PDA

View Full Version : Video Critique

ponyjumper525
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:46 PM
This is my first rated show and the horse's first rated show - oh, and I rode this horse about 15 times total before. We're showing in Low Children's Jumper. Other than not getting 2 in the in and out... any critiques (about him and my position)?

thank you so much!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kavitasinha100?feature=mhum#p/u/3/-hNG0HWs4Pc

doublesstable
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:13 PM
I have to say he's really cute! Looks like he's loving it. When I first watched it I didn't read your post ((sorry)) but thought - - they would do well in the jumpers... and then read your doing jumpers lol....

I would work on more communication - - he's kind of just saying to you "hang on honey, let me do it".... but riding him only a few weeks, not bad!

Some gymnastics, trot fences, dressage (flat stuff) to get him more adjustable.... but looked really fun to me.... dig the horse!

Percheron X
Nov. 12, 2010, 01:05 AM
How did he feel to you during your ride?

Adding that information will provide a more encompassing perspective for others to form their critiques.

Reagan
Nov. 12, 2010, 08:29 AM
I love your horse! He really looks like he loves his job! You guys look great, especially under the circumstances. I would like to see you holding back less. You are second guessing your decisions and that is leading to the chips and the two strides in the in and out. But that will come with confidence in him. You need to be able to trust pushing him into a fence and taking the long spot.

ponyjumper525
Dec. 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks everyone!

spacytracy
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:01 PM
That horse loves his job. Ears pricked the ENTIRE round. So cute.

No critiques from me, he is a doll.

KateKat
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:08 PM
horse is adorable! What is he?

He was just charging around the course, obviously loves to jump. Reminded me of my horse, lol!

ponymom64
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
Your horse is adorable!! LOVE him!!

joiedevie99
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:53 PM
I would work on a few things...

He seems to want to bid at the fences a bit. He takes a shorter, quicker stride at the base. I'd work on getting that last stride longer and more relaxed.

He also seems to lack some horizontal push- tucking his hind legs up underneath his body instead of stretching out. I'd work on jumping low-wide oxers, and lengthening his stride over cavaletti. I doubt it will come naturally- but I think it will really help to improve his efforts, and his ability to land and maintain his stride.

MintHillFarm
Dec. 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
Great expression on his face! Well done...

SillyHorse
Dec. 14, 2010, 03:13 PM
I love the way you ride him. (He looks like a pistol! :lol:) Your leg is tight, and you're not pinching with your knee. Your stirrups are short enough that you don't have to make a big move over the fences to get up out of the saddle. It's a nice picture.

ponyjumper525
Dec. 14, 2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks SillyHorse :)

He's my trainer's Percheron x TB and GM loves him (called him a machine that knows his job!)

Yes, he's a wonderful ride that loves jumping!

purplnurpl
Dec. 14, 2010, 03:37 PM
oh my he's cute.
soooo shiiiiiney....

canter poles might help him.
he does get a bit of a pony stride going at times.

I'd put canter poles everywhere.
On the way to and after fences.
though the in and outs.
EVERYWHERE.
: )

DeucesWild11
Dec. 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
While your ride looked pretty good and I agree with the other posters I find that I was distracted by your unbuttoned collar. It seems your horse is formally dressed with a braided tail but you haven't even bothered to button your collar. I realize that this is a jumper class but please, if you are going to dress your horse up and wear a hunt coat, please button your collar. Sorry to be picky!

Come Shine
Dec. 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Yummy! Did you pin?

Just wanted to add: He added in the in and out but was clean. Looks like he landed a bit shallow off the oxer in but doing a one out would have been super flat to the vertical. I liked how he thought, balanced himself back and got his knees up and square. Did people go clean doing the one?

SkipChange
Dec. 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
While your ride looked pretty good and I agree with the other posters I find that I was distracted by your unbuttoned collar. It seems your horse is formally dressed with a braided tail but you haven't even bothered to button your collar. I realize that this is a jumper class but please, if you are going to dress your horse up and wear a hunt coat, please button your collar. Sorry to be picky!

Ditto, sorry OP- I've done it before, but this look really should be kept out of the ring. I've seen judges threaten elimination to riders who showed with their collars unbuttoned! Wear the shirt unbuttoned around the barn if you want, but please have it all buttoned up in the ring.

Other than that your horse is adorable. :)

findlymine
Dec. 14, 2010, 05:58 PM
Your horse is adorable!!!! It will just time to get used to the speed and turning. I agree he needs to work on hi adjustability other than that great job!!!!!

ponyjumper525
Dec. 14, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes, sorry about the non-buttoned collar. I felt that as soon as I went in and got frowned at myself. I SWEAR I usually button my collar!

Anyways, thanks for all the comments, and yes, canter poles have helped him tremendously!

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
overall the impression I got is you and the horse need to learn that times are made in the turns not the straights.
with some practice and a good jumper trainer, I think you two have the potential to go places.

ponyjumper525
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
Thank you!
This was the first time I had shown him in a jumper class (and it was in March of 2010). Now, we've been showing a lot more together and pin very well in the jumper classes :)

McLovin713
Dec. 15, 2010, 03:24 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the percheron crosses, I have one myself I wouldn't trade her for the world, they are wonderful and athletic!

really nice job! he is ADORABLE!!