PDA

View Full Version : Does this look big to you? Saddle seat size...

HorsRdr477
Nov. 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
Okay so after waiting almost 4 months for my Antares saddle, it finally arrived. I rode in it today and it is nice and comfy, but I was a bit concerned regarding the seat size. It's not huge, and I didn't feel like I was getting lost in the saddle or anything. My instructor said it looked a little big, but not crazy. She had me check with the head trainer and she said it looked great. If you look at the pictures, some of them look like it's big, but others look perfect. My trainer also took some video of me too, and I though I looked good. What do you think?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/HorsRdr477/IMG_1282.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/HorsRdr477/IMG_1281.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/HorsRdr477/IMG_1280.jpg

OntheBuckle
Nov. 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
Hi there! Beautiful saddle, and I am not an expert by any means, the first pix looks good to me, but the close up ones, yeah, it looks a bit big....but I don't know, if it feels good to you...I'd say it would be ok, but again, I'm a real real greenie to this stuff. I bet it feels great though :)

Po-Po
Nov. 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
In the first photo it appears that you are sitting correctly in the saddle...it looks like an excellent fit.

In the second photo you are sitting too far forward....notice how little room there is in front of your knee...you are on the edge of the flap...unlike the first photo.

I agree with the Head Trainer....it's a very good fit, just be sure to sit in the sweet spot...not too far forward. ;)

AndNirina
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
I have an Antares also that fits very much the same way. It looks great! You're really going to love it when it breaks in :) Congrats!

HorsRdr477
Nov. 12, 2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks guys! I guess it's a keeper. It is just a huge financial decision, I just wanted to make sure it was perfect!

woops
Nov. 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Great saddle!! I think it looks okay but saddle fit is soooo personal.
What I have learned is if it doesn't allow your leg to be where it belongs than it is a problem. what is the model -- deep - flat ??

Have to ask where do you ride?? I went to California last year and this so looks like a place I went too ---- SO Jealous of you view!

HorsRdr477
Nov. 12, 2010, 12:03 PM
Great saddle!! I think it looks okay but saddle fit is soooo personal.
What I have learned is if it doesn't allow your leg to be where it belongs than it is a problem. what is the model -- deep - flat ??

Have to ask where do you ride?? I went to California last year and this so looks like a place I went too ---- SO Jealous of you view!

It's a half deep.
I ride at North Middle Ranch

ohrebecca
Nov. 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'd agree with Po-Po, first and third look great, second looks a bit off. Most importantly, how does it FEEL?

AliCat
Nov. 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
In the first photo it appears that you are sitting correctly in the saddle...it looks like an excellent fit.

In the second photo you are sitting too far forward....notice how little room there is in front of your knee...you are on the edge of the flap...unlike the first photo.

I agree with the Head Trainer....it's a very good fit, just be sure to sit in the sweet spot...not too far forward. ;)

Agreed.

See Made You Luke
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:22 PM
This is random, but you mentioned you board at North Middle Ranch.. I have a friend that just moved out there and was looking at it. Do you board at the main or north ranch?

HorsRdr477
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
This is random, but you mentioned you board at North Middle Ranch.. I have a friend that just moved out there and was looking at it. Do you board at the main or north ranch?

I ride at the North Ranch. I don't have my own horse, but I have a wonderful trainer!

Flash44
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
I would be more concerned with how my leg felt than how my butt fit...it looks like your leg hits the flap and knee roll just right. Does your leg feel secure? Also, do you have a shot from the rear? If your butt cheeks are hanging over the sides of the saddle, it's too small. It may be a hair long for your rear, but you look like you do not have an ample tush, and as long as your leg feels secure, I would not worry about the saddle being a little long. Ride the sitting trot without stirrups for a little bit, then put your hand flat down on the back of the seat of the saddle. You should be able to fit about a hand between your butt and the back edge of the saddle. At the sitting trot, you are usually pretty relaxed and sitting deep, so this will give you the best indication of fit.

Bogie
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:34 AM
Agree with the others -- you're sitting too far forward in the second photo. In the other photos, it looks like the saddle fits.

Make sure the saddle lets you drop down in your knee and bring your leg under you so that you are balanced. You don't want to have your legs out in front of you (the are a hair forward) as that pushes you back in the saddle.