PDA

View Full Version : Safety vests for the H/J -- what to buy?

fordtraktor
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:32 PM
So I want to buy a safety vest, and I informed my husband that he is buying me one as my Christmas present (he is perfectly thrilled to do so). Which one should I buy? I ride alone at home, and think it makes sense to ride in a vest.

Would prefer something that is NOT that noticeable so I could possibly show in it if I felt like it. From a looks perspective I would like to just buy a Tipperary in navy, but was wondering if that sacrifices safety for looks....hmm, what to do? Are the COs/Rodney Powell types that much safer? I am far from tack shops so trying them on is probably not an option. Help!

mg
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:44 PM
"Safety" ratings for vests are VERY different from safety ratings for helmets. Long story short, it's much easier to replicate the sort of impact in a fall that would happen to the head to test helmets, but it's much more of a gray area with what happens to the body in a fall. The only reason the Tipperary isn't certified is because of the spacing between the cells of padding--the thought being that something could potentially puncture you in one of those small spaces. That does NOT mean the Tipperary isn't safe for the reasons most people wear vests.

If you want something slimmer/more flattering, the Tipp is your best bet. And unless you're worried about landing perpendicular on top of a stake, you should be plenty safe.

poltroon
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:51 PM
As a former H/J rider, I would suggest you will be most happy with a Tipperary, especially if you are thinking about showing in it. The other vests are much bulkier.

The ASTM vests are safer, especially for their improved side protection. But, for your garden variety fall on blunt objects, the Tipperary is reasonably effective while still looking fairly mainstream. It is also the most comfortable, especially on warmer days. For equitation, hands down, the Tipperary. The other vests will cause you to hold your arms out further from your sides, for example, which is fine functionally but not aesthetically.

The Tipperary is still legal for eventing, even though it is not certified. Since I event, my next vest will be an ASTM vest. But, if I were only thinking about H/J, I'd stick with my Tipperary.

Noctis
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'd go with a Tip. VERY comfortable, lightweight and molds easily. Also comes in black or completely custom colors so you can get it to be as conservative (or match your hunt coat) or anything you want. LOVE mine. As an eventer (mainly) though, my next vest will probably be an ASTM one for showing, but I'll never NOT have a Tipperary for use at home and hacking.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:38 PM
I actually really like the tipperary ride lite as well as the eventer.

I have the eventer in black, but at the time I wanted the least restricting thing I could find.

BTW tipperary navy isn't nearly show jacket dark. I'd get black.

flyracing
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
I knew a gal that made covers for the tipperary vests to make them match your jacket (same color/fabric/texture). They looked quite snazzy compared to just the vest especially since it makes the tipperary's smooth and removes the laces and zippers (at least visibly). Only problem is with the big selection of coat colors and pin stripe patterns, a true match is difficult, but at least the fabric is smooth and not shiny :cool: