PDA

View Full Version : Best Vets, RI/MA Area...possible intern?

MGD2012
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hello all!

I've finally registered as an actual user after lurking for quite some time. A little bit of background: I've ridden/showed/owned horses since I was eight years old. Although I no longer show (college=broke) I still work with horses. I recently decided I want to be an equine vet. I figured out the college classes I have to take for vet school and am working hard to maintain the highest GPA I can. I also volunteer at a local small animal clinic. However in order to prepare a competitive resume I need experience with the field I'm interested in. I am excited to get started but need to find a willing teacher....

Does anyone have any recommendations for vets in the RI/MA area? Any advice/experiences/ information on equine vet school would be quite appreciated :D

JumpinBean17
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hi there! I am more in central MA...but these vets might work for you, Dr.Koss is fantastic, if you just good Dr.Kris Koss you'll get his information, Dr.Gabby of Essex Equine would be a good one to follow as he is a fantastic Lameness vet, he might be to far for you though! Goodluck

jessicaoft
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
Eric Swinebroad New Market Equine, he is in NH but will travel

He is the best for sport horses !

2boys
Nov. 9, 2010, 05:53 AM
South Shore Equine Clinic is in southeastern MA. They always have young people just starting out, and they are always making sure to teach them while working on the horses.

Silk
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:21 AM
I don't know if he is looking for someone but Dr. Koss is absolutely the best in the Central MA area. I have been at three separate barns who have used other vets, and as soon as they see him work on mine, they switch to him. Again, I kknow he has/takes vet students but you would have to call him to find out more.

Seriously, the man is a saint. He was at my pony's side within 15 mins at 4 in the morning wihtout even a question. He was absolutely wonderful, both personally and professionally when he had to tell me it was the end. Wonderful, wonderful vet and you would learn an enormous amount, since he is so busy.

His speacialty is lameness but he is an excellent general practitioner.

Closer to the RI area is Mark Holman - also a superb vet. He and Dr. Koss were collegues at Tufts years back. Holman's practice is called Boston Equine, I believe.

Riley0522
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
Dr. Mark Holman, Boston Equine Associates in Rehobeth. All around great vet, but lameness is definitely his strong point.

kimball1
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:56 PM
One of my customers is in vet school at Tufts, and another is going through the application process now. Tufts has a program where you can apply early for a special kind of internship/early admission kind of thing. It is very selective (I think they only choose 2 people) but if you do that and are rejected they will meet with you and let you know what you can do to make your application stronger when you apply for regular admission. Remember most vet schools are harder to get into than medical school, so you should get input from the schools on how to strengthen your application. Good luck!

MGD2012
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try and track down these vets..I know Dr. Holman is in Rehobeth, probably the closest to me. Does anyone have any information on his office location/hours? Also for South Shore Clinic? Dr. Koss sounds amazing but is probably too far for me :(

Kimball- Looked into the early application seems to be alot of restrictions. Only students from certain schools can apply, must be a sophomore (I'm a junior)..Too bad that would have been a great program if i met the criteria!

Starhouse
Nov. 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
I use Ocean State out of Smithfield, RI. Dr. Murdock is great and he often has students/interns with him when he comes out to my barn.

PlantersPunch
Nov. 12, 2010, 11:35 AM
Sent you a PM :)

Kashi
Nov. 12, 2010, 01:37 PM
Absolutely ditto Dr. Holman, particularly if you want to learn a ton about soundness issues. He is incredibly thorough, and great at explaining things and coming up with plans of action.

luvs2ridewbs
Nov. 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
South Shore Equine is online. They have a great clinic. (Plymouth, MA)

Ben and Me
Nov. 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just two FYI points:

1. "Interns" in veterinary lingo are folks who have already graduated from veterinary school, and are doing a year long program at a clinic/vet school in order to gain more experience before either heading out into the real world or applying for a residency. So, it's not the same as your typical undergrad "internship" -- more like how the term is used for doctors. :winkgrin:

2. You can't go to vet school for just "equine" -- when you graduate, you're licensed to practice on every species -- and you'll learn about almost every species in school. Some schools do offer tracking for your 4th year, but you'll still have to pass boards on dogs, cats, poultry, cows, pigs, etc.

The best way to get in with equine vets is to really sell yourself as someone with horse experience. Most are super busy, and don't really have the time to "hand hold" someone through basic horse handling skills. So, when you talk to them, make sure you mention that you've ridden before and feel comfortable around horses.

The best place for you to start would be with your former equine vet. Or, seek out some of the vets mentioned here, and let them know that you're interested in shadowing for a while.

What about Mass Equine? I don't know a ton about it, other than the fact that one of my classmates either worked or shadowed there before vet school.

Ben and Me
Nov. 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
I figured the AAEP (American Association of Equine Practitioners) might have a list of folks interested...

https://www.aaep.org/shadow_a_vet.htm

Doesn't look like there are any listed in MA, but there are some in the New England area. Some may even offer housing to pre-vet students coming for a week or two of shadowing.