PDA

View Full Version : I admit - I wouldn't have bought my horse...

To the MAX
Nov. 10, 2010, 05:51 PM
if I had seen his picture first. I got him off of CANTER and I just *know* that I would have dismissed him as soon as I saw his picture if there had been one posted. But he was close by so I called and went to see him - and fell in love with his personality. But I have to say...he was not overly impressive (not to mention about 2 inches shorter than he was supposed to be). :lol:

Here he is about 2 months after I bought him:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v196/246/0/1332030010/n1332030010_1364709_3331.jpg
And here he is after his clip job today:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs492.ash2/76529_1480276130178_1332030010_2404386_5660887_n.j pg
And here's a picture of us jumping this summer:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs230.snc4/38843_1368392013145_1332030010_2181440_1445663_n.j pg

Just comparing those two confo pictures made me realize how much he's grown up in the 2 1/2 years I've owned him. He's never going to be the fanciest horse, but he's quiet and kind and a complete blast to ride.

I don't think this post really has a point. I'm just so happy that I went to see him that day. :D

Have you ever bought a horse that turned out to be more than you expected them to be?

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 10, 2010, 06:14 PM
I jumped my quirky, perpetually green OTTB over 3'6" a couple of weeks ago after a summer of trotting around the X-rail classes at the shows. I never thought the height would be a problem--he just needed to learn to go to the shows and chill.

I took him up to my trainer's to school one day two weekends ago and thought, "what the hell--let's see what he can do." We did a couple courses at 2'6" 2'9", and then I got the juniors to set a vertical for me.

The first time at 3'6", I buried him terribly and he still yanked his knees up and cheerfully jumped it. The next time was absolutely perfect. I quit while I was ahead at that point!

I actually think he's going to be the type of horse who needs the height to keep his attention. :eek:

Swale01
Nov. 10, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'm so glad you posted this (and your boy is beautiful!) I'm another CANTER-cutie owner who continues to be amazed at how mine has progressed.

But my guy aside (I could brag on him all day) I think one important point I hope people take away from your post is that a picture is never a 'complete picture' when it comes to a horse. As a CANTER volunteer who takes the pictures at the track, all too often I walk away and look at my pictures later when I'm sending in the listings and think "CRAP, this horse is SOOO much nicer than the picture I got of him!!!" And I'm frustrated with myself for feeling like I might have short-changed the horse. It's always worth a look in person if you're a serious shopper and you're curious.

I've taken pictures that make an uphill horse look downhill, a horse that might have been starting to twitch look over at the knee, a horse with good legs look knock-kneed because of a split-second lean or a horse with a great shoulder look straight because of a bad angle I took a picture at. I have learned to take several pictures of each horse and have learned how to try to avoid these mistakes....but they still happen once in a while.

Which is why I cringe when some people on this forum enjoy ripping their volunteer photographer 'conformation' shots to pieces and I always preach, go look at them! :yes:

netg
Nov. 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
All I know is, I'm trying to pretend I didn't stumble upon a CANTER picture of a horse who looked to be built exactly as my guy looks in every photo I try to take of him. It doesn't flatter him, but still gives you an idea of his looks. Pictures definitely don't capture it all, though. And that's what the blurb said about this guy. He looked so much like my horse I had to check out his pedigree. Sure enough, my horse's sire is his grandsire. Not a common bloodline, and possibly more common in warmbloods than racehorses now....

I would have gone to see my horse if I'd seen his photo, based upon my trainer's word. However, I saw him first, at a show, and my reaction was "that's the most beautiful horse I've ever seen!" He also got a stone bruise and was lame that day, and I heard people talking about how crazy he was. But his gorgeousness stuck with me for the next 6 months until my trainer suggested we check him out. :)

Vandy
Nov. 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
A friend who is a Western trainer called me one day and said he had a really nice 16 hand brown thoroughbred that looked like he could jump. I told friend to bring him over, and when he arrived, I almost said, "don't bother taking him off the trailer" :lol: He was closer to 15 hands, a chestnut roan, and UGLY. However, long story short, I figured it couldn't hurt to sit on him, I fell in love instantly, bought him that day, and sold him for a nice profit a few months later. If I'd seen a picture first - or even got a more accurate description - I definitely would have passed!

TheUnderstudy
Nov. 11, 2010, 12:02 AM
Well in 2004, when looking for my first project, my trainer and I had the perfect horse we were planning to go look at (off of CANTER website of course). She was on a farm so there were others for sale as well. We had seen another mare on the website (also at this farm) but just weren't impressed at all. Turns out the 2nd mare was absolutely amazing!! She came trotting up the field and my trainer goes "wait a minute,what about that one?" The one we originally came to look at was way less than what we expected. So away we went with the 2nd horse, unimpressive through picture and description, tucked in the trailer. She ended up being an amazing horse.

Unfortunately, due to a pasture accident, she went blind in one eye and due to some spookiness, just couldn't be a show horse again. She is now in the GOV MMB and has produced a lovely Premium Oldenburg Colt by Rosenthal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/RubyRed06/Mee2136.jpg (here she is a couple of years ago)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/RubyRed06/DSCN3139.jpg (and here she is with her foal)