PDA

View Full Version : Hunter trainers.

Deepinmanure
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
I am new to the hunter/jumper scene in Rochester. I have a coming 4 yr old WB gelding that I would like to sell as a hunter once he is trained. I am told by my trainer that he is an A hunter /jumper prospect. My current trainer is a wonderful dressage trainer in the area but she is not really interested in jumping.
Does anyone out there know of local hunter trainers that specialize in young hunters?? I am looking for quality,not quantity and someone who is patient and kind with their horses.
Not whip happy and aggressive.:eek:

findeight
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
Give you a bump on this.

Also, how far are you willing to go? Syracuse? Buffalo? Any chance you are willing to haul to a AA barn and have a reputable and experienced AA Hunter trainer who also judges give you an honest, impartial evaluation before you commit to training?

I mean, that evaluation will cost but can save alot of time and money if, in fact, it's not going to set the Hunter world on fire. That is something you cannot know unless you get somebody to make an experienced and educated guess at the wisdom of pointing him to the Hunters.

Jaideux
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure how their business is set up, but consider contacting Jaime and Becky Bates at Hasty Hills. I'm always pleased with the horses I've seen from them.

Deepinmanure
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:25 PM
Responding to Findeight-
He's already won in hunter confirmation classes in hand and ribbons in his first under saddle show. I have been told by top professionals that he is a really nice horse.(Toddd Karn for one)
My dilema is that I am out of the loop as far as hunter/jumper trainers go.Ask me who to bring a dressage horse to and I have all kinds of names!!!
Yes,I could take him to Buffalo which is only 45 minutes west of our farm.
I have worked with Hasty Hills befor and would like to try other hunter trainers.I just don't know any!!!I looked in the PHA year end results to see who was winning locally. People who are winning usually have good trainers.
I don't mind spending the money for a trainer if they are good and if they are able to "make" a horse.My horses safety when he is away from home is a big priority for me.Also if I am spending money my horse can't sit around while the trainer is away showing. My horse can sit around at home for nothng.
I'm really up in the air about what to do with him.Any names would be appreciated,thanks:)

Timex
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:24 PM
well, how far are you willing to go? 45 min, max? an hour? more?

Show_hunters
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:11 PM
If you would consider an out of state sales barn. Then you should call or email Chad Keemun www.CKsporthorses.com (located in The Plains, VA at Meadowville Farm) as a sales/training barn. Chad has many services that he can offer both you and your horse. Which can inculde further showing in a different region for indoors, if needed. Chad has many referances that are local to VA and through out the US and in Europe. I am sure that he would be delighted to help you in anyway, even if it's to assist you.

TwistofRed289
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:14 PM
I sent you a PM :)

STA
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
Send him to Todd Karn. He is great with young horses and dependable.

Timex
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:30 AM
Where is Todd these days, anyway?

MHM
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:45 AM
Where is Todd these days, anyway?

Still in the Syracuse area, I believe.

yadayada
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:44 AM
Amy Hughes might still be in the area. She had some nice young hunters. Tony Sgarlata is in Ithaca I believe, he also does a nice job of bringing along young horses. And then there's always Jen Alfano in Buffalo, but she's probably away 90% of the time showing.

Madaketmomma
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
sent you a pm!

Jaideux
Nov. 17, 2010, 12:47 PM
You also may get more suggestions if you change the thread title to include "Rochester" or "WNY" or "within 5 hours of WNY" or whatever :)

Deepinmanure
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful sugestions.I will check them out.!!! I really like this site because people are so positive.There are so many knowledgable horse people out there :winkgrin: