PDA

View Full Version : DC Area Tack

peachiepony
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:03 AM
I'm new to the DC area. Any suggestions for places to shop for tack and equestrian gifts?

CiegoStar
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:21 AM
Are you closer to VA or MD?

Pickings are fairly slim but there are a few good shops.

peachiepony
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:37 AM
I'm in Bethesda

jennifersw
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:46 AM
The Surrey, originally in Potomac but now just a bit north of there...Barnesville/ Poolseville area. FANTASTIC gifts and some good tack; whatever they don't have in stock you can have them order.
Also if you are in Bethesda, you aren' t too far from Middleburg, VA (under an hour). The Tack Box is there (plus a slew of other gift boutiques with horsey things) and there is a Dover Saddlery not too far away, in Chantilly, VA.

Heineken
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:01 AM
Stablemates in Mt. Airy

winstonian
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
There is also a Dover Saddlery in Crofton, MD that may be easier to get to than the one in Chantilly, depending on the time of day.

Meadowbrook Stables has a small tack shop called The Loft in Chevy Chase, MD, just inside the beltway.

Vandy
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
WINSTONIAN!!! If you are back in the US, CALL ME!!!

REH
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:35 PM
My favorite places to shop:

Dover in Chantilly--inventory and service is great; many people come from DC and MD to shop there, not just VA folks.

The Tack Box in Middleburg, VA--carry lots of high end things that many others don't carry.

The place in Mt. Airy that Heineken mentioned--I've only been there once or twice, but they are nice and inventory is good.

I do not like the Surrey--I find their prices are well above average.

Reagan
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:59 PM
The Surrey tends to be very expensive, Stablemates in Mt. Airy is also expensive but not as bad as The Surrey. Dover in Chantilly, VA and Hunt Valley, MD are really the only places I go if I'm going to buy something. Other wise I will go try something on, or look at it at a tack shop then order on line. For saddles or something you need custom ordered MD Tack in Sykesville is great, wonderful people!

Keep1Belle
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
And if you are in Chantilly might as well go 20 minutes more to Horseman's outlet in Haymarket.

And if you are at the dover in hunt valley, might as well check out MD saddlery - they also have a consignment shop that often carries new items as well.

Stable mates is overpriced IMO and the selcetion is small. MD saddlery is also more than DOver but I like there selection and customer service better.

hollyhorse2000
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:36 PM
I was at Horse Country in Warrenton, Va., recently and it was by far the best equestrian gift store I've ever been in. Yes, had tack, helmets, some clothing, jackets, etc., but more importantly fantastic horse-themed art, knicknacks, jewelry, etc. It's worth the drive on a pretty Fall weekend!

gottagrey
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:03 PM
Also forgot to mention the Grey Pony in Highland MD - caters to mostly H/J crowd; not sure about gift items but good tack/clothing...

and Hollyhorse2000- re; hunt country - EXACTLY! shucks take the day, drive to Warrenton, take in a vineyard, have lunch/dinner etc... OH Hunt Country is not open on Sundays though

Stablemates has good sales from time to time.. good selection of supplies, tack/attire can be hit or miss. The Surrey in Darnestown has better selection of tack/saddles...

analise
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:54 PM
Grey Pony has a reasonable gift section (not a lot, but nice things. Lots of horsey prints). They also have a nice selection of consignment items.

Right near there, if you're just looking for horse supplements, treats, grooming items, I'd check out Highland Feed and Seed (it's within walking distance of the Grey Pony, other side of 108, and a bit down from the intersection with 216). (Editing: Remembered that she has some nice equestrian-related gift things too. Also dog and cat stuff. :) )

Stablemates is okay but they're best to visit when they're doing a sale.

Maryland Tack has amazing customer service (the owner once told me as long as I called ahead of time to see if they were there, they could be "open" to help me out, even if it was at a non-usual-business-hours time).

Carroll County Tack up in Finksburg is good, too. A lot of Western stuff, but a reasonable English selection (and the best price on your basic TuffRider breeches that I've seen around here).

And, if you want to make the hike, Maryland Saddlery up in Butler (near Reisterstown) has a huge consignment shop along with the main tack shop. (and there's a Dover tack shop near there, too, so you can hit two birds with one stone).

There's also the Woodland Tack Store in Silver Spring, right off New Hampshire Ave. I've only been there a couple times and it's been a while but I remember them having a pretty good selection and I get emails from them on fairly regular sales.