PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse Sunday Mid-show entertainment

AlteringtheCourse
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:06 AM
I am very displeased with the Syracuse Invitational’s choice of afternoon entertainment on Sunday for the Sporthorse Cup. I brought my two young children, each with a friend, on our trainer’s recommendation to watch the Sporthorse Cup. Our trainer had ravely promoted Sunday’s afternoon show as a fantastic one to bring the children to, saying how great they usually are at explaining exactly what is going on, and how it is different types of show jumping to keep even the fathers interested. The juniors were competing in the first portion on their Maclay rounds, which were just stunning to watch, and great for the children to see how beautiful and important their equitation is, and what they are at what they are working towards, even at the lower levels. Then the Sporthorse Cup started and the first round was full of fast paced fun action, which woke my husband up out of his equitation round induced nap. And then the sharp turn downhill. While I respect the athletic endeavor of “The Horse-men,” the stripping was something that I for one, did not appreciate my young children watching. It was totally in appropriate for an afternoon, family based event. I am having a hard time comprehending how the Invitational could have wholesome activities for the children in the kids corner in the On-Center, host an elegant awards ceremony for the wonderful junior Maclay riders, and then invite 3 men to strip in the middle of the afternoon show. It is one thing for after the late-night World Cup Qualifier, when all the children are either in bed already or brought home as soon as the event is over. Sure drag in some extra ticket sales from teeny-boppers and middle age house wives to oogle “The Horse-men,” at 10:00 at night… but 3:00 in the afternoon when most of the parents are able to bring the children out to watch… What were they thinking? I, and also many parents from our stable which I have been talking to, will not be bringing our children and husbands back next year unless the entertainment is going to be more wholesome for the younger viewers. :no:

Madeline
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
Really? They stripped all the way down to baggy swim trunks...

There was a magician performing in this area who had double entendres as part of his routine. After he drew gasps from some parents, he said "If your small kids are getting this, it's not my fault..."

AlteringtheCourse
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
It was the act of suggestively stripping, regardless of what they end up in, that I do not want my 6 and 8 year old seeing.

theinstigator
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
Yes, they only stripped to their swim trunks, but some of the commentating going on from the male commentator with an accent (sorry I don't know his name) was a bit inappropriate (IMHO). I also found it inappropriate that the performers were stripping down like Chippendales dancers.

I will say they while their jumping talent was impressive, the display totally cheapened the event for me. I can understand how parents with children present would be upset. I was embarrassed.

MHM
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
If you have a complaint, why are you posting it here instead of emailing the horse show about it?

If you want something different for next year, give them some feedback. They're not mindreaders.

AlteringtheCourse
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:04 PM
I am looking to see if there are others whom feel the same way about it, or whether it was viewed at a fantastic thing by most and I would be wasting my time by mentioning it to management. You would think that there would have already been some time spent thinking about the ramifications of having such a display before hiring them by show management, so I figured I would seek out others who were there for feedback before addressing the issue.

MHM
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:10 PM
I believe it's a very popular act at horse shows in Europe. I've seen videos posted here from Youtube where the crowd goes wild. So they probably thought it was a good thing, since they're always interested in improving the show.

If I felt strongly about it, I would just contact the show directly, but that's just me. :)