PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off from Tacky: Times a-changin'

mvp
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
The Tacky thread put me in a confessional mood rather than my usual ranting one.

How about you on these points?

1) Your own foray into tackiness.

Mine-- In the '90s I sported some petal bell boots carefully put together with alternating barn colors.

2) Your (surprising!) embrace of the new-fangled.

Mine-- black stirrup irons. I'm was a GM-type stick-in-the-mud with respect to flexible ones on aesthetic and functional grounds. My immortal stainless steel fillises will never die. But damn! Black boots, black irons and a dark horse side do look nice. I had no idea I could change.

Mine-- soft-shelled or otherwise updated hunt coats. I can't even belief myself!

3) The obligatory opportunity to defend and disparage.

Mine-- I bought (and monogrammed) my navajos precisely because they would last forever. They are and you can see me using 'em 10 years after their fashion peak.

Mine-- Techno helmets don't look all that good. Getting into a spending arms races for this or that emblem or stripe is nuts, you guys.

twotrudoc
Nov. 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
Foray into tackiness--I own(ed) the hot pink magenta Pessoa schooling pad.

I like bling. A lot. REALLY a lot. Everywhere.

I really, really ache for those loud Antares helmets that cost almost a grand. The blue one.

Mercy!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:04 PM

I have rubber-covered spurs that have strips of black vetwrap holding the rubber in place. They're my favorite spurs.

I showed in a pair of pull-on drawstring tights once. (I didn't know any better, but gawd.)

I desperately want a pair of the wildkart jin irons. The aluminum ones with extra wide footbeds. I might even go black instead of grey or silver. Still no bendy stuff for me.

And I adore the snap collar shirts, and love love love shirts with contrast trim in the collar/cuffs.

Low rise breeches by TS. Euroseat in all colors for schooling and their brand new cotton fabric in the standard lowrise cut for showing. As a jumper that doesn't wear a jacket every time in the ring and being short-waisted the low rise is both more comfortable and gives better proportion.

I bought a new navajo last year and am still using my other one since I was a little kid. The new one keeps getting better and softer the more I wish it and use it. (Plus it's the perfect black and chocolate with white trim that looks fab on my bright bay horse.)

I'm planning on bringing brown back. Helmet, jacket, gloves and BOOTS (all in a shade of chocolate). As soon as the boots to come in I'll be showing in brown every chance I get. This black/navy as the one true way just makes me sad.

CBoylen
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:15 PM
1) I own a pink eared flymask. Unfortunately, I no longer own a mare that wears a flymask. One of my geldings spends the summer looking a bit metrosexual.
2) I broke down after many years and have zippers in my field boots. If they ever break at an inopportune time, everyone WILL be hearing about it.
3) -I (very, very) reluctantly gave up on the crocheted pommel pads, that I grew up with and love and adore. I am not giving up my half pads, my short legs have grown too accustomed to those extra few inches of horse.
- Your horse's coat should sparkle. Not any other part of him. Particularly his feet or his mane. Please.

Let's_Motor
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
Ah, yes, we all owned Navajo pads circa 1992, but did any of you also have Navajo print polo wraps that MATCHED said Navajo pad? I was sure those were the coolest thing EVER all through my early teens. I can't believe I put those on my poor horse.

SunBelle
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:21 PM
In the 90s, I schooled my junior hunter in polos, bell boots, an ear bonnet and a figure eight noseband. I thought we looked like the bad *ss jumpers. No one told me we were being ridiculous.

I have never really fully embraced the new fangled.

I still have a navajo pad that was given to me in 1995. That person had already had it for 10-20 yrs, so it is ancient, but it looks as good as new.

Indy
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:01 PM

My schooling crop at home is bright green. It doesn't leave the barn, but if I need a bat at home, out comes the green one. It is ugly, but that is the reason I own it - nobody steals an ugly crop. And if they do, I know it's mine so I can get it back.

Low rise breeches. Gd bless them, they make my short-waisted body not look like I'm a head on a pair of breeches.

I also really want a brown hunt coat but I can't justify owning a second one...but as soon as I save my pennies I will own a coat that isn't navy blue.

I love those old Navajo pads! I always wanted one as a kid, honestly now if I had the opportunity to get one I think I'd use it. It can't be tackier than the crazy polo wraps the kids at the barn put all over their ponies.

And my leather gloves, the ones with the holes in the palms? Yeah, those ones...they're comfortable and they fit so leave me alone. I have stubby little kiddy hands and a hard time finding gloves I like so until I find a new pair that fits the same as these, the holey ones stay. The judge can't see the palms of my hands...hopefully....

As far a disparaging...I'm sorry, but those Euroseat breeches just look weird. Who wants a giant seam on their ass?

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
I love those old Navajo pads! I always wanted one as a kid, honestly now if I had the opportunity to get one I think I'd use it.

As far a disparaging...I'm sorry, but those Euroseat breeches just look weird. Who wants a giant seam on their ass?

Navajo pad can be picked up at big feed stores. I got my second one for $7.99. And you can re-fold it and use four clean sides before washing.

As far a euroseat breeches.... they're not really different from full seats, just the same fabric with a smaller seam.

flogarty
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
If I had pink TS britches, I would wear them.

SarahandSam
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:34 PM
People use Navajos as English saddle blankets? Call me about to jump on the tackiness bandwagon then! I never see this done at my barn, and I've only been riding a few years, so I wasn't aware that people did this... Navajos are so much cheaper than saddle pads, and easy to wash! Think I might go pick up a couple and bring tacky back to my barn... plus I can use them with my western saddle, too. (:

I wear my bright citron green plastic schooling helmet for trail rides and schooling... I try to wear my nicer black IRH Elite for lessons, but sometimes it's just quicker and easier... and I don't have to put my hair up in a hairnet under the green helmet. d;

I own and use all the following things: a polka dot saddle pad, sage green polos, a bling browband, a western headstall with big gemstones on the browband, breeches made out of denim, and blue sparkly breeches. I also show up for lessons in a giant orange safety vest, as we have to ride through the woods during hunting season to the lesson barn.

My pet tacky peeve is hair loose under a helmet. I think for lessons it should be up neatly, preferably in a hairnet, but I also don't mind it in a ponytail when schooling or on trails... but when people don't even do a ponytail, and just leave it completely loose (talking chin length or longer), that makes me cringe.

I will say that I prefer the traditional look; I'll bust out the tacky stuff, but mostly for fun around the barn, and occasionally for a lesson when I'm riding a cute fuzzy pony, and sparkly breeches and polka-dot saddle pads seem apropos. Most of the time for lessons, I at least try to have a tucked-in shirt, normal breeches, relatively clean boots and chaps, a belt, a non-eye-popping saddle pad, etc.

Oh, and I think manes should either be neatly pulled or grown-in fully, but I chopped my horse's with scissors before our last schooling show--tres tacky! But it was super-uneven before, and really, you only would notice it if he drops his head. Or so I tell myself. I'm going to pull it and even it out one of these days. d;

Haalter
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
Techno helmets don't look all that good. Getting into a spending arms races for this or that emblem or stripe is nuts, you guys.Amen. I was just looking through a catalog with GPA, Antares, CO, etc and was struck with the memory that as a fashion-conscious child of the 80s, black harnesses were considered SOOOO tacky! Now you're hard pressed to find a helmet WITHOUT a black harness at the biggest shows! Oh, what I wouldn't do to have a noggin that fit into a (relatively speaking) pretty tan-harnessed CO Hampton without looking like a bobblehead!

My tacky pet peeve: The round bridle tags. They're horses, people, not dogs.

AndNirina
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
In the 90's I rocked blue Ulster boots on my horse (gotta love the waffle-y goodness of Ulsters), matching blue and grey navajo pad, matching grey fringe chaps with blue piping. I'm sure my poor horse was thrilled.

I also loved the sound of Westropp boots. We put them on not because the horses needed them, but because we could color-coordinate the petals. They were sort of like Swatch guards for hooves. Dover or Smartpak had them listed a few catalogs ago as a new item. I cackled to myself and continued to thumb through the catalog.

Heythrop made the best foxhead buttons, Harry Hall had the best rust breeches. These things I miss and still covet.

Now, my fat mare has a pink girth sock. She wears it partly because it was a gag gift from a friend and partly because it really does give her a touch of feminity. Did I mention that it's pony-sized? It adds to its glory.

War Admiral
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:47 PM
1) I own - cough - a leopard-print halter. (It's an in-joke and rarely sees the light of day except for photos for friends.)

2) Gotta go with the zippered boots. They RULE.

3) Rust breeches. Disparage as you may, I feel no need to defend them to anybody! :winkgrin:

EMWalker
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:37 PM
1) I flat my hunter in a gag or a 3 ring. He's green. He has a hard mouth and needs to learn to stand up on his own. (And just for you MVP) So shoot me! ;)

2) Euro seam breeches. Hell, my butt looks good in them!

3) I like sparkle belts and colored breeches for schooling. Tan gets old! And my trainer hates anything that stands out so it's my own way to turn my nose up at him ... Just a little. :)

billiebob
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
1. My foray into tackiness? Ummmm....exhibit A http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2437788160105464652aQbwTP
Exhibit B http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2727407910105464652ytPkHa (pink argyle on a GELDING hee hee hee)
My ride today included those lovely Western chaps, blingy browband, and plaid baby pad. With crochet gloves and hunter hair, of course :D Let's not even get started on his ladybug print flymask that's also encrusted with rhinestones....or the skull and crossbones baby pad that MUST be worn with flame print polos (hope this link works http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=736890&id=196976279954#!/photo.php?fbid=229944065037&set=t.751565037)
ETA forgot his everyday halter is navy with a celestial print ribbon--gold stars and moons, customized by my awesome mother!

2. I love most technical fabrics. Boots with zippers and elastic running along said zippers are a godsend for my high instep/normal ankle/ginormous calf combo.

3. I refuse to defend my safety stirrups. Or the pink turnouts--it's really nice to be able to find my horse in the dark (seriously). Plus, for some reason no one at the barn wants to steal my stuff :lol:

10000 Bits
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:08 PM
Let me start my saying this was in the early 90's...
ME: Purple full chaps with fringe and teal trim and a purple sweatshirt with teal sleeves
HORSE: 2 Purple & 2 Teal polo wraps alternating legs of course. White saddle pad with purple trim and teal piping AND a purple and teal monogram.
Worn together, of course, much to my mother's chargrin.

2) Your embrace of the new-fangled.
Roekel Solar gloves, they are are amazing and keep my sweaty hands cool year round. Also contemplating a new soft-shell jacket, they sound too good to be true.

3) The obligatory opportunity to defend and disparage
Brushing is what will get your horse shiny. Coat sprays are for cheaters.

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
1) I have a few pairs of colored SSG gloves for schooling (like bright red and dark blue). I cringe when my black pairs give out and I have to wear my colored ones until my new ones come in the mail.

I also sometimes ride in full seat breeches, especially during my busy weeks when I spend 30+ hours in the saddle. Full seats just seem to hold up better!

2) I used to LOATHE the GPA helmets when they first came out- now I won't ride in anything else.

3) I LOVE brown boots, brown velvet helmets and brown leather gloves. I also am going to try to wear a vintage tweed hacking jacket to a schooling show for the hell of it.

I HATE seeing 8 year olds wearing shads ( or anyone wearing shads but not wearing other formal attire). Shads and paddock boots are irritating. I would much rather the pony riders at least wear tall boots if they are going to wear shads.

RugBug
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:18 AM

I wear American Flag print SSG gloves as my grooming gloves. They also used to be my schooling gloves. Not surprisingly, they never go missing. :lol:

I have one bridle with a tag on it. The bridle is 25 years old as is the tag. I recently bought about 6 more tags...but not for bridles. ;) I'm using them to mark my blankets at the barn. :lol:

I have spur charms. I've always thought the little clown fish was adorable but would never buy them as I KNOW they are tacky. But I won a pair (stars, unfortunately) and I did put them on my spurs. Not one person has noticed them.

I love my GPA. When I was shopping for a replacement from my old deer-skin harness helmet from the 80s, I was certain I was going to get a CO Hampton or ShowJumper. They were the most traditional of all the helmets. Well, I looked like a moron in both...and walked away with a GPA...that I still love many years later.

Half Chaps. It was either tall boots, full chaps or standing wraps when I was growing up. Half chaps were super dorky. (like wrapping your leg in standings isn't? :lol:). These days my half chaps get the most use of all my options.

I really dislike bridle plates behind the ear. It's looks awful to me.

The F.I.T.S. breeches. Why anyone, even those with nice hindquarters, would want leather patches to draw focus there is beyond me.

Helmet covers. I go to a lot of little schooling shows and the proliferation of velvet helmet covers is astounding. The look A-W-F-U-L...especially if they are covering up a Tipperary. :lol:

I'm thinking I might go pull my navajos out of the storage tack trunk. They should be just the right thickness under my new saddle. Maybe I'll pull out my White with royal blue striped Ulsters as well. Never did do the petal boots (although there is someone in our barn that has used her alternating colored ones recently).

Peggy
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:25 AM
Tackiness: I kind of like jumper hats, my latest purchase being one in barn colors. For a 3' hunter/eq horse whose only forays into the jumper ring are to practice for eq. I own a sparkly crop because I know it's mine (and it will never leave the barn and go to a show) and a yellow lunge line that no one borrows.

Embrace: Euro seat breeches. Yes they seem pointless and somewhat dressage-y but I like the fit and comfort of my FITS (the knee patch kind, not the baboon-seat kind). Bendy black stirrups. Don't think I'll ever be in a eq final judged by GM.

Disparage: Bright metal buttons on hunt coats used for eq/hunters.

Oh, AndNirina, this photo is for you. It was taken in the 80s.

fourmares
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:56 AM
Gosh, there are so many... I spent a season wearing suspenders, there were the brightly colored polo wraps, matching pad and polo shirts for low jumper classes days... schooling in full chaps over running shorts (mind you I was under 18, and it was in the late 80's), braiding the tail into lots of braids to make it wavy and fuller looking, braiding in colored yard in various bright tacky colors... now that I think of it all these are from the 80's and 90's

2) Your (surprising!) embrace of the new-fangled... ummm, I can't think of one... I wore a borrowed skunk helmet once when they changed the rules to include adults in the ASTM helmet rule and I didn't have one.

Skunk helmets are ugly, and no one should spend that much to wear a big advertisment on their head. (I'm talking about the hood ornament / emblems that they all have).
I love my navahos too. I have a ton of them.

mvp
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:55 AM
1. My foray into tackiness? Ummmm....exhibit A http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2437788160105464652aQbwTP
Exhibit B http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2727407910105464652ytPkHa (pink argyle on a GELDING hee hee hee)

....Or the pink turnouts--it's really nice to be able to find my horse in the dark (seriously). Plus, for some reason no one at the barn wants to steal my stuff :lol:

Jesus, you are brave. I hope these pics don't come back to bite you in the butt at some Senate hearing later on.

The royal blue stripe on the hunt cap does match the standards and poles. Nice.

And your pink, argyle and dirt colored blanket... it is functional, I'll give you that.

copper1
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
I am a traditionalist at heart but I do make forays into the wild side!
Giraffe print schooling pad that I do school in at shows! Love it!
Short hair and I don't care if I don't have the hunter hair as I am NOT fooling around with panty hose or anything else to make it look like I have it!
No padding on my saddle, a plain close contact Ainsley that I love!

I do have a GPA speedaire for showing-love it though it took me a while to get used to the skunk and bug eye look of GPA's

Still use navajo blankets-love them and the colors!

Brown looks good on the right colored horse and rust breeches on a slimmer rider.

Love the snap shirts and want some but don't like the piping on jackets-didn't way back them either

International Arabian Horse in Sport

sansibar
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:32 AM

My "disco-stick" crop, hehe, it is a variety of sparkley pastel coloured gimp wrapped into the ultimate beating stick. I love the thing, luckily I show in the jumpers so I don't need to put black electrical tape on it to hide the sparkleyness lol.

Here it is (you cant really see its sparkleyness though :( )
Photo (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs626.snc4/58587_10150271256550314_500990313_14710308_5518966 _n.jpg)
Action shot of it (the reason I love it so much!) (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs700.snc4/62004_10150275536405314_500990313_14805093_6910557 _n.jpg)

Also my horses large collection of hats!
It has grown since this photo, I think he has about 10 now! (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs305.ash2/58526_10150269934740314_500990313_14673381_1894443 _n.jpg)
And of course his rhinestoned bonnet! (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs325.ash2/60550_10150271255900314_500990313_14710276_7495201 _n.jpg)

Think GM would approve of our sparkley/glitteryness :P

I hated the speed air helmets, said they were the tackiest thing to touch this earth. Now I am sporting one.

Black stirrup irons, I thought they were tacky now I can't ride without my royal riders!

Euroseat Breeches, I thought they were a terrible idea, until I put them on, now that is all I ride in!

Good ol' white show shirts. I can't stand colourful show shirts. They have invented those white ones with colourful collars so no need to wear colours on the outside.

Lucassb
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:01 AM

Welllll... years ago I did ride in a (then-popular) skull cap + helmet cover. In barn colors. With ... yes... a color coordinated POM POM on top. And no, I was not an eventer. Gah.

I really cannot believe it, but I LOVE the new snap-collar shirts and will never go back to the traditional ratcatcher. Despite the fact that I LOVE monogrammed stuff, and the snap collars are nearly impossible to monogram. (I get the embroidered letters at the craft store to sew on instead.)

I also really like the euroseat/low rise breeches (which hit me d@mn close to my natural waist, FWIW.)

Also - I am really a fan of the T-sport wraps. Even though they have to be hand washed. And can't be embroidered. (Did I mention I love monograms? Yes, even on my polo wraps.)

Speaking of leg protection... I also really like open front boots with stud closures instead of buckles. Go figure.

I have a wild pair of full chaps from back when they were obligatory for any hunter princess. Full fringe, leopard trim, the whole nine yards. I want full chaps to make a comeback. The custom half chaps I got, in an effort to cheer myself up, are just not the same.

faraway46
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
1) I own - cough - a leopard-print halter. (It's an in-joke and rarely sees the light of day except for photos for friends.)
....I have SHOWN in a leopard print saddle pad for a full year, including the International Haras El Capricho show...
It was part of a "don't you dare!" moment with my classically boring, never out of the box, trainer. I had it custom made for the barn and he said "get rid of that...you have to win everything to pull that off". I told him not only I would wear it but win in it. Luckily I did (if not he would have told me "I told you so" way into the next century!) So from now on he has learned to suggest things to me and not flounder up a "I dare you" situation by ordering me around...:winkgrin:
By the way, since that turned out to be a very good show season, he was convinced it was a lucky charm and grew fond of the thing, saying at one point "it doesn't look THAT bad...". :winkgrin:

faraway46
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:10 AM
...besides the leopard print saddle pad.
My excuse is that we latinas don't go quietly (and obviously not classically, either...) but, tacky or not, I stand by my bling!
Here are pics:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/566433412bscHWu

fordtraktor
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:25 AM
1) I wear whatever I have around to ride at home. No one sees me, so I rock the cheap Troxel helmet, 20 year old light grey chaps that used to be navy, Carharrt jacket with broken zipper I won at an AQHA show in 1992, ponytail out, in summer shorts under those chaps, faded saddle pads, and yes, navajos on occasion when they are the ones that are clean. Horses are shiny and healthy and tack is very clean and safe, what else matters? I clean up when people are looking. The horse's well-being is #1 and I don't cut corners there, but matchy-matchy is obviously not my thing.

I have a bright hunter green hunt coat and have worn it when it was definitely not cool. But it is an awesome color on a chestnut or grey and while not in fashion, I don't believe I've ever been penalized for it. I bought it in the early 90s at a consignment sale at the Va Horse Center -- it was quite aged then. I don't want to know how old it actually is, but it is still gorgeous. I sometimes wear it with rust!

2) I loff my Supracor pads. I have 2 sizes and colors. I wonder if my Supracor love is based on the extra inch of height they give me on my boys, who are both under 16h. I am very tall. Hmmm. Either way they are great.

3) I don't get Speed Airs and their ilk. Why spend so much money for something so ugly? If you want "so ugly it's chic" join me with my $39.99 Troxel, it's just as safe and comfy. But even I have a CO Hampton for when I go out in public.

mvp
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:45 AM
1) I flat my hunter in a gag or a 3 ring. He's green. He has a hard mouth and needs to learn to stand up on his own. (And just for you MVP) So shoot me! ;)

2) Euro seam breeches. Hell, my butt looks good in them!

3) I like sparkle belts and colored breeches for schooling. Tan gets old! And my trainer hates anything that stands out so it's my own way to turn my nose up at him ... Just a little. :)

Ha ha! Thanks for the personal tough. Far be it from me to rag on someone trying to maintain "tacky" and "cute butt" all at the same time. My life is just about governed by both efforts.

Now Lucassb on the other hand....

Welllll... years ago I did ride in a (then-popular) skull cap + helmet cover. In barn colors. With ... yes... a color coordinated POM POM on top. And no, I was not an eventer. Gah.

I really cannot believe it, but I LOVE the new snap-collar shirts and will never go back to the traditional ratcatcher. Despite the fact that I LOVE monogrammed stuff, and the snap collars are nearly impossible to monogram. (I get the embroidered letters at the craft store to sew on instead.)

I also really like the euroseat/low rise breeches (which hit me d@mn close to my natural waist, FWIW.)

Also - I am really a fan of the T-sport wraps. Even though they have to be hand washed. And can't be embroidered. (Did I mention I love monograms? Yes, even on my polo wraps.)

Speaking of leg protection... I also really like open front boots with stud closures instead of buckles. Go figure.

I have a wild pair of full chaps from back when they were obligatory for any hunter princess. Full fringe, leopard trim, the whole nine yards. I want full chaps to make a comeback. The custom half chaps I got, in an effort to cheer myself up, are just not the same.

Satin skull cap in barn colors. Been there, done that and on purpose. I had to event a bit to justify it.

I'm with you on snap shirts on functional grounds. Monogramming is required, too. But sew on letters? You'd stoop to that non-custom low? And don't you have, like, 400 traditional ratcatchers all impossible to dump because of your embroidered monograms? That's my problem, anyway.

Do check out faraway46's link re: fancy legwear. Wow!

doublesstable
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:01 PM

1) Your own foray into tackiness -

Not TS - Grand Prix PINK BREECHES :lol: AND I DO WEAR THEM... (they were on sale for $25.00) I couldn't pass em up!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/15533_363315435057_744885057_999056.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/15533_363315385057_744885057_999055.jpg

Then they came in handy when I went in a Charity Breast Cancer research "Pink" show.. and hence the new pink stripes on the GPA. :lol:

2) Your (surprising!) embrace of the new-fangled -

Yes - broke down for the Royal Riders too! Being a traditionalist, rode in trainers saddle w/ the RR and they were really comfy.. don't tell anyone. I was a bit scared because I tried the new fangled HS jointed when they first were the thing and I didn't like them....

3) The obligatory opportunity to defend and disparage -

I still have my navajo pads that are probably 30 + years old and they are still kickin. AND I still ride in them.... One even has my old horses hair in it that passed away in 2007 - - I miss my boy!

PaintPony
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:05 PM
Oh my God. This is giving me 80's and 90's flashbacks. I was SO tacky.

I had decided that my first pony looked GREAT in royal blue. Ug. So for an in-barn show one time I used a royal blue and white navajo pad, wore a royal blue sweater, and I braided (badly) with royal blue yarn. :eek: I got a lot of surprised looks. At the time I thought it was because I was so awesome. :lol:

I also wore one of those lycra helmet covers with the bow that tied over the brim (everyone at my barn wore them). Did the full chaps over bicycle shorts thing too. My trainer HATED that!

My large pony was a paint and I was obsessed with crazy polo wraps. My favorite were a pair of black and white checkered ones. Did I mention that the pony was BROWN and white? ;)

I am super conservative now, however I do ride in the black Charles Owen with the gray stripe. And I do have two pairs of half chaps. One is standard brown, but the other is navy blue with a pink stripe. Love them!

(my old navajo pads are still around - I use them as liners in my trunks)

Fillabeana
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:11 PM
Well, I still have the Westropp bell boots from the late 80s. I bought a white boot, and a navy blue boot, and of course, alternated. If they had a bright royal blue, I would have bought it but now I'm glad they only had navy.
In the late 90s I had a Percheron/TB that wore a size 3 shoe- so I used the Westropps. How else was I going to get a bell boot on him??!!

I haven't shown in ages, so my only helmet is a white Troxel.

My new mare is a funny shade of liver chestnut, with orangey dapples, so her legs already have the giraffe-print look- no need for giraffe print polos!

fordtraktor
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:26 PM
Did the full chaps over bicycle shorts thing too. My trainer HATED that!

Over bicycle shorts?! I have never heard of that! I just wear them over my regular shorts. Do you go for the gel crotch ones? Never thought of that, but am beginning to consider that it might have some potential for bareback on a sharkfin TB!!!!

mvp
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:27 PM
Let me start my saying this was in the early 90's...
ME: Purple full chaps with fringe and teal trim and a purple sweatshirt with teal sleeves
HORSE: 2 Purple & 2 Teal polo wraps alternating legs of course. White saddle pad with purple trim and teal piping AND a purple and teal monogram.
Worn together, of course, much to my mother's chargrin.

Purple and teal. Alternating polos. Custom fringed chaps.

Hey, if you had had all that, and a stick figure, and a nice-moving hunter, I would have had to hate you. There would have been no way around it. That's just what mean "have not" girls in the purple-and-teal era did.

I'll have you know, that I did own a pair of custom chaps meant to give people like you the finger:

Teal, black stripes, yoke, and calf patches. Silver piping. Silver buckle and conchas everywhere. A subtle monogram with silver thread, and I think a raised-- ankles, even. Some kind of raised section on the belt-- all that with some alternating combo of teal and black leather and silver piping.

I looked like one of those T&A chicks you'd see on a drawn on a pinball machine. Traded those for a saddle. Man, I'd still wear 'em if I had em.

equidae
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:56 PM

When I was 17-18 (in 2004), I packed up my green hunt coat along with a SHOW BOW to my first set of shows with my horse. I was going to actually wear the bow until one of the barn ladies told my mother that I'm a little 'too old' for a show bow and to NOT DO IT! :lol: I honestly had no idea as I'd never shown as a junior.

I love the look of the rubberized flexible stirrups.. the Herm Sprengers.. Usually I'm strictly opposed to anything other than regular Fillis style.

I can't help it but I LOVE the look of the older style GPA's with the silver or black stripes. Just love GPA's!

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:12 PM
Tackiness: I'm relatively conservative, but I will note that I own a white jumper bonnet with shiny multi-color beads. It's actually functional--the beads give it just the amount of weight to hang down properly over the forehead, instead of flipping up. Horse is a hunter, and I swear he sighs with enduring patience when I put it on him.

I have been known to enter the jumper ring wearing my favorite pair of schooling breeches, which are Kerrits microcord tights. Love that panel in front that keeps my beer gut in. :lol:

Embrace: I want a snap-collar shirt and one of the new jackets so badly. The cheepy in me, however, realistically notes that I show but a handful of times a season and that I already have several perfectly good shirts and jackets. Sigh.

Obligatory rant: I hated Navahos in the 80s and I still dislike them. I will note, however, that they make terrific throw rugs in my bathroom. :winkgrin:

HorsRdr477
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:29 PM

Not TS - Grand Prix PINK BREECHES :lol: AND I DO WEAR THEM... (they were on sale for $25.00) I couldn't pass em up!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/15533_363315435057_744885057_999056.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/15533_363315385057_744885057_999055.jpg

I am insanely jealous right now!!

Hunter Mom
Nov. 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
We went to a show at a bigger venue recentlly, and DD insisted on using the slightly-too-big, purple glittery halter that Santa brought her last year. Our trainer was far less than excited. Haven't been back into horses long enough to go all out tacky, though.

billiebob
Nov. 14, 2010, 04:07 PM
Jesus, you are brave. I hope these pics don't come back to bite you in the butt at some Senate hearing later on.

The royal blue stripe on the hunt cap does match the standards and poles. Nice.

And your pink, argyle and dirt colored blanket... it is functional, I'll give you that.

No political aspirations whatsoever, so I think I'm OK.

Barn colors are royal and yellow. My trainer did approve of the blue helmet stripe, but that helmet bit the dust and I now have a plain black IRH.

The pink blanket is thinsulate-lined 1200 denier and I paid $30 for it. Can't beat that! Everyone makes fun of him (can't imagine why :lol:) but it makes me smile on dreary winter days!

Sometimes I think I was a western pleasure princess in a former life......

PaintPony
Nov. 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
I wore cotton bike shorts (not spandex:eek:) during the summer under my full chaps. I also used to do it with jean shorts. Guess I thought I would stay cool that way. (I also had a much smaller ass back then) :lol:

I have no idea how I didn't get bloody legs! Now if I don't wear tall boot socks under my jeans along with my half chaps I will get sores on my legs in under 5 minutes.:no:

Lucassb
Nov. 14, 2010, 06:51 PM
Ha ha! Thanks for the personal tough. Far be it from me to rag on someone trying to maintain "tacky" and "cute butt" all at the same time. My life is just about governed by both efforts.

Now Lucassb on the other hand....

Satin skull cap in barn colors. Been there, done that and on purpose. I had to event a bit to justify it.

I'm with you on snap shirts on functional grounds. Monogramming is required, too. But sew on letters? You'd stoop to that non-custom low? And don't you have, like, 400 traditional ratcatchers all impossible to dump because of your embroidered monograms? That's my problem, anyway.

Do check out faraway46's link re: fancy legwear. Wow!

Yeah, that is a problem with the snap on shirts. But without completely deconstructing them... you can't really monogram. Sigh. And yeah, I do have a whole closet of traditionally monogrammed ratcatchers ... double sigh.

theinstigator
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:07 PM

I really need to scan some old photos. All of these examples are from the early 90's.

When I started riding I rocked....and I mean ROCKED.....my black spandex riding tights with a teal stripe down the side with my black rubber boots and my matching black/teal helmet cover on my loud grey/black/white appaloosa. I remember having a black/teal/white Navajo pad that I used, too.

The first schooling show I went to off the farm, I rode one of the barn's horses (a beautiful bay mare) in a red shaped saddle pad and red girth cover that my instructor supplied. Mind you, I had a black synthetic saddle and Navy coat on.

I remember wearing my nylon 4-H "winter coat" all the time at the hunter shows. It was royal blue and yellow and horrible.

When I was more engulfed in hunter land, I used to drive my trainer crazy by using alternating, loudly colored polos with a matching pad and matching shirt. I looked ridiculous, but MAN I thought I was cool.

I really wanted to hate French saddles after a bad experience with a Butet when they first came out. But I LOVE my Childeric.

I also love my IRH Elite helmet that I bought to use for everyday riding (to save my CO for shows).

I still ride, almost daily, in my custom full chaps that I saved and saved and saved for and purchased on my own in 1997. I will continue to wear them until they die but they seem to be indestructible. :D

Oh, and I miss my old Letterman style barn jacket. ;)

ET's Home
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:16 PM

Well, I don't think it is tacky but my trainer HATES this bridle: http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/etho098731/Misc/IMG_0577.jpg
It's a patent leather race bridle, perfect on her classic TB head. The picture was from a schooling jumper show 2 years ago. Yes those are pink polos (she can wear pink, you won't see me in pink). I pulled the bridle out for HITS this year and trainer would not let me leave the barn with it:sadsmile:

I hate fads and will run the other way if 'everyone else is doing it'. When I had to replace the helmet in pic above, everyone was wearing CO's. Tried everything else on my fat head (7 5/8!) and hated them all, until the CO Hampton. Love it.
Tried on breeches at a show last year on a lark, they were almost $300 and who really spends that much on riding pants?! Absolutely fell in love with the fit, material and machine washability. Wore them at the next show and someone from my barn said 'oh, you got the Ciara Pikeur's, those are what everyone is wearing!' Really ruined it for me.

I don't disparage any one their taste and don't bother to defend my own.

SimonandGus
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
I have a pair of bright lime green polos with orange velcro.... ;p

TrakeGirl
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=Lucassb;5223072And yeah, I do have a whole closet of traditionally monogrammed ratcatchers ... double sigh.[/QUOTE]

Lucassb and MVP - PM me about the shirts you want to get rid of!!! Because...my favorite tacky thing is to buy used show shirts and rock whatever monogram comes with them! Seriously, every shirt I own has a different monogram. And none are mine.

pattnic
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:55 PM

Hmmm... I really don't think I've shown or owned my horses long enough to exhibit the truly tacky... well, I dunno. I did used to have a hunter green coat, and once upon a time, had no idea on proper hunter hair (ahh, the wonderful world of breed shows)... or even how to get it all under my helmet. Sadly, that was not all that long ago.

Probably the most tacky was the (relatively long) time period that I thought I was the sh*t as a rider. Looking back now, I realize just how much I thought I was much better rider than I really was.

I never thought I would like HS-style bendy stirrups, but I now have a pair, which have helped my knees quite a lot. But I still don't like the way they look.

Super-comfort iron pads. I thought they were stupid, but then I rode in friend's saddle that had them. Hey, they're pretty nice, too! Wider base for foot, and less knee pain. Yup, I have them now, too.

Charles Owen GR8: I used to hate the look of them, but I now need to replace mine. I would still (almost) never wear it in the hunter ring, though (schooling shows excepted). I wear mine for schooling, and I now think it looks odd to see people wear anything velvet-covered for schooling.

I've decided that I am now all about my image: blingy belts, ugly-cool hats, rust breeches... whatever, I can back that sh*t up (better than I could 10 years ago, anyway!). Yes, I did just horse-show while rocking rust.

That said, there are times when a lime (or pink, or lavendar) green stock tie and vest point with a shad are not appropriate (that would be ALL times, people!). Yes, I really saw this. And yes, I wanted to puke. But even more than that, I wanted to run to the office, pay an exorbitant fee to enter the class, just to show them about PROPER formal turnout... a shadbelly with canary vest. But honestly, it's pretty hopeless when the winner of a class is wearing BLUE breeches.

(Disclaimer: I would like to add here that rust *is* a traditional color, lest at my disparagement of blue breeches you say, "Ah, but you wore rust!")

pattnic
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:55 PM
Lucassb and MVP - PM me about the shirts you want to get rid of!!! Because...my favorite tacky thing is to buy used show shirts and rock whatever monogram comes with them! Seriously, every shirt I own has a different monogram. And none are mine.

You can come hang out with me anytime! :D

danceronice
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:45 PM

I've shown in tan schooling tights. Right now, I ride in jeans without half-chaps. (Works for me.) I'd mention the rust breeches and navy blue jacket but those appear to be coming back.

Hm. Well, I can't justify the expense right now but I really, really want a pair of boot-cut breeches. Even if they're not actually more comfortable than regular breeches they LOOK more comfortable. And certainly more flattering.

I LIKE riding in jeans, and they work just fine.

I refuse to pay more for my helmet than I did for my horse. The only fashion statement the expensive techno-toppers or skunk stripe helmets make to me is "I have way too much discretionary spending money and no imagination." (Really, if I had the $600 to blow on a GPA...well, I'd probably end up buying Lucky tons of kit he doesn't really NEED but would look very spiffy in. My Troxel will do for me but my HORSE, now... ;) )

mvp
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:02 PM
But even more than that, I wanted to run to the office, pay an exorbitant fee to enter the class, just to show them about PROPER formal turnout... a shadbelly with canary vest. But honestly, it's pretty hopeless when the winner of a class is wearing BLUE breeches.

Wait, what? A shadbelly with blue breeches?

If so, Armageddon is nigh. The locusts will come soon.

ET's Home
Nov. 15, 2010, 07:08 PM
1) Y

Hm. Well, I can't justify the expense right now but I really, really want a pair of boot-cut breeches. Even if they're not actually more comfortable than regular breeches they LOOK more comfortable. And certainly more flattering.

;) )

They really are more comfortable - I got a pair of soft soft cords on clearance in chocolate out of Dover, think they were by Ariat. For those of us with more 'ahem' hips, much more flattering.

danceronice
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:02 AM
They really are more comfortable - I got a pair of soft soft cords on clearance in chocolate out of Dover, think they were by Ariat. For those of us with more 'ahem' hips, much more flattering.

And I do have "ahem" hips ;) though a narrow waist ("the word you're looking for callipygian!"). Hate cords, but I might have to just bite the bullet on a pair of regular fabric....

pattnic
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:11 PM
Wait, what? A shadbelly with blue breeches?

If so, Armageddon is nigh. The locusts will come soon.

Nah, two different classes (though, really, I'm sure it's only a matter of time)... the one where the blue-breech-clad rider won, the rider was also sporting a black hunt coat and black shirt. It was a later class where I saw the lime green vest points and stock ties with shadbellies (but still with beige breeches, thank god)... and here I had been concerned that vest points made of Baker plaid would be too informal and non-traditional - HA!

caradino
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Your Own Foray Into Tackiness:
I own, and have used frequently:
-neon green saddle pad. i thought it looked amazing on the palomino i was leasing at the time.
-colored (hunter green and blue) plastic schooling helmets
-bright blue bat with a 'hand' at the end
-black spandex helmet cover that i used at schooling shows over the green plastic helmet
-black plastic 'rain cover' for velvet helmets
-uh, right now i have super nice fancy stitch reins on my el-cheap-o $50 bridle, which is an entirely different color to add insult to injury.
i'm going to stop now before i embarass myself.

Your Embrace of the New-Fangled
-LOW RISE EURO SEAT BRITCHES. i'm in love.
-when GPA's first came out i thought they were hideous. i now own one, and love it. it's the only helmet that doesn't make my tiny head look even tinier.

i have nothing to disparage or defend. :)

ponymom64
Nov. 16, 2010, 05:40 PM

LOL

DY.ING. Who knew? I must see these fringe-y, leopard chaps!!

worth_the_wait08
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:08 PM
My foray into tackiness

My first horse show- schooling tights, black suede half chaps with brown paddock boots, plastic helmet with helmet cover, and hair in a bun at the nape of my neck. No show bow though, thank god
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30048252&l=956e18b22b&id=1125720084

A lesson back in the day- red saddle pad, fuzzy headstall on the bridle, chaps that were way too big for me over tan leggings...not riding tights, leggings b/c my mom thought they were the same thing
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30164186&l=55138c8099&id=1125720084

Another lesson- long hair flying out behind my helmet, flat noseband on the bridle, the too-big chaps again...ugh
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30164188&l=dbac61fea2&id=1125720084

And just for comparison- this is how I dress for lessons now
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31004100&l=0c5eb6f850&id=1125720084

PNWjumper
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:34 PM
1) Your own foray into tackiness. Oh man, I've always embraced the trendy things....though I have never been a trendsetter, per se! :lol: A friend of mine posted a picture on FB of she and I and another friend at a schooling show in the late 80s. And boy do I remember the navajo pads (always worn under a shaped fleece pad, of course), alternating-barn-color petal bell boots, brass clincher browbands and nosebands (now making a comeback), and Ulster splint boots (my horse in this photo--the chestnut on the far right--is sporting my TRES COOL barn color (red & black) open fronts, though I was way more excited when I got the closed-front white-with-blue-stripe ones that I showed in for the rest of our years together....evidence can be found in the other jumping photos in that album of the chestnut with the white face):
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2836898110094686761HkNrZR#close
Oh, and how could I forget the collection of sweaters I had for clinics?! Because for some reason we felt that clinic = Bill Cosby sweater time.

And I have a nice little collection of full chaps. Pretty navy blue ones with red fringe and silver piping with a silver monogram on the belt. Conservative brown with tan piping, less conservative brown with brown fringe and green piping, green with tan fringe......I hope that full chaps come back into style too, though I have to admit that I've become quite fond of riding in half chaps. I always swear I'll wear my chaps when it gets cold, but I somehow never get around to pulling them out.

2) Your (surprising!) embrace of the new-fangled. I'm a jumper rider, so I don't think there's much that's surprised me about what I've embraced. I LOVE my GPA speed air (silver vents, no less!), I love my variety of browbands, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my softshell (i.e. waterproof and washable) hunt coat, and I will admit to wearing colored breeches in the show ring during the week. And the list goes on from there....

Oh! I do have one thing, though I can't claim to have worn them yet. I sent my Sergio Grasso boots off to get cuffs put on because they dropped just a hair too much for my liking. My instructions were "anything but patent leather" and they came back with......yep, you guessed it.....patent leather cuffs. I'm not a fan, but they fit so nicely that I may just throw them back into the rotation for fun :D Who knows, maybe I'll decide I like them someday???

3) The obligatory opportunity to defend and disparage. I'll admit that I still prefer the look of steel stirrups. I think black stirrups make the rider look really odd....like they're trying to pretend that they don't have stirrups at all or something. Not saying I won't join the bandwagon at some point (I also swore I'd never wear a GPA when the transition from hunt caps to current-day-helmets were taking place), but every now and again I'll be watching someone and trying to figure out what looks "odd," and it finally hits me that it's the "missing" stirrup.

PNWjumper
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:40 PM
I felt that a snapshot of my post-late-80s-tackiness deserved it's own post.....

Early 90s:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2803644310094686761uiFhRt

I had blue rubber reins, my blue/fleece girth, my blue bell boots, and my white closed-front ulsters (with blue stripes, natch). And if you flip to the next picture, you can see my lucky duct-tape blue whip (still in my tack trunk to be carried in big classes!).

And then, of course, my crochet-backed gloves. I couldn't have felt cooler if I'd tried :lol:
(hey, at least post-80s me realized that petal bellboots were TOO FREAKING ANNOYING to ride in!)

Thoroughbred1201
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:42 PM
[B]1) And boy do I remember the navajo pads (always worn under a shaped fleece pad, of course), alternating-barn-color petal bell boots, brass clincher browbands and nosebands (now making a comeback), and Ulster splint boots . . .Oh, and how could I forget the collection of sweaters I had for clinics?! Because for some reason we felt that clinic = Bill Cosby sweater time.

I'll admit that I still prefer the look of steel stirrups. I think black stirrups make the rider look really odd....like they're trying to pretend that they don't have stirrups at all or something. Not saying I won't join the bandwagon at some point (I also swore I'd never wear a GPA when the transition from hunt caps to current-day-helmets were taking place), but every now and again I'll be watching someone and trying to figure out what looks "odd," and it finally hits me that it's the "missing" stirrup.

LOL. What do you mean fad? We were CLASSIC in the 80s, LOL. Still have my western pad. And the petal bell boots? Oh, yeah! And Ulsters were elegant, not faddy!

Now what about the 70s? Polo wraps instead of chaps or half chaps. Or suede chaps and nike tennis shoes? And the advent of FLAT saddles. I started riding just as the Hermes type came in.

two sticks
Nov. 18, 2010, 12:40 PM

I still have and regularly use several Navajo pads. Love them! My gelding sports baby blue eskies, is that tacky? My saddle is currently patched with duct tape covered with masking tape (the masking tape "blends in" a little better... :lol:) and will remain this way until the distant future when I can afford to replace saddle, since the cost of repairing saddle is about 3 x the value of said saddle.

Here we are in all of our, navajo, blue eskies, blue schooling breeches glory (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523063495788&set=a.517649690098.2021214.138701526)

I have 2.

#1- Herm Springer stirrups with cheese grater pads. Were a generous gift and I LOFF them... my knees and back will never go back to anything else.

#2 GPA- i forever thought they were hideous and could not imagine spending that kind of dough on a helmet. Then one day I borrowed trainers and realized it was possible to ride more than one horse without getting the forehead pressure headache (I have an extremely round head). Found a textium on clearance (round AND tiny head) and can't imagine going back to the headache inducing helmets of the past.

Navajos. See #1. Especially because horse laundry involves a trip to the laundrymat. Navajos= 4 clean sides! ;)

Hunterlover17
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:15 PM

My husband bought me pink TS's this year for my birthday...I love them! :D

Plumcreek
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
Tackiness:
My horse show lunge line is RED. Very RED. When I leave it at the ingate area after getting on the horse, and forget to grab it on my way back to the stalls, it will still be there when I remember it. No one else wants it.

(Oh, western shows allow lunging in the arenas during early morning schooling. Makes things very intersting.)

FineAlready
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:41 PM
[B]1) Oh, and how could I forget the collection of sweaters I had for clinics?! Because for some reason we felt that clinic = Bill Cosby sweater time.

Oh goodness, I just laughed out loud. So true, so sadly, sadly true.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:59 PM
Personal forage into the tacky: When I first started taking lessons in the early 90's: hunter green polyester/nylon show coat. Street boots as tall boots before I could afford real ones. And everything I bought for my horses, barn, etc was either bright kelly or hunter green.

Surprising embrace of the new fangled: Low rise breeches. Love them, can't live without them. Don't know how I survived all those years with breeches that came up to my armpits. 1/2 chaps. GPA helmet for DD. Both of us swore we'd never pay that outrageous price for a 'skunk' helmet, but when she needed a new one it was the best fit for her and looked fabulous on her. And I am now the proud owner of a an IRH Air 10, which is basiclly a CO AYR8 knockoff, and I swear I'll never wear another style helmet again. LOVE it!

Obligitory chance to defend and disparage: Paid a fortune for custom tall boots with zippers. Love them and refuse to ever apologize for them. They work for my big calves, tiny ankles, and high arches. And I have a drawer full of monogrammed stocks and will wear them.

Despise the "navy coat / white shirt" uniform. Miss the old days of seeing lovely browns, greens and olives on chestnuts and bays, blues and greys on greys, etc.

And the "lay on the neck and duck" style of riding in the childrens/jr's ranks.

Peggy
Nov. 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
Tackiness:
My horse show lunge line is RED. Very RED. When I leave it at the ingate area after getting on the horse, and forget to grab it on my way back to the stalls, it will still be there when I remember it. No one else wants it.

(Oh, western shows allow lunging in the arenas during early morning schooling. Makes things very intersting.)No one wants my yellow one that I made myself either. Except some dumb neighborhood kid who took it from outside the lunging ring at the local public ring. It was there for maybe two hours while I rode over to take a lesson. Then he seemed to think he was entitled to a reward when I reclaimed it.:rolleyes:

The warmup situation at breed shows is interesting. I got profuse thanks from a few amateurs when I reset their practice trail obstacle. Apparently if I hadn't stepped forward they would have gotten off their horses to reset it and then figured out how to get back on in tight show clothes. In 100°F heat.

JustABay
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
[/QUOTE], and how could I forget the collection of sweaters I had for clinics?! Because for some reason we felt that clinic = Bill Cosby sweater time. [/QUOTE] PS, I'm impaired and can't figure out how to quote PWNJumper properly. Durr

AHAHAHA!!!! YESSS!!!

I think I borrowed all of mine from my dad :uhoh: What was I thinking??

I also had some fantabulous gear, I had navy blue full chaps, and the obligatory Cosby seater, usually with a turtleneck sporting something horsey. Or I'd have some hideous 80's shirt with a rearing unicorn or horse head on it. Class-y. :rolleyes:

Let's not forget my pancake saddle with my colorful shaped pad underneath, keyhole pad and my old flat garage sale bridle with my eggbutt snaffle :lol:

I also used to wear stretchy tights with tall rubber boots because we were broke and I couldn't afford breeches and boots until I started showing. Oh, and the colored helmet covers? I had about 10. And somehow I never managed to match them to what I was wearing!