PDA

View Full Version : Stock Pins!

makeasplash
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:32 PM
This weekend at a horse show I got to wear my shad belly and break out a stock pin, but since I was 14 I have been using a pin that is more of a jewelry pin that says xoxoxo on it and is sterling silver.

Anyone else have and interesting pin that they use? I'll have to take a picture of pin I like it much better then the "traditional" ones but I like all types.

So lets see your gorgeous pins that rarely get to see the light of day!

justjumpit278
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
I personally still like the look of a traditional stock pin in a hunter class. I have two.. one is gold with a horseshoe in the middle with clear and ruby jewels in it and the other is just a plain hunting horn. I tend not to use them though because the show shirt I normally wear has two collars with one having my initials embroidered in it and the other has the Ariat symbol in jewels (its an Ariat shirt). If I can get a picture of them, I'll post the link! :)

shawneeAcres
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:21 AM
I always wear a stock pin with a choker, sorry call me old fashoined but you just aren't "dressed" without one!

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:13 AM
I always wear a stock pin with a choker, sorry call me old fashoined but you just aren't "dressed" without one!

Me,too!!

seeuatx
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Too many years spent in Pony Club for me,. I only have plain ones. I did splurge on a silver one with blue gems across it, but could never bring myself to use it at shows.

Also,thanks to pony club, I do not ever use pre-tied stocks. They drive me batty. Sadly, tying stocks is a something of a lost art. I remember in college, my first two years, there were only 3 of us in the entire equestrian program of 180 some people that knew how to tie them. My last two years, there were four of us.

makeasplash
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:57 AM
I used to fox hunt and my dad showed in the late 70s/early 80s so I was taught at a young age how to tie a stock properly, we actually got really heavy linen ones when we took a vacation to London. But I don't know I like my pins to have pizazz! If Tiffany made stock pin-esque piece I am sure I would be on top of it.

REH
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:46 AM
I used to fox hunt and my dad showed in the late 70s/early 80s so I was taught at a young age how to tie a stock properly, we actually got really heavy linen ones when we took a vacation to London. But I don't know I like my pins to have pizazz! If Tiffany made stock pin-esque piece I am sure I would be on top of it.

I think the XO pin she mentioned is--it sounds like the Paloma xo pin

http://www.westonjewelry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/w/m/wm5934i-Tiffany-Co-Paloma-Picasso-XO-brooch-pin.jpg

purplnurpl
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:50 AM
gosh that is cute though.

but I agree. Shadbelly is formal attire. Formal attire all the way around.
I too like a plainish pin. Mine is just a silver pin with small horse shoe on it.

No bling in the belt either. Even best is a belt that does not show....which means now low rise breeks.

Unprovoked92
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
I use a Scottish family crest (Gordon Clan) badge as my stock pin. Its pewter, just the right size and I think it looks awesome. It has a stag head on it with our clan motto "Bydand" which means "remaining".

http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clan_items/jewellery_accesories/AP-CT01.html

fair judy
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
i must have done too many years in appointments classes. :winkgrin: simple stock pin in gold. its not jewelry......

actually i believe there was an old tale that a stock tie and pin could double as a wrap for an injury to horse/rider in the hunt field, but i could be hallucinating on that one.

NEVER wear a pre-tied stock. ever.

Hinderella
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
Fair Judy, you're not hallucinating at all....that is indeed the original purpose of the stock tie and pin, and I have spoken to experienced hunt riders who have, in fact, used their stock ties and pins to create a bandage.

SidesaddleRider
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
i must have done too many years in appointments classes. :winkgrin: simple stock pin in gold. its not jewelry......

actually i believe there was an old tale that a stock tie and pin could double as a wrap for an injury to horse/rider in the hunt field, but i could be hallucinating on that one.

Yes, always a plain gold heavy duty pin for me. But I am a foxhunter first, and show rider second. ;)

I have had to use my stock tie as a bandage 3 different times for leg injuries on 3 different horses (not my own) while out hunting. This was during cubbing, when many take the "easy" road and only wear chokers or men's ties, and I was one of the only ones to always have a (albeit nicely colored/patterned) stock tie on that could be used. For that reason, I only buy heavy cotton four-fold stock ties, and never the silk ones--they just don't soak up the blood as well, nor provide consistent pressure! My husband also had to use his white stock during the regular season to bandage up the huntsman's horse (and then had his horse taken by the huntsman to use for the rest of the day while we took care of the horse, but that is a different story!).

makeasplash
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:43 PM
I think the XO pin she mentioned is--it sounds like the Paloma xo pin

http://www.westonjewelry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/w/m/wm5934i-Tiffany-Co-Paloma-Picasso-XO-brooch-pin.jpg

Mine is very similar, its alternating letter though and in silver. I love pretty looking pins as I know in a classic, honestly, for me, it's jewelry.

fair judy
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
ah..... glad to hear that my years of paying attention to the minutia of appointments were not in vain. i learned long ago that most of our old traditions are based in reality, thus i CLING to them!

i did a little bit of hunting long ago, on..... my show mare. my dad was whip for the former two rivers hunt. we had to bind a human injury once with a stock tie. it saved the guy's life.

barnbum81
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:40 PM

eh, on chokers I think embroidery looks much better and makes me less nervous that having a "pin" that close to my (or my kiddos) throat. Non-embroidered collar :no:, might as well be naked to me. :)

barnbum81
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
I use a Scottish family crest (Gordon Clan) badge as my stock pin. Its pewter, just the right size and I think it looks awesome. It has a stag head on it with our clan motto "Bydand" which means "remaining".

http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clan_items/jewellery_accesories/AP-CT01.html

cool

BAC
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:55 PM

Yes, that's what I learned as a junior, the stock and pin were to be used as a bandage in an emergency, otherwise the stock helped keep your neck warm. :yes: I could never wear anything but a plain gold pin, nor would I ever consider wearing a pre-tied stock, they just never look as nice either, always too flat and limp.