PDA

View Full Version : Who was the youngest rider to ever win the Maclay?

isis08
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:25 PM
Who was the youngest rider to ever win the Maclay Equitation Finals? How old were they? What horse were they riding?

Madeline
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:32 PM
Who was the youngest rider to ever win the Maclay Equitation Finals? How old were they? What horse were they riding?

As of 1981, George Morris, 14. Not finding any later younger reference.

Youngest Medal and USET winner, McLain Ward, also 14.

Horseshowaddict
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
Beat me to it :-P

lauriep
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:36 PM
And I believe Conrad, his student, was the second youngest at 15.

Hunter/JumperMom
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:39 PM
I think Leslie was 15 as well, but George Morris was the youngest at 14

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know if that was his actual age? Or his show age?

chunky munky
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:52 PM
Some how I thought that Katie had won one of them at 14 as well. Also, don't think that McLain ever won the Medal.

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 07:12 PM
Also, don't think that McLain ever won the Medal.

I concur.

I believe he was 4th in both the Medal and Maclay in 1990, the same year he won the USET.

chunky munky
Nov. 8, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have recently consoled a few very good junior riders who had a bit of bad luck that McLain never won either. They see that this has not impeded his career in any significant way;-)

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have recently consoled a few very good junior riders who had a bit of bad luck that McLain never won either. They see that this has not impeded his career in any significant way;-)

Ditto for Beezie. ;)

And many others.

keepthelegend
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:18 PM
Just as a sidenote, when Conrad won he was on my Mother's horse Golden Alibhai. This is his picture with my Mom...he is also the centerfold of George Morris' book. http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/keepthelegend/?action=view&current=29322_434718490335_638055335_6103243_19098 29_n.jpg

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:32 PM
Just as a sidenote, when Conrad won he was on my Mother's horse Golden Alibhai. This is his picture with my Mom...he is also the centerfold of George Morris' book. http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/keepthelegend/?action=view&current=29322_434718490335_638055335_6103243_19098 29_n.jpg

How cool is that?!? :cool:

Peggy
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:37 PM
Have also heard that George was the youngest, or the youngest to win both the Medal and the Maclay.

Here's an unofficial list of winners, some with horses listed as well:
http://www.medalmaclay.com/eqresults/36.html

keepthelegend
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:41 PM
How cool is that?!? :cool:

My Mom took him to boarding school, took him fox hunting, etc.... then she leased him to her trainer while she dated Iggy Pop (which I also have a picture of!) and was very involved in civil rights. She never really mentioned his show career until I was a little kid and had George Morris' book and she pointed out his picture. Most of her pictures of him are hunting and eventing....very versatile horse!

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:49 PM
Keepthelegend, that's so fantastic!

Everybody is so specialized now, both the horses and the riders. There may be some riders who do different things with the same horse, but you almost never hear of horses that are successful at the top levels of multiple disciplines anymore. Not that it was ever common, but you used to hear of it once in a while.

How neat to have a "member of the family" in GM's book. :)

Piggiejump
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
Addy Phillips, now Lillie Keenan, and I believe maybe Marley Goodman? each won the WIHS Finals at 13. Marley may have been 14.

keepthelegend
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:54 PM
Another interesting thing about the horse as a Big Eq horse....he was tiny!!

anothersomeone
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:02 PM
How old was Francesca Mazzella when she won?

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:03 PM
How old was Francesca Mazzella when she won?

I want to say 15, though I won't swear to it.

PonyLady29
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:15 PM
a little off subject I was just looking through past results of the finals what ever happened to Randy Sherman and Andrew Ramsay? I remember always liking how they rode at the finals but rarely got to watch them since they were from the west coast. Are they still riding and I just don't hear about them because I am from NY? Or if they no longer ride sorry for the random thought/question!

Tha Ridge
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:20 PM
Had Michael Hughes won yesterday, he would've been the youngest—his show age is only 13!

Hound Dog Diaries
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:54 PM
a little off subject I was just looking through past results of the finals what ever happened to Randy Sherman and Andrew Ramsay? I remember always liking how they rode at the finals but rarely got to watch them since they were from the west coast. Are they still riding and I just don't hear about them because I am from NY? Or if they no longer ride sorry for the random thought/question!

I went to college with Andrew - he took a little break from riding while there, but looks like he's back in the saddle now - in the Netherlands, no less.

Equilibrium
Nov. 9, 2010, 03:42 AM
My Mom took him to boarding school, took him fox hunting, etc.... then she leased him to her trainer while she dated Iggy Pop (which I also have a picture of!) and was very involved in civil rights. She never really mentioned his show career until I was a little kid and had George Morris' book and she pointed out his picture. Most of her pictures of him are hunting and eventing....very versatile horse!

Never mind the horses, she dated Iggy Pop? Wow what a cool well rounded family you have. I kind of know of your family and well never got Iggy Pop out of that!:lol:

Really great pic by the way!

Terri

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
Oh my! The stories your mom must have!

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 9, 2010, 08:59 AM
Here's GMs wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Morris)

InWhyCee Redux
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
Never mind the horses, she dated Iggy Pop? Wow what a cool well rounded family you have. I kind of know of your family and well never got Iggy Pop out of that!:lol:

Really great pic by the way!

Terri

Yes, I want to see the Iggy pic!

Mayaty02
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:51 AM
I want to say 15, though I won't swear to it.

I really thought she was in her last year when she won...can anyone confirm her age?

BAC
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
George's horse was Gamecock I believe.

theoldgreymare
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:19 PM
Slight spin off but who is the youngest to ever qualify for any Big EQ Finals? I know Lainie Wimberly used to hold the title at age 11 but I am sure someone must have passed that by now.
Anyone know?

chunky munky
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:29 PM
YEAH for the Iggy Pop photo!!!! ;-D

I believe that Hillary Schlusemeyer may have done the Medal ( and maybe even got called back!) at 10 on a great old campaigner.

poltroon
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:30 PM

Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum, either. :D

Mara
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:36 PM
Does Chase Boggio age out this year? I know he's seventeen, but not sure of his "show age". He came oh-so-close last year.
That guy's got big things in store, I think. One very talented young rider.

danceronice
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:40 PM

psst...I'm pretty sure if that's the 1960 TB Golden Alibhai, "he" was a "she". With some very nice relatives to boot:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/golden+alibhai2

(For anyone wondering, yeah, I looked at brisnet and equineline first, so the gender/breeding is correct.)

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:09 PM
Another for the Iggy pic!

MHM
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
I really thought she was in her last year when she won...can anyone confirm her age?

I'm pretty sure she did another couple of years of junior jumpers after she won the equitation, but again, I won't swear to it.

Who still has that Chronicle profile about her that just came out a month or two ago? It's probably in there.

Mayaty02
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure she did another couple of years of junior jumpers after she won the equitation, but again, I won't swear to it.

Who still has that Chronicle profile about her that just came out a month or two ago? It's probably in there.

well I just read something that she was the "youngest rider ever to win both the Medal and the Maclay"...so looks like i was wrong. I didn't follow the jr jumpers so I claim ignorance :)

Tha Ridge
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:45 PM
Does Chase Boggio age out this year? I know he's seventeen, but not sure of his "show age". He came oh-so-close last year.
That guy's got big things in store, I think. One very talented young rider.

Chase has one more year, fortunately.

A lot of top finishers/contenders do: Taylor Ann Adams, Molly Braswell, Theo Boris, and Catherine Billings will all be back next year.

keepthelegend
Nov. 9, 2010, 02:24 PM
psst...I'm pretty sure if that's the 1960 TB Golden Alibhai, "he" was a "she". With some very nice relatives to boot:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/golden+alibhai2

(For anyone wondering, yeah, I looked at brisnet and equineline first, so the gender/breeding is correct.)

It's not the same one. The Golden Alibhai she had was not by Alibhai but a grandson of him. I don't even know if he was registered with the Jockey Club or not and probably was just given the name as a show horse. He was definitely a gelding.

keepthelegend
Nov. 9, 2010, 02:38 PM
I think the Iggy picture may be a let down! His name was Jimmy at the time, he played Beatle songs in a band called the Iguanas, had blond hair, and made my mom go jogging with him at 6 am! In fact he looks very preppy. He did say he was changing his name to Iggy in his break up note. Wish she had kept that, it would have so funny to see now. He did a show near our house once and my Mom wrote him a letter with her address in it and he did a drive by at 3 am screaming her name (which is also my name, so quite a rush for a 9 yr old!). But no exciting stories - in fact my very conservative grandparents loved him!

MHM
Nov. 9, 2010, 02:43 PM
Keepthelegend-

It sounds like your mom needs to write a book! :cool:

chunky munky
Nov. 9, 2010, 03:20 PM
I think the Iggy picture may be a let down! His name was Jimmy at the time, he played Beatle songs in a band called the Iguanas, had blond hair, and made my mom go jogging with him at 6 am! In fact he looks very preppy. He did say he was changing his name to Iggy in his break up note. Wish she had kept that, it would have so funny to see now. He did a show near our house once and my Mom wrote him a letter with her address in it and he did a drive by at 3 am screaming her name (which is also my name, so quite a rush for a 9 yr old!). But no exciting stories - in fact my very conservative grandparents loved him!

OMG! The pre Iggy Pop photo would be even better ! I saw Iggy for the first time in NYC about 1971-72. Yes I was young but my older brother had a rock band and I got to go along ;-)