PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Recipes for Nights When You Ride

TwoDreamRides
Nov. 9, 2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe I should be saving this for an Off-Topic Day, I'm not entirely sure.

Does anyone have some shorter (3-4 hours = length of time at barn) crockpot recipes they would recommend for those cold winter nights I head out to the barn after a day at work? My schedule usually means that I run home after work to pick up the dog before heading out to ride and today I was thinking about how great it would be if I could toss some food in the crockpot at that time, also, so that I had a yummy dinner to come home to. I'm never running on-time enough to do this in the morning, which is why I am looking for "barntime length" recipes. And, if you can keep 'em under 500cal, I'll love you even more!

JMurray
Nov. 9, 2010, 05:43 PM
Beef stew is one that does up quick

Beef or Tofu cubes
Carrots
Mushrooms
Potatoes
Mushroom soup
Garlic

spacytracy
Nov. 9, 2010, 05:52 PM
Slow-cooker Chicken Taco Soup (amazing!)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

Pulled pork (takes longer than 4 hrs, but awesome as well)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Pulled-Pork/Detail.aspx

AJHorsey
Nov. 9, 2010, 05:56 PM
I generally do slow cooker in the AM when I am showing or having a barn party! My fav source is the "Cook It and Forget It" series. (I usually use the Lightly version.)
Lots of great recipes, and so far my barn party "guinea pigs" have loved them too! (Shhhhh! Don't tell them, LOL!)

JohnDeere
Nov. 9, 2010, 05:57 PM
I heart Bear Creek soups. If your not local to me,

http://www.soupsonline.com/m-47-bear-creek.aspx

Can be done on stove or crock pot. Dont think they tell you about crock pot but cat see why not if you tur n it up high.

HorsesinHaiti
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:10 PM
I generally do slow cooker in the AM when I am showing or having a barn party! My fav source is the "Cook It and Forget It" series. (I usually use the Lightly version.)
Lots of great recipes, and so far my barn party "guinea pigs" have loved them too! (Shhhhh! Don't tell them, LOL!)

I have Fix It and Forget It Lightly also, pretty good.

You certainly 'can' throw canned stuff in to heat while you are gone, like spaghetti sauce, canned soup, beans & weenies. put the weenies in first so they cook through. I'd stay away from using raw meat if it will only have 3 hours, even on high.

Rhyadawn
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:10 PM
Just about anything you would make in the oven or pressure cooker can be done in the crockpot, so what do you usually cook?

thatsnotme
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:36 PM
One of my favorites in the crock pot-kinda a twist on roast & potatoes. Cut up a few sausage links, ad 1 package dried fruit (I like apples and apricots, but anything would do), some red onion and a potato or 2. Sprinkle with basil, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Ad a cup of water. Yummy if you like sweeter type things.

FalseImpression
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:44 PM
I have been known to put the stuff together the night before and cook it overnight. Then I only have to reheat before dinner. Or put it together the night before and let it cook all day on low. Life is so easy with a crock pot (I actually have two and have used them both together!)

xQHDQ
Nov. 9, 2010, 07:35 PM
I love my crock pot. Many of the recipes say to set it on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours, so you should be able to adapt for your schedule. The great thing about the crock pot is that you can't overcook. If you go for 12 hours you most likely will not ruin the dish.

To keep it horse related: The crock pot definitely helps manage time to be able to ride.

rizzodm
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:20 PM

I second chicken taco soup, I use this recipe all the time and it's always a favorite.

Dawn

elf to AppendixQHLover
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:24 PM
logged in as my elf but whatever.. :lol:

Everyone has loved this so far and it is so easy
Cheesy Chicken

boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
salt, pepper and garlic powder on chicken, place in crock pot cover in soup cook low 6-8 hrs, or high 3-4 hrs ish.. yummy yummy yummy.. can serve over noodles or rice

Freebird!
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:30 PM
Here's an easy one:

1 Boston Butt - or whatever cut of beef "roast" you like
1 jar of Dill Pickles

1. Place roast in Crock Pot.
2. Dump entire jar of Dill Pickles over meat.
3. Turn on Crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours or so.
4. Take meat out and shred with fork.
5. Place on buns, and top with Cole Slaw.
6. Spread BBQ Sauce on Buns.
7. Enjoy. :)

I also LOVE cooking chicken in the crock pot. I throw about 4 or 5 FROZEN chicken breasts in the crock pot, and then just add whatever I have on hand. Sometimes it's chicken noodle soup, sometimes it's a Mexican soup, sometimes it's creamy pasta and chicken, or you can just go healthy and have chicken, broth and veggies. After about 4 or 5 hours, I shred the chicken with two forks and add it back in for another hour. It's ALWAYS good.

gdolapp
Nov. 10, 2010, 12:25 AM
Make chili up the night before, I have a removable insert for my crockpot so I just make the stuff up stick it in fridge then plug it in the next day.
You could plug it in and turn on medium when you take care of the dog before heading to the barn.

camohn
Nov. 10, 2010, 07:07 AM
I put the stuff on low in the am/have it on all day/ready when I come in. Between an off farm job and the barn stuff...I am the Crock Pot queen!
Chili, chicken soup, beef or chicken stew, pot roast, spaghetti sauce with sausage in it, seafood chowder,bean soup......

PebblesNana
Nov. 10, 2010, 07:51 AM
Love this one! I was not sure about the combination until I tried it.

*4-6 Pork chops
*Can of Cheddar Cheese soup
*Can of French Onion soup.

Yummmmmy!

Dapples7
Nov. 10, 2010, 07:59 AM
This recipe for crockpot chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-and-dumplings/Detail.aspx

If you use chicken cutlets instead of halved breasts, it can easily be done in 4 hours instead of 5-6. I like to use cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken, and I add a tiny bit of sage too. It's SO good.

Aggie4Bar
Nov. 10, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've done this one in a crock pot, but I cooked the ground beef the night before:

Southwestern Black Bean Stew
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southwestern-Black-Bean-Stew/Detail.aspx

And I strongly (very strongly) recommend using the following for the taco seasoning, which I don't use when browning the meat but rather just dump in and stir since it is after all a soup... :

Bill Echol's Taco Seasoning I
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx

OlmosHeaven
Nov. 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
This is one of my favorites. It's not original with me and I'm afraid I don't know who came up with it.

Greek Chicken Stew

Spray crockpot with vegetable spray. Place four chicken breasts inside, pour in 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of artichoke hearts and 20 pitted kalamata olives. Cover and cook for 4 or 6 hours.

Serve on couscous (takes 5 minutes) and sprinkle with feta cheese.

Donkaloosa
Nov. 12, 2010, 09:12 PM
Toss a chuck roast (can cut it into smaller hunks for faster cooking if you want to) into the pot, add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a package of dried onion soup mix. I've done it in 4 hours, just gets more tender the longer it cooks. Makes it's own gravy, too.

Arab/WBGirl
Nov. 12, 2010, 11:21 PM
Easy Taco Soup:

Double all ingredients if needed for larger families or lots of guests.

1 lb Hamburger meat
1 med/large Onion (I like lots of onions so I use a large)
1 can Black Beans
1 can White Shoepeg Corn (this really is the best kind to use)
1 can Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes (we use our own canned tomatoes from our garden)
1 large jar Salsa (I like WalMart's Black Bean and White Corn Salsa)
1 envelope Taco Seasoning (use your favorite brand)
1 envelope Ranch Dressing mix

Chop onion, add to hamburger meat and cook until done. Drain meat. Add all ingredients to crockpot and simmer on low or medium for several hours. Serve with tortilla chips, fresh chopped onions, shredded cheese and sour cream.

You can also make this in a large soup pot or dutch oven and serve it immediately after it's heated through. But it is best to let it simmer for a couple of hours to let the flavors blend. Very easy, very filling, and wonderful on a chilly fall/winter evening.

jn4jenny
Nov. 13, 2010, 03:34 AM
Not that I don't appreciate a good hunk of meat with "cream of" soups, but I'm cringing that that's what 90% of the suggestions here are recommending. How...healthy. And diverse.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ is, IMO, the best crock pot blog on the 'net. The chick does all sorts of interesting stuff in her crock pot--fish, banana bread, fruits and veggies, you name it she does it.

If you're looking to bring more veg into your diet, I also highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker-Recipes/dp/1558322566/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289637211&sr=8-1

Finally, the one thing crock pots don't do well is pasta, so I have expanded my crock pot's diversity by investing in a Fasta Pasta. It's a microwave gadget that makes up to 4 servings of pasta in 12 to 15 minutes. I throw some pasta in the Fasta Pasta as soon as I get home, and by the time I'm done powdering my nose and taking out plates etc., the pasta is ready for my crock pot creation. This allows me to make tuna casserole, noodle soups, mac and cheese, mock lasagna, etc. on crock pot nights.

Chief2
Nov. 13, 2010, 03:43 AM
I see it is time to blow the dust off of my crock pot! Thank you so much for posting these!

And just to keep it horse related:
Warm Barnyard Beet Pulp
Place beet pulp in crock pot
Add hot water
Cook on low or high depending on how much time you have
Unplug crock pot, wrap in a towel and bring to the barn
Once there, plug into an electrical outlet, turn on low setting
Saddle up, ride, untack, cool out horsie
Dish up the beet pulp!

Crooked Horse
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
It doesn't get any easier (or yummier) than this!

In crock pot:

Stew meat OR cubed pork OR boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Cover with salsa verde (any brand will do) and a little (about 2/3 cup) chicken broth. More salsa/broth if you are using more meat/cooking for a family.

That's IT!!!!! Cook all day on low or 4 hours on high.

Serve with tortillas or over rice (can use rice cooker with timer so everything is waiting for you).

We never get tired of this one and it's SO easy.
I also go to the barn after work and any dinner shortcuts are invaluable.

camohn
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:19 PM
I made this one today in the Crock Pot. After riding and raking leaves....I ate my soup and it was good! I had it with a piece of left over chicken and some homemade sourdough bread. Yum!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Soup-II/Detail.aspx

camohn
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:23 PM

If you use chicken cutlets instead of halved breasts, it can easily be done in 4 hours instead of 5-6. I like to use cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken, and I add a tiny bit of sage too. It's SO good.

I will have to try this one!

Falconfree
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ is, IMO, the best crock pot blog on the 'net. The chick does all sorts of interesting stuff in her crock pot--fish, banana bread, fruits and veggies, you name it she does it.

I was about to recommend her blog, it really is excellent!

Frank B
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:14 AM
Check out the Bear Creek (http://bearcreekfoods.elsstore.com/view/category/1314-bear-creek-8-serving-mixes/) soup mixes. They take 10-15 minutes stovetop but can also be done in a slow cooker. Put mix in the cooker, add water, and maybe "kick it up a notch" with additional ingredients.

A can of beef stock substituted for some of the water enhances the flavor of the veggie-beef soup or minestroni. Use chicken stock for the chicken noodle soup.

Frozen fish or a can of clams and a small can of corn turns the potato soup into a chowder.

A little frozen broccoli enhances the cheddar-broccoli soup.

A package makes a half-gallon, costs $3.75 at our local WalMart, and the flavors get better when reheated for the second or third time around. Smaller package sizes are available at some stores.

copper1
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:09 AM
going to have to start using the old crock pot more!

www.iasa.arabiansinsport.org

Bogey2
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:18 AM
you all have me dusting my crockpot off as well, some great recipes. I love to grill when I am done in the barn but this time of year can't do it as much.

WB Mom
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
This one is really good, and so easy! It needs to cook all day, though. You will need to adjust to get the servings you need.
1 bag baby carrots
2 cans new potatoes or some raw new potatoes, washed
1 chuck roast
1 can french onion soup
1 bottle red cooking wine
In a large crockpot:
Put carrots and potatoes in the bottom with roast on top. Pour on the soup and wine.
Cook all day - totally awesome beef burgandy!
You can also do this without the veggies too.

FLIPPED HER HALO
Nov. 14, 2010, 11:42 AM
I make this for my daughter and it's healthy, which is big here.

Depending on how many people you are feeding you may want to double the recipe.

Salsa Verde Chicken

Boneless chicken breasts
1 jar salsa verde
Instant brown rice (or white if you prefer)

Put the chicken and salsa in the crockpot and cook all day on low or a few hours on high.

When done, shred chicken with fork in crockpot.

Pour in instant rice. I admit I don't measure, I just dump what I think is enough to soak up all the salsa.

Put lid back on and let sit for 10 minutes

Stir again to make sure all rice is ready and then enjoy.

Scan&Shelby
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
Wow.. lots of great suggestions, thanks for the ideas.

I threw one together last night before heading to the barn. Wasn't sure if it would work but it was pretty good.

3-4 boneless chicken tenders
enough marinade sauce to cover them ( I used an Oy Vey brand)
cooked on low until we came home, maybe 3 hours

I thawed some stir fry veges I had in the freezer and mixed them in with the chicken after pulling it apart. Cooked some rice and we were eating within 20 minutes of coming home. No leftovers!:D

BeastieSlave
Nov. 14, 2010, 12:38 PM
I love this idea! I usually do crock pot stuff all day while I'm at work, but I think some of these suggestions will be perfect for those 1-2 hours when I'm at the farm after work... Thanks!

Falconfree
Nov. 14, 2010, 01:38 PM
Wow.. lots of great suggestions, thanks for the ideas.

I threw one together last night before heading to the barn. Wasn't sure if it would work but it was pretty good.

3-4 boneless chicken tenders
enough marinade sauce to cover them ( I used an Oy Vey brand)
cooked on low until we came home, maybe 3 hours

I thawed some stir fry veges I had in the freezer and mixed them in with the chicken after pulling it apart. Cooked some rice and we were eating within 20 minutes of coming home. No leftovers!:D

Chicken tossed in the crock with anything saucy almost uniformly turns out well for us! Our favorites are chicken with salsa and chicken with BBQ sauce. Crock pots really are lifesavers when it comes to dinner on those crazy nights. :)

Noctis
Nov. 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
One of my favorites for the kids is Crockpot BBQ Chicken. Goes GREAT with fresh veggies on the side too.

BBQ Chicken:
4-5 Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (whatever fits easily in the bottom of the crockpot really)
1 bottle of Jack Danielsl BBQ sauce (you can use other kinds, but this stuff is AMAZING)

Put the frozen (or fresh really, I just always have frozen handy) chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Cover completely with the bottle of BBQ sauce. Thats IT. Cook on low for 8hrs then shred with fork. Great over just about ANYTHING, or even just alone with veggies (fresh, for speed lol). You can cook it on high for about 3-4 hrs too, works just as well.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 14, 2010, 05:33 PM

Made this tonight and yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! I used cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth instead of water and used reduced fat biscuits. Also added the sage and some poultry seasoning. Instead of chicken breasts I used chicken tenders so it cooked really fast!

sparky6
Nov. 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Crock Pot Fajitas

4 chicken breasts
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 packet fajita seasoning

Put all ingredients in crock pot on high for 4ish hours, serve with tortilla, cheese, lettuce....whatever you like!

JenLS
Nov. 14, 2010, 06:38 PM
That chicken taco soup sounds great! What kind of beer do you use in it? We usually have Guinness and Killians in the house, I wonder if one of those would work?

camohn
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
Made this tonight and yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! I used cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth instead of water and used reduced fat biscuits. Also added the sage and some poultry seasoning. Instead of chicken breasts I used chicken tenders so it cooked really fast!

I made it too.....added pepper, garlic and poultry seasoning to mine to jazz it up being a tad bland. Lacking canned biscuits in the fridge I made cheese biscuits (with double the cheddar called for)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheese-Drop-Biscuits/Detail.aspx
and plopped them on top to cook. Hubby and kids approved!

rugbygirl
Nov. 14, 2010, 08:15 PM
Ground chicken or turkey
Colourful variety of vegetables
4L V8 juice
cracked black pepper

Stick it all in the crock pot, only takes a few hours. I usually use whatever fresh vegetables are in season, I love it in the Fall, I will usually use at least one nice squash cut into cubes along with kohlrabi and turnips. I have also thrown in pickled banana peppers.

This recipe is BETTER if you brown the ground meat in a non-stick pan and drain it then put it in the crock pot, but it works if you just put it all in. v8 comes in a low-sodium variety as well, if you are concerned about sodium.

Shermy
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:12 PM
I make Chili in my crockpot all the time. Whatever you make, I can NOT stress this enough!!

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?cat_id=1337&prod_id=3200

The Reynolds Slow Cooker liners are worth their weight in gold. NO real clean up if you use them!! Can NOT recommend them enough!

FLIPPED HER HALO
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
Oh and don't forget the old standby of chicken caccitori.....

Chicken breasts, boneless
Spaghetti sauce
Bit or red wine
Mushrooms

Shred chicken with fork and pour over pasta.

horse-loverz
Nov. 14, 2010, 10:45 PM
Love this one! I was not sure about the combination until I tried it.

*4-6 Pork chops
*Can of Cheddar Cheese soup
*Can of French Onion soup.

Yummmmmy!

Tried this the other night.. YUMMY and the hubby and kids LOVED it!!!

Haalter
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:28 AM
Horse-Loverz or PebblesNana - how long do you cook that one for? Sounds yum!

shygirl
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:13 AM
I have a jar in my cupboard marked "Chicken Spice" which contains a super-batch (as in, 16 times the recipe or so) of this:

Ingredients:
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 apple or 1 onion, quartered
1 (4 pound-ish) whole chicken

Ideally, you rinse the chicken, take out the organs, cover with this spice mix (the outside skin and in the cavity, if you want to go all-out) and put it in the fridge overnight. (I don't think I use a full 10 1/2 tsp. of the spice mix per chicken; I just shake it on until the chicken is covered.)

Although I have also just thrown the spice on just before cooking the chicken, and it still worked out. It's just yummier when the spice has time to soak in.

Then when you're ready to go ride, you put the chicken in your crockpot, stick apples or onions into the cavity and cook it on "high" for about 4 hours.

The carcass can then be used to make a pretty decent soup, also in the crock pot.

Aggie4Bar
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:25 AM
You can also do pork roast, beef roast, or whole chicken in your crock pot.

Beef roast: Season meat (salt, pepper, garlic salt, whatever), toss in some potatoes, celery, and a carrot or two and walk away. Add a packet of french onion soup mix for extra flavor, if you're so inclined. It will make its own gravy.

Pork roast: Season your pork. Add with slivered apples, onion, sauerkraut, and walk away. Or if you're into bbq pulled pork, omit the apples and kraut, and add your favorite bbq sauce later.

Chicken: Thaw and rinse your whole bird. Season liberally. Stuff some celery in the cavity, stuff it the crock pot, and go do your thing.

The good thing about pot roast and chicken is the leftovers are versatile. Leftover roast can become bbq beef sandwiches or stew. Leftover chicken can become chicken salad, casserole, chicken and dumplings, etc.

Word of caution: When cooking meats that contain bones in a crockpot (i.e. pork chops), particularly to "fall off the bone" doneness, it's best to strain out your liquid before adding a thickening agent or any type of cream soup. Otherwise, you may end up with small bone chards in your food.

CanTango1
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:33 AM
I think I posted this one before but we love it !!

Chicken breast
Green pepper
Vidalia Onion
2-3 cans of Basil oregano garlic tomatoes
1 can of water
1- chicken boullion cube
salt & Pepper

I always add more Italian seasoning too

Cook all day and when you get home boil some egg noodles and I top with some Mozz. cheese !!

I also make the same variation with a chuck roast but I leave out the cheese for this one :)

johnnysauntie
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
I picked this one up from a friend.

Sweet potatoes - peeled, sliced.
Red onions - sliced, separated into rings
Skinless chicken - I use breasts for convenience
Your favorite bbq sauce.

Put potatoes in bottom of crock pot. Drizzle w/ a bit of bbq. Onions next, then chicken, then a bit more bbq. I cooked a small quantity on low for an afternoon (4 hours?) - 2 potatoes, an onion and 2 breasts.

It's tasty and healthy. I would imagine that a pot-full would take longer.

There was enough moisture in all the ingredients that I didn't need to add water (and the friend who suggested this to me didn't mention water either.)

horse-loverz
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:46 AM
Horse-Loverz or PebblesNana - how long do you cook that one for? Sounds yum!

I put it in before I went to bed for the day and it was done when I woke up so... 6 hrs on low with thick chops but it was probably done way sooner

Bluey
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
Y'all are making me sooooooooo hungry.:lol:

Not crockpot, but to most any kind of regular, not creamy soup, you can add a small low sodium can of V8 and it makes the soup much tastier.
You can add the same to any rice, pasta, TV dinner, most anything out there just for a little bit more taste.

This way, you can eat practically immediately after riding, if you forgot to plug in your crockpot.;)

For whoever said using canned food is not that healthy, I say, nothing is healthy if that is the only food you eat.

Sure, try to eat a little bit of everything and all in moderation, even canned or crockpot or any other.:)

sisu27
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:49 AM
Thank God for the crockpot!! I have the same routine as many here....race home from work, change, grab dogs and off to farm. Crockpot is the only way I eat proper food during the week!

I make a quick Hungarian Goulash that is really good:

Dredge cubed beef in flour and paprika then brown with some onion.

Throw in pot with tall can of Hunts tomatoe sauce and leave on high. Go ride.

Come home, cook some egg noodles, throw some yogurt or sour cream in crockpot and serve over noodles.

Simple but hearty and tasty.

myhorsefaith
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have a crazy dr appt, vet appt week, so last night I cooked this one:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/09/moroccan-lentil-soup-crockpot-recipe.html

never made it before, but the house smells yummy. I taste tested it this morning and yumm, can't wait for dinner!

I can see myself adding some beef or chicken to it for an all-inclusive meal.

myhorsefaith
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
Oops one of my favorites is also slow-cooker chili.

Pretty much like this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chili-II/Detail.aspx

but with more beef, more beans, cumin, and more of all the spices listed... yum that sucker lasts the 2 of us 4 days at least of dinner and lunch. Its one of our favorite winter recipes.

crazy gray horse
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:27 PM
My favorite in the crockpot is chili. I also love pork tenderloin in the crock. I just got a recipe book that has a section on crockpot soups. I love soup in the winter. We're going to try a new soup every week!

Love some of these ideas - the chicken taco soup is definitely one to try.

2DogsFarm
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:11 PM
First off: THANK U,MODS! < for leaving this thread open :winkgrin:

Really, it is horse-related trying to figure out how to eat decently & still ride!

I am an A.M. Crockpotter - just throw it all in after feeding & before leaving for work.

Whoever posted about the beef roast with pickles: out here in Hoosierland we call that Eye-Talian Beef & do it with a jar of pepperoncini. Most of the heat cooks out of the peppers but you may want to use mild if you don't like some hot to your beef.
Just dee-lish : 9

If anyone has had success doing BBQ ribs in the crockpot I'd like to know how.
Mine always come out too dry or greasy :no:

now I need to print this thread and the links to the recipes :D

Alterrain
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
I am vegan, so this may not appeal to all of you, but the DH LOVES IT (and he eats everything)

xtra firm tofu, cubed. put it in the bottom
cover with peas, carrot, corn, etc (sugar snap peas!)
dump on: premade vindaloo sauce OR
can coconut milk, can tomato sauce, curry powder, a little cayenne.

Serve over rice, or with naan.

I have made this with pumpkin and butternut squash instead of tofu also. YUMMY!

Belair
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:32 PM
I am vegan, so this may not appeal to all of you, but the DH LOVES IT (and he eats everything)

Do you saute the tofu first, or just throw it in? Indian food...yummy!

spacytracy
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:37 PM
I tried the cheddar cheese & cream of chicken soups with the chicken and its looking amazing. I tried a bite and YUM. Cant' decide if I should put it over noodles or white rice....hmmm

Thanatos
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
Ok, I am a paranoid, crazy person. Is there a danger of having the slow cooker on all day while you are away? I am always so scared to come home to a burned down house (I don't run the dryer when I'm away because of that) and thusly, have a beautiful slow cooker that I only use on weekends when I am already home all day which seems to defeat the advertised purpose. Any thoughts on the risk? Or am I being stupid as I have no qualms about going out and sitting on the back of 1200 pounds of flight animal, leaping over large, heavy obstacles at decently high rates of speed but I'm scared of the crock pot? (see? I made it horse-related).

asb_own_me
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:57 PM
I'd say just make sure you have a crock pot in good repair and that the cord isn't nicked or loose.

One from a garage sale that has a frayed end where it connects to the pot might not be the one for you. Yours sounds fine. Live on the edge :D

Thanatos
Nov. 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'd say just make sure you have a crock pot in good repair and that the cord isn't nicked or loose.

One from a garage sale that has a frayed end where it connects to the pot might not be the one for you. Yours sounds fine. Live on the edge :D

Oooo, I am totally a live on the edge type girl! Why, just last week, I drove to the mailbox WITHOUT my seat belt on!!!!!

:) I really am such a wimp. Ok, after posting in the thread about having no time and making riding work with a f/t job, and now seeing this thread and realizing I may need to wild my life up a bit ;), I think I'm going to dig out the slow cooker!

pony grandma
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
I, too, make Eye-Talian beef in the CP. ;) Cut up chunks of rump roast, add bay leaves, italian spices, garlic, parlsey, beef broth and vinegar. The juice from the pepperoncinis too. I got spoiled, I worked at a high drawer restaurant back in college and they made their italian beef from the leftover prime rib!

Don't forget some country pork ribs and sauerkraut - add cut up apples and onions to soften the sauer. Make a baked potato in the micro, add some sour cream, have some rye bread and a cold beer. Wow what a way to come home after the barn work! The warmth and the smell in the winter time. D LUX :D

spacytracy
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'd be nervous using a circa 1970's one but mine is about a year old and so I'm not too nervous.

I also figure, worst case scenario, the house burns down. There's nothing living inside most days so....
Stupid theory but it helps me get through the day!

Rbow
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
chicken taco soup is awesome and I used Miller Lite.

2DogsFarm
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:48 PM
I use my oldest crockpot (#1 of 3) that I broke the lid to for making hot mash on the coldest Winter days.

I put in 1/2 their grain ration and water to fill then plug it in the barn & let it go all day.
I improvised a lid from foil & a supplement bucket lid.
Add cold water to bring to serving temp, molasses & serve.
You can also add raisins, cutup apples or carrots & of course: mints!

Prepare for slurping noises.

Auventera Two
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:40 PM
Vegetarian here so most of the crock pot recipes aren't useful for me, but I like to make "gourmet" baked potatoes sometimes after riding or trimming, and am short on time.

Large baking potatoes
Broccoli (steamed)
Parmesan cheese shredded (or your favorite cheese)
Sour cream
Chives (I buy the pre-cut dehydrated ones)
Fresh ground black pepper

Start to finish is only 15 minutes and they're so good :)

NeedsAdvil
Nov. 15, 2010, 08:41 PM
I love all the suggestions here! The 365 website is great! My faves to make in the crock pot are black bean soup, pot roast (or red wine beef stew with green beans), and veggie soup. I definitely need to try some of these other recipes. I have done ribs before, and they turned out great, but I have no idea what recipe I used.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:31 PM
I'm going to do this one this weekend. I can't wait! I will let you all know how it goes!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/10/most-simple-thai-beef-crockpot-recipe.html

I'm also paranoid about leaving it on all day so I'm treating it like it's puppy being weaned from his crate. First day I was just in the other room. Next time I will just leave the house for a short time, gradually working my way up until I'm gone for the entire day...Apparently I think my method will teach the crockpot not to burn down the house.... :rolleyes:

BetterOffRed
Nov. 15, 2010, 11:36 PM
BAKED POTATO SOUP
6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut inton 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion chopped- I use 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onion)
3 cans seasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic
1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 TB chopped fresh chives

stir potato cubes and next 5 ingredients in 5 Qt. slow cooker
cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours until potatoes are tender. Mash mixture until potatoes are mashed and soup is thickened. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream or H&H, 1 cup cheese and chipped fresh chives.

Serve with crumbled bacon, cheddar chease, sour cream

TURKEY OR CHICKEN FAJITAS
4 turkey tenderloins, about 2 lbs. or 2 lbs of chicken breasts
1 enveop of taco seasoning mix
1 celery rib, chopped (I usually keep frozen pre chopped celery in baggies
in the freezer)
1 onion, chipped (use frozen pre chopped)
1 can Rotel (diced tomatores with green chiles, undrained
1 cup shredded 2% reduced fat cheddar cheese

Soft tao size flour tortillas
toppings: lettuce, sour cream, olives, chopped tomato

Cut turkey into 2 1/2 inch strips, place in a ziploc freezer bag (1 gallon) freezer bag, add taco season, seal and shake to coat.
Place turkey, celery and onion in the slow cooker, stir in rotel
cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours. Stir in cheese. Serve on tortillas with sides.

BetterOffRed
Nov. 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
Ok, I am a paranoid, crazy person. Is there a danger of having the slow cooker on all day while you are away? I am always so scared to come home to a burned down house (I don't run the dryer when I'm away because of that) and thusly, have a beautiful slow cooker that I only use on weekends when I am already home all day which seems to defeat the advertised purpose. Any thoughts on the risk? Or am I being stupid as I have no qualms about going out and sitting on the back of 1200 pounds of flight animal, leaping over large, heavy obstacles at decently high rates of speed but I'm scared of the crock pot? (see? I made it horse-related).

I bet you could try using a timer. One of those plug in light timers from Home Depot or Lowe's.

DancingAppy
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:10 AM
I made Lamb Stew yesterday:

Lamb Stew Meat
Red Potatoes
Onion
Garlic
Bag of Frozen Veggies
Beef Broth
The spices you like

I did make a rue of butter and flour to thinken it up a little. 8 hours later, I had some wonderful stew! Plus, mostly veggies, a little meat and no "Cream of" soups.

jn4jenny
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:49 AM
Ok, I am a paranoid, crazy person. Is there a danger of having the slow cooker on all day while you are away? I am always so scared to come home to a burned down house (I don't run the dryer when I'm away because of that) and thusly, have a beautiful slow cooker that I only use on weekends when I am already home all day which seems to defeat the advertised purpose. Any thoughts on the risk?

A crock pot uses roughly the same energy as an incandescent light bulb. Not even close in energy use, or risk, to leaving your dryer on while you're gone. If you've ever left a light on when you're out of the house, you've taken a comparable risk--meaning very little risk at all.

In terms of safety, I place my crock pot on my stovetop when I use it (since that's probably the most fire-retardant surface in my kitchen), I make sure the surface beneath it is dry and clear in all directions, and I make sure the recipe is sufficiently watery to keep the food from burning.

camohn
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:03 AM
here is one I tried last night/is very good:
Pork and beans
1 tsp sage and rosemary (neither is my fave spice when dry so I only used 1/2 tsp)
3 cloves of crushed fresh garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 to 2.5 lb pork roast
4 Tb olive oil
1 diced onion (I used 1/2 since mine was a strong onion!)
1 cup white wine
2 cans of white beans (I had 1 can of white beans/1 can of pinto beans on the shelf so that is what went in)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/4 c fresh or 2 TB dry parsley

Cook 6 hours on low (mine is in longer since I am gone all day!)

DownYonder
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:06 AM
A slightly different twist for freezing cold winter mornings -

Do up a big batch of Pioneer Porridge from Nora Mill, add butter and brown sugar and cinnamon and keep it on Low or Warm in the tack room. Really yummy and warms you up from the inside out. http://www.noramill.com

asb_own_me
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:02 AM
I'm big on winging it for a lot of my recipes. I had a ton of baby carrots and red potatoes to use up when I looked through the fridge yesterday morning.....so I threw them in the crock pot. Probably about 3-4 cups of carrots and taters each (taters halved or quartered), one large onion, diced, about 2 cups of vegetable stock, some pepper, some chili powder, and a can of RoTel (diced chilis and tomatoes if you're not familiar with that).

Then I took a pork tenderloin roast (I think it was about 3 lbs), cut it into quarters, quick seared it in a pan with olive oil and garlic, and dropped it in the crock pot.

Then I went back to my office for the day, having taken an entire 10 minutes from my workday to prepare the feast.

Husband came home and dug in and pronounced it "Incredible". I, of course, was eager to share with him that I had "slaved over a hot stove all day" and it was such "hard work"

:D

katarine
Nov. 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
The thing about Bear Creek Soups is the sodium. One CUP of the prepared soups is about 40% of your daily sodium recommended. ONE cup. Who has ONE cup of soup for dinner?

We do them camping/pack trips but dang at the salt in that stuff. And the MSG variants....there's more salt than carrots in their Navy Bean soup.

katarine
Nov. 16, 2010, 11:01 AM

I'm totally going to try this out!

pony grandma
Nov. 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
DancingAppy mentioned the lamb stew. I just made a delicious lamb chili for a chili cook-off last Sat. First time idea and I can't believe that I've never made this before!

browned ground lamb w/ ground cumin mixed in, rinse pan and use deglaze liquid!
canned diced tomatoes
onion
garlic, cumin seed, cilantro
any kind of chopped up pepppers to taste
1 cup of dry red wine, water as needed
add cans of black beans (drained) at the end so they are not too soft.

This was so yummy - need more red wine when eating!! :winkgrin:

Thanatos
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:02 PM
A crock pot uses roughly the same energy as an incandescent light bulb. Not even close in energy use, or risk, to leaving your dryer on while you're gone. If you've ever left a light on when you're out of the house, you've taken a comparable risk--meaning very little risk at all.

In terms of safety, I place my crock pot on my stovetop when I use it (since that's probably the most fire-retardant surface in my kitchen), I make sure the surface beneath it is dry and clear in all directions, and I make sure the recipe is sufficiently watery to keep the food from burning.

Thanks! That's a good analogy and helpful tips, too. I think I really need to just suck it up and try it out. :)

I'm also paranoid about leaving it on all day so I'm treating it like it's puppy being weaned from his crate. First day I was just in the other room. Next time I will just leave the house for a short time, gradually working my way up until I'm gone for the entire day...Apparently I think my method will teach the crockpot not to burn down the house.... :rolleyes:

I snort laughed when I read that. Maybe we could clicker train our crock pots? Or is their natural crockpotership we can use to teach the crock pot to behave itself and not be naughty?

BeastieSlave
Nov. 16, 2010, 01:05 PM
I'm expanding my horizons right now! I've got chicken and dumplings going - it should be ready when I get home from the farm :D
Thanks all!!! Great thread....

pony grandma
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
I just thought of another winter time favorite, and a good healthy/vegetarian choice

chopped up fresh kale (rinse and put in the freezer day before using, then chop, makes it cook quicker)
can of cannelli beans, can of black beans
garlic, onion, celery, carrots
can of veg broth
splash of red wine vinegar, choice of herbs

this would go good with broiled cheese toast (slice of tomato on top) or just a grilled cheese.

sisu27
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm expanding my horizons right now! I've got chicken and dumplings going - it should be ready when I get home from the farm :D
Thanks all!!! Great thread....

I have it going too! I added some veggies (mushrooms, potato, peas) to make it sort of like a pot pie. Can't wait to get home tonight and try it!

Frank B
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:35 PM
...this would go good with broiled cheese toast (slice of tomato on top)...
One of my favorites. I use Provolone and sprinkle the tomato generously with dill or basil.

pony grandma
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
One of my favorites. I use Provolone and sprinkle the tomato generously with dill or basil.

:yes: and jarlsberg, a dab of mayo, toasted with red onion slices!!

Easy, quick, healthy - cheap good eats so we can afford the HR part. :D

eponacowgirl
Nov. 16, 2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html

BeastieSlave
Nov. 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have it going too! I added some veggies (mushrooms, potato, peas) to make it sort of like a pot pie. Can't wait to get home tonight and try it!

I came home from the farm, jumped in the shower, then sat down to dinner :D

My DD and DH both enjoyed the new crock-pot chicken & dumplings. DH was thrilled to have it and DD was suspicious (as she always is of 'mushy' food), but quickly won over. I think I'll tweak the recipe a bit for next time. Cutting it down for three is not an exact science.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 16, 2010, 08:39 PM
I snort laughed when I read that. Maybe we could clicker train our crock pots? Or is their natural crockpotership we can use to teach the crock pot to behave itself and not be naughty?

Perhaps we should try shaking the carrots at it before adding it to the pot??? ;)

sisu27
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
I came home from the farm, jumped in the shower, then sat down to dinner :D

My DD and DH both enjoyed the new crock-pot chicken & dumplings. DH was thrilled to have it and DD was suspicious (as she always is of 'mushy' food), but quickly won over. I think I'll tweak the recipe a bit for next time. Cutting it down for three is not an exact science.

It was a cold, rainy and miserable night last night and nothing could have been better than getting home from the farm to this amazing dish!! I added lots of Italian seasoning and actually used Turkey cutlets instead of chicken. It was fantastic!!

Thank you all for this thread!!

Mozart
Nov. 17, 2010, 11:32 AM
I have a really good vegetarian chili recipe that I promise I will add when I get a chance!

I used to rock the crock pot but offspring has "little old man" eating habits...clearly definable meat, starch and veg. Nothing mixed together, no sauce. Minimal flavour thankyouverymuch.

Sigh. Of course the foodie mother would have the child with incredibly boring eating habits.

Miss J
Nov. 17, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have a moose roast in the crock pot right now, I just threw in a package of onion soup mix and 2 cups of water, after its done i'm going to shave the meat and make beef(moose) dips! I reserve the liquid for the au jus and freeze the rest down for french onion soup! yummy!

who ever submitted the chicken dumplings, that looks super tasty!!:)

2DogsFarm
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:29 PM
I just remembered this one.

I've been using pork neckbones, but saw lamb neckbones in the grocery last night & they were cheap!

I have this the first night over egg noodles or boiled potatoes, then use the de-boned leftovers for spaghetti gravy (aka sauce)

Mise en place:
-pork neckbones - about 3#
-1 large onion chopped coarsely
-2 cloves garlic crushed
-1 cup water
-2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
-Thyme

Everything goes into the crockpot - I do not bother to brown the meat first, but you can.
Cook on Low for 6-8 hours

I think I'll try rosemary with the lamb.
And serve over orzo : 9

betsyk
Nov. 17, 2010, 01:58 PM
Ok, you've got me thinking about asking for a crockpot for Christmas. Non-horsey Mom would love it if I asked for something she didn't have to order from Smartpack for her grandchildren!

Questions: what happens when you cook brown rice in the crockpot for 4 hours or so? mush? fresh veggies of the "hard" variety - carrots, potatoes, winter squash - work best? frozen would turn to mush, right? if you're cooking something like veggies and beans and rice, without meat, and everything is pretty much at room temp when you start, would it overcook in 4 hours? leave the veggies in big chunks?

Can you tell I'm a steamed mixed-frozen vegetables and rice person? But it would be nice to have options for the end of the week when the stuff I cooked on Sunday is gone. Especially since Wed - Friday are almost always barn days.

Nobody's ever had trouble with cats getting up on the counter and investigating the contents of the crockpot?

betsyk
Nov. 17, 2010, 02:05 PM
This is what I'm eating for lunch right now that I would want to try to cook in the crockpot:

2 cups brown rice, uncooked
2 cups lentils, uncooked
2 large cans stewed or flavored tomatoes
carrots
box frozen chopped spinach (or two if you want more iron)
2 bullion cubes
curry powder, to taste
water

On the stove, I would bring it to a boil in a big soup kettle and cook with the cover on for 40 minutes, stirring to make sure it doesn't dry out too much and adding water as needed. If I heaved it all in the crockpot at 4:30, and went to the barn, would it be edible at 8:30 or totally mush?

Scan&Shelby
Nov. 17, 2010, 04:12 PM
I have found that veges don't turn to mush, whether frozen or not, though I do tend to put my frozen veges like corn and spinach in for the last half hour or so. Fresh potatoes do take a while to cook, so I put them in all day. Carrots are fine, I've used the frozen stew vege packs and everything was yummy.
I added rice in to a dish recently and it came out soggy because I added a lot of extra water. For some reason, the crockpot adds liquid, or you don't need as much liquid as you think.
I would think that the rice will cook faster than the lentils, especially if they are dry. I would soak them overnight if you want them to cook in the 4hours, and definitely put the pot on high. I have used dried kidney beans in chili without soaking but did leave them cooking for close to 10 hours on low and it was fine.

As to the cat question.... I have 2 counter investigators and haven't had a problem with them bothering it. The crock pot does get hot, which may be a deterrent to them.

katarine
Nov. 17, 2010, 05:15 PM
you'd want to throw in spinach, snap peas, bok choy, etc etc ...when you got home at the end of the day....give 'em maybe 30 minutes...but carrots, taters, etc...they can cook on low alllll day and be fine.

the CP gets hot. The cats leave it alone.

JSwan
Nov. 17, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm an avid hunter, and am out in the cold and wet all winter. The LAST thing I want to do when I drag myself through the door is cook. If I didn't own a crockpot, I'd starve to death.

My contribution is the Famous Senate Navy Bean Soup. Google it and you'll find there is a story behind this soup.

I make this in the crockpot in the morning, turn it on low, and when I get home that evening it's done.

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
2 pounds dried navy beans
four quarts hot water
1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse beans.

Place beans into pot with water.

Add ham hocks and simmer in a covered pot.

Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool.

Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 8.

I use more onion than the recipe calls for, and I finagle the ham hocks - I'll use one or just cut up some ham if I don't have a hock.

What's great about this soup is that it is super cheap to make and will feed you for several days. A 1lb package of dried navy beans is about 89 cents!

BeastieSlave
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:03 PM
Bean soups are my favorite! JSwan, I'll have to give yours a try.

For one of our favorites I like to cheat and use a bag of dried 16 bean soup.
Soak beans overnight.
Saute some celery, onion, and garlic in oil, then put it in crock pot and follow the soup directions (basically, that's add water, seasoning packet, and beans). I don't normally add any meat since DD #1 is a vegetarian.
Instead of cooking stove top (directions), I crank the crock pot up at lunch and plan to eat when I finish up at the farm. I've found that if I cook on 'high' I'll probably have mushy beans....

darkmoonlady
Nov. 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
One of my favorites for the kids is Crockpot BBQ Chicken. Goes GREAT with fresh veggies on the side too.

BBQ Chicken:
4-5 Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (whatever fits easily in the bottom of the crockpot really)
1 bottle of Jack Danielsl BBQ sauce (you can use other kinds, but this stuff is AMAZING)

Put the frozen (or fresh really, I just always have frozen handy) chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Cover completely with the bottle of BBQ sauce. Thats IT. Cook on low for 8hrs then shred with fork. Great over just about ANYTHING, or even just alone with veggies (fresh, for speed lol). You can cook it on high for about 3-4 hrs too, works just as well.

Thank you SO much! I had no idea what to make for dinner this afternoon and made this after reading your post. With cornbread and salad it was fantastic, thanks! ps. I added a sliced onion and some garlic as well.

Mozart
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:01 AM
Love this one (and I am not a vegetarian)

Sweet Chili

In slow cooker combine:

1 19 oz can chickpeas (drained)
1 19 oz can red kidney beans or black beans (drained)
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with herbs and spices
1 10 oz can corn kernels (drained)
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 red onion, finely chopped

In a bowl combine:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey (can reduce a bit if you find it too sweet)
3 TBSLP chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder

Mix well and add to slow cooker. Stir everything together.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 - 10 hours or HIGH for 4 - 6 hours.
Add 1 diced green pepper, 1 diced red pepper and 1 diced yellow pepper and cook on HIGH for additional 20 minues.

Serve with dollop of sour cream and grated Cheddar.

Mmmm...

BeastieSlave
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:09 AM
So, I'll be adding Sweet Chili and BBQ Chicken to my list :D

johnnysauntie
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:14 AM
I love the Senate Navy Bean Soup that JSwan posted - it doesn't sound like much from the recipe but the sum of all the parts is really good! I didn't know if I could make it in my crockpot though - thanks JS for experimenting!

Shine
Nov. 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
Bean soups are my favorite! JSwan, I'll have to give yours a try.

For one of our favorites I like to cheat and use a bag of dried 16 bean soup.
Soak beans overnight.
Saute some celery, onion, and garlic in oil, then put it in crock pot and follow the soup directions (basically, that's add water, seasoning packet, and beans). I don't normally add any meat since DD #1 is a vegetarian.
Instead of cooking stove top (directions), I crank the crock pot up at lunch and plan to eat when I finish up at the farm. I've found that if I cook on 'high' I'll probably have mushy beans....

Love. love, love this soup. We have it every time I bake a ham. Which, actually is tonight! So soup for tomorrow.

I like to add a cup of maple syrup, a tablespoon of liquid smoke and have been known to throw in some diced potatoes and carrots.

I put about 2/3rds of the beans in the pot then add the remaining beans about an hour and half later for texture.

bludejavu
Nov. 18, 2010, 01:13 PM
I've been compiling recipes off this thread since it started - THANKS to all!! Now I'm going to add one that I made yesterday for the first time - all I can say is WOW - my picky husband even loved it and he is extremely picky.

Apple Cider Beef Stew

-1.5 - 2# lean beef stew meat
-6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
-2 sweet variety apples, chopped
-2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. Thyme
-1/2 cup chopped onions
-2 cups apple cider or juice (cider is better)

Place potatoes and apples in crockpot. Add meat & sprinkle with salt, Thyme & chopped onion. Pour cider mix over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Thicken juices with 1.5 to 2 tbsp. flour and 2 tbsp. water, cooking on high until thickened. Makes 5 to 6 svgs.

I came in from the barn last night, hands cold, feet cold - this recipe just hit the spot.

Flying Hill
Nov. 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
This is a great thread. Can anyone recommend a good crock pot for those of us who are uninitiated?

Tap2Tango
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:09 PM
This is a great thread. Can anyone recommend a good crock pot for those of us who are uninitiated?

I just got a new one yesterday from Kohls! It's a Rival, either 5 or 5.5 quarts, black, has 2 time settings for high and 2 time settings for low and automatically switches to warm once the time is up.

asb_own_me
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:19 PM
I have a KitchenAid that I love.

ginger708
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
I just wnat to thank who ever menthioned the Fasta Pasta Tried it to day and it worked great. :D

Fractious Fox
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
To whomever posted the BBQ Chicken and Sweet Potato dish - we had it tonight and it was a HIT!!! I loved that it didn't involve a condensed soup, and it was so colorful as well with the red onions and potato. We only had chicken tenderloins which we used, but I think breasts would be better as they'd stay juicy for the duration of time it takes to soften the sweet potatoes. I also added a splash or two of chicken stock, and I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce. YUMMY!

jn4jenny
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:38 PM
I just wnat to thank who ever menthioned the Fasta Pasta Tried it to day and it worked great. :D

That was me. :) Glad you like it! I love mine!

Regarding which slow cooker to buy, I like to buy the cheap ones. My crock pot gets used at least 2-3x weekly, and I would rather have simple $15-$20 workhorses that I can afford to destroy than $100+ masterpieces that will make me weep if I break the stoneware.

If money were no object, I'd get one that had a locking lid and a stovetop-safe pot so that I could brown meat on the stove without dirtying two pots. But that costs some serious coin.

Looking forward to White Chili II from my crock pot tonight:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/white-chili-ii-2/Detail.aspx

wsmoak
Nov. 18, 2010, 07:56 PM
My favorite is this multi-bean soup:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-easy-multi-bean-soup/1e741c16-e891-4a6e-8208-9d2ddf8e93bb

It's best with the ten-bean soup mix from Sprouts rather than the bagged bean mixes at the grocery store. The Sprouts mix has smaller (younger?) beans and more lentils and barley, I think. It comes out thicker.

Adjust the salt/pepper after you make it the first time, I think it needs lots more pepper.

This freezes really well, too. I freeze 12 oz 'bricks' of it to reheat later.

I often add diced grilled chicken to it when reheating, or some leftover steak/roast works well too.

BeastieSlave
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:02 AM

The old Kenmore crock pot that DH & I got when we married 22 years ago died last year when the dog pushed (pulled?) it off the counter. I went to Target and got a "Crock Pot" brand c.p. It's the medium sized one and it wasn't very expensive. It has a pretty stainless exterior and a glass top. Lots of those out there these days. I like it a lot, but I think it runs a bit hotter than the old one...

jn4jenny
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:45 AM
I like it a lot, but I think it runs a bit hotter than the old one...

I've noticed that my newer crock pots run hotter than the ones I remember from childhood, and I hypothesize that it's because food safety regulations have changed over the years. If the food doesn't reach a temp of 160 degrees in 3 hours on the low setting, you could have bacterial problems. Nobody cared about that 20 years ago.

LovelyBay
Nov. 19, 2010, 08:52 AM
I just put BBQ chicken in my crockpot for tonight! I love coming home to a house that smells yummy!

Shine
Nov. 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
Has anyone tried this type of crock pot? http://www.shopping.com/Hamilton-Beach-Hamilton-Beach-33134-3-in-1-Slow-Cooker-with-2-4-and-6-Quart-Crocks/info

spacytracy
Nov. 19, 2010, 09:51 AM
I have this one that I'm very satisfied with
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Forget-6-Quart-Programmable/dp/B001AO2PXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290178282&sr=8-1

Jingo-ace
Nov. 19, 2010, 10:27 AM
Love, love, love this thread! Great crockpot recipe ideas.

At my house, we call it "stone soup" - i.e. anything leftover in the frig is fair game to be added to the crockpot! lol My last stone soup was delish... it consisted of a can of chicken noodle soup, chicken broth, left-over meatloaf, celery, fresh sweet potato slices, & a couple diced red potatos. And Parsley & diced onions. It smelled so good when we come home, and this tasted heavenly!
:) J

CrazyGuineaPigLady
Nov. 19, 2010, 10:38 AM
Regarding which slow cooker to buy, I like to buy the cheap ones. My crock pot gets used at least 2-3x weekly, and I would rather have simple $15-$20 workhorses that I can afford to destroy than $100+ masterpieces that will make me weep if I break the stoneware.

If money were no object, I'd get one that had a locking lid and a stovetop-safe pot so that I could brown meat on the stove without dirtying two pots. But that costs some serious coin.

Having cracked two pots, I agree. I have 3 different sized crock pots that I paid less than $20 for and my only criteria is the warm setting. They get used for different things and sometimes all at once so it’s better not to put all my eggs in one basket. :lol:

You can brown meat in a crockpot! Less than an hour on high for thawed and two for frozen. Just stir it every 20 minutes and it’s the same as using the stove but you have time to do other things in between. This revolutionized how we make tacos and spaghetti sauce.

BTW, a great compliment to a crock pot is a rice maker. You can saute onions, brown meat, cook potatoes wedges and even boil pasta while using the steamer for veggies. Heck, I make scrambled eggs in the rice maker when my husband’s large family is visiting. It runs on super hot and then shuts down to warm when the “moisture” is gone so food won’t burn if you get distracted. People usually laugh at my unconventional cooking methods but they always go back for seconds. :D

ChocoMare
Nov. 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
ADORE my crock-pots.... yes plural. I have 3! REALLY adore the new Hamilton Beech ones that allows you lock down the lid for transport anywhere. They truly seal tight and DO NOT leak.

Here are my recipe offerings:

CROCK POT BBQ
1 5-7 pound Boston Butt Pork Roast
1 Large Bottle of Kraft Original BBQ Sauce (not the sweet version)

Trim as much excess fat off the roast as you can. Put it in the crock pot. Pour the whole bottle of sauce over top. Put the lid on and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. When done, the blade bone should pull right out of the meat. Using tongs, take the meat out and set it aside, covered. Strain the sauce through a colander. Shred the meat and serve with the sauce!

Note: I love to serve this with fresh corn bread and Boston Baked Beans.

WORLD'S BEST CROCK-POT ROAST CHICKEN

5-7 pound Roaster Hen
4 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary – leave whole
2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme – leave whole
1 Large Yellow Onion – Cut into 1/8ths
1 Large Box of Chicken Broth or Stock
3 Carrots – peeled & cut into 3” lengths
3 Stalks Celery – cut into 3” lengths
Kosher Salt & Cracked Black Pepper

Clean the chicken well, inside and out (remove guts). Put 2 springs of Rosemary and 1 spring of Thyme inside the chest cavity, along with some salt and pepper, a bit of the onion, carrot and celery. Put the chicken in the crock pot. Salt and pepper the outside.

Arrange the rest of the veggies around the chicken, along with the rest of rosemary and thyme. Pour the chicken stock/broth over the veggies.

Put the lid on and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. When done, using tongs, take the meat out and set it aside, covered. Strain the broth through a fine sieve.

I'll use the broth to cook rice in instead of water. While it cooks, make gravy out of the rest of the broth.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BetterOffRed
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:22 AM
I have the stainless steel RIVAL crockpot. It was cheaper than the cuisinart.

Night before last, I made the crockpot version of smothered porkchops- Lipton Onion Soup Mix, Campbells Mushroom Soup and a little water (1-4 cup?) 4 large pork chops. Did them overnight and then refrigerated them before I went to work. Then right before I left for the barn that evening, I set up the rice cooker. Instant Comfort food when I got home!

BetterOffRed
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:22 AM
WORLD'S BEST CROCK-POT ROAST CHICKEN

5-7 pound Roaster Hen
4 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary – leave whole
2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme – leave whole
1 Large Yellow Onion – Cut into 1/8ths
1 Large Box of Chicken Broth or Stock
3 Carrots – peeled & cut into 3” lengths
3 Stalks Celery – cut into 3” lengths
Kosher Salt & Cracked Black Pepper

I think this will be on next weeks menu!

CrazyGuineaPigLady
Nov. 19, 2010, 11:23 AM
Oh, I forgot an interesting recipe. Sounds kind of gross but it’s delicious as a dip or in a wrap. I eat the leftovers straight out of the fridge.

1 can of black beans
1 can of Rotel (I use the one with lime and cilantro)
1 can of corn
1 medium chopped onion or the equivalent of dehydrated, minced
1 pound of boneless chicken, cut into smaller pieces if you want it to cook faster.
Cumin and taco seasoning to taste. It’s been a while since I made this but I believe I used a tablespoon of cumin and two of the taco seasoning. I’m not a big spicy eater, though.
1 block of cream cheese

Drain only the corn and dump all the cans in the crock pot. Stir in the seasoning and onions and add the chicken. 30 minutes before serving, stir again to break up the chicken and throw the cream cheese on top. Once that has melted, mix it all together and eat.

equest
Nov. 19, 2010, 02:04 PM
I got a great cookbook called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker" Recipes.

There are some very sophisticated recipes as well as easy but good ones (like simply braising chicken covered in salsa and later topping with goat cheese, which was tasty!) The book has a variety of chili recipes which really spices up the old standard.

Mozart
Nov. 19, 2010, 02:13 PM
I just got a new one yesterday from Kohls! It's a Rival, either 5 or 5.5 quarts, black, has 2 time settings for high and 2 time settings for low and automatically switches to warm once the time is up.

I have this one too, got it at Costco about a year ago. I like the automatic switch over to warm feature; my last crock pot did not have this feature.

Sometimes you can find ones where they throw in a mini crock pot to boot, they are a handy thing to have for warm appetizer dips (e.g. the ubiquitous, calorie laden but oh so tasty artichoke asiago hot dip).

Tap2Tango
Nov. 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm making the Thai Beef tonight. Can't wait to try it!!

NeedsAdvil
Nov. 19, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have chicken tortilla soup in mine right now. I ran home at lunch to throw hay to the horses and donkey, and decided to get dinner started at the same time. I can't wait to eat it! :yes:

cordial
Nov. 20, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think this will be on next weeks menu!

This recipe sounds really good! Thanks for posting it.

Bedazzle
Nov. 20, 2010, 05:14 PM
I made the chicken and dumplings today. Fantastic! The only thing I changed was that I added the biscuits to the cooker about an hour in, so they cooked for about 3 hours before eating. Also, I added chopped carrots and celery. :yes:

TwoDreamRides
Nov. 21, 2010, 12:10 AM
I am ridiculously jealous right now! Since asking this question, I had planned on going through these recipes & making one each Tuesday. However, found out this week that work is sending me 700 miles away to Philadelphia coming home on Christmas Eve. Looks like no riding nights for me and hotel food/restaurants and no crockpot until the New Year!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas - I cannot wait to try them once I get home again!

bludejavu
Nov. 21, 2010, 09:04 AM
TwoDreamRides - funny how life works out sometimes isn't it.:yes:

Enjoy your trip - all these recipes will still be here when you get back and maybe more will be added.

carboncopy
Nov. 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
You guys are great, I never post (2 today, a record!) but thank you for this, I got out my crock pot and am resolved to eating better.

Fractious Fox
Nov. 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
I tried the Senate Restaurant Navy Bean Soup and it was FAB! I added some fresh sage from the garden and served it with fresh sourdough toast with butter. YUMMY! It was a hit with the husband and our guest. I bought good quality smoked ham hocks and am convinced that this is critical. I'm not a fan of ham typically, and really was not looking forward to this ingredient, but the ones from my local store (a Publix) looked much better than those in other stores.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 21, 2010, 09:56 PM
Made this one on Friday and OMG it's awesome! Leftovers were just as good!! It was so easy and only consists of 4 ingredients!!!!
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/10/most-simple-thai-beef-crockpot-recipe.html

Jaegermonster
Nov. 21, 2010, 10:50 PM
Ok, you've got me thinking about asking for a crockpot for Christmas. Non-horsey Mom would love it if I asked for something she didn't have to order from Smartpack for her grandchildren!

Questions: what happens when you cook brown rice in the crockpot for 4 hours or so? mush? fresh veggies of the "hard" variety - carrots, potatoes, winter squash - work best? frozen would turn to mush, right? if you're cooking something like veggies and beans and rice, without meat, and everything is pretty much at room temp when you start, would it overcook in 4 hours? leave the veggies in big chunks?

Can you tell I'm a steamed mixed-frozen vegetables and rice person? But it would be nice to have options for the end of the week when the stuff I cooked on Sunday is gone. Especially since Wed - Friday are almost always barn days.

Nobody's ever had trouble with cats getting up on the counter and investigating the contents of the crockpot?

I've not had much luck with pasta or rice in the crock pot, it gets nasty. I usually cook that before serving if it's pasta, or for rice I'll make a whole bunch then freeze in either gladware or ziploc bags.
I have also used the bags of frozen mixed veggies in mine, the one with the cauliflower, broccoli and carrots though not the green beans etc. The harder veggies seem nto do better in the crock pot. I've left mine on low for as long as 10 hours and everything was fine. The veggies need to be in chunks, large bite size is fine, they end up soft enough to easily cut.

asb_own_me
Nov. 22, 2010, 05:00 PM
This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-7-2dqt-2e-Cooker-Gloss-Cinnamon/dp/B000GTV3ME

I've had it for several years now. The ceramic crock cracked last year and I got a new one from KitchenAid for - I think - $30.

camohn
Nov. 27, 2010, 03:58 PM
I made this soup from Thanksgiving leftovers tossed in from the 'fridge. Funny thing is I left it in the CrockPot when I left for work. I had to work on Friday and hubby was home. I came home and peered in the pot at the "dinner soup". There was a lot less in there than I expected to see. Boy that stuff *really* boiled down. As I was peering mystified into the pot hubby came in and said "boy that soup was good. I had 2 bowls of it for lunch." A-ha! Though that means I ended up still having to cook dinner since he already had 2 bowls of it for lunch.....

1 can cream of chicken or mushroom condensed soup (I used 'shroom /what I had on hand)
fill the can back up with poultry broth (can use chicken, I used leftover turkey broth I made from boiling the carcass)...so about 12 oz.
1/2 diced onion
1 diced potato
6 ribs of diced celery
chopped up leftover turkey (I put in a couple cups of mixed dark and white meat)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh)

Rbow
Nov. 27, 2010, 04:04 PM
The potato soup is exceptional. Everyone left with the recipe.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 28, 2010, 05:53 PM
I have this in the crock pot right now. It smells good already so I can't wait to try it when it's done!! I didn't use nearly as much butter as it called for, also used less brown sugar, added apple sauce and chocolate protein powder as well.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-baked-oatmeal-recipe.html

jn4jenny
Nov. 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
BAKED POTATO SOUP
6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut inton 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion chopped- I use 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onion)
3 cans seasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic
1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 TB chopped fresh chives

stir potato cubes and next 5 ingredients in 5 Qt. slow cooker
cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours until potatoes are tender. Mash mixture until potatoes are mashed and soup is thickened. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream or H&H, 1 cup cheese and chipped fresh chives.

This was gooooooooood! :yes: I am determined to use up all my Thanksgiving leftovers before they go bad, and this recipe knocked out a lot of the potatoes and turkey stock (made from the Thanksgiving bird leftovers, of course!). I used an immersion blender to mash it and it did not become starchy and gooey as I feared. It was smooth as silk. It tasted DELICIOUS even before adding the whipping cream and cheese, honestly you could eat it just like that. But I added the cream and cheese anyway (again, trying to use up leftovers) and substituted scallions for chives. Yum!

Tomorrow I plan to use up my ham bone from the spiral ham in the Senate bean soup that JSwan posted, and we'll have that with leftover biscuits!

bludejavu
Nov. 28, 2010, 07:23 PM
Adding the one we had for dinner tonight to the list - this was one of the best crock pot recipes I've ever had. I am going to try the Baked Potato Soup this week because it sounds yummy.

SAUSAGE HOT POT

- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup Baby Carrots
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, sliced
- 1 Pack of Sausage such as Hillshire Farm, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup water

Put all ingredients in crock pot, mixing well. Cook 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high. (I cooked this on high and it was done in 4 hours). The potatoes almost melt into the soup mix when it has cooked long enough.

asb_own_me
Nov. 29, 2010, 03:36 PM
I did the beef and pickles recipe that was a few pages back, except what I had was a jar of the bread & butter slices, rather than a jar of dill pickles. But it still tasted great!

I've got Thanksgiving leftover ham in the crock now with red potatoes, apple cider and brown sugar.

Rbow
Nov. 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
Adding the one we had for dinner tonight to the list - this was one of the best crock pot recipes I've ever had. I am going to try the Baked Potato Soup this week because it sounds yummy.

SAUSAGE HOT POT

- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup Baby Carrots
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, sliced
- 1 Pack of Sausage such as Hillshire Farm, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup water

Put all ingredients in crock pot, mixing well. Cook 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high. (I cooked this on high and it was done in 4 hours). The potatoes almost melt into the soup mix when it has cooked long enough.

I can't find Cream of Onion Soup at the grocery store. Is this something special?

jn4jenny
Nov. 29, 2010, 04:40 PM
I can't find Cream of Onion Soup at the grocery store. Is this something special?

I haven't made that recipe, but IME you can substitute any other "cream of" for the one you're targeting, then add a relevant ingredient to give it flavor. For cream of onion, I would add onion powder, dried onion flakes, or finely diced onion.

Or if you prefer, Hillbilly Housewife has a great "Cream of Anything" recipe that is a cheap and easy substitute for canned "Cream of" Soups. After all, "Cream of" soups are not cheap for what they are. They're basically flour, water, a little boullion, etc. and they charge you 70+ cents for stuff that costs next to nothing.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/cream-of-anything-soup-mix.htm

bludejavu
Nov. 29, 2010, 06:49 PM

I found it at Kroger made by Campbells so it probably just depends on whether a particular grocery store stocks it or not. jn4jenny is right about cream of anything sufficing - try a different variety. I do have to say though that the cream of onion really added flavor so maybe add a tablespoon or two of dehydrated onion flakes to your mixture. In fact, I would probably do 2 cream of Mushroom cans and add the onion flakes on top of that. The consistency of the stew sauce was excellent with only 1/4 cup of water and I was skeptical of that before making it.

Rbow
Nov. 29, 2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks! I'll substitute and add onions. It looks great.

*Lovelife*
Nov. 29, 2010, 10:24 PM
Okay I'm officially hungry now!!I think I need to go get a crockpot!!

Summit Springs Farm
Nov. 30, 2010, 01:11 PM
You guys are great off to get a new crock pot and give the chicken and dumping a try!

SBrentnall
Dec. 1, 2010, 02:44 AM
I just made this one tonight, and it was fabulous!

Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup with Curry and Coconut Milk (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11/crockpot-or-stovetop-recipe-for-red.html)

KitKat987
Dec. 1, 2010, 09:37 AM
I'd like to thank whoever put that chicken and dumpling recipe up! It reminded me of a chicken pot pie, without all the work :) I added a ton of carrots and broth instead of water, and put in the biscuits about an hour before and it turned out very tasty.

Belair
Dec. 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
I just made this one tonight, and it was fabulous!

Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup with Curry and Coconut Milk (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11/crockpot-or-stovetop-recipe-for-red.html)

This looks delicious. Think I'll have to make it next week.

knightrider
Dec. 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
So....I have a whole bunch of Chicken drumsticks...any suggestions on a crockpot recipe I can use before I go to the barn tomorrow? Was thinking of just dumping a bunch of bbq sauce in, but is that going to be a mess with the bones?

I bought one of the family packs on sale and wanted to try something with the remaining drumsticks...I'm only going to use a few tonight when I cook...thanks!

CatOnLap
Dec. 1, 2010, 03:55 PM
I make my crockpot recipes in the morning and let them cook all day on low. The veggies stay firm at the low temperature and the meat gets super tender.

Plain Old Cupboard Beef Stew
This is the stew I made yesterday from whatever I had around, and it turned out fabulous!:

2 lbs of beef, cubed. Toss in a sealed freezer bag with 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground pepper, until the flour is all sticking to the meat. Brown lightly in a large frypan with 2 tblsp oil for 5-10 minutes, then place it all in the bottom of the crock pot.

2 packages Lipton Onion Soup mix ,mixed in 2 cups boiling water. Pour over beef. Layer on:

4 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 turnip or swede, peeled and cubed ( don't let the turnip scare you- it really adds the best flavour!)
4 carrots peeled and cubed
1 can of sliced mushrooms, with the liquid.
a handful of chopped parsley or parsley flakes.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours ( its ready at 6, but even better at 8, and will still be great after 10 hours in the pot, if you're late)

mkevent
Dec. 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
This is another great recipe. I serve it over angel hair pasta and only use 1/2 cup of peanut butter. It tastes much like Pad Thai except it doesn't have eggs or shrimp.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cook-Thai-Chicken/Detail.aspx

camohn
Dec. 2, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'd like to thank whoever put that chicken and dumpling recipe up! It reminded me of a chicken pot pie, without all the work :) I added a ton of carrots and broth instead of water, and put in the biscuits about an hour before and it turned out very tasty.

I did that too. First time I made it as written. Second time I did as above to make a soup out of it and it was good too!

Canaqua
Dec. 2, 2010, 09:04 AM
I highly recommend "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Beth Hensberger. I like the convenience of the crockpot, but I'm not fond of the fact that so many recipes for them are based on canned soup and/or vegetables...yuck! Too much salt, plus I'm lactose intolerant and the cream soups are indigestible.

I've made a number of recipes from this book, they are made with fresh ingredients and every one I've tried has been very good. I just made the "Mom's Beef Stew" early Sunday morning because I'd be at a clinic all day. When I came home at 6pm...excellent beef stew was ready and everyone enjoyed it.

asb_own_me
Dec. 2, 2010, 10:02 AM
I have the "Fix It and Forget It" book, which is great. Lots of variations on different recipes, which in turn encourages you to try your own variations :)

camohn
Dec. 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
I highly recommend "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Beth Hensberger. I like the convenience of the crockpot, but I'm not fond of the fact that so many recipes for them are based on canned soup and/or vegetables...yuck! Too much salt, plus I'm lactose intolerant and the cream soups are indigestible.

I've made a number of recipes from this book, they are made with fresh ingredients and every one I've tried has been very good. I just made the "Mom's Beef Stew" early Sunday morning because I'd be at a clinic all day. When I came home at 6pm...excellent beef stew was ready and everyone enjoyed it.

this is todays CrockPot meal o the day...it does have coconut milk in it but is not a dairy product for the lactose intolerant/no cream of....soups.

I also tossed in a can of tiny shrimp and can of clams for seafood chowder instead of "just fish" and used less than the 4 called for peppers...didn't have 4 and it seemed like too much anyway.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brazilian-Fish-Stew/Detail.aspx

oh...it got a shot of sherry too. A lot of my soups get that!! (grin!)

Blugal
Dec. 2, 2010, 05:24 PM
Approximate measures:
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 can creamed corn
1 can diced tomatoes
either diced chicken (cooked), or stew beef (browned), or 1 can of other beans (navy, lima, kidney)
chicken broth
1 tsp-1 tbsp (depending on size of crock-pot and cans) Better than Bouillion (http://www.nationalimporters.com/item.aspx?brandCode=BETT&itemNbr=1612004) vegetable seasoning

If you want, add some rice or pearl barley. Possibly throw in some baby carrots.

This will work for a 3-4 hour recipe, as it's mostly cooked already. I usually cook this on low all day, as I'm out of the house (I just add more liquid if it'll be long).

WishesRHorses
Dec. 2, 2010, 05:45 PM
What fabulous recipes! Horse people are great cooks! I have just saved all these recipes to a pdf file. YUM!

Would like to mention that I used to do all my cooking on one day of the week. I would make up casseroles, freeze them and in the AM, pull one out of the freezer, put it in my timer oven, set the timer. It defrosted during the day, the timer oven came on, and when I came home, it was ready. Then along came the MW oven and ruined all my discipline.

HOWEVER, there are great recipes that can be made up the night before, and popped from the refrigerator into the MW when you get home.

But nothing beats the aroma of a crockpot cooked meal.

jn4jenny
Dec. 2, 2010, 06:31 PM
I admit with guilt that my crock pot tonight includes a hunk of beef, cream of mushroom soup, turkey stock from Thanksgiving, onions and potatoes.

So much for crock pot diversity! Maybe tomorrow I'll make palak paneer to make up for my sins. :lol:

BoysNightOut
Dec. 2, 2010, 06:49 PM
I think this might be a new favorite thread of mine. My former BO gave me a crockpot and a few recipes. I work all day, and have no time to cook.....I think I'll be trying a few of these! They all sound so good. :)

mkevent
Dec. 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
Whenever a recipe calls for cream soups, I use the Campbells (hey, that's keeping it horse related thanks to Mary Alice Malone!) 98% fat free soups.

I also substitute fat free sour cream for regular sour cream. I think if the recipe has a variety of ingredients, sometimes you can get away with lower fat versions and the dish will still be tasty.

This doesn't hold true for cheese, though. Fat free cheeses are not good for cooking or eating! The reduced fat versions are ok but don't melt as easily.

Thank you mods for keeping this thread open!

Fractious Fox
Dec. 2, 2010, 07:12 PM
I made Hungarian goulash last night, husband loved it. Tomorrow a friend is coming over to enjoy some traditional pot roast (but I might switch it up and do Thai beef instead..). Later this week split pea soup with leftover ham is on the menu, as well as Vindaloo chicken.

Woo!

Fractious Fox
Dec. 3, 2010, 01:34 PM
I need some help -
I'd like to get my father a crock pot cookbook for Christmas. He is single and more health conscious than the average guy, but he works long hours. He's not a complete tool in the kitchen, but he's not one to branch out and just create new and exciting dishes either (or else I'd not be asking this question!). He's expressed an interested in my recent crock pot revival, and I think he'd do well with a straight forward book full of healthy (like, not focusing on cream of whatever in every recipe) and easy meals.

I checked out reviews of the 365 crock pot lady's book Make it Fast, Cook it Slow on amazon... generally it scored well, but I'm concerned with a number of reviews that cited a good many recipes as being bland and unremarkable. Has anyone used this book and experienced the same thing?

Does anyone have a crock pot cookbook that they would recommend for a man in the kitchen? Thanks!

jn4jenny
Dec. 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
I checked out reviews of the 365 crock pot lady's book Make it Fast, Cook it Slow on amazon... generally it scored well, but I'm concerned with a number of reviews that cited a good many recipes as being bland and unremarkable. Has anyone used this book and experienced the same thing?

Does anyone have a crock pot cookbook that they would recommend for a man in the kitchen? Thanks!

As much as I like the CrockPot365 lady, I don't know why on earth you'd buy her book when she's got zillions of great recipes on her web site. For free.

For the man you're describing, my vote goes to Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. Lots of great recipes from fresh ingredients, but the recipes aren't weird or "out there."

DownYonder
Dec. 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
FWIW, I made the chicken taco soup the other day. Cooking boneless chicken breasts for 7 hours seemed like overkill, but it worked okay since the meat was shredded into the soup.

We thought it was a bit bland and ended up adding a few dashes of hot sauce once served. When we had it the second night, we added sliced radishes and avocados after dishing it up. I stuck with the hot sauce, but hubby squeezed fresh lime juice on his and thought that helped (he skipped the sour cream and cheese, though).

I might try doubling the amount of taco seasoning if I make it again, or at least add extra chili powder and cumin.

johnnysauntie
Dec. 6, 2010, 09:50 AM
I made the chicken taco soup too, and didn't change too much - and the hubby (demander of spicy things) liked it a lot, as did I. I did add a few cloves of chopped garlic and a poblano pepper. Cooked it on low all day and the chicken was very tender.

It's 8 degrees right now - I'm going to go back through the thread and find something else to cook for tonight - I'll need it when I get back from the barn this evening!

Jaegermonster
Dec. 6, 2010, 11:48 AM
Could someone post a receipe for split pea with ham soup please?

Event4Life
Dec. 7, 2010, 02:02 PM
I just made this tonight on the stove, but I'm sure you could recreate it in a crock pot.

500g diced pork
2 celery stalks (I used 4)
3 peppers
2 onions
1 x400g can chopped tomatoes
500mL medium dry cider (I used Magners, not sure if you get that in the states).
1 tbs flour
Chop vegetables, add a few glugs olive oil, cook for 10 minutes. I rubbed s+p into the meat before adding it along with the liquid and flour. I had more vegetables than the recipe suggested so I also added some water. Cook for 2 1/2 - 3 hours on low. I added dumplings (made by grating 150g cold butter into 250g flour then rubbing together to get a "breadcrumb" look then adding some water to make the dough) 1/2 an hour before it was done. Yummy!!

It's an adaption of a Jamie Oliver recipe - I used more veggies & swapped out the carrots because I don't like them very much (hey I'm not a horse!) :-P. Mmmm yummy and it made the kitchen smell really good!

Peggy
Dec. 7, 2010, 02:07 PM
As much as I like the CrockPot365 lady, I don't know why on earth you'd buy her book when she's got zillions of great recipes on her web site. For free.

For the man you're describing, my vote goes to Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. Lots of great recipes from fresh ingredients, but the recipes aren't weird or "out there."I have this and have made a number of good meals using it. They also have an intro section (crockpot 101?) that talks about things like adapting recipes, what you do if you want to prep stuff the night before, etc.

johnnysauntie
Dec. 7, 2010, 04:50 PM
I made the roast chicken recipe from earlier on this thread. And by "made" I mean I slung a chicken into the pot and hit it with some thyme and seasoned salt and cooked it.

I ate it when I got home last night after a very cold ride. And by "ate" I mean I feasted like a starving wolverine, armed with fork and tongs and fingers. It was supremely tender, moist and falling-apart done. Just the thing I needed.

mp
Dec. 7, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hey -- I made the roast chicken recipe last night, too. So easy and really really good. I would have never thought of cooking a chicken that way.

OldandNew
Dec. 7, 2010, 05:20 PM
Just popping in to say I made the roast chicken for thanksgiving. It came out better than the turkey at any rate.

pony grandma
Dec. 7, 2010, 05:30 PM
For Jaeger on the split pea soup. One of the best winter time warm belly fill-ups!

It helps to rinse, then soak the peas (overnight). I'm not specific on the using a crock pot b/c when I make split pea soup - when the peas first start to cook they froth up and that needs to be spooned off of the soup to settle it down. Then it can coast.

Basic ingredients: the peas, water to add as needed, chopped onion, white pepper seasoning, a bit of salt, some bay leaves, diced ham, carrot &/or potato chunks. The soup will self thicken as the peas get soft, add a bit of milk or cream and reduce. I like it with a little bit of chunk to it. My daughter who won't eat regular peas loves this soup. So good with a chunk of good bread or esp an onion dill bread made into a grilled cheese.

BeastieSlave
Dec. 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
This thread is so great! It's pretty cold down here these days and I'm in full crockpot mode. I went and bought one of the cookbooks (because I'm too lazy and easily distracted to surf through all those recipes on the 'net) and DH spent some time flipping through it before I had a chance to. He's already marked some that he wants to try. I'm making Brunswick stew tomorrow, but will take a shot at the roast chicken next, I think.

I swear, it's the best to come in from doing chores at the farm and have dinner ready!! :D

AliBus
Dec. 7, 2010, 07:54 PM
Had it Sunday night...and again for lunch on Monday -- it was delicious -- I put a little cheese and avocado in the bottom of the bowl, dumped the soup in, and then topped with sour cream. It was yummy! I will definitely make it again :yes:

Fractious Fox
Dec. 7, 2010, 08:21 PM

For the man you're describing, my vote goes to Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. Lots of great recipes from fresh ingredients, but the recipes aren't weird or "out there."

Thanks!
Yeah, I know the recipes on the website are free, but my dad isn't likely to EVER visit that website, even if it makes sense to do so.

Not Your Mother's Crock Pot was one of the books I liked. Thanks!

LovelyBay
Dec. 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
I made the best vegetable soup this weekend! I put everything in the crock, went to the barn for the afternoon, and when I came home I had yummy warm soup! Healthy too!

Here is roughly what I put in:
1 can tomato soup
beef and chicken broth (low sodium)
Carrots
Potatoes
Celery
Onions
Green Beans
Red beans (pinto?)
white beans
barley
4 cloves of garlic

With the Barley and the bean its more filling :-) I'll be eating it all week!

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:59 PM
not really crock pot but cooked long and slow.
One day once or twice a month I go bonkers and spend the day cleaning house and cooking. The regulars are:
mexican ground beef with diced peppers and onion.
2lbs 94% lean ground beef
1 large green bell pepper, finely diced
2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
1 packet of burrito seasoning

caramelize the onion, add green pepper til wilty, then add ground beef and stir/chop with spatula til it gets that mexi ground beef consistency.
I freeze 1/5lbs and the other 1/2lb lives in the fridge to be added to nachos, tortillas, salads, you name it. Nuked for 2 mins you have FOOD

Beef Stew
4lbs chuck roast cubed to 1x1"
3 large onions cut large
2lbs russet potatoes cut large
1/2 head cabbage cut large
3lbs carrots (or get baby carrots)
1T salt
4T fresh ground black pepper
1c instant mashed potatoes or flour (for thickening)
1qt water

brown roast
add onions after a few moments of caramelizing in the stew fat add a touch of water
add potatoes, cabbage and carrots
season
add enough water to where you can see it, maybe 2/3 of the way up.
cook til meat falls apart.
when it does, if the broth is loose, add mashed potatoes or flour, stirring a small amount at a time until the desired thickness.

World's Easiest Brunswick Stew
1 12.5oz can of:
corn
peas
kidney beans
carrots
diced potatoes
collard greens

1 22oz can of:
diced tomatoes
green beans

2 tubs loyd's bbq (or you can do 1 tub and 1lbs chicken boiled and shredded)
1C favorite bbq sauce

black pepper
crushed red pepper

can't get easier than drain all 12.5oz cans and green beans, dump them in a pot with the tomatoes, loyds and bbq sauce. add a little water and walk the eff away.
This is not a runny soup. This eats like a meal and this recipe makes enough for 2 people to eat off of for at least 5 days.

carolprudm
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:15 AM
This doesn't hold true for cheese, though. Fat free cheeses are not good for cooking or eating! The reduced fat versions are ok but don't melt as easily.

Thank you mods for keeping this thread open!
FWIW Low fat mozarella melts well, especially the fresh type, the stuff that comes in balls rather than sliced or shredded.

Since I mostly just cook for me I don't do crock pots and have been in search of a good canned soup. I found a winner last night, Progresso's Caldo de Pollo. The can says it serves 2 but certainly not for a meal for a cold and hungry barn worker. I poured half the broth into the dog food and enjoyed the solids.

ChocoMare
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:56 AM
Glad you all enjoyed The Roast Chicken recipe. To me that's some serious comfort food :D

Gonna try Pony Grandma's split-pea soup next week... already have the peas!

CrazyGuineaPigLady
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks!
Yeah, I know the recipes on the website are free, but my dad isn't likely to EVER visit that website, even if it makes sense to do so.

Not Your Mother's Crock Pot was one of the books I liked. Thanks!

Instead of getting him a book, what about creating one with recipes you find online? I have a 3 ring binder with page protectors and categories for different things we’ve tried or plan to, and toss whatever didn’t make the cut. Most pages have notes about modifications I’ve made or who in the family really like/hated it. You could do something more fancy as a gift (maybe a scrap book or photo album?) and continue to add things you think he’d like in the future.

Eatingwell.com has a lot of easy, tasty, healthy recipes and I’ve been able to tweak many of them for the crock pot. In fact, I see very similar recipes on 365 so she must be doing the same thing.

Last week I made a super easy and delicious roast.

4 pound beef sirloin tip (I couldn’t find that so I used whatever was on sale and not marbled with fat)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
1 teaspoon crushed, dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried mint

Recipe said to spread the mustard on first but I mixed everything together, smeared it on and added an extra pinch of the dry ingredients on top. Fat side should be up if there is one.

I’ve made this (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkish_chicken_thighs.html) in the oven several times but I’m going to try it in the crock pot today.

mp
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:11 AM
Glad you all enjoyed The Roast Chicken recipe. To me that's some serious comfort food :D

Hey -- thanks a bunch for posting it. I couldn't remember who did.

jn4jenny
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:49 AM
Instead of getting him a book, what about creating one with recipes you find online? I have a 3 ring binder with page protectors and categories for different things we’ve tried or plan to, and toss whatever didn’t make the cut

Ditto this! I do the same thing. It's cheaper, you end up with a better and more personalized cookbook, and the page protectors keep things splatter-proof.

Fractious Fox
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
CrazyGuineaPig and Jn4Jenny, thanks for the suggestion! That would be a great idea. I think I'm going to do it, or at least a version of it. I think I might get him the cookbook which explains the basics, and then a binder that he can add recipes I email to him (I live far away) to.

I just want him to be healthy, and I really think that doing something that points him in this direction is a good call, and will compliment his other gifts nicely. He's already outdone me on gifts though... I'm pretty sure he is giving me the Charles Owen Ultralite vest, woo! Go Dad! I'm 27, but he still likes to feel like he's watching out for me. :)

AnotherRound
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:53 AM
Beef stew is one that does up quick

Beef or Tofu cubes
Carrots
Mushrooms
Potatoes
Mushroom soup
Garlic

Along this line, veal/barley soup. Comforting, simple, uncomplicated but rich tasting, goes with a loaf of rustic bread and butter. Just the thing to come home to. You'd be surprised at the flavor, lighter than beef barely soup, more 'french'

cubed veal
1/4 cup butter or olive oil
kitchen magic
vegetable stock (Knorr cubes)
onions sliced up for soup
1 cup sherry

IMPORTANT Herb: Wild Bay Myrtle leaves, dried for the winter. See PS at the bottom.

Alternate Herb: Rosemary

cube the veal and roll it in a bit of gravy master or kitchen magic, not alot, just a bit
saute the veal in one quarter cup of butter to brown it a bit; use olive oil instead if you like
throw it into the pot with the onions, water, sherry, dried bay myrtle leaves (crushed or ground in spice grinder) and cubes of vegetable boullion. use one cube of knorr boullion per 2 cups water. You can pretty much fill up the crock pot with water including the sherry. Add several handfulls of dried barley. Maybe three, two might be better. Barley really expands, and you want this to be soup, not a "rice-type" of dish.

High for 3 hours, medium for 5 hours

Avoid the temptation to add garlic; this is a hearty while delicate soup which is quickly overwhelmed with with garlic or any more herbs than the oinion, savory herb, and sherry.

Also avoid using chicken or beef boullion. Those flavors are too strong, and overwhelm the flavors the soup will create on its own with the few more simple ingredients here.

Avoid using cooking sherry - this is very salty and unsuitable for this meal. Often an inexpensive but heary sherry is wonderful. Yes, you can try a tawny port, but not a red.

Add a bit of fresh sherry to the soup to finish off, when you get home, if you want, but not necessary. If fresh sherry is not added, pour a glass to accompany the meal.

Dish up in a favorite soup bowl, and hunch over the steaming bowl with a spoon in one hand and a hunk of crusty bread and butter in the other, a tumbler of sherry at the ready, reading COTH in the warm kitchen with the dog thumping his tail under the table. This way, you can see, well, you can notice, the kids and husband tumble through the door as they come in, and wave your arm in the general direction of the soup and bread, without having to get up or take your eyes off the horse threads.

Remember that alcohol is cooked off during the process, so there isn't anything in appropriate for the children, just a hint of the flavor.

PS - In late august, bay myrtle, or wax myrtle as some know it, is fragrant and full of oils - look up the plant online or in a book - crush the leaves beginning in late summer and wait until you find the savory aroma irrisistable. Pick thick stems of it and hang it in the kitchen for several weeks. Use this for suffings, soups, roasts, anything savory. The leaves and stems have a "juniper" flavor, not as bitter as the itialian type of bay leaf, much more New England in character. Really wonderful to have, and often found in many parts of the country along the edges of fields or open places, with beech, witch hazel, birch sapling, cedars, blueberry. The bay myrtle, or wax myrtlel will be the first bush on the edge of the cleared space. This is the same myrtle as Wax myrtle, which has been used for bayberry candles. The berries for the candles can be collected at the same time. Don'w wait until a near-frost night comes, once it gets cold at night, the oils in the leaves dry up and the flavor is gone, and you ahve to wait until next year to get some. The oils aren't rich in the plant until end of summer. Keep checking during the summer to see.

Shine
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:09 AM
If you have people in and out of the house through out the day like I do (DH's employees), I sometimes pop in a gallon of cider w/cinnamon sticks in the crock pot. MMMMM.....mulled cider!

AnotherRound
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:12 AM
Nice one, Shine.

Not edible, but I keep a pot of water with orange peels, cinamon stick, cloves, and wax myrtle leaves, berries, or sticks, simmering on the stove. Just to cover the smell of wet dog, and riding boots, you see. Allows me to say yes if the landlord wants to stop in to fix the window or something.

evans36
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
I make BBQ crockpot meatballs -they're really easy.
Take a bag of frozen pre-made meatballs, I like the italian kind but you can use regular. Put in like 1-1.5c ketchup. Like 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, a bit of worcestershire sauce, 2 tbs melted butter, slice a vidalia onion and put it in there, salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste. Pour a can of beer over the whole thing. I usually use natty light, but any yard beer works. I wouldn't use dark beer though. Low for 8 hours, and I serve over egg noodles or hoagie rolls or whatever I have on hand. I love to make this at night for early tailgates, take it in the crock pot sleeve with the lid on and it stays warm for quite some time.

The other thing I do, not in the crock pot, but I make chicken casserole and put it in at like 200 (350 for 45 mins if you're not at the barn) with foil on top the whole time I'm gone. Take about 2 lbs of pulled chicken (the easiest thing to do is use leftovers or get a rotisserie chicken from the store). Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1 16oz sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over chicken and mix around. Melt a stick of butter, crush a sleeve of crackers - usually saltines but Ritz are yummy if you want the added fat - mix the 2 and top the casserole. When you get home, jack the oven up to 450 and put it under the hot element without the tin foil to brown the top. This can be really yummy low-fat too if you use low-fat sour cream and low-fat soup. But don't use fat-free sour cream... gives it a tang that is unpleasant. You can add steamed veggies to this before cooking too. I usually serve it over rice. The greatest thing is you can make it in advance, freeze it, and then pop it in for a few hours on low heat and it's ready just like the crock pot.

AnotherRound
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:41 AM
Or over egg noodles - yum.

bludejavu
Dec. 9, 2010, 12:47 PM
I make BBQ crockpot meatballs -they're really easy.
Take a bag of frozen pre-made meatballs, I like the italian kind but you can use regular. Put in like 1-1.5c ketchup. Like 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, a bit of worcestershire sauce, 2 tbs melted butter, slice a vidalia onion and put it in there, salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste. Pour a can of beer over the whole thing. I usually use natty light, but any yard beer works. I wouldn't use dark beer though. Low for 8 hours, and I serve over egg noodles or hoagie rolls or whatever I have on hand. I love to make this at night for early tailgates, take it in the crock pot sleeve with the lid on and it stays warm for quite some time.

I've been looking for something to serve for a little Christmas get-together and this sounds like it would be really good with side salads. Thanks - gonna give this a try!

For those of you who like sweet & sour recipes - I searched high and low for a recipe that had easily obtainable ingredients and found this. You can add mushrooms, any color bell peppers and any oriental additions to this base according to your taste:

4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 cloves garlic (I buy already minced in a jar)
Salt/Pepper to taste
Dash Cayenne Pepper
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 can pineapple tidbits (undrained)
1/2 onion, sliced thin
1 thin sliced bell pepper (any color)
4 oz. thin spaghetti (broken into bite size pieces)

Combine first 9 ingredients, bring to a boil on stove, add spaghetti and boil just until slightly softened. Transfer to a crockpot, add pineapple, peppers & onion. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours until onions are translucent and peppers are very tender. Makes 6 svgs.

I don't have a lot of time for lunch as I'm in the barn daily, all day long. I come in, microwave a serving of the sweet & sour soup, add a cheese biscuit also heated in microwave, and it's ready in just a minute. With the excessive cold we've had here in GA the last week, this has really warmed me up considerably (and made me sleepy ;)).

CrazyGuineaPigLady
Dec. 9, 2010, 02:55 PM
I never got around to making the Turkish chicken yesterday but I did give one of those slow cooker packets in the spice aisle a try for chicken noodle soup. My husband thought it was from Panera or the deli so I guess I’ll be picking up more. :lol:

Didn’t someone earlier ask how to make ribs less greasy?

I use a rub (also from the spice aisle), stick them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, flip and cook for another 20. In the meantime I turn the crockpot on high, throw in half a small bottle of BBQ sauce and some water (maybe 1/2 cup), stir and add enough water to the rest of the bottle that it can be shaken and poured easily. Once the ribs are “browned” I transfer them to the crockpot, dump the rest of the BBQ sauce on top and turn it to low for 4-6 hours.

Diluting the sauce with water seems to be the key and there’s definitely no loss of flavor.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 9, 2010, 03:25 PM
Making Freebird's Boston Butt as we speak :D
Got stuff to make one of the taco soups too

camohn
Dec. 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
here is one from my recipe box for those wanting ones without a "cream of...." soup.
3 cans of beans I used one each of black beans, black eyed peas and pintos
6 cups of water
1/2 cup diced ham or 1 ham hock
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/4 c diced onion
1/2 c diced carrots
1 clove crushed garlic (or 1/8 tsp dry)
1 bay leaf
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp marjoram
1 Tb Worchstershire sauce
1/2 tsp basil
1 jar of tomato pasta sauce
1 link of sausage/out of casing in small chunks: you can adjust what kind to taste (how spicy you like it)....ranging from sweet Italian to hot Italian to andoullie sausage for those that like real kick!

Toss all in Crockpot/simmer on low 8 hours. Hubby didn't think he would like pasta sauce in his bean and ham soup peering in the pot...but decided he was wrong. I humorously reminded him when I made it tonight (to 2 bowls up for dinner) that I HAD made it before and he liked it the last time too!

Dapple Dawn Farm
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
Today I'm making Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork, recipe from allrecipies.com...great to come home to after spending cold hours at the barn!!!

Loves to ride
Dec. 13, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Moderators.

Any chance of making this thread sticky?

:)

Shine
Dec. 13, 2010, 10:59 AM
Pepper Steak:

2 lbs. beef steak, cut into 2" cubes (or strips)
garlic powder to taste
3 tablespoons veg. oil
1 beef bouillon cube
1/4 c. hot water
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 large bell peppers rough chopped (or strips)
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, w/ juice
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 teas. white sugar
1 teas. salt

Sprinkle beef w/ garlic powder the brown in oil - transfer to crock pot

Mix bullion cube in hot water, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour mixture over meat. Stir in onion, peppers, tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar and salt.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4.

This can basically be used with any cut of beef. I like to use a green and red pepper for variation I also tend to add more onion and peppers but this is the general recipe.

Great over rice!:)

ChocoMare
Dec. 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hey all... I got a new one I tried on Friday. YUMMO!

CROCK POT FRENCH DIP

--4 pounds rump roast
--1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
--1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
--1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
--6 French rolls
--2 Tablespoons butter

Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.

Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce in individual bowls for dipping.

wsmoak
Dec. 13, 2010, 11:34 AM
I've made chicken in the crock pot twice since this thread started and today it's pinto beans (1 lb dried beans, ham hock, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powser, water). DH will make corn bread in the cast iron skillet later to go with the beans

The chicken with rosemary and thyme is great to put into chicken salad with mayo, pepper, sweet relish, cranberry 'Craisins' and walnuts. (Recipe reverse engineered from some fancy deli place where I paid $7 for a sandwich and said, we can make this cheaper...)

I'll have to talk DH out of the green chile pork recipe he does in the crockpot, but after all the cheese and corn tortillas that get added it does not go in the 'good for you' column.

camohn
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
and somtimes there is good ole nuttin' fancy:
last night I did corned beef. All that went in the the am is the corned beef, water and spice pack that comes with it. No extra stuff needed for a tender corned beed. Served w/ sauerkraut and 'taters that I threw in the the oven on the way out to feed the horses. Leftovers only need rye bread swiss cheese and russian dressing to make reubens the next night. Russian dressing is getting really hard to find though....can either subsitute 1000 Island or make in 2 seconds from scratch. The from scratch is best made ahead though so the flavors can meld.....so do it when you throw the beef in the CP in the am!!
1/2 cup mayo
1.5 tsp onion
1/2 tsp horseradish
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp parsley
1.5 TB chili sauce
1.5 tsp ketchup

in a pinch (like last night!) when I didn't have chili sauce I subsituted pickle relish and it came out fine

ChocoMare
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
I made the chicken and dumplings today. Fantastic! The only thing I changed was that I added the biscuits to the cooker about an hour in, so they cooked for about 3 hours before eating. Also, I added chopped carrots and celery. :yes:

I made it yesterday. LOVED it! Only thing I changed was I cooked it on low for 7 hours and used one can of the GIANT biscuits. Those took about an hour to get fluffy.

Very filling, very yummy :yes:

AND perfect for when Hubby and I got home from the barn, chilled to the bone. ;)

johnnysauntie
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
Broke my slow cooker insert last night. A week and a half until the new one arrives. I had just bought fixin's for ham bean and sausage soup and was already fantasizing about my joy at returning home to a full pot of that. Dang. :(

deacon's mom
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:56 AM
So far, I've tried four of these receipes. I'm back to see to see what else has been posted. I love this thread. Very helpful.

Couture TB
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:25 AM
Still going through these but thought I'd add the ones we do :)

This is one of my husbands favorites:
Irish Beef Stew
Take either cut up chunks of roast or stew meat and you can either brown it in garlic and olive oil before putting it in the crock pot or not. If you do brown the meat, then toss in the chunks of potato and onion with some butter and use the drippings of the meat to get them all browned and softish. Then toss the meat, potatos, onions, some carrots in the slow cooker. Add in a couple dashes of worshteshier, 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste(less salt and pepper if you used it to brown the meat) a tablespoon of sugar, and then about quarter to half a bottle of a red wine ( I like cabrenet shiraz myself) and a can of heavy beer, we use Guinness or Boddingtons. Then add a cup or two of water or beef broth and set it and off you go!

Indian rice and beef

I use my electric kettle to heat up some water, then dump it in the cooker and stir in a tablespoon of Better Then Boulian Mushroom, then put brown basmatti rice (you can also mix in some wild rice) in the water NOTE Mate sure you measure your water to rice! or else you will end up with a TON of rice (ask me how I know this) Then sprinkle the rice with Penzys Rogan Josh Indian spice, and on top of the rice put either a roast or chunks of beef and once again add the Rogan Josh seasoning. Set it on low and leave!

"Prime Rib" Roast

So we call this our "Prime Rib" fake roast. You just make a regular type pot roast but make sure to put either Better Then Bullion Beef in the bottom of the cooker with water, or a can of Ajsu. Before you put your meat in coat it with Penzys Prim Rib Seasoning. Makes a fall apart pot roast that tastes like Prime Rib!

Cheesy Rice and Turkey

Add the water, rice, turkey, and a can of chedder cheese soup and set on low. Yummy fast, and if you ignore the turkey healthy! :lol:

camohn
Dec. 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
Avoid using cooking sherry - this is very salty and unsuitable for this meal. Often an inexpensive but heary sherry is wonderful. Yes, you can try a tawny port, but not a red..

on this topic....I agree. Most of my soups and stews are all improved with the addition of a couple TB of sherry....especially seafood and veggie soups..but do not use cooking sherry. Crap in = crap out. Cooking sherry is awful stuff and adds nothing. If it isn't palatable enough to drink (and you can't with this stuff) it should not go in your soup either.I always wondered who came up with the concept of cooking sherry. Probably some sherry company with a bad batch they tried to figure out what to do with the stuff! I prefer Taylor brand. There are several cheap drinking sherries at the liquor store/I like this one the best so this one sits on my counter for the soup pot.

I was about to make French Onion Soup in da pot for tonights dinner...the Irish Stew above looks good. Tomorrow I will make the Irish Stew and it can go with my left over onion soup!

MXL
Dec. 16, 2010, 11:18 AM
Someone may have already posted this--so forgive if this is a repeat, but I just found this:

http://southernfood.about.com/c/ec/1.htm

They'll send you a crock pot recipe each week. Especially during this cold winter, I'm game for any ideas--then when I come home from a long day at work, and after feeding and caring for the horses, I can come inside and have dinner already ready. :yes:

You may have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the link to sign up for the newsletter.

Alibhai's Alibar
Feb. 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
I eat like a frat boy and this thread has me thinking about buying a crockpot. Any advice on which one to buy?

Thank you :)

WishesRHorses
Feb. 20, 2011, 04:53 PM
I have a Rival Crockpot--6 quart. I don't know if they make them anymore--it has lasted a while! It has a removable "crock" that is very convenient for washing. You can get programmable ones now! Apparently Hamilton Beach has some good ones.

Mao
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:08 PM
So great this has been resurrected! Thank you Coth. My husband & kids totally love the chicken and dumplings & chicken & cheddar cheese soup recipes, as well as the beef stew (which I still struggle with thickening properly. Any advice there appreciated.)

And I've discovered the joys of crockpot liner bags. My kids - who clean kitchen after dinner - thank you all - lol!

GraceLikeRain
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:55 PM
Reading all of these have made me super hungry. Anyone have any vegan crockpot recipes they want to volunteer?

2DogsFarm
Feb. 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
I make vegan chili in my crockpot - mushrooms & eggplant add "meaty" flavor.
I've never tired it with tofu but imagine that wouldwork too.

Just use your fave recipe and less liquid (nothing evaporates from a crockpot).

Mali
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:34 PM

I made that pulled pork last weekend and it was MARVELOUS! We had company over, and nobody believe that I cooked it in root beer!

Tap2Tango
Feb. 21, 2011, 09:39 PM
I made that pulled pork last weekend and it was MARVELOUS! We had company over, and nobody believe that I cooked it in root beer!

How did you drain the pork?

Shine
Feb. 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
So great this has been resurrected! Thank you Coth. My husband & kids totally love the chicken and dumplings & chicken & cheddar cheese soup recipes, as well as the beef stew (which I still struggle with thickening properly. Any advice there appreciated.)

I use corn starch - usually a 1:3 ratio (ie: 1 tablespoon of corn starch to 3 tablespoons liquid). Mix the combo for a smooth thick paste then add to the crockpot. Do not add the cornstarch directly to the hot liquid or you will get lumps (ask me how I know):eek:. Always use a cold liquid for the paste (cold water, milk, or liquid from the crockpot that has been cooled). Adjust the ratio depending on how thick you want it but just keep in mind the longer it cooks the thicker it will be.

Mali
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
How did you drain the pork?

I pulled the intact pork out of the crockpot, then set it in a rectangular tupperware container with sides to pull it apart. Then I placed the pulled pork in a large hand held strainer and let it sit for a few minutes. Then put the pulled pork into a serving dish. I served the barbeque sauce on the side, since not everybody likes the bbq added.

eventer_mi
Feb. 22, 2011, 07:04 PM
OK, I'll contribute.

Election Lunch (but it's really a stew)
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 lb. sausage, sliced or crumbled (I use a Maple sausage because I have a sweet tooth)
1 rib celery, sliced
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 c. honey
10 oz. can tomatoes (I like the fire roasted kind)
1-lb. can lima beans, drained (save liquid)
1-lb. can red kidney beans, drained (save liquid)
1-lb. can garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
optional - diced potatoes

1. Brown onion & sausage in oil.
2. Combine ingredients in 6 qt. slow cooker. Add reserved juice from beans if there's enough room.
3. Cover. Cook on low 2-4 hours.

Even if you don't like beans, this is heavenly. I always get requests for this recipe, and it reheats even better the next day. You can adjust the honey for more or less sweetness. I like it slightly sweet.

Btw, if you use steel cut oats and half and half (with lots of dried fruit), a slow cooker makes an incredible creamy oatmeal. I made it once for 53 who stayed over night, and she practically polished off an entire crockpot worth by herself. I don't like instant oatmeal, but slow cooker oatmeal is to die for.

OTTB FTW
Feb. 24, 2011, 12:54 PM
I had this cookbook recommended to me, and I love it too:

"Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" - Stephanie O'Dea

Easy simple recipes that are fast to prepare, decent taste, healthy enough. Author has a funny story about writing the book, and gives some amusing comments after recipes for an added bonus!

jn4jenny
Feb. 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
America's Test Kitchen just came out with a cookbook called Slow Cooker Revolution. It looks AWESOME and I am very tempted to buy it, but money's tight this month/year. I love America's Test Kitchen and have never found their recipes to be anything less than incredible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933615699/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0936184876&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R92XRCVAMFKCJ3RZSFY

CrazyGuineaPigLady
Feb. 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
I bought Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook for my daughter's Kindle and can't figure out how to navigate through the recipes. :lol: The ones I've tried are pretty good, though.

Event4Life
Feb. 24, 2011, 05:55 PM
I bought Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook for my daughter's Kindle and can't figure out how to navigate through the recipes. :lol: The ones I've tried are pretty good, though.

How do cookbook recipes look on a kindle? I cant quite get my head round reading things like cookbooks and magazines on my kindle, but I do love it for regular books.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
This thread has been a big help for me! I'm loving my crock pot but my usual cooking method of "throw a bunch of stuff into a pot and see what happens" can get a bit repetitive. :lol: Some winners from that type of thing:

Pasta with chicken and artichokes
Put your chicken in the bottom of the pot. (I use two or three chicken breast tenders per meal, really depends- see above, "throw a bunch of stuff into a pot.") Add 1c chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 to 1 cup white wine. Season with basil, rosemary, and whatever else is in your spice cabinet that you like. On top pour in half a can of artichokes. Set on high for three hours. Come home, make pasta. Slice chicken. Pour chicken and artichokes over pasta. Delicious.

Chicken and stuffing
Couple of chicken tenders, 1c chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, diced mushrooms. A few cups of stuffing. Stick of butter melted on top of the stuffing. Stir the stuffing, broth, and soup together. Cook on high for three hours. This is total make-Renn-happy comfort food.

CrazyGuineaPigLady
Feb. 24, 2011, 07:25 PM
How do cookbook recipes look on a kindle? I cant quite get my head round reading things like cookbooks and magazines on my kindle, but I do love it for regular books.

The recipes look fine and I actually prefer using the Kindle over a paper book while cooking, but I can’t figure out how to click on anything new in the Table of Contents. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t and it could very well be operator error because I never read the instruction manual. :o

kattythmsn
Sep. 21, 2011, 06:38 AM
I think chicken recipes are always good for night when we ride....

Who in this world is not bored with regular meals??? And yes, ravishing chicken recipes could be better alternate. It’s always a treat for taste buds.
Try, chicken slices with pineapple,…its easy and nutritious.:yes:

GraceLikeRain
Sep. 21, 2011, 07:14 AM
anyone have a really great vegetarian recipe they want to share? I read through the last few pages and now I am seriously craving a good stew. I know meat-free recipes for crockpots are less common but hopefully someone has one or two good ones they wouldn't mind sharing.

ChocoMare
Sep. 21, 2011, 07:23 AM
If you're on FaceBook, there are two good CP pages:

Skinny Crock Pot (https://www.facebook.com/#!/SkinnyCrockPot)

and

Crock Pot Girls (https://www.facebook.com/#!/Crockpotgirls)

Tried this recipe from Taste of Home last week. Loved it!

Slow-Cooked Thai Peanut Chicken
1 cup all-purpose flour
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk, divided
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts

Directions

Place flour, salt & pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Brown all pieces well in hot pan with olive oil. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.

In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and 3/4 cup coconut milk; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.

In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and remaining coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with peanuts.

Yield: 8 servings.

Valentina_32926
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
Cheap piece of meat
Cheap bottle of wine (I use white)
Carrots
Potatoes
Onions
Herbs (Flavoring)

The cheaper the cut of the meat the longer it needs to cook in the wine. The longer it has to cook the larger the pieces of carrots and potatoes (so they get less mushy).

Great way to get rid of old wine and cheap meat.

Belg
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
This thread has been a big help for me! I'm loving my crock pot but my usual cooking method of "throw a bunch of stuff into a pot and see what happens" can get a bit repetitive. :lol: Some winners from that type of thing:

Pasta with chicken and artichokes
Put your chicken in the bottom of the pot. (I use two or three chicken breast tenders per meal, really depends- see above, "throw a bunch of stuff into a pot.") Add 1c chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 to 1 cup white wine. Season with basil, rosemary, and whatever else is in your spice cabinet that you like. On top pour in half a can of artichokes. Set on high for three hours. Come home, make pasta. Slice chicken. Pour chicken and artichokes over pasta. Delicious.

Chicken and stuffing
Couple of chicken tenders, 1c chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, diced mushrooms. A few cups of stuffing. Stick of butter melted on top of the stuffing. Stir the stuffing, broth, and soup together. Cook on high for three hours. This is total make-Renn-happy comfort food.

Chicken and stuffing YUM marvelous idea!

Belg
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
If you're on FaceBook, there are two good CP pages:

Skinny Crock Pot (https://www.facebook.com/#!/SkinnyCrockPot)

and

Crock Pot Girls (https://www.facebook.com/#!/Crockpotgirls)

Tried this recipe from Taste of Home last week. Loved it!

Slow-Cooked Thai Peanut Chicken
1 cup all-purpose flour
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk, divided
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts

Directions

Place flour, salt & pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Brown all pieces well in hot pan with olive oil. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.

In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and 3/4 cup coconut milk; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.

In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and remaining coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with peanuts.

Yield: 8 servings.

Another YUMMY looking recipe!

Flash44
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
Here are 2 very quick recipes - I make a triple batch of pasta sauce and freeze some
==

Quick Pasta Sauce

1/8 c olive oil
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes

Combine olive oil, red pepper, sea salt and garlic in cold saucepan. Turn heat on med-hi and stir for about 45 seconds, or until it is fragrant. Do not let the garlic brown. Stir in the tomatoes and heat to a gentle simmer.

==

Mac N Cheese

3 tbsp margarine
2 1/2 c uncooked macaroni
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 (8 oz) package cheddar cheese, shredded
4 c milk

Heat oven to 350. Place margarine in 9x13 baking dish and put it in the oven to melt. When margarine is melted, pour in macaroni, salt and pepper. Stir to coat the macaroni. Sprinkle cheese on the macaroni, then gently pour in the milk. Do not stir and do not cover the dish. Bake at 350 for one hour.

2DogsFarm
Sep. 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
anyone have a really great vegetarian recipe they want to share? I read through the last few pages and now I am seriously craving a good stew. I know meat-free recipes for crockpots are less common but hopefully someone has one or two good ones they wouldn't mind sharing.

I make a Killer vegetarian chili in my crockpot.
Just sub eggplant - unpeeled, cut into largish chunks - for meat & add mushrooms to your favorite recipe.
Both the eggplant & mushrooms add meaty flavor.
I also used green pepper, onions, black beans (canned) & corn in my chili and won 3rd place at a Chili Cookoff against meat-filled chilis.

johnnysauntie
Jan. 3, 2012, 01:55 PM
Bumping this, because I figured if I was looking for this thread others may find it useful too. Any new additions, folks?

darkmoonlady
Jan. 3, 2012, 02:27 PM
I take "beef for soup" lol literally the label on the package from our grocery store, just cheap cuts of beef in chunk sizes. Add that to the crockpot frozen, along with the classic onion soup mix and a spoonful of better than buillion, a cup and half of water *or a can of low sodium tomato juice. I put it on low all day. If you like add what veggies you like for the last few hours or if you're like me and don't like mushy veggies I just steam them at the last minute and serve with the beef over the top. I like to have this with either rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.

Janet
Jan. 3, 2012, 02:33 PM
Am I the only one who keeps seeing this as

Crackpot Recipes?

asb_own_me
Jan. 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
No, you're not!

Foxtrot's
Jan. 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
Great thread - should be put in amongst the 'keeper' threads.

Also, reviews on the recipies are helpful.

kathy s.
Jan. 3, 2012, 06:30 PM
Long time lurker here, so hello to all!

I make this crock pot meal several times during the winter when it's cold and I have no time to cook.

1 pk. of skinless/boneless chicken breast or thighs
1 pk onion soup mix
1 can of low sodium green beans (drained)
carrots to taste
1 can cream of celery
1 can fat free chicken broth
1 can low fat cream of chicken
1 pk. of cheese garlic biscuit mix

Mix everything but the chicken and biscuit mix together in the crock pot
Place chicken in crock pot, making sure it is covered by the soup mix
Cook in crock pot (I put it on high until I'm heading out the door then switch it to low while I'm gone)
30-45 minutes before serving, mix up biscuit mix and dollop onto the meal cooking in the crock pot

The cheese garlic biscuits really add a good flavor to the meal.

jn4jenny
Jan. 3, 2012, 08:46 PM

It's not technically a crock pot recipe, but the Hillbilly Housewife recipe for Lentil Chili works well in the crock pot and can be easily made vegetarian.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/lentilchili.htm

Just sub a good vegetarian broth for the beef boullion + water. In fact, I often make Lentil Chili the day after I've made chickpeas (for hummus or Moroccan Stew) or black beans (for rice and beans) in my crock pot. I take the leftover bean broth water and combine it with vegetable scraps, add more water and a little Italian seasoning, and put that on low overnight to produce some kickass homemade broth for the Lentil Chili.

It takes about 1.5 hrs on High with hot water/broth or 6 hours on low with cold water/broth. I serve it over rice or with garlic flatbread. It also tastes better the next day and it costs almost nothing to make, so make a full pot! (Note to the non-vegetarians: it also pairs well with leftover shredded chicken or turkey.)

And although it's not a full meal, these crock pot brussel sprouts are pretty amazing and pair up nicely with leftover mashed potatoes or a microwaved baked potato:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/10/very-best-brussels-sprouts-ever-slow.html

camohn
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:59 PM
a good thread to resurrect now that the cold weather has returned!
made this one last night:

White Chicken Chili

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper
3 ribs diced celery
1/4 c or 1 small can green chilies
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tb vegetable oil
2 to 4 Tb flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 cans of white beans or black eyed peas/rinsed and drained
2 to 3 cups diced chicken
1/4 cup of sour cream
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Combine all in the slow cooker except the dairy products (milk and sour cream). Cook for the day (6 to 8 hrs) on low. Add the dairy products about 30 min before serving.
*I have done it with both fresh chicken and cooked leftovers.If using pre cooked chicken then it can just be added at the end with the dairy products to warm it through.
* If using cooked chicken add 2 Tb of flour. If using fresh chicken then use 4 Tb of flour as it adds more liquid to the pot/needs to be thickened more.
* this makes a mild chili for spiciness. Being a more delicate white sauce I don't want to overpower it...but if you want more spice add some red pepper flakes too.