PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ideas for Trainer and BO

indygirl2560
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
I know there's still over a month until Christmas but I still have no idea what to get my trainer and the BO. Last year, I was new to the barn and gave my trainer then, (also the BO), a Starbucks gift card since I didn't know her well. I've been training with my new trainer, (the upper level one at the same barn), for about 6 months and she's still a tough person, at least for me, to buy for. I don't have a lot of money to spend, (I'd like to keep it under $50 for each person), and I need good gift ideas! So what are you getting your h/j trainer and BO for Christmas this year?

myalter1
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm making a jump for mine...

mand_asbfan
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
I like to give cash or a horsey gift card - in the past I've worked with the other customers to try to encourage them to give cash for Christmas because I've found most horse trainers don't have a large bank account and have a hard time buying some of the more expensive items (like one year my trainer got enough from her customers to purchase most of her custom made suit and another year the money went towards new stall curtains). My trainer loved it - all of the food baskets and body care sets were nice but not necessarily "needed" (especially the food! :D)

red mares
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:15 PM
FRUITCAKE!*

The underage grooms got non-alcoholic cookies + a tip.

* This year's batch has been marinating since September.

LenaMA
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
Massage gift certificates. I think every trainer I know could use "me" time.

mpsbarnmanager
Nov. 16, 2010, 03:00 PM
Oohh great thread! As a BM, one of the nicest things you can do is (assuming you are on full board) is to clean your own stall once in a while on the days you have time. ( As long as you are reasonable and don't throw away more shavings than necessary and don't put 16 wheelbarrows of shaving back in it!). Its thoughtful, cheap and fairly easy, although not particularly Christmasey. That would sure float my boat though. Not that I expect my boarders to do this (they Don't). Also, chocolate, a tack store or dover gift card, starbucks is good too, a new set of polos or a new halter or something like that would be nice too. I would say fiftly dollars is a generous gift!

baldfaceboyz
Nov. 16, 2010, 03:14 PM
Best things I get are WARM ! IE winter gloves, smart wool socks, last year got a nice down vest from client w monogram, love the massage idea, chocolate, alcohol and money are always good as are saddle shop gift certificates, a nicely framed pic of student and horse competing...hope my clients read this thread !

PinkPonies
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
I think restaurant gift certificates are always appreciated. I did a wine of the month club once which went over well. Sometimes you can overhear or see something they need - like I got my trainer a nice pair of rubber reins - the same brand she had, but they were falling apart. So that was appreciated and used.

Love the massage idea or cold weather items like gloves! Who can't use an extra pair of winter riding gloves or warm socks?

You can also get photos printed on canvas and they look really nice - Maybe a candid shot of their horse or a nice show photo. They are a bit over $50, but a cool gift - http://www.shutterfly.com/home-decor/canvas-wall-art?c=10196&p=2864

Chuckles2
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:14 PM
I once got the BO a photo of their horse blown up into canvas art. It looked really great and they appreciated it. Hodges Badge does them and I think you can order online.

norcalammie
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
There is a company here that does restaurant gift cards that are good at a number of restaurants and can be used over and over again. You pay for one meal and the second is free. So got these gift cards for barn owner and trainer. Not sure if they are in all areas but go to www.passportdining.com and see.

SAcres
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
As a BO the most appreciated gifts are the most pratical ones. Personally I prefer cash or gift cards to Smartpak, Dover, or any of the local tack shops. Things like chocolates, giftcards for massages, and resturant gift cards are nice, but honestly, for me, the gift cards wouldn't get used and I don't need the extra calories from chocolates. :winkgrin: Halters are usually a bad idea to get a BO or trainer, chances are they have 50 lying around in the tack room, car, and even house. So unless you're planning on spending big bucks for a leather halter with nameplate, I would pass.
Anything pratical you can use around the barn is also good. Extra pitchforks, buckets, etc. Warm clothing is a great gift too if you have correct sizes. ;)

BAC
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
Haven't even thought about it, although gift cards for restaurants and massages are out, she never has the time. Frequently a group of us pool our money and buy a big gift, tack trunk, curtains for the tack stall, a high end show bridle for her new jumper.

Aerial
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:41 PM
I was thinking about gettting my trainer a horsehair bracelet made from her hunter's tailhair. I'm just worried that she's not going to be really happy about some hair out of his tail. He has a really thick tail and if I plucked hair out of various places I don't think you would be able to notice, but idk. What do you all think??

EquestrianRunner
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:49 PM
What I've gotten my trainer in the past:

Ariat Lined Tall boots--she is ALWAYS cold (okay--Im jumping into the hunter/jumper forum from the Foxhunter/eventer/dressage land)

Mountain Horse Snow/Riding Pants (they look like snow pants but are riding pants) got her that one year, she loved them so much she asked for them for her bday and the following xmass

a "I'll groom for you for however long you need a groom" coupon. that she loved! Along with "I'll braid your horse" "Clip your horse" "Load up trailer for hunting/show" coupons. Those were educational for me, and she loved them bc she didnt have to do it

scrapbook + money

we would make dinner for her all the time when we had left overs, so we gave her coupons for her fav homemade dinners

Barn Manager:

Cash...$50

cookies and money

Barn Owner:

Barn shaped Cookie Jar

Book of Amazing Barns (i dont remember if thats the actual name but its a book of awesome barns)

Painting of his horses in the field that I did

BAC
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:50 PM
I was thinking about gettting my trainer a horsehair bracelet made from her hunter's tailhair. I'm just worried that she's not going to be really happy about some hair out of his tail. He has a really thick tail and if I plucked hair out of various places I don't think you would be able to notice, but idk. What do you all think??

I think that is a great gift, but before you take any hair be sure to go to some of the websites (www.twistedtails.com (http://www.twistedtails.com)) and read the directions, they are very specific about how much hair they need, how to remove it, wash it and ship it, etc. Its not just a few strands to be pulled out. And if you want it for Christmas you need to do it soon, it can take several weeks or more.

To the MAX
Nov. 16, 2010, 05:10 PM
Visa giftcard. Can't go wrong, he/she can use it anywhere!

Hunter/JumperMom
Nov. 16, 2010, 05:54 PM

I could be wrong, but isnt that something you do when the horse passes?

KitCat
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
In the past I've done: tin of homemade goodies (x2), Starbucks gift card, handmade saddle pad with trainer's initials (she kept saying how much she loved the one I made for myself).

This year, I might try a collage/scrapbook if I can get enough photos taken at Turkey Day and in the two days I'll be home before X-Mas. If not, something else handmade. That and a gift card to our local tack shop and some more of my homemade goodies. (is it too obvious that I really owe her this year? :D:lol: )

Edit: I agree with H/Jmom. Horse-hair stuff is more of a remembrance thing.

dogbluehorse
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:47 PM
When flying the other day found heated vest (rechargeable) in sky mall magazine, got me thinking that heated paddock boots (rechargeable) would be a nifty invention, so I googled "heated paddock boots" and didn't find those exactly, but found heated (rechargeable) insoles, which seems like pretty much the same thing. They were closer to $100, but maybe you could find someone else to split it with you? Personally I find that I can get most of my body parts warm enough when riding, but feet are tough, in winter in Boston, especially when trail riding for example.
http://www.verseo.com/thermosoles.html?gclid=CIPx0fbvoqUCFctL5QodWWq4Gg

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
I am kicking myself b/c TOTD had this adorable set of crops for sale in a cute container and I thought it would be a fun gift for a trainer to use for the schoolies. All the crops were different bright colors that wouldn't walk away or get lost easily. Seems like we are always looking around for them! But I forgot to buy it :(

mortebella
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
Glad to hear dover/smartpak etc. gift cards are appreciated; what I got my trainer last year, and I figure why tinker with success? LOL

lucyeq
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:59 PM
I saw an ad for this website in a magazine the other day:

http://www.horsebaskets.com/

I think they're really cute! Maybe they even have some holiday themed ones?

islndgirl
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm getting my trainer this:

http://www.backinthesaddle.com/itemdy00.asp?ID=6,390&GEN1=Books%2c+DVDs+%26+CDs&T1=B82025&dispRow=0&srccode=

We are always discussing our home decorating plans and ideas when we finish my lesson. I think she will like it :)

Aerial
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:22 PM
I could be wrong, but isnt that something you do when the horse passes?

I'm not sure lol. I know I would love to have one of my non-deceased pony's hair lol but yeah definitely more standard for when they pass. I just don't know :confused: Think I may just stick with the old standby giftcard l

billiebob
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:36 PM
Speaking as an instructor/BM I like receiving gift cards from either Starbucks or tack shops. I try to give my boss/BO and the barn kiddies useful presents like gloves, warm socks, under armour.....and I make everyone cookie baskets.

naters
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:20 AM
If I were going to get a horse-hair bracelet done, I think (well, I know) I would want it done BEFORE the horse died, or was in bad shape, or....

I think horse hair from a living horse is a lot more cheerful :) My horse hair bracelet from my guy that passed away sits in my dresser, because every time I see it I am reminded that my boy is gone....

Just my two cents...

Equilibrium
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:14 AM
Was thinking of getting my trainer a leather halter with his initials on the plate. He has a mostly young horse/sale yard so one with a particular horse's name on it is not a great idea. But this way he would always have a nice one for going to shows.

Is this a good gift idea or not?

Terri

JumpWithPanache
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:16 AM
I love the basket idea... thanks for the link!

naters
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
Was thinking of getting my trainer a leather halter with his initials on the plate. He has a mostly young horse/sale yard so one with a particular horse's name on it is not a great idea. But this way he would always have a nice one for going to shows.

Terri

Yes, or even the farm name on the plate :yes:

tasia
Nov. 17, 2010, 08:51 AM

Terri

Good idea. You could also just do his last name:)

Wizard of Oz's
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'm getting my coach a portrait of her three superstar horses together. I know another rider in the area who does really good ones for a decent price, and I figure it'll be great to put in the office. Though I usually do starbucks or other gift cards.

Sonoma City
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:57 AM
I always get them a few things, but I think the number one hit is always handmade angora socks (not made by me!). They're the warmest thing you can get, and being handmade, it's a little more thoughtful than just any old pair of socks. I get mine here: http://www.keldaby.com/home.html

I also usually throw in a nice piece of jewelry. Trainers are usually on a tight budget and don't have the extra money to buy themselves things they don't necessarily need, so I think it's nice to give them something like that to mix in with the practical gifts.

BAC
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:19 AM
If I were going to get a horse-hair bracelet done, I think (well, I know) I would want it done BEFORE the horse died, or was in bad shape, or....

I think horse hair from a living horse is a lot more cheerful :) My horse hair bracelet from my guy that passed away sits in my dresser, because every time I see it I am reminded that my boy is gone....

Just my two cents...

I agree. I still have tail hair saved from more than 3 years ago, still haven't been able to bring myself to have it made into a bracelet. If only I had done it while he was still alive.

Keep1Belle
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:39 AM
I am kicking myself b/c TOTD had this adorable set of crops for sale in a cute container and I thought it would be a fun gift for a trainer to use for the schoolies. All the crops were different bright colors that wouldn't walk away or get lost easily. Seems like we are always looking around for them! But I forgot to buy it :(

Me too! I was going to give them to my lesson students who dont have horses. along with someother small gift like an ornament.'

As far as trainer good pair of gloves, wine, gift certificates. maybe a bunch of you at the barn can chip in and get a much needed barn item or item that would make her life easier.

suniday
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:39 AM
I did a gift subscription to COTH magazine one year for my trainer. She loved it!

Equilibrium
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate that! I think the last name on the plate will be ideal.

Terri

Individualblue07
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:04 AM
check out this website. :) They make super cute little jumps that can even be customized with your trainers name or your barn logo. I'm getting one made up with our logo as a present for my trainer :D They turn out to be a super cute way to hold business cards!

www.modelhorsejumps.com

two sticks
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
In the past I have ordered a photo of trainer showing from earlier in the year and had it framed. It has always been a big hit as trainer loves pictures for the office but rarely buys them herself.

Barn shoots are also really fun gifts if you can get a few people in on it.

naters
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:43 PM
I agree. I still have tail hair saved from more than 3 years ago, still haven't been able to bring myself to have it made into a bracelet. If only I had done it while he was still alive.

I also have this problem, I have tail hair from my mother's horse who passed at age 29 last year.... we cant bear to send it off.... or look at it... would have been better to do when he was alive ..

winfieldfarm
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'm a trainer and barn owner with a small lesson program. I know the kids want to get me gifts at Christmas but I don't like them spending money on me so....here is the standard list of barn must haves that we can never have enough of.

Scissors, electrical and duct tape, zip ties, hair brushes for manes and tails, sweat socks for tails, mane and tail rubber bands, clipper blades, gallon size grooming products like Show Sheen and liniment, staples for the horse show staple gun, jars of molasses for the medicine cabinet, laundry soap for the washer, double ended snaps, hoof picks, hoof clear and hoof black.

the point is, we use these constantly and many of them require a trip to a store other than the tack shop. Most of them are cheap cheap cheap items that the parents can allow the kids to buy with their own money, thus making them much more prouder of the gift as they know first hand it will get used. This saves me big time having to replenish the supply after show season and we are all set for next season. I think the thought is nice with other gifts but I am one practical girl. Most gifts I open with a smile and think "damn, I wish they would have gotten me something more useful".

and not to sound ungrateful, but if I had a nickel for every ugly hat, coffee mug ( i don't drink coffee), stupid t shirt and tacky piece of horse motif chochkie I have recieved over the years, I could hit you on the head with a tail sock full of those nickels! Gift cards are nice but someone has to replenish the tack box. I can't do that with an applebee's card!

billiebob
Nov. 18, 2010, 11:44 PM

Terri

Very nice idea! My boss's trainer got her a halter with the farm name on it one year. She loves it and it's nice that it's not specific to one horse.

Schune
Nov. 19, 2010, 01:22 PM
My trainer takes coffee addiction to a whole new level, so I initially was thinking about a $25 Starbucks gift card. Then I was dicking around on the internet and saw these:
http://www.exactadesigns.com/products/English_Stirrup_Leather_Key_Fob-499-0.html

They are so cute I may get one for her and the barn manager.

Taking it one step further, I also do a 'gift' for the whole barn. I bake up a HUGE batch of horse treats and place them all on 1 or 2 of the large tin cans that you find popcorn in at a lot of stores.

Place a bow on top and a card saying "To _____'s Boarders
From Lisa"

:)

Thoroughbred1201
Nov. 19, 2010, 03:52 PM
Something NOT horsey. My cousin is a professional pianist, and she get piano mugs, piano bookmark, posters, plaques, coasters, etc. More 'stuff'. To the point she can't stand it.

I also remember a trainer saying the same thing about horsey 'stuff'. Horse mugs (they probably have a cupboard full), etc. are a nice thought, but more 'stuff'.

Good handlotions are always appreciated and useful for that dry skin, warm (and cute) socks, fleece headbands to keep ears warm under a helmet. That kind of this doesn't cause clutter (from X number of clients/students/client parents) and are useful. Remember they are probably getting something from MANY people.

Loved the idea of grooming coupons, etc.

I made bridle bags for storage one year, and that was appreciated (and requested when we were dicussing Christmas one year).

So, maybe ask?

mand_asbfan
Nov. 19, 2010, 04:04 PM
Reading this thread has got me to thinking, how much do you spend on your trainer/BO? In the past I've been with a trainer and had my horse in training at least half-time so spent $40-$50 on my trainer and $20 on the two girls that help around the barn/at shows. I've since moved to a boarding barn and am taking lessons with the trainer but I don't have my horse in training and I'm wondering what I should spend...

scheherazadetbmare
Nov. 19, 2010, 04:05 PM
Money is never gauche. If every boarder or lesson student gave $20 or more, the BO/trainer could buy whatever he/she wants or needs. Like feed and hay and gas/diesel.

If you cannot afford to give $, clean the barn/feed/etc on a holiday or weekend. You can make horse shaped "coupons" which have a task written on them, e.g., "redeem for one day of feeding horses" or "redeem for one day of cleaning stalls."

Cleaning stalls in a medium sized barn is worth a lot of $.

And btw, put an expiration date on the coupons. (I learned to do this when I gave some, uh, personal coupons to my boyfriend and then we broke up. He tried to redeem his coupons later, when i was dating someone else! :lol:)

GutsNGlory
Nov. 19, 2010, 04:25 PM
How crafty are you??

My DM used to do a really cool craft with us as kids that made wonderful Christmas gifts (even for non-horsey people).

We would collect old horse shoes and then buy the fake evergreen wire pieces (you can get these really cheap at thrift shops after Christmas), pieces of leather, cool buttons/charms/small knick-knacks. You can either use the old horse shoes as-is (I love the really old rusty ones!), or spray paint them silver. Then, wrap the evergreen pieces around and super-glue on the small knick-knacks (you can do "themes" with these - a bunch of teddy bear things, old western type pieces, little cooking figures, whatever fits the person's personality!). Use the top two nail holes to tie in a leather piece (you might want to super-glue it down from the knot to the end of the shoe) and viola! you have a cute, personalized gift that can be used many different ways (tree ornament, hung on door at house, hung on stall door, etc.).

JBCool
Nov. 19, 2010, 04:59 PM
I know the lady that runs Horse Baskets and I'm sure she'd be happy to work with you to customize a basket or even create a new one. She's fantastic!

I saw an ad for this website in a magazine the other day:

http://www.horsebaskets.com/

I think they're really cute! Maybe they even have some holiday themed ones?

4Hunters
Nov. 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
Perfect gift for riders and non-riders alike: an equestrian scented candle from Deux Chevaux (link below). They come in unique scents that really do smell like fresh cut grass, hay, apple, leather, etc. They burn for more than 60 hours, and the glass can be used for a variety of things once the candle is finished.

NYCGIRL
Dec. 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
Suggestions for trainer gifts would like to spend around $200.

PaintPony
Dec. 5, 2010, 05:18 PM
From a student last year I got this:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1647001&categoryId=cat180027
and this:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod260009&categoryId=cat190008

BEST GIFTS EVER! :)
Perfect for when I come home from the barn freezing.
In fact I just did come home from the barn freezing and am using them now. I love to get non-horsey thoughtful stuff like this!

Mayaty02
Dec. 5, 2010, 05:55 PM
From a student last year I got this:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1647001&categoryId=cat180027
and this:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod260009&categoryId=cat190008

BEST GIFTS EVER! :)
Perfect for when I come home from the barn freezing.
In fact I just did come home from the barn freezing and am using them now. I love to get non-horsey thoughtful stuff like this!

Oh I love those, and the cashmere hand warmers!!

xxreddxheaddxx
Dec. 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
One year we decorated my trainers entire barn for christmas- she LOVED it!!!!!! On each stall we put a red ribbon with the horse's name written in gold glitter and then did a bag of treats for every stall.

I've given gift cards, money etc.
To one trainer this year I am considering giving her one of those custom photo throws of a pic of her horse that died, and for another we are giving a really nice throw blanket, maybe some nice socks/scarf and pretty mugs with a russian tea mix in them.

MelantheLLC
Dec. 5, 2010, 06:50 PM
Somewhat off topic, but a couple of years ago I bought a cover for my grooming tote (the rectangular plastic kind) and had it personalized with my horse's name. Very convenient and nice-looking, in my choice of colors.

Several people, including trainer, have asked me where I got it and I can't remember or find one again--at least not with personalization option.

Does anyone know who has these?

giddybiddy
Dec. 5, 2010, 07:10 PM
I got my trainer a pair of EMU slippers this year...perfect for cold, tired feet!

NeedsAdvil
Dec. 5, 2010, 07:21 PM
I teach a few lessons every week, and I don't expect my students to spend as much as if I were a "trainer" and involved in their riding on more than a once a week basis. With that being said, I treasure the practical gifts. A Smartpak or Dick's Sporting goods giftcard would make my day! I need some new winter boots for teaching and some warm breeches and if each student just chipped in $10, I could pretty much get both things without having to dip into my very limited funds. I would also treasure some Smartwool socks, a nice pair of warm gloves, a scarf (I love to wear different ones all the time), or if they would just bring me a cup of coffee occasionally on a freezing morning I would be thrilled. I agree with the others, please no chotchkes, and for me NO FOOD. I don't really eat sweets or cookies, and end up taking them to my full time job for others to eat. Horse treats are always appreciated though!

Bit O Groby
Dec. 5, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have received some wonderful gifts - from wool socks to smart pak gift cards. Last year, it seemed every other client gave me wine. Guess they thought I needed it! (they were right) Least favorite --metal hair clips that looked like unicorns (yes, an 8 yr old picked them out), and I did wear them once.

AHorseSomeDay
Dec. 5, 2010, 08:09 PM
My trainer likes to feed the birds in her backyard so last year I bought her a 3 tiered goldfinch bird feeder and a package of nyer seeds. I also bought her a pinecone that was full of seeds. She was really happy with it. :)

naters
Dec. 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
Somewhat off topic, but a couple of years ago I bought a cover for my grooming tote (the rectangular plastic kind) and had it personalized with my horse's name. Very convenient and nice-looking, in my choice of colors.

Several people, including trainer, have asked me where I got it and I can't remember or find one again--at least not with personalization option.

Does anyone know who has these?

I've seen these, somewhere, but have no idea where.

I would love to get one though if anyone remembers where to buy them!

PaintPony
Dec. 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
Here you go: http://www.smartpakcanine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productClassId=5208

Smartpak has everything! :) (oh wait it says they are sold out)

Here's another one: http://www.horsetackinternational.com/groom-tote-cover.html

MelantheLLC
Dec. 6, 2010, 05:29 PM
LOL yeah and they're sold out! ;)

I think I originally got mine at either Dover or State Line, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. They were part of a whole line of boot and saddle cases and such that you could match and personalize.

tarheelmd07
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
My trainer is always losing her quarter sheet at shows or leaving it somewhere...and she has BIG horses and her quarter sheets never seem to be long enough...so for christmas I got her a pretty quarter sheet in her barn colors - long enough to look right on her big guys - and had her farm logo embroidered on one side, and her first initial/last name on the other. Hopefully now she'll be able to keep track of it!

I've seen these, somewhere, but have no idea where.

I would love to get one though if anyone remembers where to buy them!

like this?
http://www.coveryourtail.com/GroomingToteCover.html