PDA

View Full Version : Spin of Spin: The Tacky of the Future

mvp
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:14 AM
OK, people, time to move on to prognostication:

Of the stuff around now, what will be the Tacky of the future?

The 2010 version of petal bell boots.

The 2010 version of purple and teal.

ETA: And to make this fun, you need to lay some virtual money on the virtual table. Think of your bet as indicating your measure of confidence.

It's hard to say. But I will put an expensive steak dinner on those baboon-butt patched full seat breeches.

equidae
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
speed airs:yes:

fordtraktor
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Those block-colored Joules polo shirts with numbers on them. Hideous! I can't believe people actually buy them. I hope no one shows in them but I fear they do.

GreystoneKC
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:22 AM
:( I like petal bell boots.

Haalter
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
Riding "tights". Unless you are eight, those just. should. not. be worn in public. Mvp, I'd see your steak dinner and raise you a nice bottle of Malbec, but I have to say, you beat me to it on the baboon pants. Ick. I sure hope they are comfortable because they certainly aren't flattering on anyone.

Lucassb
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
Riding "tights". Unless you are eight, those just. should. not. be worn in public. Mvp, I'd see your steak dinner and raise you a nice bottle of Malbec, but I have to say, you beat me to it on the baboon pants. Ick. I sure hope they are comfortable because they certainly aren't flattering on anyone.

Tights and baboon pants were high on my list, too... so I'll see the steak & Malbec and raise you both an after dinner Remy Louis X11 or L'Esprit de Courvoisier, as you prefer.

To that, I will add the plethora of plastic boots that seem to have replaced the traditional leather open fronts and ankles due to people's laziness with respect to cleaning tack. Not at all unlike petal boots, ugh.

NancyM
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
What will be tacky in the future is the riding jacket you bought last year. Which is why I only buy a riding jacket that is very dark brown, conservative, no pinstripes, no contrasting lining, no NOTHING. Plain. And I don't care. Bite me.

purplnurpl
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:14 AM
It's hard to say. But I will put an expensive steak dinner on those baboon-butt patched full seat breeches.

THANK YOU!
I can't handle the baboon butt.
Not many other people have agreed with me when I have mentioned it in the past.

AndNirina
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:20 AM
Those gawd-awful Nike and Tretorn tall boots. And why stop at magnetic stirrups? We could scoff at bascule and have magnetic saddles. That way the baboon butt riding tights could have a purpose if they made those cheeks magnetic. Although, posting would be interesting, so lets all just perch from 2010 on.....

Renn/aissance
Nov. 15, 2010, 11:25 AM
Those gawd-awful Nike and Tretorn tall boots. And why stop at magnetic stirrups? We could scoff at bascule and have magnetic saddles. That way the baboon butt riding tights could have a purpose if they made those cheeks magnetic. Although, posting would be interesting, so lets all just perch from 2010 on.....

Those boots are tacky already :lol:

Colored linings in hunt coats. I can't afford to raise y'all steak and wine, so how's Chipotle?

mvp
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:13 PM
Tights and baboon pants were high on my list, too... so I'll see the steak & Malbec and raise you both an after dinner Remy Louis X11 or L'Esprit de Courvoisier, as you prefer.

To that, I will add the plethora of plastic boots that seem to have replaced the traditional leather open fronts and ankles due to people's laziness with respect to cleaning tack. Not at all unlike petal boots, ugh.

Wait a sec. You can't *raise me* while betting on the same thing-- the baboon butts.

Now, I do think you are right about the plastic boots. At home, sure. Heck, use your Ulsters if you want to.

At a non-muddy show?

What were you thinking?

And what were you thinking by using something other than the traditional dark baghide and thin fleece version Beval used to make?

I still have mine. I rarely use them. That's my insurance against future tackiness.

Those boots are tacky already :lol:

Colored linings in hunt coats. I can't afford to raise y'all steak and wine, so how's Chipotle?

Mmm. Chipotle. I do wonder how long it will take for loud colored linings to go away. That's because I dig 'em now. But then I also had teal chaps....

See this is the point of the thread. Crap you like... and yet could be wrong about because you had, after all, liked crap in the past.

But again to the "sure thing." I'll bet you a tank of diesel that those Guernini boots-- you remember those baroque and *too short* tall boots-- have a shelf life of 3 years or less.

nlk
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
The new sweaters by Joules (I think) they look like something off a clown in the 80's. Particularly the one with one blue cuff and one red cuff as well as multi colored buttons. Seriously some things should be left in the 80's.

But people will by them...because they are by Joules

http://www.doversaddlery.com/joules-edgeworth-snow-long-sleeve-polo-shirt/p/X1-20945/cn/4607/

Although I love this one!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/joules-peachy-sweatshirt/p/X1-20948/cn/4607/

The other is the Newmark shirts...because I want to dress just like my horse...

I can't raise anything...I'm poor!

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
I can't imagine putting this on my horse. The Joules blanket and turnout sheet. :dead:

Now this is tacky: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-24253&ids=141469990

:lol:

Peggy
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
Are we allowed to vote for things we'd like to see gone? Because, after all, if it doesn't match my taste it needs to be gone.:lol:

Hunt coats with piping and shiny metal buttons. In an eq final. One can only hope. I've lived through the era of velvet collars and seen that fade so perhaps these will die a similar death.

Padded bridles, though they do help to minimize a grande head. I get flashbacks to the white-lined dressage bridles of yore.

Extremely blingy belts for the simple reason that belt fashions seem to come and go.

Fake tails in the style of QH congress. Please.

Will confess to showing eq/o in plastic EquiFit boots at a county-level show. The other option was a set of extremely fuzzy boots that I bought, sheep-like, when I went back to showing o/f. It really bothered me, tho, and I recently purchased a set of leather thinline boots after hauling the other ones off to the tack resale store. I don't even like the leather ones with elastic straps that are some color besides brown.

I will bet an order of tortilla soup and a bowl of taco chips with excellent salsa and the Mexican joint around the corner.

Wizard of Oz's
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
I bet in just a few years the show shirts with patterned cuffs/collar will be considered tacky. Or maybe they are now and I'm the tacky one. I'm hoping that in the future it will be super tacky to have your hair in a ponytail hanging out of your helmet. While I think that is tacky now, lots of people seem not to think so;)

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:04 PM
Although these gals are extremely built well - these things "DO" need to go! (just agreeing with you)

http://www.doversaddlery.com/fits-thinline-shim-set/p/X1-35254/cn/2/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/f.i.t.s.-performax-full-seat-pull-on-riding-breeches/p/X1-35442/cn/2/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/kerrits-breathe-tight-ii-full-seat/p/x1-35362/cn/2/

HobbyHorse101
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:23 PM
Super slow hunter rounds. It's not western pleasure let's let the ponies actually reach the fences at a decent pace.

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
Okay someone needs to bring the veggies - or should I raise you a bottle of Cakebread - - Now this thread is making me hungry OR since I don't want to cook, how about going to Mortons..... (not that I'm confident in my choice - but I just like the place)

The Kensington checkered stuff in pink, purple and neon green.... However Baker blankets did stay in fashion to this day. I had one in the 80's and hated it because all the shavings stuck to it.

KitCat
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:35 PM
For-looks-only martingales.

I would bet some seriously authentic Mexican food, as I am too poor to bet anything else. :)

maudie
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:39 PM
I love my joules pullover! It's cream colored with small multi-colored polka dots, pink striped collar and sleeves, and blue piping. I got it half off, and it feels snuggly and warm when it's chilly out.

I really hate the GPA speed airs, they just look weird with traditional hunter stuff. When it comes to hunters I like the traditional look. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1127358&l=8bceff25f6&id=1638434559 excuse the sketchy position, the pic is old :lol:

Now, my eventing gear is COVERED in bling. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1211982&l=89bfd6eea5&id=1638434559
try to contain your jealously ;)

I'd like to put my hound dog on LOUD linings, and uber expensive breeches

Haalter
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:10 PM
Fake tails in the style of QH congress. Please.Oooh, I want to change my bet! I loathe fake tails - have never owned one, never will, and while most of my horses have nice tails, if one doesn't, a mudknot always looks traditional and classy IMO.

I do, however, think the Joules turnouts are adorable...for a child's pony. On a horse, not so much.

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:15 PM
-- the baboon butts.

See this is the point of the thread. Crap you like... and yet could be wrong about because you had, after all, liked crap in the past..

So wait a minute! YOU like those baboon butt things "now"? :lol:

But again to the "sure thing." I'll bet you a tank of diesel that those Guernini boots-- you remember those baroque and *too short* tall boots-- have a shelf life of 3 years or less.

Oh now were betting fuel! I wouldn't feel as guilty betting that now!

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Oh no - I found these while shopping for "stuff" - now called "classic" :)

http://www.doversaddlery.com/charles-owen-wellington-classic-riding-helmet/p/X1-36208/cn/1/

I had a navy blue helmet in the 70's w/o the harness strap... Things have a way of circling don't they. I see my kids wearing Ray Ban Wayfarers, Baja pullover jackets and slip on Vans... :)

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
I don't like all the rambo striped stuff. I have no idea why but I hate the colors and it looks weird to me - I know!! But I think someday they will scream 2010 and be tacky.

What else...hm...those helmets with the gigantic vents on the front.

I agree - the plastic horse boots and super padded bridles. Bling-y brow bands? All you ladies with the clincher figure 8 bridles, lol.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:57 PM
This makes me cringe. The photo not so much as the one I saw in person today. I think I died a little inside when I opened the box.

It's an AYR8 (an GR8 with vents) that they slapped a bow, button and beige harness on.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/110538047521?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=169064561654&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=1e6a310812c0a06c1b720d92ffedea99&itemid=110538047521&ff4=263602_304662

I'm betting homemade flour-less chocolate cake because I don't have enough money for anything else.

(I'd love to hear it if anything thinks this is a good idea.

Lucassb
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:15 PM
This makes me cringe. The photo not so much as the one I saw in person today. I think I died a little inside when I opened the box.

It's an AYR8 (an GR8 with vents) that they slapped a bow, button and beige harness on.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/110538047521?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=169064561654&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=1e6a310812c0a06c1b720d92ffedea99&itemid=110538047521&ff4=263602_304662

I'm betting homemade flour-less chocolate cake because I don't have enough money for anything else.

(I'd love to hear it if anything thinks this is a good idea.

Actually I bought one of those helmets from Beval this past spring and love it. All the comfort of a lightweight vented helmet, but with a very traditional look. (You really cannot tell there is a vent - which is covered by a dark mesh - from more than a few feet away, and certainly not on someone cantering around a course.)

To each their own, I guess. But I've gotten tons of compliments on it.

mvp
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:32 PM
So wait a minute! YOU like those baboon butt things "now"? :lol:

Oh now were betting fuel! I wouldn't feel as guilty betting that now!

1) No. The point is that you can't bet *with* me... or something as obviously tacky as baboon butts. The odd on that are almost even, so there's nothing to be won.

2) Yes. You can bet whatever you want. But you must bet big or small based on your degree of confidence/ball size. Oh, but I don't want to exclude the po' folks who can't afford to lose some cyber money on some cyber talk. Then you just need to talk like you mean it. It's like poker, my friends.

And man you guys found some heinous stuff. Some of you even paid (real) money for it.

OK, betting large again: trailer ties/bungies will disappear. Or what I really mean is that they will come to be regarded as unbreakable nylon halters are now.

I'll have you know I thought Craigmyle halters-- the most unbreakable mothers every made-- were the bomb. I still think they're great if you go in for that kind of thing. And I want to.... but I will only own leather halters. I do have plan for a custom one, however.

flogarty
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Brown helmets.

Its not the 1970s.

doublesstable
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:37 AM
1) No. The point is that you can't bet *with* me... or something as obviously tacky as baboon butts. The odd on that are almost even, so there's nothing to be won.

:lol: Ahhh I have never been good at gambling... and besides "nothing" will be as tacky lookin' as those baboon butt breeches!

mvp
Nov. 16, 2010, 07:05 AM
Brown helmets.

Its not the 1970s.

You know what? When I'm really rich enough, old enough, and good-riding enough to show my own Regular Working Hunter on a Wednesday morning, I'll be wearing brown field boots and a brown velvet helmet.

I want brown to make a return. Since it was worn on weekday and informal hunts, I use that to legitimize my wearing it in the show ring. But only one weekdays. The velvet hat will be a dark shade of brown but more or less go with the boots, dammit!

Stand back while the old lady Rocks Your World.

Another brave bet: Tad Coffin saddles will go away.

I know! You can't believe it right? Not that they're tacky, but that they aren't all that as a $4,500 investment. Too soft, don't actually fit everything, Tad is mortal like the rest of us.

And Tad's TC2-- the "deep seat"-- model. Really? That's all ya got? It looks like the Flat Man said "You guys want Deeper? Well, all right then. Here you go (....kind of.... and you suck)."

hijumpin1
Nov. 16, 2010, 07:30 AM
The new sweaters by Joules (I think) they look like something off a clown in the 80's. Particularly the one with one blue cuff and one red cuff as well as multi colored buttons. Seriously some things should be left in the 80's.

But people will by them...because they are by Joules

http://www.doversaddlery.com/joules-edgeworth-snow-long-sleeve-polo-shirt/p/X1-20945/cn/4607/

Although I love this one!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/joules-peachy-sweatshirt/p/X1-20948/cn/4607/

The other is the Newmark shirts...because I want to dress just like my horse...

I can't raise anything...I'm poor!

People shouldn't wear large vertical stripes anyway...end up looking like a giant bumblebee.

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:31 AM
Body clipping your horse in summer. JMO.

Madeline
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Let me second the fake tails and the glacial pace of hunters.

Shadbellies will disappear back into closets where they belong.

I love the rambo newmarket stripes...but they've been around for decades.

And this one will mark me forever for being TOTALLY out of touch with current and future coolness...GR8's. Even when not upsized to accommodate long hair, they make everyone look like R2D2...
http://nyconvergence.com/2010/09/verizon-launches-r2d2-droid-phone-in-nyc.html

mvp
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:50 AM
Body clipping your horse in summer. JMO.

Now that's an interesting bet.

Why do you think that will go by the way of purple and teal?

When?

What kind of money are you going to lay down to back this up?

I say this because I think most people wouldn't pay for year round clipping unless the really, really had to. It that's a (by-) product of the horses we are breeding than I don't think it will go away soon. Or, on the other hand, when can you imagine plain grooming being OK again? I think we'd have to take some major steps backward in the modern showing industry before we got to the point that everyone did this.

KateKat
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
I actually saw zebra and leopard print turnouts at Horseloverz.com. Those will definitely not be in fashion any time soon and are so tacky.

Rubber reins. As much as I think they are functional, I really do hate them.

SmartAlex
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:02 AM
Although these gals are extremely built well - these things "DO" need to go! (just agreeing with you)

http://www.doversaddlery.com/kerrits-breathe-tight-ii-full-seat/p/x1-35362/cn/2/

I wanted those, but refrained when I psycho analysed myself to the point to admit it was the figure I wanted, not the weird britches :cool:

If plaid breeches aren't tacky yet, I'm sure they will be by the time I get up the nerve to buy some. So I'm skipping that too.

SmartAlex
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
I don't like all the rambo striped stuff. I have no idea why but I hate the colors and it looks weird to me - I know!! But I think someday they will scream 2010 and be tacky.

I know they will, but when they do, I will cry because I LOVE them. Now anyway ;)

Thanatos
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:15 PM
Pelhams in the eq. Granted some horses really go best in one and for those horses, fine. However, I watched an eq flat class at a rated show a few months ago and all the adult ammys ran out and put pelhams on their horses and then swapped back to Dees for the O/F. I can only assume it's because none of them had the leg or educated hand enough to get the horse onto the bit and into the bridle on their own without the pelham.

Also, I am sick of hearing whiney kids saying things like "Well, I didn't win this medal because my horse/pony wasn't in a pelham and the judges only like pelhams!" when in reality, the round was atrocious and the rider that won it had a horse in a loose ring. :rolls eyes:. Sorry, I really don't like pelhams!

Royal rider stirrups in the eq. (really any of the non-traditional irons in the eq). And while I really liked the snap collar idea, after spending the fall at the rated shows and seeing people walking around with them undone, they look silly.

I see whatever the current offer is, and I raise a box of CA Pinot Noir. :D However, I would also accept the Chipotle offer!

pattnic
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
I will wager top-secret-family-recipe church cake (you can still eat it even if you're atheist... I've fed it to Jews with no ill consequences as well) on half-pads for every. single. horse. disappearing. If your horse for whatever reason NEEDS one, great, but really? Every horse? No. They're going the way of Navajos and pommel pads.

I actually think the plastic boots - the Veredus, the T-boots, the Thinlines, the Eskadrons - will hang around in some form... they're more "technical."

equidae
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:50 PM
I second the shad's.. I really cannot stand them, no matter what the level of rider- well, I guess I can tolerate them on the very elite riders but that's it! .. but seriously- now that they've trickled down to where KIDS are riding in them?! No way. Pretentious and totally obnoxious. Put them away.

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Now that's an interesting bet.

Why do you think that will go by the way of purple and teal?

When?

What kind of money are you going to lay down to back this up?

I say this because I think most people wouldn't pay for year round clipping unless the really, really had to. It that's a (by-) product of the horses we are breeding than I don't think it will go away soon. Or, on the other hand, when can you imagine plain grooming being OK again? I think we'd have to take some major steps backward in the modern showing industry before we got to the point that everyone did this.

Yikes. :eek: Sorry... Don't have a real good answer except - I saw some horses this summer ( and actually at Devon as well) who were clipped that never had been clipped before, I asked the JR and she said "everyone does it now...." , - I do just plain grooming in the summer, I do clip in the spring and fall.

I understand some horses "need" it ( medically etc)

It was just my opinion regarding the "trend" I saw. :(

equidae
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
I also echo the loudly colored hunt coat linings, the greens reds and purples.. especially paired with the flapping rear end of a rider doing the hunter hula.

I'm just a traditionalist I guess.. I'd NEVER survive in Eventer Land with all of the garb those people wear! I'm all for browns and blacks. I'd totally dig brown boots and a brown helmet though.

Renn/aissance
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:31 PM
MVP, you talked about how you were hoping trailer ties would go the way of the dodo- what would you suggest using in their place? (Disclaimer, have to tie my guy if he's trailering with another horse because he will break through the divider, eat the other horse's hay, and cause a rumpus in the back of the trailer. Trailer tie attached to baling twine, then attached to wall.)

I hope that shadbellies on small children with short boots and garters will go away... :( Sadly I'm betting that it won't.

(Also full disclosure, I owned a navy hunt coat with a scarlet lining. It was on sale and I couldn't afford to have the lining replaced. Coat now sold. Whew.)

janedoe726
Nov. 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
Let me preface this by saying my item is on its way out, so I'm sure this is a safe bet, but still, I can't believe on page 3 no one has yet mentioned PUKE GREEN RIDING BRITCHES!!! Seriously- although I will admit to owning my share, they're hideous!! I think I'll put down Sixteen (http://www.trumpchicagohotel.com/Food_Wine/food_wine.asp) on that one!

Oh, and let's not forget the tiny ones with hair bows that cover their entire back! Of course, pretty sure that's considered tacky now.

mvp
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:09 PM
MVP, you talked about how you were hoping trailer ties would go the way of the dodo- what would you suggest using in their place? (Disclaimer, have to tie my guy if he's trailering with another horse because he will break through the divider, eat the other horse's hay, and cause a rumpus in the back of the trailer. Trailer tie attached to baling twine, then attached to wall.)

The one standard cotton rope you'll also lead him with? This has always worked for me. And no clanking from the trailer when the trailer tie isn't attached to a horse. Of course you can put in a baling twine fuse if you like. But just one lead, rope, my friend.

Let me preface this by saying my item is on its way out, so I'm sure this is a safe bet, but still, I can't believe on page 3 no one has yet mentioned PUKE GREEN RIDING BRITCHES!!! Seriously- although I will admit to owning my share, they're hideous!! I think I'll put down Sixteen (http://www.trumpchicagohotel.com/Food_Wine/food_wine.asp) on that one!

Oh, and let's not forget the tiny ones with hair bows that cover their entire back! Of course, pretty sure that's considered tacky now.

Yes, Tailored Sportsman was deeply influential at the end of the last century. Big historical event.

I think the butt/thigh owners among us are happy for whatever degree of darkness we can get from breeches. If you can't do rust (as you *could not* in the 1990s, but knew was once possible), you wanted puke green. JMO.

Really? Are those heinous, kiddie beauty pageant bows finally officially passé?

OK, I'll raise you guys:

Mismatched and non-barn color blankets were always tacky.

So... Big barns that rent matching horse wardrobes and trunks and whatnot to customers on a long term basis will become tht thing of the future. It's smart for both sides, no?

FineAlready
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:17 PM

LOL! So true! I've always wondered who ever thought, "Ya know? We should make breeches that really accentuate each butt cheek."

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:21 PM
LOL! So true! I've always wondered who ever thought, "Ya know? We should make breeches that really accentuate each butt cheek."

Obviously no one looking at mine!!! :lol:

Madeline
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:08 PM
OK, I'll raise you guys:

Mismatched and non-barn color blankets were always tacky.

So... Big barns that rent matching horse wardrobes and trunks and whatnot to customers on a long term basis will become tht thing of the future. It's smart for both sides, no?

I disagree. If you have a barn full of 2'6" and 3' ers all with matching everything, my thought is that those people should be doing more training and buying fewer matchy-matchy frills to make the trainer look prosperous..

If you're John French or Don Stewart or Beezie Madden, you might be able to get away with all the Barbie-horse stuff.

mvp
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
I disagree. If you have a barn full of 2'6" and 3' ers all with matching everything, my thought is that those people should be doing more training and buying fewer matchy-matchy frills to make the trainer look prosperous..

If you're John French or Don Stewart or Beezie Madden, you might be able to get away with all the Barbie-horse stuff.

I get it. I've seen it. I'm guilty of it. That "false advertising" of having top-end stuff on a middle-end horse. I can't begin to afford the animal and training underneath the matching wardrobe, so I fake it. If you saw us in the barns/on the ground versus in the ring, you'd be the victim of a complete bait-n-switch.

And when I saw this with a lady who had a "looks the part" WB gelding, I totally bought the hype. According to the Assistant Trainer at that barn, the horse and rider team is a bigger POS than me and my horse are. I had to laugh.

danceronice
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:31 PM
If your biggest worry is whether or not you have the right COLOR blanket, you lead a charmed life.

(Personally I like the Newmarket sheets, but ONLY in the classic Newmarket colors.)

I predict giant padded puffy-seated "hunter" saddles will go the way of canary breeches, and join those betting/hoping the western-pleasure speed hunter rounds vanish as well. I have little to bet with, so how about homemade beef wellington?

And I'm all for brown boots and helmets making a comeback, along with nice tweed jackets. I like a nice tweed jacket.

Renn/aissance
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
The one standard cotton rope you'll also lead him with? This has always worked for me.

Sadly, mine will eat a cotton rope. But I see your point!

Speaking of halters and leads good grief do I ever hope that plaid nylon halters will shortly be recognized as as tacky as they are...

On a related note, I was in the consignment section of the local saddlery yesterday and saw what I thought was a beautiful old hunt coat. Sort of a cobalt blue with brass buttons and a velvet collar of a slightly darker blue. The contrast was so slight that you didn't really notice the collar. Am I destined to tackiness? :eek: Do I need to offer more Chipotle to escape my fate?

purplnurpl
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
I also echo the loudly colored hunt coat linings, the greens reds and purples.. especially paired with the flapping rear end of a rider doing the hunter hula.

I'm just a traditionalist I guess.. I'd NEVER survive in Eventer Land with all of the garb those people wear! I'm all for browns and blacks. I'd totally dig brown boots and a brown helmet though.

lol. you would survive. We have not dress code. You can wear as much or as little as you like.
The only color you see on my horses for XC now is my navy vest--all else is white. The purple on it is colored up by wearing a pinny. ; )

FineAlready
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:12 PM
I get it. I've seen it. I'm guilty of it. That "false advertising" of having top-end stuff on a middle-end horse. I can't begin to afford the animal and training underneath the matching wardrobe, so I fake it. If you saw us in the barns/on the ground versus in the ring, you'd be the victim of a complete bait-n-switch.

And when I saw this with a lady who had a "looks the part" WB gelding, I totally bought the hype. According to the Assistant Trainer at that barn, the horse and rider team is a bigger POS than me and my horse are. I had to laugh.

I love dressing my OTTB-who-has-yet-to-debut-in-the-baby-greens in fancy clothing. You know what? He deserves it, and I think it boosts his confidence. ;)

The fact that his purchase price was not through the roof should not prevent him from having the finest of everything. It is my JOB to cater to his every whim and need. Just ask him. He'll tell you.

Alterrain
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:27 PM

That so could be me!

But seriously, no amount of money spent on lessons is going to make me not chip. Or not forget the course in the middle of the "first jump off ever that I might win only because I am the last to go and everyone else had a rail and my horse doesn't have rails all she has to do is remember the course" and circle. I might as well look the part. :)

thechestnutmare
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:29 AM
colored saddle pads annoy me. I like white. Navy or balck is fine... I guess, but hot pink. Lets get real.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 19, 2010, 05:04 PM
Polar Fleece. From jackets to dress sheets. Why does anyone think its ever a good idea to pay a fortune to put a dust/hay/fur/shaving magnet on yourself or your horse in a barn full of dust/shavings/hay/fur.

mvp
Nov. 19, 2010, 06:11 PM
That so could be me!

But seriously, no amount of money spent on lessons is going to make me not chip. Or not forget the course in the middle of the "first jump off ever that I might win only because I am the last to go and everyone else had a rail and my horse doesn't have rails all she has to do is remember the course" and circle. I might as well look the part. :)

Here's how I look at it. So you boff in the ring. Always. That's 2-6 bad minutes out of every long day you are at a show. Granted, those are the only minutes that count. But you might as well look F'in Awesome the rest of the time. And since we all dress the same in the ring, maybe no one will put Chipper you and Walking Around you together. One can hope even though spending money to fool some of the people some of the time when it doesn't matter *is* tacky.

Polar Fleece. From jackets to dress sheets. Why does anyone think its ever a good idea to pay a fortune to put a dust/hay/fur/shaving magnet on yourself or your horse in a barn full of dust/shavings/hay/fur.

colored saddle pads annoy me. I like white. Navy or balck is fine... I guess, but hot pink. Lets get real.

I'm with both of you guys. But now you need to lay down some money/food/fuel (see my tank o' diesel above) or whathaveyou. You also need to pick a date.

I'll bet your dusting and vacuuming one level of your house that colored saddle pads go Out (Way Out) before polar fleece does. The latter is too useful and washable.

hijumpin1
Nov. 20, 2010, 11:22 AM

I hate it too! Especially on dress sheets/coolers. I still think real wool has a better drape and better thermal qualities.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 20, 2010, 10:52 PM
I just keep hoping the sporting goods textile industry geniuses will come up with something as soft, lightweight, and warm as polar fleece that won't make me look like I washed my shirt in glue, then towelled my shedding horse down with it before putting it back on, rolling around in his stall, then just for good measure, had a roll in the hay as well!

These are secrets I'd prefer to keep. :o

doublesstable
Nov. 28, 2010, 11:13 PM
Okay bringing this thread back from the dead because I found these and they are "almost" as bad as the baboon butt breeches -

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-1184

NOTE they are NEW! Could you imagine riding in a GM clinic with these? I dare someone to do it.

And I wanted to know who won and what we-r-all eatin?

pictureonemore
Nov. 29, 2010, 12:13 AM
I don't know if I am out-of-bounds with this one, but how about the "trainers" out there that can't even do what the title suggests. Personally, when I watch said "trainers" give a lesson, it makes me want to scream/cry/laugh/and ultimately hit something. Granted I'm not perfect, but when said people actually get on the horse to show the student something, and THEY look like a monkey humping a football that can't even show the student what to aim for, I find THAT the tackiest.thing.EVER. I would put my shiny new truck on it, but unfortunately, they will ALWAYS be around.

indygirl2560
Nov. 29, 2010, 01:04 AM
Okay bringing this thread back from the dead because I found these and they are "almost" as bad as the baboon butt breeches -

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-1184

NOTE they are NEW! Could you imagine riding in a GM clinic with these? I dare someone to do it.

And I wanted to know who won and what we-r-all eatin?
Those are hideous! :eek: