PDA

View Full Version : How high do you like your indoor arena side walls?

Romany
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:05 PM
I posted this in Around the farm, but I thought I'd get some good answers here.

Background; we're building a steel structure that'll be 72' wide, with stalls and implement storage (safely separated), with a view to extending the length in 4-5 years so it can become an indoor.

So - how high do you like the walls of your indoor arena? What's the comfortable minimum? 12'? 14'? More?

The way these structures are designed, there aren't trusses, but the rafters follow the roofline to the peak, if that makes sense.

This structure will be strictly for private use, but one should never forget resale, so we'd hate to keep the costs down and make it low now, only to find that's a deterrant to future buyers.

Thanks!

CHT
Nov. 9, 2010, 02:07 PM
I think our sidewalls are 16 feet.

Any lower in the ceiling and we would have had a heck of a time getting footing dumped in the arena without taking out the roof!

It also made the barn roof heigh enough that we could put a lounge over the tack room/mechanical room.

Changing lights is sure fun though....

Just wanted to add; I have ridden in an arena with 12 foot side walls, and when you consider the lights and fans hanging from the ceiling, it really felt LOW and not all that safe when jumping!