PDA

View Full Version : Oiling calfskin

equidae
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:55 AM
Did a search on here, didn't find anything.

I got a new pair of Arc de Triomphe calfskin stirrup leathers.. they're very soft and seem nice but the color isn't exactly where I want it. They seem almost suede-like to me.. can I oil them like you would a regular saddle? I'd like them a little darker/browner. I have just regular Neatsfoot oil. Thanks!

horseymichelle
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:40 AM
Neatsfoot oil is ok to use to darken leather, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. It can break down the stitching if you use a lot and it softens the leather a lot (which is good sometimes). Try one or two applications of it then go to your normal saddle conditioner/cleaner. My favorite darkening oil is called Tanners; it works well.

BAC
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:07 AM
I used CWD cream conditioner to darken my CWD calfskin leathers, it did a beautiful job without leaving them too greasy. Otherwise I generally use Tanner's Oil or Blue Ribbon (now called Walsh Leather Oil) for darkening.

Go Fish
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:18 PM
It can break down the stitching if you use a lot and it softens the leather a lot (which is good sometimes).

This was true back in the old days when natural threads were used on leather. It's not true anymore.

Darken with PURE neatsfoot oil until the leathers are the color you want, then pretty much leave them alone. I maybe use neatsfoot oil twice a year on all my leather. I clean with plain old glycerin which seems to keep the color dark.

Neatsfoot oil and glycerin are made from cow byproducts. Pretty natural products to use on leather, which believe it or not, is made from cows.

I darken new leather by liberally coating it with neatsfoot oil, putting it in a plastic bag, and leaving overnight. Voila - leather all dark.

Lucassb
Nov. 9, 2010, 08:10 PM
Neatsfoot oil is ok to use to darken leather, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. It can break down the stitching if you use a lot and it softens the leather a lot (which is good sometimes). Try one or two applications of it then go to your normal saddle conditioner/cleaner. My favorite darkening oil is called Tanners; it works well.

Actually, it is the neatsfoot compound that was known to be bad for stitching. The neatsfoot oil is actually fine, used in moderation.

PROTACKGUY
Nov. 11, 2010, 11:04 AM
Other than a very light initial oiling done gingerly, I would use a leather conditioner to keep it in shape rather than oiling.