PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Sheet

enjoytheride
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
Does anyone use a quarter sheet?

If so, does it make your horse less likely to dump you when it's 20 degrees in the indoor?

Less importantly, do you leave it on the entire ride, jump in it, or use the ones that go over your leg?

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:36 PM
Using a fleece one on my horse makes him 10x MORE likely to dump me. The static buildup makes him very upset.

I want to try wool but I'm hesitant to spend nearly $100 for one in case he hates it... esp considering I'm in south Texas.

Not to hijack-- If anyone has a suggestion for a good wool one I'd love to hear it.

ET's Home
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
I found a good wool one at the Equine Affaire several years ago for $50. Was at the EA this past weekend and saw some for less than $100, but sorry don't remember which vendor those were.

It does not seem to make my mare less likely to be silly, but it does allow her to warm up faster and stay relaxed through her back and hind end. I usually take it off after about 20 minutes of trotting, before jumping. If I leave it on over my legs it just annoys me.

What I would love to find is the quarter sheets without the saddle cut-outs, for lunging and long lining. Only option is custom and then they are >$200-300

ET's Home
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
Oh and agree about the static issue with fleece, I have a fleece blanket liner that I hate, gives me a shock when I pull it off.

superD
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
I have used them for a few years. usually when it's below 25. I use it for the whole ride including jumping. We only do about 2' so no big deal there. I always use it under the saddle.

meupatdoes
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:49 PM
I found a good wool one at the Equine Affaire several years ago for $50. Was at the EA this past weekend and saw some for less than $100, but sorry don't remember which vendor those were.

It does not seem to make my mare less likely to be silly, but it does allow her to warm up faster and stay relaxed through her back and hind end. I usually take it off after about 20 minutes of trotting, before jumping. If I leave it on over my legs it just annoys me.

What I would love to find is the quarter sheets without the saddle cut-outs, for lunging and long lining. Only option is custom and then they are >$200-300

https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/istar.asp?a=6&id=30!SHIRE

$145, super stylin', made out of WOOL and not $#itty fleece.

Voila.

ET's Home
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
Meupatdoes - you rock!

ET

PaintPony
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:45 PM
I have a great wool Triple Crown one that I got on Ebay for $20. It is the square under the saddle type that you can't remove while riding. (it's not in my colors and has some other horse's name on it - but for $20 I don't care!)

I HATE the fleece ones that go over your legs for anything other than standing at the gate. They just pull and fall off the back of the horse - and the static is is ridiculous!

Sancudo
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:01 AM
https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/istar.asp?a=6&id=30!SHIRE

$145, super stylin', made out of WOOL and not $#itty fleece.

Voila.

Check ebay for that exact blanket- I got one from a seller in England a few years ago, and even with shipping, it wasn't more than 40 dollars. Unfortunately, everyone I have now it way to big for it, but it looked quite snazzy on my little bay TB I had.

indygirl2560
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:30 AM
I have a fleece quarter sheet and I recently bought a nice wool one on sale at a local tack shop. Usually, I just warmup with the sheet on and take it off for jumping.

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:02 AM
I just got a Centaur sheet that is cutback around the legs. It's a nice wicking material on top but the underside (the side against the horse) is a nylon like material so it doesn't static. I love it. It's also nice and heavy so no flapping around which I have seen distract/spook some horses.

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90557

majanick
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hi, I have both a triple crown custom one and the rambo fleece one (Newmarket style.) I prefer the rambo. It is really heavy and I have had no static issues. They are cut out so your leg still goes on the horse well and they don't move. It's new at Smartpak for $75 and I do everything including jumping (3'6" roughly) in it. It comes in several colors. Look it up they are really nice and many people at our farm replaced their wool ones with it. Good luck!

onelanerode
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:17 PM
I also have one of the Rambo Newmarket fleece quarter sheets. I haven't had nearly as much issue with static with the Newmarket fleece as with the cheaper fleece. It's a dense, heavy fleece and it doesn't tend to flap around.

I picked up an almost-new Weatherbeeta fleece quarter sheet at a tack sale; it did not fit and it didn't stay in place well either, though some of that might have been mare's conformation.

pattnic
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have a Curvon wool quarter sheet that goes under the saddle and cannot be removed without taking off the saddle and I also have a Baker fleece exercise sheet (the kind of quarter sheet with the cutout that can be removed).

I don't often use a quarter sheet, but when I do, it's generally only to warm up, and then I remove it for jumping. If I'm doing only flatwork, I'm more inclined to leave it on for the duration.

Generally speaking, I prefer wool to fleece.

nlk
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:18 PM
I absolutely use one. Usually 30 or so and below. My horse feels like a keg of dynamite in cold weather. I throw it on as soon as I tack and warm up, low jumps etc. Usually after I can take it off, then throw it back on to cool out.

I use the Riders International and have no static problem.

Spud&Saf
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:56 PM
I use a quarter sheet in cooler weather if I'm riding out, or once my horse gets a clip in the indoor.

I also have the Rambo one and really like it.

I ride as per usual with it on the whole time.

Will throw a cooler on over top when I'm done if she's warm underneath on extra chilly days!

amt813
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:37 PM
I also have the rambo newmarket quarter sheet and love it - i have no issues with static with it.

I will flat with it on and jump small jumps - if I jumping courses or anything over 3' I take it off.