PDA

View Full Version : Show Pads and Girths?

justjumpit278
Nov. 11, 2010, 06:45 AM
Right now I currently show in a Fleeceworks half pad. I also have a sheepskin full pad that goes all the way around my saddle. I love them dearly, but I'm thinking about picking up just a plain fleece pad to show in.
What do you guys prefer? What do you think looks "classier" and nicer?
Also what type of girth do you prefer - plain leather or one with a fleece/sheepskin backing? I know some horses need one or the other (for rubbing reasons, etc) but is there one you prefer the "look" of better?
Thanks for your input!

Dallasgreenie
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:28 AM
Plain pad and leather girth!

Gnomeland
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:49 AM
Plain pad and leather girth!

KnKShowmom
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
When our horse used a half pad we got a set from Wilkers - the fleece saddle pad is thinner where the 1/2 pad rests which elimnates the bulk and makes it look more finished around the saddle.

We used a fleece backed leather girth because that was what the horse needed but have always like the look of plain leather.

Was really surprised to see someone still using a fleece cover over a leather girth last weekend at a local medal finals - didn't think anyone used one of those anymore.

BAC
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:26 AM
A plain leather girth is less distracting than all that "fluff" - as GM will tell you, and that's what I would use unless your horse is sensitive and requires something else. In that case, whatever is best for your horse. I use a dark girthsock for sensitive horses, and some sheepskin backed girths are less fluffy than others.

The plain fitted white fleece pad appears to be standard as well as the most popular in the hunters and eq.

supersly
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
I think the half pad is less distracting as a fitted saddle pad. And a fleece leather girth i think looks reeeaaallly classy! I personally HATE leather girths.

ponymom64
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:38 AM
We use a sheepskin full pad and a plain leather girth. I was able to find a sheepskin pad that is only fleece where the saddle sits and around the edges, it is quilted only under the flaps.