PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff...if you are clipping part of your horse's neck this winter...

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:00 PM
So the clipping my horse thread and the pics of the bibs and trace clips got me thinking. If you are in a cold climate and did a bib/trace/etc. that took off just the bottom half (or less) or your horse's winter neck hair are you blanketing his/her neck as well? My horse does not stay in at night, fyi.

I need to do something. He's disgusting (white flaky sweat after it dries). Am leaning towards a bib to start with and will do just the bottom third of the neck from throat latch to chest (widening at chest to do bib).

But I don't want to use a neck rug or hood. My winter blanket is higher in the neck, but there will be skin exposed.

Years ago I did a full trace on my TB and then one of the detachable neck rugs, but it met at the bottom and part of his neck still was exposed anyway. Besides annoy the horse, I'm not sure how much good the neck rug did.

Thoughts? This seems silly as it is 67 degrees out right now, but we are abnormally warm and it is going back down next week.

doublesstable
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:33 AM
Were 60 degrees and I just clipped off all my horses hair - but I did give him a Hunter clip... for a few reasons. 1, it's easier for me. 2, keeps his legs warm. 3, Im not doing Hunters or Equ with him so looks are not really a big deal.

I use a turn out rug that goes up the neck a little. It's nice but doesn't seem to bother him. I think neck rugs are a pain. If you have a warm place he can go; you should be fine w/o a neck rug.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:57 AM
Depends on how cold it's going to get.

I'm in south Texas. Mine lost all his hair, face, ears, legs, tummy...

But he's in at night and it doesn't often get below 20 and a negative temp might be record setting.

When I had a horse living in Colorado we clipped him all but legs and face, and he didn't have a neck blanket, but he did have a blanket that went a bit above the withers.

I think unless it's negative temps and he's blanketed well on the rest of him he'd be fine without. If you're only shaving the underside of the neck... I'm guessing just past the jugular..., not all the way to the mane on both sides I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm very much a "throw them out, let them be, they're way tougher than we think" attitude most of the time though. You may have some other opinions.

JumpWithPanache
Nov. 9, 2010, 08:44 AM
I'm in Virginia near the coast and last year I gave my mare a Hunter clip also. Her TO sheet is a regular neck, TO mid-weight blanket is a high neck... so her neck went mostly nekked. She seemed just fine! If it was really cold and windy and wet then critters stayed inside.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:35 AM
I clip about 60% of the hair off my horse's neck (so more than a bib...but not a full clip) and I probably wouldn't put a neck cover on until it drops below zero at night.

I have an Amigo with a detachable neck piece and it is not attached 98% of the winter. I would say the few days where it is bitterly cold for us (lows below zero, highs in singles or low teens) would be the only days it goes on.

To the MAX
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:05 AM
I give my boy a full body clip every winter. He splits the fall/winter/early spring between NJ and MD. He has a stall at night. His heavy turn out has a high neck but I have never put a hood on him. He's always been fine. The hair on his neck always grows back a bit faster but he's never been cold or uncomfortable as far as I can tell.

eclipse
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
My horse gets everything except the legs and face taken off and she doesn't wear a hood (we just double blanket when it's really cold). She does come in at night and I keep a stall sheet on her but she never seems cold! It routinely gets down to -20C and below here during the days!

sa11yb
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
My horse lived out 24/7, he had a bib clip with the underside of his neck clipped. He just wore a regular blanket with no neck cover and never had any issues.

Nlevie
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
I don't do a full clip because I find neck covers such a pain - our horses all play and try to rip them off each other. So mine just gets a trace and then I don't worry about his neck. They are all out 24/7 with a run-in shed and seem happiest when minimally dressed. I know a lot of people who do full clips and leave the necks bare but it bothers me.

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 9, 2010, 07:00 PM
I usually start the season with a bib and it progresses to an apron and then a modified trace as the season wears on. there's a pic of my horse in a thread about hunt clips and dressage showing.
he does not wear a neck cover and is outside most of the time, unless it's REALLY cold and nasty