PDA

View Full Version : Where to carry crop/whip?

GreyGelding
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:15 PM
I teach a number of low-level riders and I always tell them to carry their crop or whip across the middle of the thigh. I had been a bat or dressage whip the same way.

A student of mine is showing on the IHSA team, and the coach has been telling her to carry the crop at the hip, which I believe is quite high and creates a break at the wrist. I don't want to give her information that is "incorrect" or will take away her competitiveness in the show ring.

I come from the Eventing land and need your H/J experience!

Thanks!
:)

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
Yes they should carry it across their thigh.

indygirl2560
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:27 PM
I've always been taught to keep a crop/whip across the thigh.

GreyGelding
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks! I didn't know why she had been given different advice, so I was thinking it was the "new" thing to do in the ring....

KateKat
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:15 PM
yep, definitely across the thigh. Funny that the ISHA coach would tell her that because carrying the whip that high would create a break in the wrist, along with just looking ugly (would look like the rider has a tail!). After all, isn't ISHA all about eq?

ExJumper
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:22 PM
Am I the only one who, unless I'm actually using it, just hold the crop wherever my hands are as I am using them on my reins? I mean, I don't really think about "placing" the crop anywhere, I just hold it while I'm holding the reins and it is where it is.

SmplySweet1021
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:39 PM
Inside hand across the thigh. When I switch directions the crop switches sides.

InWhyCee Redux
Nov. 8, 2010, 05:31 PM
I teach a number of low-level riders and I always tell them to carry their crop or whip across the middle of the thigh. I had been a bat or dressage whip the same way.

A student of mine is showing on the IHSA team, and the coach has been telling her to carry the crop at the hip, which I believe is quite high and creates a break at the wrist. I don't want to give her information that is "incorrect" or will take away her competitiveness in the show ring.

I come from the Eventing land and need your H/J experience!

Thanks!
:)

According to my instructor: "Across the thigh and down, or I'm taking it away from you."

mroades
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:50 PM
I can tell you when I judge, carrying the crop on the thigh is very often a tie breaker in flat classes. It stuns me how many instructors do not teach kids to carry the crop anywhere!! As far as on the hip, it would depend on several things, head carriage, rider conformation. But if it is hanging down on the shoulder of the horse or waving out to side, its wrong!

Nov. 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
Am I the only one who, unless I'm actually using it, just hold the crop wherever my hands are as I am using them on my reins? I mean, I don't really think about "placing" the crop anywhere, I just hold it while I'm holding the reins and it is where it is.Well the idea is that your hands are still and quiet, right? So "wherever your hands are" is probably putting the crop somewhere near your thigh. I think being able to ride with the crop resting quietly on the thigh speaks to quiet/good hands. Depends on the length of the crop, though, of course!

Edit to add: for a regular, medium-length crop, I think putting it on the hip is incredibly stupid. I have never seen that done (intentionally) and think it is a bad idea. Unfortunately, as much as I love IHSA, it doesn't always attract coaches of the highest caliber...