PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed Article in Wash Post--How Did I miss this?

REH
Nov. 10, 2010, 09:14 AM
I don't *think* anyone has posted this yet--article on the infamous Seaweed working at WIHS and a bit of his background:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/07/AR2010110704752.html?referrer=emailarticlepg

NeedsAdvil
Nov. 10, 2010, 09:45 AM
Aww, I love Seaweed. There is even a Facebook group for him! Last I heard he was working with the shakeytails, does he not have a regular employer now?

MHM
Nov. 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
There is even a Facebook group for him!

Really?? :eek:

He was definitely at Syracuse.

REH
Nov. 10, 2010, 10:17 AM
Yup, definitely a FB group for him, but it doesn't get updated that often....needs more traffic

Offset
Nov. 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wasn't he linked romantically with that Racetb woman years ago?

Moesha
Nov. 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
Offset I thought it was you he was romantically involved with??......There are those pictures from Raleigh?? hmmm....I guess now is as good a time as any to "scan" and post them on facebook...I can always save some for a later hand to play ;)

VirginiaBred
Nov. 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
Offset I thought it was you he was romantically involved with??......;)

:lol::lol::lol: WHERE is the 1st place ribbon smilie when you need it? This post WINS!!! :D:cool:;)

fair judy
Nov. 10, 2010, 03:32 PM
i find it ineffably sad that no one is commenting on the article saying that 68 year old Seaweed made his bed on a cardboard box:no:.

i remember Seaweed working in the kitchen back when the only thing you could get to eat for breakfast at a show was an egg and bacon sandwich. he always had a smile on his face, and a kind word. flawed, gentle, and wise in the ways of humankind with all its vices and prejudices, Mr. Eugene Johnson tugs at our heartstrings, but not hard enough for us to make certain that those who employ him treat him better than their dogs.

who will bury this kind and simple soul when he dies? will we all let him live his days sleeping on a box, and speak loudly about what a grand fella he was at his funeral? shame on us.

chunky munky
Nov. 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
I agree FJ. I am shocked by that. Curious who his actual employer was for the show. This is pretty shameful.

horsepoor
Nov. 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
Well...all I know is based on the article, but it says he made $800 working at that show (a week, I assume?). It may be that he chooses to live the way he does, sleeping on cardboard. But he does sound like an interesting character.

Doberpei
Nov. 10, 2010, 04:30 PM
I don't *think* anyone has posted this yet--article on the infamous Seaweed working at WIHS and a bit of his background:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/07/AR2010110704752.html?referrer=emailarticlepg

Infamous: Having a bad reputation; NOTORIOUS 2) Causing or deserving infamy. 3) LAW. Convicted of a crime, as treason or felony, that results in infamy.

Infamy: 1) Evil fame or reputation. … 3) A publicly known criminal or evil act.

I read the article expecting him to be exposed as one of the original insurance fraud horse killers.

Infamous is a negative word, usually used for serial killers or catastrophic events. I didn't get that this guy was either based on this article. Perhaps those in the know know more and this is an inside joke.

CBoylen
Nov. 10, 2010, 04:42 PM
Awesome. Seaweed is an icon.

Haalter
Nov. 10, 2010, 05:21 PM
i find it ineffably sad that no one is commenting on the article saying that 68 year old Seaweed made his bed on a cardboard box:no:.
Thank you Fair Judy, I agree with you 100%.

Doberpei, I assumed that "infamous" was used affectionately, as Seaweed is quite a character.

http://horseshowdiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1406 A retirement fund isn't a bad idea...Perhaps someone who travels to more shows than I do would want to organize something like this? Honestly, in the days of 3'3" half-million dollar classes, you'd think the industry magnates could come up with something to help support someone who's been part of the industry for so long...

anothersomeone
Nov. 10, 2010, 08:17 PM
If I am not mistaken, Seaweed even made an appearance in the book "A VERY YOUNG RIDER." (The wonderful picture picture book about Vivi Malloy.)

Brooke
Nov. 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
Don't know anything about Seaweed, and I didn't get past the first several paragraphs, but that article made me very sad.

ynl063w
Nov. 10, 2010, 09:42 PM
Well...all I know is based on the article, but it says he made $800 working at that show (a week, I assume?). It may be that he chooses to live the way he does, sleeping on cardboard. But he does sound like an interesting character.

I agree completely. Unless WIHS provided housing for the duration of the show for everyone they employed with the exception of Seaweed, I don't understand the problem. And I'm certainly not going to take responsibility for the fact that he slept on cardboard for the duration of the show - I was nowhere near the place at the time. The article seems to indicate that he is not uncomfortable with the lifestyle that he has chosen for himself. And I agree, he does seem like quite the character, so thanks for posting REH.

islndgirl
Nov. 10, 2010, 09:58 PM
Yes, he is definitely in A Very Young Rider!!

horsemom17
Nov. 10, 2010, 10:22 PM
I agree FJ, that made me sad too. I think what stuck in my mind is, the amount of money most (not all) people have in the horse show world, A circuit of course, would help this guy out a little more.....

I understand he may choose this, but he is 68 and God love him!

REH
Nov. 11, 2010, 09:22 AM
Doberpei, I assumed that "infamous" was used affectionately, as Seaweed is quite a character.

Exactly. Thank you.

MHM
Nov. 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
Yup, definitely a FB group for him, but it doesn't get updated that often....needs more traffic

I'm not finding it. Care to post a link? Or send a PM? :)

REH
Nov. 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Search for "WE LOVE SEAWEED"

MHM
Nov. 11, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks!

OAK
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
Seaweed is the best !! We used to have him help at shows from cleveland to NJ, NY etc. He was alwalys there waiting for us to arrive. Lots of times he would have the stalls already bedded!! This is back in the late 60's and the 70's
He would stay in the JUNK stall at the show. But in those days that is where grooms stayed.
I am surprized he was only paid $800, that is a shame. But he is very faithful, wonderful person. And WILL do anything for you. We miss seeing him at the shows. We don't show any more.

Doberpei
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
By definition infamous cannot be used affectionately, and I apologize for not citing my reference - I took that definition from Websters New College Dictionary. I did not try to put my spin on the word.

You can try to use the word that way, but it doesn't work that way. A word has an accepted definition, so now we get to guess that you mean one thing when you use a word incorrectly. I am sure you can understand why I was confused. Tommy Burns is infamous, I was left wondering why Seaweed was.

MHM
Nov. 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
By definition infamous cannot be used affectionately, and I apologize for not citing my reference - I took that definition from Websters New College Dictionary. I did not try to put my spin on the word.

You can try to use the word that way, but it doesn't work that way. A word has an accepted definition, so now we get to guess that you mean one thing when you use a word incorrectly. I am sure you can understand why I was confused. Tommy Burns is infamous, I was left wondering why Seaweed was.

I had no trouble understanding the OP's use of the word, nor did others, regardless of the dictionary definition.

alterboy
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:33 AM

Get over yourself. Really. This is an equestrian BB.

Seaweed is one in a million.

The first year I showed, the barn pre-paid for a hotel for all our grooms at the first horse show. They were royally offended. They asked us in future to please give them the cash. They chose to sleep in the junk stall and tack rooms and pocket the cash. $800/week is $41k/year tax free. Where Seaweed chooses to sleep is his business. Don't judge unless you know all the facts, and one article hardly presents all the facts.

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 11, 2010, 06:18 PM
The word 'infamous' didn't have a negative connotation for me either, but probably because I know of Seaweed (although I've never met him).

I am certainly glad that in my days as a groom that we were given both a prepaid room along with the industry standard pay. Which, in 1986 was $350 a week. I remember thinking I was making a ton of money!

I'd imagine Seaweed digs his life exactly how it is. While I agree that the show doesn't dictate where he sleeps - all the other show workers have made their own sleeping arrangements as well, whatever they may be.

While it doesn't make me happy to hear his compensation and living arrangements, I imagine a guy like Seaweed, who actually has some pretty amazing connections, is a pretty happy dude who enjoys being able to pick up and go and be wherever he wants, whenever he wants.

lauriep
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:18 PM
I am told that he chose this because he does his own nightwatch security, for which he makes extra cash, and prefers to be near the horses. Knowing Seaweed, I completely believe this and trust him to be able to do what is right for himself. Seaweed is a smooth operator, and has always lived a "free and easy" lifestyle. Hasn't always made the best choices, but hey! He's still here!

While I was in FL last year, watching a night jumper class in the spectator's tent, he strolled through and announced, completely out of the blue, a HUGE piece of news (which I can't remember at this moment, but it surprised the hell out of me then). All of us thought he couldn't possibly know what he was talking about, it was that off the wall/private/under the radar, but damn! A short while later, what he told us came to pass, exactly as he said!

Just remembered what it was: That the National Horse Show was going to join Syracuse. This was AT LEAST 2 weeks before the announcement was made. But Seaweed knew. I even asked one of the "National's" team the next day about it and he totally denied it. But Seaweed knew...

CBoylen
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:26 PM
I think if Seaweed decided to tell everything he knew; everyone would be really scared! :lol: I know if I was writing a book on horse shows, he'd be the first person I'd interview.
Frankly though, he's a lot safer sleeping at the horse show than anywhere else. Horseshow people, that know Seaweed, know he's eccentric but harmless, and watch out for him. People that don't know him probably do not react to him in the same way.

chunky munky
Nov. 11, 2010, 07:26 PM
The Captain is an institution in the horse show world. There actually have been and I think still are people that make sure he has what he needs. Perhaps this article is just a wild card that a freelance writer was able to sell.

Giddy-up
Nov. 11, 2010, 09:43 PM
I am surprized he was only paid $800, that is a shame.

How many days did he work & what was his role at the show?

I ask only cause I've worked for show managements & typically $100-125/day is pretty standard for most of the positions it mentioned.

fair judy
Nov. 12, 2010, 07:44 AM
i have "known" seaweed for 50 years. yes, he chooses to sleep where he sleeps, but he has Never Known any more than that. he is one of the last of the old guard, and a real character.

i'm not calling out any particular show or its management. just sayin' the industry could do more than give him a pat on the back and make his life more comfortable. we don't take care of our own as well as we should be......

lauriep
Nov. 12, 2010, 07:58 AM
i have "known" seaweed for 50 years. yes, he chooses to sleep where he sleeps, but he has Never Known any more than that. he is one of the last of the old guard, and a real character.

i'm not calling out any particular show or its management. just sayin' the industry could do more than give him a pat on the back and make his life more comfortable. we don't take care of our own as well as we should be......

I don't agree. Seaweed is not a stupid man and certainly "knows" there are other options for sleeping out there. He chooses this. You can't force him to go to a motel just because it makes YOU feel better. Until someone finds him incompetent/incapable of making these decisions, they are his to make.

I do agree about the industry not taking care of its own, but that is a whole 'nother thread. At least there is the Equestrian Aid Foundation that helps equestrians in trouble with financial support. That is more than there used to be. Grooms tried at least twice during my tenure to organize and get benefits, but there just wasn't enough sustained interest.

Jumphigh83
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:25 AM
If you think horse showing is expensive now, wait until the grooms "union-ize" ...cha-ching!

fair judy
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:26 AM
laurie, i never said seaweed is "stupid". please don't infer that i did. seaweed is an innately intelligent man, who is very savvy.

that still doesn't change the fact that his life could be made a little easier.

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
laurie, i never said seaweed is "stupid". please don't infer that i did. seaweed is an innately intelligent man, who is very savvy.

that still doesn't change the fact that his life could be made a little easier.

Where did Laurie quote you as saying you called Seaweed stupid? Am I missing something?

867-5309
Nov. 12, 2010, 01:34 PM
While I was in FL last year, watching a night jumper class in the spectator's tent, he strolled through and announced, completely out of the blue, a HUGE piece of news (which I can't remember at this moment, but it surprised the hell out of me then). All of us thought he couldn't possibly know what he was talking about, it was that off the wall/private/under the radar, but damn! A short while later, what he told us came to pass, exactly as he said!

Just remembered what it was: That the National Horse Show was going to join Syracuse. This was AT LEAST 2 weeks before the announcement was made. But Seaweed knew. I even asked one of the "National's" team the next day about it and he totally denied it. But Seaweed knew...

Lauriep is right on. Seaweed misses nothing. I had helped him with something minor one day & the next day I swung by the barn he was at en route to a different destination to pick a piece of inexpensive hardware I needed back at my stall. He was working off to the side and I was chatting with another groom for a minute. As I left to go to my final destination, Seaweed, without a word, came over & handed me several of what I was headed to go get, assembled together by him in a geometric pattern. I must have mentioned it & he was totally out of earshot and I didn't think he even saw me. It was like the chairs all assembled in Poltergeist outa nowhere for a second but in a good way. His photography? I'm a fan!

He's navigates the world to the beat of his own drum, his way on his terms and has a lot of doors open to him if ever needs anything.

MHM
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:35 PM
He's navigates the world to the beat of his own drum, his way on his terms.

Exactly. :yes: