PDA

View Full Version : devoucoux open fronts question/help

pacificprima
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have a lovely pair of Devoucoux open fronts *swoon*
They are the ones with the stamped leather dog bone shaped keeper piece on the lower straps. Now I've tried them with the piece over the straps which displays the name but honestly is only visible if you are nose to cannon with my horse :lol: but I know what it says and that's all that matters! And I've tried them under which to me makes a little more sense that they would protect from the straps rubbing or pincing her delicate legs but the leather curls a bit and you can't read the pretty writing...

So how do you guys wear yours? staps under or over the leather piece? Is it a matter of vanity or practicality? I think they look so much better on the outside.

pacificprima
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:32 PM
anyone? I can't be the only one can I?

pacificprima
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:59 AM
well I've come to the conclusion that I have the only pair of these which must make them worth a fortune!! :lol::lol:

indygirl2560
Nov. 19, 2010, 01:05 AM
I don't have any but here's how they picture them online (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://phillipdutton-devoucoux.com/images/GAN%2520open%2520front%2520boots.jpg&imgrefurl=http://phillipdutton-devoucoux.com/index.php%3FcPath%3D22&usg=__kG_6fzHrvPHcDujT1pmJ46dkkH0=&h=260&w=240&sz=49&hl=en&start=0&sig2=YV3cRFp-G4DSuRoFlqUwww&zoom=1&tbnid=X7wbsEmGuia2rM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=116&ei=NhPmTJnZE4iesQOb5NSwCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddevoucoux%2Bopen%2Bfront%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1152%26bih%3D527%26tbs%3Di sch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=450&vpy=66&dur=3191&hovh=208&hovw=192&tx=130&ty=143&oei=NhPmTJnZE4iesQOb5NSwCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0), (with the straps on the inside, against the horse's leg)...

Candle
Nov. 19, 2010, 02:15 AM
:lol: I must have the second pair then, and I can't for the life of me get them to break in enough so that I feel they'd be comfortable against the horse's legs. I'm thinking of making a liner for them out of real sheepskin (there's a store that sells us pieces nearby), because I'm really just afraid of overtightening them and they won't soften at all. Any ideas?

DMK
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well I don't have th third pair, but way back in the dark ages when I used normal open front boots with leather straps and no pretty dog bone connector ;) those straps were pretty tough and not soft (presumably to be strong enough for their job) and I can't recall a horse ever having an issue.

Of course all my current horses are wittle hot house flowers and only the woolback of valena boots touches their pweshus wittle wegs, so there is that. :lol: Nah... I still have a pair of open fronts in the box and they are elastic straps that probably would be just as potentially irritating as a tougher leather, so it's probably not somethign to worry about unless you actually see evidence of rubbing.

DMK
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:43 AM
just noticed my name in your sig! :lol:

BAC
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:56 AM
just noticed my name in your sig! :lol:

I loved that quote, and had to restrain myself from commenting on it in the thread you posted it on. :D

DMK
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:02 PM
normally I do a slightly better job at restraint, but let's just say it was a tipping point for me. :D

BAC
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:26 PM
normally I do a slightly better job at restraint, but let's just say it was a tipping point for me. :D

I've been on the verge several times myself, its just a matter of time. ;)

Candle
Nov. 20, 2010, 08:54 PM
I loved that particular breaking point quote, and I think it bears repeating :D

How much do you want the leather on open fronts to soften? I know there's a line between comfort and slippage. Should I just stick to fleece-lined Eskadrons? These boots are sooooooooo pretty though.

pacificprima
Nov. 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
:lol: I must have the second pair then, and I can't for the life of me get them to break in enough so that I feel they'd be comfortable against the horse's legs. I'm thinking of making a liner for them out of real sheepskin (there's a store that sells us pieces nearby), because I'm really just afraid of overtightening them and they won't soften at all. Any ideas?

that's the other problem that I'm seeing even though I've oiled them to death, I think maybe it's the neoprene? It just sort of makes the straps want to be inbetween holes which brought me to the thought of putting the straps over to take up some length. I am NOT going to punch holes in them.

alibi_18
Nov. 21, 2010, 03:35 PM
I DO have the same pair of Devoucoux open front!!! ( and matching ankle hind boots) And I put the little piece of leather 'underneath' the straps as I believe makes it smoother than having the straps rubbing my horsy pretty legs, I don't really care if none can see the logo. :)

pacificprima
Nov. 22, 2010, 12:58 AM
do you find the edges curl funny then? when I tried them with the keeper under it didn't seem to work/look right so back to the original over I went.

Candle
Nov. 22, 2010, 02:42 AM
My second biggest problem with these is that I ended up with these and the ankle boots with the velcro, and I can't decide if they look good enough together to use, plus do the ankle boots slide down? I'm worried about boots sliding, I only usually use Eskadrons and they don't go anywhere. This is a fairly young horse, and while he has a good sense of humor, I don't feel like sliding boots is his cup of tea....