PDA

View Full Version : WIHS to move for 2011?

APirateLooksAtForty
Nov. 10, 2010, 02:16 PM
Or is that just another rumor, like we have heard the last 5 years? :winkgrin:

MHM
Nov. 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
Let's hope it's more than a rumor!

KayPink
Nov. 10, 2010, 04:45 PM
No! I love that it's still downtown in a big city arena! I hope it stays!

Bugs-n-Frodo
Nov. 11, 2010, 12:39 AM
I hated it down-town. I think it was best when it was at the US Air arena. It would be nice to have it somewhere where there is space for the horses.

gottagrey
Nov. 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
Does the rumor mill say where it might move to?

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 11, 2010, 01:25 AM
I liked the general location of the Verizon Center, but yeah, it can be hard to block off enough streets for all the temporary stabling and vans.

I wish they could work out something with the lighting though. Whatever they had going on this year made my eyes ache for some reason.

supersly
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
I dont think it would move. Everyone likes the fact that your in the city where other places you have to drive an hour to get food ha. And they also have vanning and everything down to a science. Its expensive but its also the only way you can do it.

RockinHorse
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:37 AM
Everyone likes the fact that your in the city where other places you have to drive an hour to get food ha.

Not everyone. I actually know more people who dislike the location than who like it.

supersly
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
oh wow. well i ABSOLUTELY hate driving around looking for restaurants. Like Lexington Horse Center. You have like 3 hotels and 3 places to eat.

MHM
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:51 AM
oh wow. well i ABSOLUTELY hate driving around looking for restaurants. Like Lexington Horse Center. You have like 3 hotels and 3 places to eat.

Personally, I'd much rather have my horse in a safe and comfortable environment at a show.

Even if it means I have to look harder for a restaurant. Or eat at the same place twice.

Darkwave
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
As someone who is now exclusively a spectator, I love having it downtown.

Were I still showing, I don't think I would go to this horse show. Way too hard on the horses; way too much of a logistical challenge.

APirateLooksAtForty
Nov. 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
Agreed, RockinHorse. Not to mention the logistics with Prince George's, having grooms at both places, etc etc. The whole situation is hardly horse-friendly (which, in my mind, is much more important than whether there's a nearby Ruby Tuesday's :D)

REH
Nov. 11, 2010, 05:51 PM
I *personally* would like it some place where I didn't have to throw my horse on a van with other people's horses, had room to hand walk/hack my horse when he wasn't showing, room for supplies and stall aisles that are wide enough that one can get horses into the stalls without worry for their safety. The Verizon Center is cool, but it's also hard as heck on the horses and the competitors and their support team.

I've heard rumors that it's going to http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/home.htm under a tent.

If that is in fact the case, I'm one step closer to realizing my dream of being a circus performer. :D

Trixie
Nov. 11, 2010, 05:56 PM
National Harbor would sure be convenient for me! Plus those who need to eat good food can go to Old Town.

I miss U.S. Air Arena. It was a PITA in a lot of ways but there seemed to be plenty more outdoor room.

makeasplash
Nov. 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
If that is in fact the case, I'm one step closer to realizing my dream of being a circus performer. :D

I had a similar dream when I was 4. That would be awesome! Though I wonder about lighting in a tent.

lauriep
Nov. 11, 2010, 08:57 PM
National Harbor would sure be convenient for me! Plus those who need to eat good food can go to Old Town.

I miss U.S. Air Arena. It was a PITA in a lot of ways but there seemed to be plenty more outdoor room.

We showed there when it was still the Capital Center. Cold, could be very wet when it rained, but it was a great show with lots of vendors. The restaurant everyone ate at had decent food and variety. And easy to get in and out of. The walk down the ramp to the ring/schooling area could be dicey!

MHM
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:22 PM

We showed there when it was still the Capital Center. Cold, could be very wet when it rained, but it was a great show with lots of vendors. The restaurant everyone ate at had decent food and variety. And easy to get in and out of. The walk down the ramp to the ring/schooling area could be dicey!

I concur.

Plus there were several decent hotels nearby, and a grocery store right there for carrots!

monalisa
Nov. 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
Ditto the Cap Center. Loveg having it there. You could even take your horse out for a graze. Verizon Center is very hard on the horses.

Duckz
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:56 AM
Why not the PG equestrian center/show place arena? Are enough spectators really showing up to the Verizon Center to justify the increased seating? FWIW I haven't been to the Saturday night Grand Prix in ages so I'm not sure how big the crowd gets.

ETA, did they tear down the Cap Center when MCI/Verizon/the phone booth was opened?

NorthFaceFarm
Nov. 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
A horse show at national harbor? I don't even know how that would be possible. Stabling in the parking decks? Tent over a parking lot for a ring?

DCN
Nov. 12, 2010, 01:25 PM
They recently set up a big tent at National Harbor for Cirque de Soleil. I didn't attend so I don't know where it was located, but I heard they're considering doing the same thing at National Harbor for WIHS. Rumor though -- I haven't heard anything absolute other than that this was the last year of the agreement b/w WIHS and the Verizon Center.

As for having it at PG County Eq. Center, I assume people don't like the idea of showing there again just a few weeks after Capital Challenge.

gottagrey
Nov. 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
Why not the PG equestrian center/show place arena? Are enough spectators really showing up to the Verizon Center to justify the increased seating? FWIW I haven't been to the Saturday night Grand Prix in ages so I'm not sure how big the crowd gets.

ETA, did they tear down the Cap Center when MCI/Verizon/the phone booth was opened?

yes, they demolished the Cap Center in 2002 which was the reason why WIHS had to change locations. If the show was to move to PG/Show Place Arena they would no doubt lose a whatever spectator following they have - which as we all know is not that great.. particularly for any weeknight performance - no one is going to want to make that trip to PG during rush hour.. certainly better for horses and competitors, not so good for the show in terms of any revenue.. and because of lack of spectator exposure, the show could also lose whatever corporate sponshorships they get...

I also can't imagine they would consider a tent in Baltimore Harbor...but then who knows

dags
Nov. 12, 2010, 02:50 PM
They recently set up a big tent at National Harbor for Cirque de Soleil. I didn't attend so I don't know where it was located, but I heard they're considering doing the same thing at National Harbor for WIHS. Rumor though -- I haven't heard anything absolute other than that this was the last year of the agreement b/w WIHS and the Verizon Center.

As for having it at PG County Eq. Center, I assume people don't like the idea of showing there again just a few weeks after Capital Challenge.

We anchored out in National Harbor while that tent was up. I swear it light the place up for MILES, but there was a ton of space.

MHM
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
A horse show at national harbor? I don't even know how that would be possible. Stabling in the parking decks? Tent over a parking lot for a ring?

You must not have attended the National Horse Show when it was at Chelsea Piers! :lol:

Seriously, though, I would vote for PGEC. It's so much better for the horses to use a horse facility.

I've only been to Washington once at the present location, but I doubt they get enough spectators to offset the giant inconvenience and expense for the actual participants at the show.

lauriep
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:54 PM
You must not have attended the National Horse Show when it was at Chelsea Piers! :lol:

Seriously, though, I would vote for PGEC. It's so much better for the horses to use a horse facility.

I've only been to Washington once at the present location, but I doubt they get enough spectators to offset the giant inconvenience and expense for the actual participants at the show.

There is absolutely NOTHING special about PG, in fact it is getting bit rundown. It already hosts Cap Chall, along with numerous shows all season. Indoors is supposed to be special, something to strive for. Yes, the urban locations can be challenging, but I have yet to see a horse that was adversely affected, other than being fresh. They handle it just fine.

MHM
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:40 AM
Yes, the urban locations can be challenging, but I have yet to see a horse that was adversely affected, other than being fresh. They handle it just fine.

There was a horse a few years back at Washington who died after an accident in the tiny schooling ring there. He was either kicked or run into, and had to be put down as a result.

Of course, accidents can happen anywhere, but why stack the odds against the horses?

PGEC may not be the Taj Mahal, but at least there's enough room for everybody, and no adjacent nightclubs with drunks coming out as you're getting ready to school.

LexInVA
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:01 AM
National Harbor is an unlikely possibility. The show simply cannot fit there at the Plateau.

PaintedWhisper
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:26 AM
There was a horse a few years back at Washington who died after an accident in the tiny schooling ring there. He was either kicked or run into, and had to be put down as a result.

Of course, accidents can happen anywhere, but why stack the odds against the horses?

PGEC may not be the Taj Mahal, but at least there's enough room for everybody, and no adjacent nightclubs with drunks coming out as you're getting ready to school.

If I remember correctly, this accident did not happen in the schooling ring, but in the actual ring during schooling hours during the time when they let people get into the ring. There was an incident a few years back of a horse dying in the schooling ring, but it was due to an aneurism and had nothing to do with the schooling ring.

lauriep
Nov. 14, 2010, 06:36 PM
That is correct, PW, it was in the arena during the early morning schooling. A horse got loose at PG a couple of years ago, got out onto the road and caused an accident that killed a woman.

There will be (and are) accidents at ANY show venue caused either by carelessness or just bad luck. I am not aware that there are any more at urban venues than anywhere else.

That said, there are fewer and fewer of these places willing to take horses.

gottagrey
Mar. 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry folks it just signed w/ the Verizon Center for 3 more years

LexInVA
Mar. 15, 2011, 05:48 PM
Sorry folks it just signed w/ the Verizon Center for 3 more years

Unless you're responsible for it, why are you apologizing? :lol:

grandprix123
Mar. 15, 2011, 06:26 PM
Im really glad to see that its signed to stay at the Verizon center. I can say as a rider, that showing at Washington was one of those experiences I will never forget. You really feel like the real deal, and the complicated logistics almost make it even more exciting. I would give anything up to return this year but the Eq is almost impossible to qualify for and my hunters on stall rest. Its just such a special experience, walking across the street from the hotel to school at 3 was inconvenient, but I was so excited I barely noticed what time it was.

I've always thought indoors are supposed to be just that, something special. Harrisburg and Washington will always be what I remember as the best shows. Cap Challenge was fun and the indoor there is great to ride in and its just as competitive (or probably harder) than the others, but it doesn't have that traditional urban feel that I associate with 'Finals'.

Sorry about the rampage, I guess I never got off my chest how I felt about Maclay Finals moving.

HoofaSchmigetty
Mar. 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
You can take this to the bank...the WIHS is DONE!!! A new location is being sought after. All can thank Johnson Horse Transport for the finale at the Verizon Center.

They have been RAPEING people for that silly 7 mile ride for too long. EVERYONE has been complaining for years.....They finally succeeded in putting an end to it.

Currently looking like the new location will be the PG Center.

I'm just sayin'

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Mar. 15, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have to say, while I am not the experienced roadie that many posters on this board are, I have had the unique opportunity of experiencing showing at WIHS at the Verizon Center. There is a reason that most of the people speaking out in favor of keeping it at VC are coming from a spectator's perspective. It is an absolute nightmare to show there.

The logistics are insane. The "layman's" stalls are tiny, hard as a rock, loud, and arranged conveniently close to a very active fire house in the middle of one of the busiest city blocks in DC. The year I showed (the same year the horse was injured and put down), there was a "lunging area" set up in the street with a bit of footing spread over the asphalt. There was NO place to hand walk your horse, and even if there had been, it wouldn't have been particularly beneficial, as the environment wasn't conducive to it. The warmup ring/staging area was reserved for riders getting ready to show. Schooling times are limited to one hour in the middle of the night (mine was at 2:30am), and consist mostly of people cantering and cantering and cantering the entire time (can't really blame them). I was lucky that my horse was a very limber 6 year old at the time, and that he was not in a program that was particularly demanding schedule or workload wise. Actually, I wonder what with the stricter NSAID rules at this point in time how showing at venues like VC affect the performance and comfort level of horses. It was kind of like putting an Olympic athlete in a bunk bed, then pulling him out for a few minutes before asking him to run a race. The experience was incredibly unique and definitely valuable. It felt special to be an exhibitor there, mostly because the whole thing seemed so bizarre. Would I do it again, even in the best of circumstances? HELLLL no.

The issue is, nothing was poorly run. Everything was well-organized, and the management made sure every bit of usable space/time was filled accordingly. There was literally no way to improve upon the facilities or make things easier on the horses (riders aside!!). Sure, it was neat for all the people in DC that evening to see the horses and to interact with some of the riders, but it is definitely done at the expense of "creature comforts".

I would absolutely be in favor of moving it to a more horse friendly venue.

Kahuna
Mar. 15, 2011, 09:15 PM
I also heard that a 3 year contract had been signed to keep WIHS at Verizon.

gottagrey
Mar. 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
Unless you're responsible for it, why are you apologizing? :lol:

Lex obviously you haven't kept up w/ reading the posts about WIHS... I'd venture to say the majority of folks that post about WIHS would like to see it move someplace else, hense the "sorry folks"

gottagrey
Mar. 16, 2011, 05:43 PM
You can take this to the bank...the WIHS is DONE!!! A new location is being sought after. All can thank Johnson Horse Transport for the finale at the Verizon Center.

They have been RAPEING people for that silly 7 mile ride for too long. EVERYONE has been complaining for years.....They finally succeeded in putting an end to it.

Currently looking like the new location will be the PG Center.

I'm just sayin'

I think they're not taking it to the bank - at least not for 3 years as they signed a contract w/ Verizon; as far as shipping fees go - that might have been set by the show and not the shipper - so I would hold off on that kind talk about Johnson's - I know plenty of folks who LOVE them...
So whoever told you that WIHS is looking for a new location and it would be PG is incorrect.