PDA

View Full Version : Best price for Charles Owen GR8? Willing to purchase from UK

pattnic
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Where can I find the best prices on a Charles Owen GR8? It's what fits the best, and I need to replace mine after last night (interestingly enough, it did not involve a fall from my horse). It's an unexpected expense, so I need to save some $$$.

Thanks!

TrakeGirl
Nov. 11, 2010, 12:03 PM
Just a word of warning – you do take a bit of a risk ordering online that you’ll get an ‘old’ helmet. I ordered a brown one online and when I got it, the tag in it said it had been manufactured 3 years prior! Now – I am sure it wasn’t used, just had been sitting around waiting for a buyer, but I had no idea what the storage conditions had been during the life of the helmet. Was it stored climate controlled inside? Was it stored in a blazing hot warehouse and the foam has already started to degrade?

Normally, I’m not very picky, but a.) these helmets are pricey and b.) this is my head we are talking about. I want a ‘fresh’ helmet, manufactured in the last year, so when I keep seeing the reminder to replace your helmet every 5 years...I don’t already feel like I’m 3 years into it. So I sent the one back, and choose to spend the extra money and buy one locally – even though I could get a better deal online.

That being said – those Thanksgiving sales are coming up! (VTO, Beval, 123tack, etc) Might want to hold out for one of those.

Mel0309
Nov. 11, 2010, 12:13 PM
Charles Owen dealers are not allowed to go below specific prices set by Charles Owen. You may find better deals in the UK but make sure you look at the shipping prices as those can add up.

Belair
Nov. 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
This UK ebay store seems to have most of the sizes for about $200 with shipping. I don't know about manufactured dates, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-CHARLES-OWEN-GR-8-GR8-RIDING-HAT-HELMET-/300490049997?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Equestrian_Cloth ing_MJ&var=&hash=item8bb33a56c7#ht_2237wt_648

Jumpthemoon16
Nov. 11, 2010, 01:25 PM
I bought mine brand new (still in the box, with tags, wrapped up) from a private owner thanks to COTH connections :) Check eBay or similar sites for new ones, you can find nice deals. Of course always use a reliable dealer and get pictures!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I paid $160 for the helmet and shipping together.