazine piece linked in the OP, so I don't know what to make of that.

To recap the PH article, in the fall of '77, Susie was almost 14, and they were shopping for a large pony prospect on a $5,000 budget. They went to look at ponies at a farm in Virginia owned by the DePauls(?), who bred nice ponies.

They didn't find the right pony, partly because Susie had gotten a little too tall for many of the large pony prospects, so the DePauls suggested Susie look at this small horse they had on hand. They tried the mare, liked her, and bought her on the spot for $5,000, even though she was a green three year old, and they hadn't looked at any other horses, only ponies.

So they took the horse home to their farm in New York, took her to their trainer once a week for lessons, then just did flatwork for the winter when their trainer was away in Florida. In the spring, they started jumping again, took her to a few shows in the pre-greens, then stepped right into the junior hunter division!

That year, they qualified and went to Indoors for both the junior hunters and equitation, but the horse was a little green there. The following year, they qualified again and went back to Indoors and won the junior hunter stake class at Harrisburg, with the horse Susie had bought for $5,000 and brought along herself. :eek:

It was a great article and a pretty amazing story.

I have a giant stack of those old PH magazines there, but I didn't get to go through them all. There was one from '83 about the influx of the European warmblood to the American show ring, and a classic one by Victor Hugo-Vidal, with extensive pictures showing correct hunter form over jumps.

I have a feeling my relatives will barely see me at Christmas, as I'll be busy perusing all those old articles. :lol:

Lexus
Nov. 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
Wow!! Great Story about Susie!!!

Wish I could go with you and read all your old magazines!

JAMO
Nov. 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
Somewhat remarkably, I was able to find that Practical Horseman magazine at my mother's house over the weekend!
. :lol:

Thanks so much for digging it up and sharing it! Looking forward to hearing what else you find after Xmas ;)

jeta
Nov. 29, 2010, 10:42 AM
It was a great article and a pretty amazing story.

I have a giant stack of those old PH magazines there, but I didn't get to go through them all.

I just pulled out my copy and reread the same article....It is the April '82 issue.....Quite an inspiring story......

It might sound creepy that I have that one issue handy, but I had my 2 seconds of fame in the Jumping Clinic of that issue.....Please, please, if you are going to recycle that issue at some point, please PM me....I wasn't very forward thinking in my youth and only have the one copy....

MHM
Nov. 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
Jeta, if I haven't recycled them in 30 years, I'm not likely to start now! :lol:

What number was your picture? I'll have to look at it the next time. :)

It was also a trip down memory lane to see the ads in the old magazines. The Saddler- I shopped there! A Prestwick saddle- I had one!

Too funny.

jeta
Nov. 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
Jeta, if I haven't recycled them in 30 years, I'm not likely to start now! :lol:

What number was your picture? I'll have to look at it the next time. :)

I just thought I would throw that out there in case you were in purge mode at some point:winkgrin:....I had to clean out my mom's house last year and found all my old issues too....Memory lane indeed!

I was rider #2....My good friend and instructor had sent in my pic...I can't remember if she mentioned to me that she had, but I was quite surprised when it appeared in print.....