PDA

View Full Version : .

Touch~of~Gold
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:01 PM

leilatigress
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
*Flips through the pics of herself showing western pleasure and showmanship.* I don't think I'm qualified to answer that one.... Monogrammed bags are not tacky to me that is smart investment. My tack trunk has my initials engraved on it.

ExJumper
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:18 PM
Why on earth would monogramming be considered tacky? If I ever have kids I plan on monogramming them -- much easier to keep track of. Especially where people stick to the same barn colors, monogramming is essential.

Am I missing something?

meupatdoes
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
Why on earth would monogramming be considered tacky? If I ever have kids I plan on monogramming them -- much easier to keep track of. Especially where people stick to the same barn colors, monogramming is essential.

Am I missing something?

OK...., but may I suggest a tattoo rather than a monogram? :lol:

ExJumper
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
OK...., but may I suggest a tattoo rather than a monogram? :lol:

Perhaps why I should REALLY think about having kids. I would totally monogram them. And lock them in the bathroom with the dogs when I'm bringing in groceries. I don't suppose you can train them to poo outside, can you?

PNWjumper
Nov. 12, 2010, 05:11 PM
I don't suppose you can train them to poo outside, can you?

If you have boys that is not a problem....

Bluesy
Nov. 12, 2010, 06:32 PM
What's Tacky?

A tack?

nickers@dawn
Nov. 12, 2010, 06:35 PM
If you have boys that is not a problem....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: So true, so true.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
What do you guys consider "tacky" in the hunter/jumper world? I showed up at my first show with my new barn with a monogrammed bridle bag, and a monogrammed saddle bag:eek: Please share!:)

I wasn't aware of this being tacky? Unless said bridle and saddle bag were neon orange and hot pink with metallic zebra piping and the monograms done in yellow?

Someday when I stop buying things I'm in love with like belts and brown tall boots and helmets and jackets.... I'm all for a matching set of carriers... one for jacket, one for boots, one for bridles (to end up being stuffed in a tack trunk but keeps bridles clean, untangled and in good shape) maybe even a carryall to match too.

I can't really say much since I have two of the things, but I think using a plastic stanley or rubbermaid as a show truck is slightly tacky. (But it's SOOOO easy when it has a pull out handle and is on wheels. You almost don't care what it looks like.)

Things that I really find yucky and tacky:
Bad braids. Loose ends not tucked into keepers. Mismatched tack bits (like light colored this, dark that, but not just saddle and girth one color and bridle/martingale another, that doesn't bother). Dogs running loose. Dogs caged for 12 hours a day at shows without shavings or mulch or some other bedding. Wild colored or printed halters/leads. People that are nasty to their horses. And rude people.

CBoylen
Nov. 12, 2010, 06:49 PM
Handwalking horses at the show in their stable clothes with shavings in their tails. Why is no one stopping these people on their way out of the barn?

Bridle bags don't so much say tacky as they do "Hi, I'm new". :)

Bluesy
Nov. 12, 2010, 06:54 PM
Tack is also tacky and tackish.

lcw579
Nov. 12, 2010, 07:06 PM
My mother in law?

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 12, 2010, 07:10 PM
My mother in law?

Where's the Like button?

dags
Nov. 12, 2010, 07:19 PM
blatant tack nosebands?

chloelovesyou1
Nov. 12, 2010, 08:52 PM
Printed polo wraps that match the printed saddle pad and printed halter (obviously with a palm tree print on it with lime green and hot pink...)...

chloelovesyou1
Nov. 12, 2010, 08:52 PM
My mother in law?

That made my day!!!

BeeHoney
Nov. 12, 2010, 09:27 PM

Ok, I must be missing something here? I like to pack bridles in bags before I put them in a trunk for travel. I think they are quite handy to protect nice bridles in transit and keep them from getting tangled/mixed up.

And lcw579, you are spot on about mother-in-laws. Definitely better to ride in a matching neon palm tree saddle pad and polo wrap set rather than have a mother-in-law around, IME.

horsemom17
Nov. 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
My mother in law?

ROFL!! I died laughing when I read this!! LIKE LIKE LIKE :)

Somermist
Nov. 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
My mother in law?

Thanks, I needed that.:lol::lol:

PoochPaddock
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
Dogs running loose. Dogs caged for 12 hours a day at shows without shavings or mulch or some other bedding.

THIS! And add to it: Horse shows that allow the loose dogs.

doublesstable
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Did the new barn you went to look at you funny when you brought your bridle bags? If they did, maybe it was because you must have them in "their" colors. I know the barn I was at if you don't have the "stuff" and "colors" they want, they will "rent" it to you if you don't purchase it.

I use bridle bags and saddle covers..... keeps stuff clean and organized.

What I think is tacky in the H/J world - riders that ride like crud and have all this new fancy stuff in crazy colors....

I read something the other day and agree with it - I think it was George M.

"I don't like distracting colors on horses it takes away from the focus on the horse. They are beautiful; don't distract from that with crazy tack and colors."

I think this is where traditional colors and equipment come in and I agree. I think it's okay to have a simple pop of something different that is still classic. Maybe a pretty belt with conserative polo and tan breeches.... I think it gives a professional look vs the crazy colors.

I don't mind barn colors like blankets, leads, saddle covers, buckets, rakes in the same "conservative" colors..... but not a fan of over the top... To me it's like good design..... I like it timeless!

Woodsperson
Nov. 12, 2010, 11:09 PM
Orange tack is tacky. Take the time and oil it. New tack shouldn't look brand new. Oh yeah MIL is tacky too.

BNTHUNTER
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:33 AM
Im BNT (in my world that means Bridge N Tunnel not Big Name Trainer). I know from tacky :-) I live it and love it every day of my life.

My mounts have all been gifted with plush navy velour coolers with "Bridge N Tunnel" inscribed on the sides. If that aint tacky, I dont know what is.... :-)

indygirl2560
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
show bows! :dead:

Addison
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:57 AM
Well BNTHUNTER that not only depends on which side of the bridge or tunnel you live on but which bridge or tunnel!

Flash44
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:57 AM
It's tacky to criticize other people.

After all, what else are the manufacturers supposed to do with all that leftover clothing material from the 80s? Don't even try to pretend you did not have animal print spandex leggings.

theinstigator
Nov. 13, 2010, 09:56 AM

After all, what else are the manufacturers supposed to do with all that leftover clothing material from the 80s? Don't even try to pretend you did not have animal print spandex leggings.Sell it to the companies that makes Sleazy's and those Slinky shirts. Have you seen some of the patterns? LOL.

ETA: What's wrong with bridle bags? I use bags for everything when I'm transporting my gear to the show.....they keep the shaving dust off of all my clean tack.

Doctracy
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:13 AM
My hot pink Ariat Fat Babies that I wear when washing horses and packing the trailer MIGHT be considered tacky when I wear them with shorts.

Arrows Endure
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:17 AM
Bwahahaha! See, I had to come pop in on this thread from the endurance forum. You see, I am a trail rider who LOVES to do distance riding (Endurance, CTR, etc). Therefore, I am what you would quite likely call tacky!

My horse is bay. My saddle pad, bridle, breast collar, reins, and all other associated tack are BRIGHT blue. So are my buckets and picks and all that stuff. My ponies boots are bright orange (they didn't come in blue). That actually has a practicle application, if they fall off in the field, I can easily find them. But they are tacky. *grin*

I went to a little hunter/jumper schooling show a couple of weeks ago in my tacky blue stuff, because that's all I have. I also don't own tall boots or a jacket, so I was in breeches, paddock boots, and a nice sweatshirt as it was chilly. We were there for the experience for my young horse, so who cares what we wore.... Except those that had to look at me anyway. I did have one girl there ask me why I rode in a plastic bridle. I had to explain about biothane.

Who cares what is "tacky"? Just ride in what you like.

Running Fox Farm
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:25 AM
Monogramming, tacky??? Why? What was the basis on which someone declared monogrammed bridle/saddle bags "tacky"? It may look like you have way too much money to spend on niceties that someone else can't afford, and they branded it "tacky". There's lots of stuff in the show world I can't afford for my barn and I would love to have but I won't brand it " tacky".
Now on the other hand, let's talk about spur charms...

mvp
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:27 AM
Well, I have a ranty list....

Not a fan of rainbow colored reins. I understand they have their place for the little kids in lessons. Just don't don't let the 7 year olds tell you that they universally look good.

I get itchy when I see too-short boots, but I try not to judge. I really have a problem matte-looking or unpolished boots at a show because that's a preventable fashion faux pas.

I like western ensembles and colors when well done. Same for XC sets in eventing. I can't, however, see why neon color schemes (perhaps native to barrel racing?) are a good idea in most disciplines.

Oh, and the visible evidence of swamp-a$$ in breeches. I'm tough enough to deal with panty lines-- I'm not ready and happy to have folks wear undies. The other? Something should be done.

Finally, and at home, I can't decide whether the Lowe's plastic trunk/big tupperware thing or uncontained whatnot that takes up more and more space in a communal tack room is worse. Those of us with "standards" just have to admit that *any* trunk is better than none.

And another thing.... winter blankets stiff and reeking!

doublesstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
Bwahahaha! See, I had to come pop in on this thread from the endurance forum. You see, I am a trail rider who LOVES to do distance riding (Endurance, CTR, etc). Therefore, I am what you would quite likely call tacky!

My horse is bay. My saddle pad, bridle, breast collar, reins, and all other associated tack are BRIGHT blue. So are my buckets and picks and all that stuff. My ponies boots are bright orange (they didn't come in blue). That actually has a practicle application, if they fall off in the field, I can easily find them. But they are tacky. *grin*

I went to a little hunter/jumper schooling show a couple of weeks ago in my tacky blue stuff, because that's all I have. I also don't own tall boots or a jacket, so I was in breeches, paddock boots, and a nice sweatshirt as it was chilly. We were there for the experience for my young horse, so who cares what we wore.... Except those that had to look at me anyway. I did have one girl there ask me why I rode in a plastic bridle. I had to explain about biothane.

Who cares what is "tacky"? Just ride in what you like.

It's not tacky if your riding Endurance! :lol:

I'm with you on riding in what you like.... I do sport a zebra belt :yes:

doublesstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
Monogramming, tacky??? Why? What was the basis on which someone declared monogrammed bridle/saddle bags "tacky"? It may look like you have way too much money to spend on niceties that someone else can't afford, and they branded it "tacky". There's lots of stuff in the show world I can't afford for my barn and I would love to have but I won't brand it " tacky".
Now on the other hand, let's talk about spur charms...

Maybe they would prefer her to use a Sharpie? And spur charms are so you can see when you are spuring your horse by mistake. :yes:

twotrudoc
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:25 AM

After all, what else are the manufacturers supposed to do with all that leftover clothing material from the 80s? Don't even try to pretend you did not have animal print spandex leggings.

This.:lol:

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:47 AM
People that stand ringside loudly critiquing other riders and putting them down!

mvp
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:06 PM
And another thing....

stirrups and spurs gussied up with chasing and crystals and whatnot. I guess spur charms goes in there, too. I don't know how these work in the functional manner doublesstable describes. I don't think I can get a good visual on my heels, most of the time.

Now don't get me wrong. I think silver and leather tooling in WesternWorld is grand. I even think elements can be imported into any branch of EnglishWorld. But that has to be done conservatively, IMO.

doublesstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
And another thing....

I guess spur charms goes in there, too. I don't know how these work in the functional manner doublesstable describes. I don't think I can get a good visual on my heels, most of the time.

I hope you know I was teasing..... I see some riders w/ spurs that I feel for the horse - they spur as they are going over the jump... so thought a spur charm would bring attention to it. LOL.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 13, 2010, 02:47 PM

I get itchy when I see too-short boots, but I try not to judge. I really have a problem matte-looking or unpolished boots at a show because that's a preventable fashion faux pas.

Finally, and at home, I can't decide whether the Lowe's plastic trunk/big tupperware thing or uncontained whatnot that takes up more and more space in a communal tack room is worse. Those of us with "standards" just have to admit that *any* trunk is better than none.

Yes any trunk is better than none. But show trunk vs home depot plastic... no question.

Too short boots don't bug me. I'm a freak of nature who wears an 8 and needs 20" tall boots. Before going custom mine were borderline short and too big in the feet too. Not everyone can dish out for customs, esp parents of young kids/teenagers that often outgrow things. Also... slight (and I do mean SLIGHT) matte finish on boots doesn't bother because the really soft leathers can be difficult to polish. Never an excuse for not being clean and putting in the effort.

Blankets---- agreed.

I do somewhat mind VPL. It's so easy to avoid. Cameltoe bothers more.

And show bows.... as bad as loose hair.

danceronice
Nov. 13, 2010, 02:55 PM
I can see stoning on Western sets. English....not so sure.

But monogramming? I had monogrammed collars, and my leather tack (at least little pieces likely to walk off on its own) had my initials discreetly stamped on it with leather-press tools. (You can't see it from a distance, but it's there if you know where to look. I'd actually forgotten that until I got out my old bridle to use on Lucky.)

winfieldfarm
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
Tacky? Tack that is filthy and doesn't fit or isn't adjusted right.
Badly fitting show clothes

And my all time biggest tacky. Arab Nationals fell on Halloween and a couple trainers took their victory passes in costume. I get it but it was so lame.

LeeB10
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
My mother in law?

:yes:

Mine too!

barnbum81
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:50 PM
My mother in law?

good form!

mvp
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:23 PM
I got it:

Those checkered polo wraps.

1) The printed on black squares will get screwed up with use as the polo material gets nubbly.

2) You can't possibly wrap them in a way that makes the printed design work.

Who thought these were a good idea, ever? Who told some manufacturer they were right by buying them?

The bumble bee/school bus version is especially heinous.

kristinq
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:53 PM
This first one will probably get me flamed:

1) How about everyone in the horse world and their mother owning a Jack Russell and/or Corgi? Maybe it's just because these aren't the farm dogs that I grew up with. Ya know, big ones that may actually harm an intruder vs. yipping at their heels. (I know, I know- they serve some sort of purpose, they just aren't what I've been accustomed to).

2) Orange tack makes me want to puke. So does brown tack on really, really dark (nearly black) horses. I just feel that black looks more polished, especially if it's black with silver hardware instead of brass. Very sharp.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:59 PM

1) How about everyone in the horse world and their mother owning a Jack Russell and/or Corgi? Maybe it's just because these aren't the farm dogs that I grew up with. Ya know, big ones that may actually harm an intruder vs. yipping at their heels. (I know, I know- they serve some sort of purpose, they just aren't what I've been accustomed to).

Bwahahahaha. They're travel size! LMAO. I have a 15 lb aussie dog that was supposed to be big and never grew.

caevent
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Bwahahahaha. They're travel size! LMAO. I have a 15 lb aussie dog that was supposed to be big and never grew.

Agreed! They are much easier to pack into the truck with all the other show gear!:lol:

*jumper*
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
I might get blasted for this, but I've never been a fan of the huge bilngy/blinding rhinestone belts. They're cute and fun, but not at an A show...especially on professionals. I'm all for the tidy and tasteful black or brown leather belt. Stitching and some silver is totally fine, but not the all out laser-blasting crystal encrustation!

WorthTheWait95
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:20 PM
I'm all for the tidy and tasteful black or brown leather belt. Stitching and some silver is totally fine, but not the all out laser-blasting crystal encrustation!

While on the subject of belts: Please don't wear brown belts with black tall boots! That's my biggest pet peeve in both the horse and 'normal' world! It would be like wearing brown socks with black shoes/pants. Just say no!

danceronice
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hey, corgis can herd! (Sometimes. Well, mine herds barn cats. She's so proud of herself when she gets all my parents' barn cats in the barn. The cats, not so much.)

mojo7777
Nov. 13, 2010, 09:14 PM
I try not to be judgmental, I really do, and usually I'm successful, but...PINK CAMO...why? Please don't, or at least not so much!

canterhavenfarm
Nov. 13, 2010, 09:37 PM

Corgis are made for horses! I learned from watching Dogs101 on animal planet that corgis, specifically the cardigan, was bred to be around livestock. They are short so that when the livestock kicks, the hoof goes over the corgi and corgi can keep on herding. Any one else herd of this? I adore corgis and as soon as I get the 100 acre farm, going to have a pack of corgis!

Not sure if this falls under tacky but this is my pet peeve. Saddle pads that do not fit the saddle, too small so saddle hangs over pad. Now I know that saddle pad manufactures need to help out here since for those of us who ride in an 18 " saddle, we have to go out of our way to find the C size or large CC pad. But I do it so when I see saddles that are larger than the pad, drives me nuts.

twotrudoc
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
I might get blasted for this, but I've never been a fan of the huge bilngy/blinding rhinestone belts. They're cute and fun, but not at an A show...especially on professionals. I'm all for the tidy and tasteful black or brown leather belt. Stitching and some silver is totally fine, but not the all out laser-blasting crystal encrustation!

OHMUHGOSH I love laser blasting crystal encrustation!!!!!!!!!!!

*squeal*

barnbum81
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:47 PM
OHMUHGOSH I love laser blasting crystal encrustation!!!!!!!!!!!

*squeal*

Bluesy
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
And my all time biggest tacky. Arab Nationals fell on Halloween and a couple trainers took their victory passes in costume. I get it but it was so lame.

I love costumes! They're so much fun.
Creating them is the best part!

Though at the puissance at SM, it's also very fun to watch top riders in costume.

good form!

You can make good forms with Adobe Acrobat. I saw it in a movie once.

arnika
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hey, corgis can herd! (Sometimes. Well, mine herds barn cats. She's so proud of herself when she gets all my parents' barn cats in the barn. The cats, not so much.)

Corgis are made for horses! I learned from watching Dogs101 on animal planet that corgis, specifically the cardigan, was bred to be around livestock. They are short so that when the livestock kicks, the hoof goes over the corgi and corgi can keep on herding.

Ha Ha! My corgi is a chicken around people but he thinks he is all that around the horses. He spent his first year trying to get them to do as he told them, they just keep an eye on him and go about their business. He finally gave up on herding them but you can tell that he still wishes he could. :D

Rubyfree
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:54 PM
Bluesy, you slay me.

Bluesy
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:18 AM
I slay myself. :lol:

Peggy
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:08 AM
I try not to be judgmental, I really do, and usually I'm successful, but...PINK CAMO...why? Please don't, or at least not so much!If you need to go undercover at a tweeny-bopper concert?

cocopuff
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:53 AM
I got it:

Those checkered polo wraps.

1) The printed on black squares will get screwed up with use as the polo material gets nubbly.

2) You can't possibly wrap them in a way that makes the printed design work.

Who thought these were a good idea, ever? Who told some manufacturer they were right by buying them?

:lol: This post reminded me that waaay back when I used to have a set of grey polos with black checkers. You're right, the design didn't work when the leg was wrapped. I was barely 20 years old and seeing them in my colors made me go aiiieee!! and I HAD to have them. Ah, youth. :D

meupatdoes
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
Yes any trunk is better than none. But show trunk vs home depot plastic... no question.

Sorry, I have Wal Mart plastic.

Show trunk: $750
Board and farrier for both my horses for one month: $750
Wal Mart trunk: $10
And I can put it on the trailer myself with no help, because guess what?

You do the math.

As for the checkered polo wrap discussion, this leads me to my vote for tacky, which is monogramed polo wraps.

Obviously the only person who would order monogramed polo wraps is somebody who has never wrapped a polo themselves in their lives.

ponies123
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
2) Orange tack makes me want to puke. So does brown tack on really, really dark (nearly black) horses. I just feel that black looks more polished, especially if it's black with silver hardware instead of brass. Very sharp.

:eek: I hate orange tack too, but I would venture to say that black tack (especially with gaudy silver hardware) in the hunter/jumper world is just as tacky. :no:

Running Fox Farm
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:04 AM
Oh Doubless - I wish I lived near you in CA - bet we'd have lots of fun:). And MVP, "swamp a$$"? Am I understanding you correctly in that you're saying there are actually folks that " go commando" under their britches??? I mean, I know I'm old but I'm sure not a prude, and the idea of " nothing comes between me and my Tailored Sportsmans" is kinda gross. That gives new meaning to the words close contact;). I love your rant list, as it includes many of mine. Yes, as someone who always felt it was obscene to pay hundreds of dollars for those really cool tack trunks ( but be assured, if I had the money to blow I'd have some) I do feel it's better to have the stuff neatly contained. Not tall enough boots, to me, connote novice rider. Yes, this situation is fixable. No one has longer legs than my son, and for me it's a point of honor that his boots fit properly, and no, he doesn't have custom Vogels. I would add the mtriad of gimmicky stirrps that are one the market( including the ones w/ rhinestones embedded in them) and all the "bling" that's invaded the English world. I was brought up on the " workman-like attire" ethic, I guess. I do have JR's ( 2 right now, sometimes more) and they DO serve a purpose. Since most horses live on the " self destruct" mode, my terriers can always make me smile, even when my horses can't. I'm glad someone else finds the bling yuckky, and no, you weren't tacky to the young lady originating this thread, lest we forget the original question. I would do the same thing - looks really nice and "together", and helps identify your stuff.

Silk
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
Handwalking horses at the show in their stable clothes with shavings in their tails. Why is no one stopping these people on their way out of the barn?

So true.....I abhor shavings on clothes and in tails...anywhere, really.

I always find bridle bags to be more of a PITA than anything. However, when dealing with pre-teens, some form of organization is necessary. In addition, when the darn thing is EMPTY, that can HOPEFULLY be a cue for said child that s/he forgot something - LOL!!!

Uhhh....when I see the kid's Jaguar bridle on the floor of the trailer with fast food trash, I tend to get a bit peeved:) Her bridle bag can be a darn pillow case for all I care, but its a place that she knows the bridle needs to go:)

Silk
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:48 AM

1)

I find black tack to be tackier than orange tack. Brown is always appropriate. Shade is up the the preference of the rider or owner.

WorthTheWait95
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:59 AM
Obviously the only person who would order monogramed polo wraps is somebody who has never wrapped a polo themselves in their lives.

What does monogramming them have to do with knowing how to wrap a polo? We always monogram ours so that when they're rolled (ie: ready to be put on a horse) the free edge has the initials/horse name/whatever. It's just a way to ID ownership. :confused:

I used to ride at a barn that required all of our polo's and standing wraps to be monogrammed so we would know which wraps belonged to which horse/owner. Apparently several years back they had some sort of barn drama over wraps :rolleyes:. I have to admit it did make it easier to see which wraps were yours in the hanging wrap box though. My guys would often get poulticed so at least I knew if I got poultice on any part of the wrap they were mine and I wasn't messing up someone elses. Same for my horse that likes to eat wraps...at least he's eating HIS wraps!

...but then my brother in law owns an embroidery company so maybe I'd be less inclined to monogram stuff like that if it cost me something.

bascher
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:12 PM
I have a bridle bag because I would rather not have my bridle get scratched or anything, and I have been showing for sixteen years, so definitely not a newbie! :D And we all monogram our polos so we know whose are whose; mine just have my first name on them so that when they are rolled, you can easily see that they are mine. I know how to wrap polos, as do all of the other people at my barn who have monogrammed polos.

And I'll admit I have a really nice brown leather belt that I show in...and I have black tall boots! I don't really see the problem with it at all :)

hundredacres
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:34 PM
I try not to be judgmental, I really do, and usually I'm successful, but...PINK CAMO...why? Please don't, or at least not so much!

mojo, you made me laugh when I read this. Even when trying to be critical here, you are gracious. You are definitely NOT tacky :).

ifiwereyou
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
The tackiest of them all:

Children in shadbellies!!!

I saw a child at the Royal wearing garter straps, bows and a shadbelly all together... :eek: I wanted to shake whoever dressed her!!!

rugbygirl
Nov. 14, 2010, 02:18 PM
I find black tack to be tackier than orange tack. Brown is always appropriate. Shade is up the the preference of the rider or owner.

According to my saddle fitter, that is pretty much only true in US Hunterland. She cringes when she sees people buying lighter brown tack for dark horses and always recommends either dark, dark brown or preferably black. Not that I usually notice these things anyway, but I find lighter brown tack a little distracting on a very dark seal brown or black horse.

'Course, on this board, the OP could very well have meant "what is tacky in US Hunterland only"...sometimes that is implied here, but there IS an International readership :)

WorthTheWait95
Nov. 14, 2010, 02:35 PM
And I'll admit I have a really nice brown leather belt that I show in...and I have black tall boots! I don't really see the problem with it at all :)

:Shudder: Sorry! haha I guess growing up in a house with a fashionista mom and sister really DID rub off on me in some ways. It was beaten into my head that your shoes MUST match your belt! I don't even think that's really a hard and fast rule any more in the fashion world (I think they just have to belong to the same color family) but in my world it is basically a law! :lol:

I guess I just prefer the look of a black helmet, black boots, black gloves and a black belt. Making the belt brown just seems so out of place to me. At least hunt coats cover the belts most the time but I get a little twitchy on non-classic days when everyone is showing in polos with brown belts galore!

whbar158
Nov. 14, 2010, 02:53 PM
Not so much tacky, but stuff that bothers me has more to do with just looking professional and ready to show. I have used plastic tubs for stuff at shows, and I find that as long as it looks neat and organized it really doesn't look cheap or tacky. Mine were for wraps or saddle pads, were labeled, clean and stacked neatly. What looks tacky is a plastic trunk that is over flowing with random stuff and the lid half on with more random stuff on the ground next to it.

I have no problem with monogramed stuff because it makes keeping everything together much easier. As someone whose job it was to make sure all the clients stuff got put back and not mixed in the with farms stuff it was way easier if it had their name on it, and stitched looked way better than a sharpie mark. Agreed that orange tack is tacky as is ill fitting tack. One of the things that bugs me the most are too low and loose nosebands, if your noseband is flapping with every canter stride I just can't stand it.

I think some of the stuff that gets attached to being tacky comes from just looking like you don't know what you are doing, going back to the checkered polo wraps who has actually seen someone who used those and the wraps actually looked like they were put on right? How often do you see the wal-mart tubs being used where they are neat/clean/organized? For the most part aside from neon colors most people don't notice these tacky things if you are organized and clean. As with many ill fitting things, you often notice them because they are either so ill fitting you can't not look or they are messy or dirty on top of ill fitting. I think very few people are going to call your bridle bag or saddle cover tacky as long as it isn't some neon color or colors that just don't go together. I do think rhinestone belts are tacky in the hunter ring, some may be cute and pretty, so wear them at home.

Something I think looks stupid, shadbelly and the horse isn't braided. Um if it wasn't important enough for the horse to be braided it certainly was not important enough to wear a shad.

twotrudoc
Nov. 14, 2010, 03:13 PM
I am making darling polos for my favorite clients, the prettiest fleece with my beaded logo. I did forgo the bling and used tasteful shades of blue and gold/cream (my colors). Not everyone has the over developed sense of laser blinging like I have developed the past few years (that happened after I quit smoking, is there a correlation here??).

I don't think they will have any issues though, they know how to wrap polos LOL! They went through Pony Club.

I learned how to wrap polos correctly and beautifully by grooming at a top notch sales barn.

meupatdoes
Nov. 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
What does monogramming them have to do with knowing how to wrap a polo? We always monogram ours so that when they're rolled (ie: ready to be put on a horse) the free edge has the initials/horse name/whatever. It's just a way to ID ownership. :confused:

I was talking about polos where the monogram is by the velcro, so it shows, ideally on the top front of the cannon, when the polos are put on the horse.

Yeah.
Those actually exist.

Jersey Fresh
Nov. 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
1. Walking into the jumper ring (or in the case of one show last winter, the adult hunter ring) with your collar open and no choker under a coat (which you managed to button up so we know its not that you dont know how to do buttons).

2. Wearing a scarf while hacking your horse in a t shirt. This is kentucky, yes the weather changes every 5 seconds but I highly doubt you will need a scarf in June. And if for some reason a blizzard rolls in, what good will it do you with short sleeves?

3. The whole pony tail out of the helmet thing at shows. I'm sorry, but I've developed a nervous twitch from seeing too many of these. Even sillier if you have manged to put a hairnet on and get the hunter ear paddies going....

4. Earnets in the winter. There are no bugs indoors to bother your horse. And I dont buy its to keep ear plugs in-my horse can manage to keep his in without a ear net despite his best efforts.

5. Showing with no gloves. Just looks silly.

The rest really doesnt bother me. I dont care what color belt you wear as long as you look nice. And I have monogramed spurs, saddle pads, wraps (near the velcro end *gasp* hehehe) and occationally when I remember, use a bridle bag. =)

leilatigress
Nov. 14, 2010, 06:02 PM

In her defense she is 8 so whatever. But the adult at our stable who rides in the black backed neon colored polka dot pad, even I wouldn't put that on my horse much less the bay paint she does.:eek: Now when I was chasing cans I did not think pink snake print would look great and I was right then and I am right now it's a no. I did find out the arab I ride does not look good in native print of any kind. :no: She was even offended to the point she did a full body shake and then stomped all over it. :lol:

BeeHoney
Nov. 14, 2010, 06:25 PM
4. Earnets in the winter. There are no bugs indoors to bother your horse. And I dont buy its to keep ear plugs in-my horse can manage to keep his in without a ear net despite his best efforts.

=)

Nope, there's something to those earnets, I can't figure it out but I've come to think they have pretty much nothing to do with keeping bugs out of the ears...they just...work. Ear plugs don't have the same effect.

Jersey Fresh
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:06 PM
Nope, there's something to those earnets, I can't figure it out but I've come to think they have pretty much nothing to do with keeping bugs out of the ears...they just...work. Ear plugs don't have the same effect.

Maybe the horse's know they look ridiculous and thus jumper higher and faster to just get the hell out of the ring so people like me stop making fun of them? =)

mvp
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
And MVP, "swamp a$$"? Am I understanding you correctly in that you're saying there are actually folks that " go commando" under their britches???

A) Swamp a$$ can be achieved with or without undies.

B) So in CA, the very over-sexed older woman who visited our little barn (mainly to boff boarder who was her ex, and then the resident trainer for good measure) swore by commando. She didn't want to look bad in breeches. I was 14 at the time but I wondered "And later? When it counts? How will you look then?"

I was talking about polos where the monogram is by the velcro, so it shows, ideally on the top front of the cannon, when the polos are put on the horse.

Yeah.
Those actually exist.

I'm not smart enough to own/use these. I am smart enough to know that.

IIRC, some trainers thing the rhythmic flapping on the forehead with each stride has a calming effect. Like a snake charmer.......but jumping.... and some other differences, too.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
While on the subject of belts: Please don't wear brown belts with black tall boots! That's my biggest pet peeve in both the horse and 'normal' world! It would be like wearing brown socks with black shoes/pants. Just say no!

Eh. Brown belt under your jacket with back boots? So small compared to pink camo or walking your horse with shavings all over.

Sorry, I have Wal Mart plastic.

Show trunk: $750
Board and farrier for both my horses for one month: $750
Wal Mart trunk: $10
And I can put it on the trailer myself with no help, because guess what?

You do the math.

I'm not arguing the point. But I have to say, when walking through the barn at the shows plastic trunks just don't do it for me. I'm not arguing cost. There's a reason I have a plastic one. :-D

Yeah.
Those actually exist.

As far as polos. I have monogramed ones. I ordered from Dover and they (by default) put the monogram at the end of the velcro. I found out later that I have to ask for it to be at the end. However, it saved all four of them from running away at a big barn with lots of kids. I caught them walking away on another horse's legs more than once. :yes: If it had been on the end I likely would have never seen them locked away in some other rider's box or locker. They're also my favorite polos.

Peggy
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have worn my brown beaded belt with black boots at a show. So there!

Had a pair (yes, 2) of polos with a logo on them that was not symmetrical. Drove me crazy until I figured out a way to label them so they would be placed correctly to make the logo end up right. My standing wraps and the set or two of polos I have left are embroidered (I hesitate to call it a monogram) with my name so it shows when they are rolled up. Makes it much easier to figure out which ones are yours in a dark grooming stall at the end of the day as it doesn't fade like magic marker and you can feel it as well as see it. I inherited one of those sewing machines that will write words so it's not a big deal.

Star seems more serene with his hat, but I have no idea if he really is or why. I have a friend who leased a horse to do a medal finals and was told by the grooms that said horse would not jump without his hat. They were correct.

katie+tru
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
Not a H/J rider, but whenever I get a catalogue that has show helmets if various "off" colors such as dark blue, dark green, and shades of grey I twitch. I cannot imagine a blue, green, red, or brown velvet helmet looking anywhere near as good as black. Black helmets with grey/silver details are fine though. lol But solid elephant grey velvet hats look gross.

PNWjumper
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
Star seems more serene with his hat, but I have no idea if he really is or why. I have a friend who leased a horse to do a medal finals and was told by the grooms that said horse would not jump without his hat. They were correct.

There are many barns (and several very BNTs (jumpers) I can think of offhand) who always put ear nets on the horses to jump. The idea is that the horses learn their job and associate it with something simple like the ear net.....ear net means "pay attention, it's time to go to work" and no earn net means "loose hack."

I can't say I subscribe to that particular method of training, but the trainers I know whose people do it have very successful jumpers. I would imagine it doesn't make a difference for some horses, but I'm sure there's a horse here or there (like the one described by Peggy) for whom it really does make a difference.

Anyhow, bugs have nothing to do with the use of ear nets for the most part. All of the folks I know who use them do so a) to keep ear plugs in b) because they like the look or c) the horses are trained that wearing "the hat" = jumping

Twisting
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:33 AM
When I was a teenager I was self concious about the plastic trunk I used at shows. My mom was the practical type and wasn't inclined to shell out a small fortune for a trunk. She was sensetive to my feelings though and took the time to sew a trunk cover in my colors and jury rigged a way to attached it to the plastic trunk. When it was all closed up you couldn't even tell, and it only cost about $20. Thanks for the reminder that I have the best mom in the world. ;)

I don't really find much tacky. So long as it's safe I'm not really overly concerned with what color or style someone else chooses to dress themselves or their horses in. Now the barn hand who felt the need to on a 15 minute long monologue comparing the atractiveness of various gelding's "man parts" struck me as a bit tacky, not to mention just plain odd.

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm not arguing the point. But I have to say, when walking through the barn at the shows plastic trunks just don't do it for me.

Can I just ask what somebody elses tack trunk at a horse show when you are walking through their barn aisle is supposed to be doing for you?

fordtraktor
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, really. I love my Stanley trunk, I can actually lift it which is gold.

It is actually quite simple to sew a trunk cover for them. I haven't done it because I just don't care, but it could be done if one was ashamed. I think taking a trunk cover on and off is so annoying that I am just not willing to waste that five minutes of my life every day. My trunk is clean and orderly -- I think it's fine.

ponies123
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:58 AM
Not a H/J rider, but whenever I get a catalogue that has show helmets if various "off" colors such as dark blue, dark green, and shades of grey I twitch. I cannot imagine a blue, green, red, or brown velvet helmet looking anywhere near as good as black. Black helmets with grey/silver details are fine though. lol But solid elephant grey velvet hats look gross.

Don't like the colored ones, but I don't consider grey or brown a color. Brown is classic - goes with brown tall boots. And as a junior I always always wanted a brown velvet helmet, but couldn't find something classic enough that would fit my big head and look good. Now black velvet faded to brown is a way of passage, kind of a sign of how many you ride a day in the sun :D

purplnurpl
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:08 AM

me neither.
I love the fun belt in a schooling jumper round.
Coming from a dressage background I have a little bit of trouble with the low rise breeks/bling belt with giant buckle/and shadbelly. This is "formal"? little giggle.

high waste breeks with no belt loops are made for a reason.

but you wear what you like. Just because it's not for me doesn't mean that other people can't have fun with it!

anthem35
Nov. 15, 2010, 11:48 AM
What do you guys consider "tacky" in the hunter/jumper world? I showed up at my first show with my new barn with a monogrammed bridle bag, and a monogrammed saddle bag:eek: Please share!:)

Monograms are tacky?

As someone that mongrams EVERYTHING, (tastefully of course) I have to say I fail to see why this is 'tacky'?

Tacky, to me, would be too-low rised breeches prominently displaying bejeweled thong strap, "JUICY" tattoo on your lower back, and a muffin top perched on the pommel.

But that's just me, I'm probably old fashioned ;)

Bluesy
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:26 PM
Can I just ask what somebody elses tack trunk at a horse show when you are walking through their barn aisle is supposed to be doing for you?

Perhaps the cha cha?

justjumpit278
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:58 PM
On the contrary... I find all matching bridle/saddle/helmet bags, coolers, etc that are all the same color (barn colors, usually) with monograms to be quite classy. :)

busylady
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:04 PM
Trainers that don't take the time to groom themselves are tacky. I cannot stand seeing a trainer in sweats, oversized sweatshirts, tiny tank tops, etc. and hair that looks like it hasn't seen a brush in days. I understand helmet head but for heavensake, buy a ball cap! A professional horse trainer needs to present himself or herself as a professional! My trainer always looks pulled together, even ten minutes after showing four second year horses. Her attention to detail and high standards are passed down to everyone in the barn, even the pony riders and I appreciate it.

Equilibrium
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:12 PM
Ok I know I will sound tacky but what is so horrid about commando say in jeans? During my galloping career I didn't wear undies because it was so much more comfy. To me I would rather see no panty lines than glaring " hey I'm wearing a thong!"

Flame away but as I have gotten older I do not go commando and would never in breeches.

Terri

plain bay
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:21 PM

I have monogrammed polo wraps and standing bandages and the monograms are on the front by the velcro and I do wrap my own horse myself and I can wrap them perfectly so that the monogram shows on the front top of the cannon bone thank you.

You know, some of your posts I totally agree with but sometimes you are really off putting, and it's rather nasty of you to state what you did about polo wraps w/o knowing me or anyone else that has them and do wrap their own horses' legs. I just like having my stuff not get lost if that's alright w/ you? I wouldn't ever make fun of your plastic tack box, so please don't assume I've never wrapped a horse's legs because I choose to have my wraps monogrammed.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
What's tacky? Dirty, sloppy, or mean.

I don't care if your boots are matte (actually my personal preference for leather) or shiny, as long as they're polished and clean. Don't care what kind of belt you're wearing, as long as you've taken the time to tuck it in properly. Don't care what colors you choose for yourself or your horse, including tack, as long as they don't clash with each other or your horse.

Shads on kids - if it makes the show more special for them, who cares? Just please braid the pony so they look special too.

As for tack trunks, bags, and monograms, its a good way to keep things clean, identifiable, and organized, but neatly labeled and organized rubbermaid bins are just as effective.

Show bows help contain hair that's too short to stay up under your helmet but too long to just contain in a hairnet. What's really so offensive about it? I don't own one, but I certainly don't think its something to be rude about either.

twotrudoc
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:30 PM
I could be persuaded to wear a showbow maybe.

If you gave me a bottle of Black Velvet, a Bedazzler and let me go on my own personal laser bling crystal encrustment joy ride, for sure!!!

GPjumper
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:32 PM
some of the tacky things I saw at VHSA finals this past weekend.

1) manes braided with non matching colors..ie black manes with purple, chestnuts with navy blue.

2) having a crystal in the spot where the "lucky" braid used to be halfway up the neck.

3) instead of tail wraps to protect braids, polos, polka dot polos at that.

4)low rise breeches, with blingy belts with a Shadbelly

5) A shadbellly at associate finals (this isn't the NAL, its a glorified school show, why waste the money?) and if you want to call me an elitist, so be it

6) Twinkle toes hoof polish stuff

7) Kids (as in 7/8 years old) riding their small ponies in draw reins.

8)Shadbelly on SS kids

9) ill fitting tack (this includes nosebands that are too loose, too low, or too high

10) Overly tight martingales

11) BLAMING THE PONY/HORSE WHEN IT STOPS/CHIPS/YOU MISS OR RIDE POORLY

12) Having no ring manners in the warm up/schooling or flat classes.

13) Dark show shirts (i hate them for some reason, but thats just personal preference. I think they should be a conservative light color or white, no bright orange, pink, purple or even dark greens. I like traditional)

14) Velvet helmet covers.

REH
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:32 PM

Or, apparently "Hi, I'm a Zone III year end champion"--I've been trying to talk our zone chair out of them for years, but I haven't been able to sway him. Anyone need a bridle bag?:winkgrin:

Heineken
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:48 PM
I monogram EVERYTHING. My old bandages and polos were monogrammed on the velcro end to look pretty. My NEW ones are monogrammed on the non-velcro end (thank you Smartpak) so they don't get absorbed by the big show barn I ride at.

I also love bridle bags...I have 2, one for each of my more than $400 bridles so that I know which pieces and parts go with which bridle. I love being organized. It helps me...

barnbum81
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:50 PM

1) manes braided with non matching colors..ie black manes with purple, chestnuts with navy blue.

This used to really bother me then BNT DD clinics with told us that they started doing it so grooms wouldn't cut mane when they were removing braids, makes sense, but I still don't love it.

Ozone
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
So my $400.00 bridle does not seem to mind whether its bridle bag is monogrammed or not so what is the peeve with a monogrammed bridle bag? But unmonogrammed Bridle bags are ok?

My bridle bags, saddle bag and boot/hat bag have been monogrammed for the last 20 years. All of the sudden I would be a "Hi I'm new"? because of it?
hummm... gotta be better peeves out there such as ............ the MIL! Now we are talking ;)

But ill fitted saddle pads.
Plastic trunks! I really cannot hack them either!
The saddle that will never match the bridle and vice versa.
Anything camo!
Gloves people! They do finish off the pic.

But talking about black boots and a matching belt. Let's think about this. TS Tan, Brown coat, shirt to match accordingly I would rather a brown belt with my clothing attire. Hat and Boots match! I actually feel like my helmet and boots never match any of my attire.

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:26 PM

Anyone who has never seen the value of monogrammed standing bandages (and/or polos) has obviously never spent years wrapping 48 legs a day, thereby recognizing the value of a perfectly broken in set of flannels and would very much like them to be findable in the bandage box when they pick up their horse from the trainer at a show. 20 years later and I still have that set of flannels. Previous sets had a 2 show life expectancy, these disintegrated from use and age.

As for the plastic tack box, I could care less what tack box you use, but that doesn't mean I'm going to look at it the same way as an organized, coordinated row of show boxes. Anyone seeing me head off to the barn in my walmart shirts and jeans isn't going to confuse me with some sort of paragon of fashion either, the difference is I don't have a chip on my unfashionable shoulder about it.

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:35 PM
Anyone who has never seen the value of monogrammed standing bandages (and/or polos) has obviously never spent years wrapping 48 legs a day, thereby recognizing the value of a perfectly broken in set of flannels and would very much like them to be findable in the bandage box when they pick up their horse from the trainer at a show. 20 years later and I still have that set of flannels. Previous sets had a 2 show life expectancy, these disintegrated from use and age.

As for the plastic tack box, I could care less what tack box you use, but that doesn't mean I'm going to look at it the same way as an organized, coordinated row of show boxes. Anyone seeing me head off to the barn in my walmart shirts and jeans isn't going to confuse me with some sort of paragon of fashion either, the difference is I don't have a chip on my unfashionable shoulder about it.

I am a little confused how you think a monogram at the velcro end (or "safety pin" end, if we are switching to 20 year old flannels) is going to help you find or identify your wraps in the grooming box.

And I have no chip on my shoulder.
You are the one saying you "look at" different tack boxes differently depending on how expensive they obviously were or were not, not me.

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:46 PM
Or, apparently "Hi, I'm a Zone III year end champion"--I've been trying to talk our zone chair out of them for years, but I haven't been able to sway him. Anyone need a bridle bag?:winkgrin:

Our zone did polar fleece vests one year for champions- I guess those are slightly more useful but I'm not really a vest fan and only wear mine once in a blue moon.

Some of the awards that USEF gives out absolutely cracks me up! Like handing out adult mens size medium polos and vests at pony finals for tiny pony riders!

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am a little confused how you think a monogram at the velcro end (or "safety pin" end, if we are switching to 20 year old flannels) is going to help you find or identify your wraps in the grooming box.

And I have no chip on my shoulder.
You are the one saying you "look at" different tack boxes differently depending on how expensive they obviously were or were not, not me.

Your chip is kind of big and obvious and travels through many posts. And yes, I can certainly look at a neat, tidy, well coordinated aisle and think "isn't that lovely" and not reach the same conclusion about one with a different look. These sorts of decisions about what we like or do not like happen every day, by the way...

As for monogramming bandages, why ever do you think they were monogrammed by the velcro? At the end, initials out when rolled up, easily identifiable either in the laundry tub or in the bandage box.

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 02:57 PM
Your chip is kind of big and obvious and travels through many posts. And yes, I can certainly look at a neat, tidy, well coordinated aisle and think "isn't that lovely" and not reach the same conclusion about one with a different look. These sorts of decisions about what we like or do not like happen every day, by the way...

As for monogramming bandages, why ever do you think they were monogrammed by the velcro? At the end, initials out when rolled up, easily identifiable either in the laundry tub or in the bandage box.

Because my comment about monogramed polos was about polos monogramed at the velcro.
I explained this in a second post (post #73) for people who thought I was talking about polos monogramed at the ends.

You are the one who responded to me. Why did you ever respond as if I were talking about polos monogramed at the ends?

And secondly, if "neat, tidy and well-coordinated" are going to be the go-to adjectives here, I am wondering what is not "neat, tidy and well-coordinated" about matching plastic trunks?

Alterrain
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:15 PM
Being from CA :) I generally don't think anything is tacky :) Bring on the blingy sunglasses to show in, the leopard print lined shads and the barn-colored antares helmets.

BUT the tall boots with the little american flag tops (or Canadian or whatever) are TACK.Y. I have started seeing them more and more. Gross.

Mozart
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:16 PM
Monogramming is now tacky?? Was there a memo? :confused:

twotrudoc
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:18 PM
What about bling at the top of my tall boots, instead of a fag?

pattnic
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
DMK, I definitely think you are a paragon of fashion! :D

plain bay
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
Because my comment about monogramed polos was about polos monogramed at the velcro.
I explained this in a second post (post #73) for people who thought I was talking about polos monogramed at the ends.

You are the one who responded to me. Why did you ever respond as if I were talking about polos monogramed at the ends?

meupatdoes - I responded to your snarky comment about the polos as well and mine are monogrammed at the velcro end. You may want to go back and read it. :)

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:35 PM

And secondly, if "neat, tidy and well-coordinated" are going to be the go-to adjectives here, I am wondering what is not "neat, tidy and well-coordinated" about matching plastic trunks?

I confess, in all your many pontifications on the topic, that one got lost. I still can't understand why you have such a concern for people who don't do it your way though. The most charitable thought I can come up with is that you are still one of those 20-somethings blessed with more belief in yourself than actual wisdom.

Most of us don't care about others' tack boxes (plastic or otherwise), monogrammed polos (on either end - hey, if it makes you happy), expensive/cheap stable blankets and so on. Turns out we don't waste nearly as much time thinking/caring about them as you appear to spend commenting about people who don't ascribe to your preferred approach to personal acquisitions or how much you would pay for a blanket vs. board and so on (or a 3,875 word rebuttal complete with eight-by-ten color glossy photographs).

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:36 PM
DMK, I definitely think you are a paragon of fashion! :D

snork, you must have seen me in my fancy (wait for it) Kohl's jeans! :lol:

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:44 PM
I confess, in all your many pontifications on the topic, that one got lost. I still can't understand why you have such a concern for people who don't do it your way though. The most charitable thought I can come up with is that you are still one of those 20-somethings blessed with more belief in yourself than actual wisdom.

Most of us don't care about others' tack boxes (plastic or otherwise), monogrammed polos (on either end - hey, if it makes you happy), expensive/cheap stable blankets and so on. Turns out we don't waste nearly as much time thinking/caring about them as you appear to spend commenting about people who don't ascribe to your preferred approach to personal acquisitions or how much you would pay for a blanket vs. board and so on (or a 3,875 word rebuttal complete with eight-by-ten color glossy photographs).

What in the freaking hell.

This is a thread about "What is tacky."
Pretty much everyone on this thread is sharing things that, for whatever reason, they think are tacky or whatever.

For me, I think that polo wraps with a monogram at the velcro that had to be centered and rolled right side up on the leg would be a GIGANTIC PAIN IN THE @$$. So sue me for stating as such. It is not even that they are 'tacky' I just think they would be a PITA. (Plain Bay, if you can easily and speedily apply them perfectly every time, that is awesome for you. I still think that FOR ME it would a gigantic pain in the @$$.)

And all of my "many pontifications on the subject" were
1.) stating that I didn't like monogramed polos and then
2.) clarifying that I meant the ones with the monogram at the velcro.

You then took it upon yourself to TIRELESSLY hound me AGAIN AND AGAIN in not one but two threads, when you hadn't even bothered to read what I wrote, and you are acting like I am the a-hole with a chip on my shoulder here.

It is pretty freaking hilarious that you are criticizing me for commenting about people who don't do it 'my' way as part of your repeated comments about me in two threads, when all I did was respond to the OP of the particular thread.

So we have established that I don't like velcro-monogramed polos and I wouldn't think it was acceptable for my trainer to spend any of my money without checking with me first. These are such huge and judgmental comments about the rest of the world that it clearly merits your endless pursuit of me on these threads.

Perhaps you can give hounding me a rest and move on to somebody else.

REH
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:51 PM

erasing my comment before I ever post it before Moesha goes after me. SNORK

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:52 PM
OK, so I was right about the word count, but feel cheated out of the photographs. :lol:

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:57 PM
OK, so I was right about the word count, but feel cheated out of the photographs. :lol:

Honestly wtf is your problem.

plain bay
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
Meupatdoes - I would be fine w/ your opinion had you not come off as so incredibly rude when you added the part about obviously people who own monogrammed wraps have never wrapped legs themselves part. Seriously? If someone else had typed that and you yourself had monogrammed polos (that I'm quite sure you would wrap yourself, no?) you'd have been all over them like white on rice.

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
Honestly wtf is your problem.

Well, at this exact moment, it's a general failure to appreciate Alice's legal problems in the dining industry, but maybe that's because I forgot to mention the paragraph on the back...

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:06 PM
Meupatdoes - I would be fine w/ your opinion had you not come off as so incredibly rude when you added the part about obviously people who own monogrammed wraps have never wrapped legs themselves part. Seriously? If someone else had typed that and you yourself had monogrammed polos (that I'm quite sure you would wrap yourself, no?) you'd have been all over them like white on rice.

That was meant to indicate what an obvious PITA they looked like to me.
However, I can see how it came across poorly, and I also believe it is my responsibility to type things as I mean them instead of expecting people to interpret them generously, so if you would like an apology, I apologize.

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well, at this exact moment, it's a general failure to appreciate Alice's legal problems in the dining industry, but maybe that's because I forgot to mention the paragraph on the back...

Well that has absolutely nothing to do with me so pursuing me on the internet is not going to help you solve it.

Spud&Saf
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
I have a plastic Stanley trunk and I truck it to shows and leave it sitting outside my horse's stall with pride.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of being a groom participating in the set-up/take down process, or who is a DIYer, would also do so. :D

I need to preserve my strength for the ring!

Bluesy
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:13 PM
I must say, I love these threads.

Such a fascinating foray into the human mind.

Terribly amusing in one way and sad in others.

Enjoy yourselves!

:D

Thanatos
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
As for the checkered polo wrap discussion, this leads me to my vote for tacky, which is monogramed polo wraps.

I monogram mine because white polos and navy polos have this uncanny ability to walk away. I wrap my own horses. I clip the left wraps so I know which ones go on which legs so that I don't wind up with upside down monograms. Before monogramming, I bought 4 sets of white polos in one year. After? I've had the same set now for almost 5 years and miraculously, they have stayed put in MY stuff and haven't disappeared. Same goes with stamping leather; it's subtle, but keeps my martingale which looks like ten others from the barn, from walking away.

Tacky? Plates and tags. On everything! I have a bridle plate on the top of my crown piece and a plate on the back of my saddle. But this past week, a girl trotted in on a small, grey pony. You could hear her tack tags jingling the whole way 'round the ring. She had a tag on the martingale, a tag on the bridle, plate on the girth and saddle and around the top of her crop. The worst? some plates/tags were brass, some were silver.

Fiction
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:21 PM

2) having a crystal in the spot where the "lucky" braid used to be halfway up the neck.

3) instead of tail wraps to protect braids, polos, polka dot polos at that.

4)low rise breeches, with blingy belts with a Shadbelly

5) A shadbellly at associate finals (this isn't the NAL, its a glorified school show, why waste the money?) and if you want to call me an elitist, so be it

6) Twinkle toes hoof polish stuff

7) Kids (as in 7/8 years old) riding their small ponies in draw reins.

8)Shadbelly on SS kids

9) ill fitting tack (this includes nosebands that are too loose, too low, or too high

10) Overly tight martingales

11) BLAMING THE PONY/HORSE WHEN IT STOPS/CHIPS/YOU MISS OR RIDE POORLY

12) Having no ring manners in the warm up/schooling or flat classes.

13) Dark show shirts (i hate them for some reason, but thats just personal preference. I think they should be a conservative light color or white, no bright orange, pink, purple or even dark greens. I like traditional)

14) Velvet helmet covers.

D. All of the above

meupatdoes
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
I monogram mine because white polos and navy polos have this uncanny ability to walk away. I wrap my own horses. I clip the left wraps so I know which ones go on which legs so that I don't wind up with upside down monograms. Before monogramming, I bought 4 sets of white polos in one year. After? I've had the same set now for almost 5 years and miraculously, they have stayed put in MY stuff and haven't disappeared. Same goes with stamping leather; it's subtle, but keeps my martingale which looks like ten others from the barn, from walking away.

That is a good idea about clipping the left ones.

How do you get the monogram centered each time?
I am a proficient and swift wrapper but I still can't get the velcro to end up in the same exact place every time.

If someone tells me the secret I may even convert, as I monogram everything that I own and there is not even anyone who shares my tack room.

FineAlready
Nov. 15, 2010, 05:25 PM

You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant.

It's about that time of year again, actually.

Sorry - had to add that. Carry on, everyone.

FineAlready
Nov. 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah, and I own a bridle bag. It's not monogrammed, but only because I'm too cheap to monogram it and I just don't care that much. And I'm not new, either.

Timex
Nov. 15, 2010, 05:32 PM
This thread. *insert rolly eyes here*

MoonLadyIsis
Nov. 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
after lurking for some time, I had to sign up to respond to this thread because it is hilarious. What I find tacky is that people take such offense to the opinions of others and feel the need to lash out. Do I like the idea of monogramming on the velcro of polos? Not for me but only because I would never get it lined up right and I don't like the monograms of small stuff exposed. I understand on the start of the wrap so when they are rolled you can tell which ones belong to whom, especially when the barn you are at has 500000 sets of the same color polo/standing bandages. I think tacky depends on the individual. I got a ton of mockery from BNT (all in fun mind you) about my neon tie dye saddle pads etc, but before I went there they were my hunting season saddle pads. If you have ever seen a bow and arrow pointing at you and your horse by mistake by a drunken irresponsible hunter, you would understand. They do not belong at shows IMO. Plastic trunks are fab, especially if you don't have the help of either grooms or a burly man to help you get those nice wooden tack trunks on and off a trailer. (and if you don't have your own trailer so it lives in random places lifting it around is awful) That being said, I am a masochist and bring my show trunk with me everywhere. Having had a neatfreak, OCD, perfectionist for a trainer in my youth, I like all my stuff to match and be neat. Sloppy overflowing trunks, whether they are wood, plastic or vinyl, still look tacky. I prefer the neat, professional and conservative approach while away and representing myself, but that is just me.

DMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:27 PM
You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant.

It's about that time of year again, actually.

Sorry - had to add that. Carry on, everyone.

It is a very important fact of life, no doubt. (And hard to get through November without acknowledging that bit o'wisdom) ;)

CBoylen
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:49 PM
I clip the left wraps so I know which ones go on which legs so that I don't wind up with upside down monograms.
That answered a major question I've had since this came up. :D

fordtraktor
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:09 PM
"3) instead of tail wraps to protect braids, polos, polka dot polos at that."

Really? Because a tail wrap is so much different than a polo? Waste of money and they come off easier. I've been wrapping tails in stray polos since at least 1991 and my braids always look beautiful underneath.

No polka dots, though. Green, since I lost a green one in 1991 and relegated that set to tails ever since. No one told me it was tacky! Of course, no one sees it since I don't walk the horses around in them (see CBoylen's complaint).

plain bay
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:26 PM

I am a proficient and swift wrapper but I still can't get the velcro to end up in the same exact place every time.

If someone tells me the secret I may even convert, as I monogram everything that I own and there is not even anyone who shares my tack room.

Just a lot of practice at making sure I start at the exact same point on the leg every single time and that your overlaps are spaced evenly apart every turn around the leg (I hope that makes sense, I'm not always great at explaining things...). I spent a good amount of time on the backside of a racetrack growing up which is where I learned to wrap legs so well and end w/ all the velcro in the same spot. And I'm not saying that you don't wrap well already, but in order to get the perfectly placed monogram (top front of cannon bone)/velcro you have to be extra dilligent of how you wrap, you get faster/better every time though. And like Thanatos mentioned, I clip just a bit of the corners off the right side of polos/bandages.

StellaTMK
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:55 PM
That answered a major question I've had since this came up. :D

I use a daisy as a 'monogram'. Looks the same upside-down :)

And for centering the logo... now that I am at a point where I only have one horse at a time, I gave up and cut them to fit. years of wrapping I start in the exact same place on the leg, overlap and turn the exact same way. That 4" I cut off the wraps made the world of difference. (I cut a corner off the hind wraps)

and to just add my own bit of tacky-ness. I wear boots that are too short, only a tiny bit. But in my defence I ride aside 100% of the time. I found that the boot behind my right knee on the upright pommel was just too much. When walking around I know I get the eye rolls and it used to bother me, not so much anymore. I do have a pair with the proper garters, but they are not my everyday boots. :)

Running Fox Farm
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
Bluesy, I'd have to say we are enjoying ourselves, as this thread has gone on and on and on... MVP. thanks for setting me straight on the "swamp" thing. GPjumper, your list kicks butt! Everyone who listed low rise britches with the shadbelly? With y'all 110%. The first time I saw a picture of this in COTH, I did have to closely examine the picture to establish fiirst, what I thought I saw was real, and second, could the person wearing this combo possibly be out of their mind and that fact somehow detected through the picture. This comment not meant to offend the guilt - just merely my opinion.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:31 PM
Plastic trunks! I really cannot hack them either!

But talking about black boots and a matching belt. Let's think about this. TS Tan, Brown coat, shirt to match accordingly I would rather a brown belt with my clothing attire. Hat and Boots match! I actually feel like my helmet and boots never match any of my attire.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't love them for their look.

And we must all win the lottery so that we can have a pair of brown boots and a brown helmet to match the brown or olive jacket and black helmet and boots to match the grey, navy or black jacket. :cool: I haven't had a paycheck in a while at the tack store. I'm turing into a fashionista rider.

I have a plastic Stanley trunk and I truck it to shows and leave it sitting outside my horse's stall with pride.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of being a groom participating in the set-up/take down process, or who is a DIYer, would also do so. :D

I need to preserve my strength for the ring!

I have a plastic stanley for these reasons. That and the wooden show trunk my dad made me wasn't going to fare well sitting outdoors in 90% humidity year round. Doesn't mean I can't also think it looks tacky in the barn at shows. :yes:

I've set up, fed, watered, mucked and did full grooming for 22 horses with one other person. We spent 14 hours at the show grooming after morning chores. Then packed it all up to go home the same day. The plastic trucks with wheels are nice sometimes. However, they're also larger than the wood and vinyl show trunks most barns that have matching sets choose, so more full of stuff most of the time thus heavier. Being larger also makes the plastic trunks harder to fit and pack 16 of them into a 9 horse trailer tack room and 6 more into truck beds. If they were smaller but made of slightly heavier material they'd be easier to pack in the trailer and probably no heavier than the larger plastic ones. And with a dolly or handcart no harder for to manage.

Just my $.02 on the trunk subject.

I also think the plastic box isn't so bad when everyone has the same one and they're all clean. I hate mismatching though.

angelpower1
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
How about everyone in the horse world and their mother owning a Jack Russell and/or Corgi? Maybe it's just because these aren't the farm dogs that I grew up with. Ya know, big ones that may actually harm an intruder vs. yipping at their heels. (I know, I know- they serve some sort of purpose, they just aren't what I've been accustomed to).

Sort of disagree (but a person should always consider breed characteristics/purpose/lifestyle before purchasing)...After having Anatolian Shepherds (the rip the throat out of an intruder type), I now have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi with a sweet, mellow disposition. Yes, I was introduced to the breed thru horses. However, the breed fits my current lifestyle and he's being trained for herding.

Now, DOG OWNERS THAT:

1. can't keep their dog leashed at a horse show.
2. let them jump on your breeches or show chaps - big no, there!
3. keep them in the sun without water!
4. refuse to use poop bags to clean up after their dog.
5. generally give good dog people a bad rap.

And LASTLY, NON-DOG PEOPLE that think dog people are all the same!

angelpower1
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:41 PM

just don't please!!!!!

Jaegermonster
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:52 PM
re the plastic stanley trunk thing:
I have one too that I take to shows for all the same reasons every else stated.
Sometimes I show alone and sometimes I go with my trainer's barn. I ordered two covers for it from Smartpak, one in my colors and one in my trainers so it matches her drapes etc. I got the zippered padded top one, and I leave the cover on it, just unzip if I need something, and it looks decent.
Plus the cost of one big nice wooden show trunk is about 6 months of lessons for me.

Jaegermonster
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:54 PM

now thats funny!

HobbyHorse101
Nov. 15, 2010, 11:20 PM
Horses that are obviously over-bitted. (Mainly noticed on jumper kids trying to look cool) Sorry, but if I can get my half crazy RTR around in a simple loose ring they can get there made hunter, jumper, or eq. horse around without the gag, pelham, combo, three ring, take your pick.

Neon tack. I may have a few fun saddle pads but they stick to the pony.

Boots that are two short. Spanish tops...they solve the problem.

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:28 AM
Can't stand body clipped horses in the summer (yeah yeah, they dry faster, I get it...)

loshad
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm very sad that a good Alice's Restaurant quote around Thanksgiving doesn't get the respect it derserves. It's really hard to work one of those into a thread, you know.

Ah, well, I guess poor DMK will have to take herself over to the Group W bench now.

Dispatcher
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:53 AM
Tacky is thinking you must have all the latest gadgets and brand name items to make you a better "horseman"

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
Tacky is thinking you must have all the latest gadgets and brand name items to make you a better "horseman"

Like button!! Like button!!

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:06 AM

oops. sorry. repeat post. Delete button! Delete Button!!

Spud&Saf
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:25 AM
re the plastic stanley trunk thing:
I have one too that I take to shows for all the same reasons every else stated.
Sometimes I show alone and sometimes I go with my trainer's barn. I ordered two covers for it from Smartpak, one in my colors and one in my trainers so it matches her drapes etc. I got the zippered padded top one, and I leave the cover on it, just unzip if I need something, and it looks decent.
Plus the cost of one big nice wooden show trunk is about 6 months of lessons for me.

How did you measure for your cover? Approximate cost?

I would love to get a cover for mine. It would be like I'm fooling everyone and I am mischevious :lol:.

rugbygirl
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:39 AM
Spud, a cover for those trunks is mega-easy to sew. You can probably do it yourself! COmpanies like Pegasusequine.com will also make one to your measurements out of quality fabric and can add fun things like piping. For the Stanley trunks I am thinking of, Pegasus could do one for between $80-$100.

Tiramit
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
The all-time greatest tacky in my mind? Condensing an entire year's worth of grooming into one day. At the show. In the wash bay. With the entire family around. Water and hair everywhere.

And I really don't care if the sponges and buckets are custom-colored and monogrammed or from Wal-Mart, it's tacky either way! :winkgrin:

My runner-up choice for greatest all time tacky is condensing an entire year's worth of training into one day. In the warm-up ring...

Thanatos
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:32 AM

Honestly, I have had monogrammed polos for so long that I just start them at a certain point on the leg and haven't had an issue getting them centered. A caveat: that is with certain brands! Vacs I can always get to center. Smart pak's polos I can get to center. Dover's extra long polos/expensive polos, I can never get those to center and they wind up on the outside of the leg, usually. As for my standing wraps, they are monogrammed but my quilts just have my name in permanent marker. :)

MoonLadyIsis
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
My runner-up choice for greatest all time tacky is condensing an entire year's worth of training into one day. In the warm-up ring...

YESS!!!!!

meupatdoes
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:38 AM
Spud, a cover for those trunks is mega-easy to sew. You can probably do it yourself! COmpanies like Pegasusequine.com will also make one to your measurements out of quality fabric and can add fun things like piping. For the Stanley trunks I am thinking of, Pegasus could do one for between $80-$100.

I think you can also order a custom measured one from Smart Pak for about the same money.
Just to add an option.

2bayboys
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:13 PM
Really, what most people are describing as tacky are just differences in preference, or style, or personal taste. And none of it is actually important.

That being said, here are my own opinions about what is tacky:
1. Not paying your trainer, your vet, your farrier, your horse show bill, your employees. Very tacky.
2. Abusing, physically or verbally, any of the people mentioned above, plus your dog, your horse, the barn cat, or the judge. Feel free to inflict abuse on inanimate objects such as the tractor or heavy as sh!t jump poles.
3. Borrowing other people's stuff without returning it, or worse, borrowing it then breaking it, and not replacing it.
4. Participating in the spread of untruthful or unverifiable information, including (but not limited to) how much was paid for a horse, who is sleeping with whom, and whether or not an individual uses illegal practices to win at horse shows. Unless you have first-hand knowledge of such things, it's just tacky to discuss.

Pennywell Bay
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
4. Participating in the spread of untruthful or unverifiable information, including (but not limited to) how much was paid for a horse, who is sleeping with whom, and whether or not an individual uses illegal practices to win at horse shows. Unless you have first-hand knowledge of such things, it's just tacky to discuss.

True, true.... I am SSOOOO guilty of listening ( but not spreading) a good story ( even though I do protest!!!)

carolprudm
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Your chip is kind of big and obvious and travels through many posts. And yes, I can certainly look at a neat, tidy, well coordinated aisle and think "isn't that lovely" and not reach the same conclusion about one with a different look.

I cannot tell a lie....I hate ANYTHING in the aisle. Aisles are NOT storage areas. There is a reason for tack rooms. I'll make an exception for blankets hung on doors, even though they tend to get dirty and Smart Pack bags.

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
Boots that are two short. Spanish tops...they solve the problem.

Maybe for you it does. But I have big feet, stick legs and LONG calves. My 7 1/2 tall slims are 2 inches too short, 2 inches too wide, and too tight on my feet. I'm getting customs next time!

Spud&Saf
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ok my tacky list:

-Superior attitudes

-Failing to win/lose graciously

-Not putting your horse first

-Spending all your money on the best show clothes but cheaping out on training/lessons/clinics/care for your horse

caradino
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
i have a plastic trunk. can't beat $20 at wal-mart! and it sits upright in my barn locker anyway, so no ghastly blue plastic trunk in the aisle to bother anyone. :)

one thing that strikes me as odd is showing in the jumpers with a colored, square saddle pad while wearing a show coat. it just looks.. mismatched. i feel if you're wearing a coat, your pad should be white, if you have piping it should match your coat or shirt. if you're wearing a polo, go ahead and match a colored pad! but it just looks odd to me with a show coat.

i agree with y'all that at shows avoiding 'tacky' means looking neat, matched, and conservative.

at home i don't care what anyone else uses or in what colors, or if it matches, as long as it fits and is in good condition!

kristinq
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
Corgis are made for horses! I learned from watching Dogs101 on animal planet that corgis, specifically the cardigan, was bred to be around livestock. They are short so that when the livestock kicks, the hoof goes over the corgi and corgi can keep on herding.

Ooo, I didn't know that! That's pretty interesting! I really don't have anything against Corgis and JRTs, I guess I just grew up around barns that had ginormous, intimidating (at least to intruders) large breed dogs.

MoonLadyIsis
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:34 PM
not so much tacky as a pet peeve/dislike type of deal...

piss poor riding just because it is the jumpers. As in, botched lead changes, kick and pull, no sense of striding/riding (including the trainers standing at the ingate screaming "forget your lead just gallop")

Gnalli
Nov. 16, 2010, 02:49 PM

Not a fan of rainbow colored reins. I understand they have their place for the little kids in lessons. Just don't don't let the 7 year olds tell you that they universally look good.

I like western ensembles and colors when well done. Same for XC sets in eventing. I can't, however, see why neon color schemes (perhaps native to barrel racing?) are a good idea in most disciplines.

Oh, and the visible evidence of swamp-a$$ in breeches. I'm tough enough to deal with panty lines-- I'm not ready and happy to have folks wear undies. The other? Something should be done.

I can answer the deal with the bright colors for barrel racers. My 14 yr is getting a cute little paint mare for Christmas and all she can talk about are the colors that look good on her. She and her buddies wrap 1 leg a different color-and they do the same with their own socks-not a matching one in the bunch. They all say the same thing-life is too short to be all matchy matchy. I will say that when they show in other classes, they pull it all together and match conservatively. Speed events are all about the flash, lol.

As far as rubbermaid trunks-yes I hate them, but they work.

Truly tacky is a horse that is not taken care of right because the owner wants a short cut, or won't listen or take the time to make sure the horse is taken care of first before worrying about themselves.

Mags
Nov. 16, 2010, 03:00 PM

Thanks, this will be floating around in my head until noon on Thanksgiving:lol:

Tacky is showing when your horse needs new shoes.
Buying another crappy cheap bridle becouse you can't adjust your old one it's so dirty and stiff:confused:
Blaming the lesson kids when you can't find said bridle and it's fallen behind your trunk. (which is custom made and also filthy):rolleyes:

OK back to humming my happy tune.

Gnalli
Nov. 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
I could be persuaded to wear a showbow maybe.

If you gave me a bottle of Black Velvet, a Bedazzler and let me go on my own personal laser bling crystal encrustment joy ride, for sure!!!

:D You and I would get along just fine. I still want the brow band and cavesson that my daddy had back in the 70's with 3 or 4 rows of crystals across the brow band and a couple on the nose band...course that would be for my Racking horse...should we have a Bedazzler party?

WNT
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
I don't care if someone is riding commando to avoid panty lines. What is tacky is telling everyone that you are going commando to avoid panty lines.

doublesstable
Nov. 16, 2010, 05:36 PM
I don't care if someone is riding commando to avoid panty lines. What is tacky is telling everyone that you are going commando to avoid panty lines.

:lol:

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:02 PM

I literally just snorted peanut butter up my nose. Thanks a lot!:lol:

rmh_rider
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah when you do go commando with no panties it does say, hey I am going commando so you can't see my panty lines!! I also think that when I see black tights too. I am trying to look thinner in these black tights. Well you just go girl! Or guy, since Thomas1 reads this.

If there be panty lines, then well, ya know they are there. Ya just never know when you will WANT to have those undies on, and will want to wear them proudly.

With that said, I think when you are going commando and you fall off, get hurt or whatever, so bad, and then in front of God and everybody which includes youtube videos, maybe you will make CNN, FOXNEWS or your local news, there are now cell phone pictures, and cell phone videos, etc, when the paramedics, doctor, or maybe your friend or a neighbor, cuts your fancy tights off - be them plaid or hot pink - those with eyes will ALL get to see if you were "well groomed" or not, you just may rethink those panty lines, and come back over to the panty lined side.

"Well Groomed" ??? - please refer to the thread on Grooming brought to you by COTH. Ha ha. Great thread btw, a must read.

Been there done that, had the tights removed, but alas I WAS wearing undies, they were white btw. I was unveiled, and wow was I HAPPY I had on undies. I had to sit out in the open to wait for an ambulance. Of course everybody in law enforcement had to come check things out, they must have not been busy. Nowadays, I wear the wildest Hanes Her Way undies they have. That way if I ever have to unveil again, people will see my wild undies (no longer white ones any more) and not how "groomed" or "ungroomed" I may have been if I was going commando. Whether your pants or tights are cut off or peeled off (mine were peeled off, heck they were $150 tights) whatever you have underneath is for all to see at that time the end result is the same: comando, thong, or undies. And there will be talk. Oh-yeah. And hopefully, it will not end up on the internet.

Ok, tacky to me is seeing NO undie lines. Because then I think, I wonder if that person got hurt, and had to have their tights cut off . . . . they ain't gonna be happy if they are going to be judged on: groomed or ungroomed.

Fixing to clean my bridle right now! All my tack is black btw. Oh and leather too.

ynl063w
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
Ok, tacky to me is seeing NO undie lines. Because then I think, I wonder if that person got hurt, and had to have their tights cut off . . . . they ain't gonna be happy if they are going to be judged on: groomed or ungroomed.

I don't look at people's asses and I generally have way more important things to focus on when I'm at a horse show (and anywhere else really) so I can't even imagine what it must be like to be at a horse show and have this kind of mess running through your head the entire time you're there!

Running Fox Farm
Nov. 16, 2010, 07:00 PM
Ok my tacky list:

-Superior attitudes

-Failing to win/lose graciously

-Not putting your horse first

-Spending all your money on the best show clothes but cheaping out on training/lessons/clinics/care for your horse

Spud, I think you must've gotten confused and landed on the wrong thread. This doesn't belong on this li'l old tacky thread - this stuff belongs on page one of the thread "Stuff you wouldn't do if you were a real horseman". Bravo!
Also, to all the folks that may have been "ticked" by being " tacked" as tacky in the long course of this thread. You do realise we all have the good graces to keep our " thoughts of what's tacky" politely to ourselves if we should meet you at our local finals in low rises with a heavy bling belt, shadbelly, too-short boots, shirt collar open, no gloves, going commando and bragging about it, "swampy", with shavings in your horse's tail and monogrammed polos in neon colors on your horse , who by the way, is not braided. The thought paralyzes me ;) ;) ;)

Bluesy
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:14 PM
Is paint on latex in the hunter ring tacky?

I was just wondering for my next show.

I really want to stand out and catch the judge's eye so they remember how gosh darn good my round is.

I think adding bling might be a bit too much, what do you think?

KitCat
Nov. 16, 2010, 09:48 PM
^^^^^^ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I don't know... will your latex, bling and tack all be color-coordinating with your horse? :D

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but those fleecy girths at shows. I would probably go bareback before using one, but that has also been the one "no you may not at any time for any reason" of my trainer's.

twotrudoc
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:07 AM

:D You and I would get along just fine. I still want the brow band and cavesson that my daddy had back in the 70's with 3 or 4 rows of crystals across the brow band and a couple on the nose band...course that would be for my Racking horse...should we have a Bedazzler party?

Yes!! We had Morgans back in the '70s (I was little, cute and rode sadddleseat too!), I remember those bridles.

I obviously need to borrow a gaited horse as well as buy a Bedazzler.

loshad
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:01 AM
Is paint on latex in the hunter ring tacky?

Not if it's in conservative colors.

Bluesy
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
I was considering Deep Red and Gold.

What do you think?

ponyjumper525
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
cross cantering!

Arelle
Nov. 17, 2010, 10:50 PM
Doing it wrong because you're too "cool" to conform.

Oh god, I could rant on one rider for days. Nicest person I know, but I want to smack her.. you want to be serious? Act the part. I will not take you seriously (and neither will any BNT program you're desperately wishing to get into) until you lose the neon saddle pads, fix the underlying issues with your horse, and quit blaming your issues on politics.

:o

Aside from that, the only things I consider truly tacky are those that are old, obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious, and ill-fitting.

I know not everyone has a deep pocketbook, more like "wine taste, beer budget". But take CARE of the things you have - by old, I mean things that are falling apart and ragged looking.

I admit - I totally have a cheetah halter for my paint mare. I also have a zebra print blanket and wear loud (red, purple, blue) breeches when I school. I do it because it's FUN. I still wear a large tiara to work on my birthday. It's just how I am. Do I dare use these items when I'm at a show or at my trainer's under instruction? No! I'm lucky that I have enough of a surplus on my income to make "silly" purchases in addition to the nice, monogrammed, matching items that come out when I'm in a more formal setting. I'm also smart enough to be able to draw the line between living a little and nose to the grindstone.

Now, if you're going to talk the talk - walk the walk. That requires some effort (and $$) to do it correctly. Nothing tackier than someone who wants to do it, but lacks the drive to do it 110% of the way.

Alterrain
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:50 PM
low, loose nosebands. ugh.

loshad
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
I was considering Deep Red and Gold.

What do you think?

Iffy. It's not like we're eventers or *shudder* endurance riders. We're klassy. ;):D

ktm2007
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:21 AM

My JRT's are very offended by this comment and INSIST they are not tacky and do, in fact, have purpose. (Even if that purpose is to play tug of war with every pair of socks that I own, eat cat poop, and have very selective hearing...) They do agree that Corgi's are tacky, though :winkgrin::lol:

mvp
Nov. 18, 2010, 09:40 AM

And/or having the callouses down there to match.

Who do these people (would-be partners in bed) do these people think they're fooling?

That was my original question.

wildlifer
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
That silly hunter hair over the ears thing. It looks silly and pretentious and tacky. And showing a horse with shoes that needed to be replaced five weeks ago.

REH
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:56 AM
If you are the one selling these, please forgive me, but I have found tacky:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58754956/custom-zebra-horse-show-bucket?ref=sr_gallery_25&ga_search_query=horse+bowl&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

twotrudoc
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:17 PM
And/or having the callouses down there to match.

Who do these people (would-be partners in bed) do these people think they're fooling?

That was my original question.

What does this mean?

loshad
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:05 PM
What does this mean?

That someone's been hitting the sauce a little early? :)

sar2008
Nov. 18, 2010, 02:07 PM
This may have been said already, but.....

Those ugly baboon butt breeches. I can't stand those things. They are so tacky.

Also, this guy right here (http://www.downunderweb.com/store/media/Test_shire_horse.jpg). He's pretty tacky looking to me too.

ETA: White breeches to school in....a bit snotty, but sorry, I think it's tacky.

twotrudoc
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:26 PM
That someone's been hitting the sauce a little early? :)

Well, that's better than me thinking they were trying to get people in the sack by announcing they were riding commando LOL!!

doublesstable
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
That silly hunter hair over the ears thing. It looks silly and pretentious and tacky.

I SO agree with you. I just "CANNOT/WILL NOT" put my hair like that! I use a hair net but it's "INSIDE" my helmet. I guess being a rider in the 70 -80's with the "Hunter hair" IS OUT OF FASHION PEOPLE! :lol:

And having that hair lump over your ears is just annoying!

bazinga
Nov. 19, 2010, 12:25 AM
Okay here is how my list will go, now keep in mind I am a very conservative person. The only colours going on my horse are either black, navy, or white, and I always ride (even when I trail ride at my house by myself) in breeches and a polo type shirt (in the winter with a sweater over top).

Here goes my list:

Anything neon coloured (including but not limited to: polos (horse and rider), horse leg boots, saddle pads, standing bandages/cottons, breeches, blankets, bonnets, bridles, reins....etc.) [ this here makes me want to jump off a cliff, http://www.dontshootme.ca/horse-apparel-1/ my friend said she was going to buy a blanket and sneak in and put it on my horse so I could have a heart attack when I saw it, OR buy a bonnet and hide all of my horses custom ones so I have no choice but to use that one... great friend eh? ]

Orange tack... need I say more?

Coloured sheepskin, (when the sheepskin is coloured on half pads or open fronts, or shadow rolls...)

Black tack

Tack that has been duct taped together, and not replaced before stepping into the show ring

When the colour of tack does not match

Mylers with the hooks (I just think they look horrible in the hunter ring)

Pelhams with converters for people who are not 8 on a s/s mount or in the jumper ring

Kimberwicks (same as stated for pelhams)

Saddles that are too small for the riders

Rhinestoned spurs and/or stirrups

Helmets with colours on them... I like all black or with grey parts (GR8 or GPA)

Also anything that can be found on this website:
http://tackytackoftheday.blogspot.com/
Although I am think of buying one of those coloured saddles to use in the CET and OHJA medals next year ;)

Now since I stated what I found tacky I will admit all of my "tackiness".

I always have a bonnet on my jumper, black with navy and white trim, some of the bonnets have rhinestones some don't.

One of my crops is in the colours of the barn, another is very sparkley colours (it is tacky as hell but it is the best beater stick out there!!), and then when I do the hunters/eq I have a black bat.

I do have one wooden box, however when we have multiple horses showing I bring plastic containers.

I guess I am tacky since I always ride with brown belts, except when I have white breeches on which is when I wear a black one.

Oh ya and I do wear my hair down in the jumpers some times.

And I ride with my collar open in the jumpers more than I would like to be cause I forget to do it up a lot (too many distractions hehe). And I never put the actual collars on my show shirts unless I am doing the big eqs or have a marigold shirt on.
:)

Madeline
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:07 AM
If you are the one selling these, please forgive me, but I have found tacky:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58754956/custom-zebra-horse-show-bucket?ref=sr_gallery_25&ga_search_query=horse+bowl&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

I LOVE THOSE!!!

Now If I only showed more so I would have an excuse to get them.

seeuatx
Nov. 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
[ this here makes me want to jump off a cliff, http://www.dontshootme.ca/horse-apparel-1/ my friend said she was going to buy a blanket and sneak in and put it on my horse so I could have a heart attack when I saw it, ]

Around here, starting the monday after next, those are almost needed depending on how far out you live. I used to work out at a barn in the boonies, and even though it was a posted property, first week of deer season you could see little orange heads popping up in the fields not 10 yards from the paddock fences. Yes, we called the cops (big help they were :no: )but the horses stayed in with limited t/o in the arenas and closest paddocks that week.

I'm definitely not kidding either. Sadly, I know people locally who have lost their horses to irresponsible hunting. If mine lived out or was not in a clear area where illegal hunters would be seen a mile away, I would probably have one for that week at least. I would never take it anywhere (sadly I know one teen who has orange and black as her colors... shudder), but better safe than sorry around here.

Bluesy
Nov. 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
You should see how classy with a C Bluesy looks in his regal attire.

most of it is burgundy/deep red/maroonish and gold/cream. He thinks he looks quite smashing in it.

p.s.

classy with a c is much classier than classy with a k, but klassy with a k is definitely more classy than classie with an ie.

And Klassie is the least classy of all. that is what you would call tacky and tackish.

Iffy. It's not like we're eventers or *shudder* endurance riders. We're klassy. ;):D

rugbygirl
Nov. 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
[ this here makes me want to jump off a cliff, http://www.dontshootme.ca/horse-apparel-1/ my friend said she was going to buy a blanket and sneak in and put it on my horse so I could have a heart attack when I saw it, OR buy a bonnet and hide all of my horses custom ones so I have no choice but to use that one... great friend eh? ]

Tacky yes, and if you live in the middle of a city, I would say it is fairly ridiculous. OTOH, if you live somewhere that actual Hunting happens, neon orange should definitely be in your horse's wardrobe at this time of year! :lol:

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
http://www.horseyclothes.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACWV00

Just saw this and would have to say - the orange/red velvet blanket (is that crushed velvet?) is looking pretty tacky!

crazyhorses
Nov. 20, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hmm... I don't have many because when I'm at a horse show, I can't Really concentrate on anyone but myself :P LOL. On that note..

- I too HATE hunter hair ick. Plus it looks stupid when you have curly hair.

- Fitted saddle pads that are at least 4 inches too big...

- People who use standings when their horse(s) Obviously don't need them. Ew. I was so happy looking thru this weeks magazine and two of the horses that had won a big event (or something like that) Didn't have them on. I was happy :)

- Dirty tack/ horses at a show. If you're going to pay to be at the show, at least try and make yourself and your horse presentable. It's respectful to you, the judge and, most importantly, your horse!

- Braids that make a horses' neck look awful. My old gray mare (lol) had a massive neck. She had teeny hunter braids that someone did for us and they just looked awful because it made her neck look so... odd. lol. I will give the lady kudos for getting them super tight and neat! I WISH I could do that.

- Schooling in jeans at the show grounds. Just irks me. Dunno why. Actually, just schooling in jeans Anytime irks me lol.

- People who buy the latest tack because it's "in". What is UP with that sheep mentality?! Now I admit, looking the part is a good thing, but if you're going out to buy... horses you can't ride, helmets that are 500+ just because... then you irritate me, sorry.

Anyway. Those are really the only things that bother me. At SHOWS. If you're at home, wear whatever you want. I have these awesome bell boots and splint boots that have cartoons on them :D <3 But if you're going to a lesson then yeah.. I stick with the "norm". But I also like to have fun sometimes, like w/pink bell boots at lessons lol.

crazyhorses
Nov. 20, 2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.horseyclothes.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACWV00

Just saw this and would have to say - the orange/red velvet blanket (is that crushed velvet?) is looking pretty tacky!

omg! :lol:

equidae
Nov. 20, 2010, 06:28 PM
Something else that's tacky: Sideline commentating loud enough that the RIDER you're talking about can hear you as their galloping down a line.

It's happened to me at a show.. Obnoxious princess at the barn who CAN'T ride her way out of a paper bag commenting negatively as I piloted my horse down a line.. loud enough that I could hear every word. Yea, things are ALWAYS easier said than done and I've seen you struggling over freaking X rails so please let my trainer do the critiquing and kindly STFU ;) Armchair quarterbacks are never the riders who truly 'get it done', and the really good riders know things are never as easy as they seem.

doublesstable
Nov. 20, 2010, 08:14 PM
Something else that's tacky: Sideline commentating loud enough that the RIDER you're talking about can hear you as their galloping down a line.

It's happened to me at a show.. Obnoxious princess at the barn who CAN'T ride her way out of a paper bag commenting negatively as I piloted my horse down a line.. loud enough that I could hear every word. Yea, things are ALWAYS easier said than done and I've seen you struggling over freaking X rails so please let my trainer do the critiquing and kindly STFU ;) Armchair quarterbacks are never the riders who truly 'get it done', and the really good riders know things are never as easy as they seem.

Oh funny!

marg184
Nov. 24, 2010, 02:56 PM
Here goes my list:

Anything neon coloured (including but not limited to: polos (horse and rider), horse leg boots, saddle pads, standing bandages/cottons, breeches, blankets, bonnets, bridles, reins....etc.) [ this here makes me want to jump off a cliff, http://www.dontshootme.ca/horse-apparel-1/ my friend...

I would choose blaze orange colors from the likes of dontshootme.ca (http://dontshootme.ca) if there was a chance that me, my kids, or my horses and dogs were accidentally shot by an irresponsible hunter. Just go to their news (http://www.dontshootme.ca/pages/news-1) page -- there are so many yahoos out there.

We are even scared to leave our horses out in the paddocks adjacent to the forest (for obvious reasons) during hunting season (which seems to be all fall).

And don't jump off a cliff...

Bluesy
Nov. 24, 2010, 08:10 PM

Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.

Voltaire

Mor4ward
Nov. 25, 2010, 10:11 PM
Tasteless show names are the pinnacle of *TACKY*

Some years ago, we had one horse in our local circuit, named "Hot sex on the beach" or something like that. I'm pretty sure the owner eventually got banned, pending a name change.

Forget the fact that you have kids at the show grounds ... have a MODICUM of respect for your sport!

There's clever, there's witty and there's plain VULGAR!!