PDA

View Full Version : Clipping my horse, parents and trainer against it?

horsegal301
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:06 PM
Let's start off by explaining my situation. I just graduated from college last May and was lucky enough to land a job. I have finally saved up enough to board my horse out where I work in Cortland. He was just moved to the new barn yesterday.

I appreciate my parents and my trainer (who is now like a second grandmother to me I have been so close and with her for so long) dropping him off and making sure everything is okay, but having them lecture the people at the barn about NOT letting me clip him was embarrassing... and a little frustrating.

He is currently in Cortland, NY. I haven't experience a winter here yet, but attended Cazenovia College, where all the lesson horses were clipped and blanketed with a stable blanket and turnout blanket.

After they left yesterday, I rode my fuzzball/yak/wooly mammoth yesterday, and even after a light ride of trotting and little cantering, he was sweating ridiculously. I want to clip him, but haven't ever clipped my own horse in the winter, only in the spring when he had a sheet on.

My trainer proceeded to call me after she got home to make sure I wasn't going to clip him or he was going to get sick.

What do I do? He's going to be ridden every day for at least 30 min to an hour, and the fact that it takes an hour+ to dry him off makes me just want to clip him. He will be blanketed (He usually gets a stable blanket and sheet in the winter anyway).

I don't think clipping him will be a problem as long as he's blanketed properly, but how do I let my parents know that he's going to be okay? Is it alright that I clip him?

I just want to make sure everything is okay before I give myself the green light to clip him as long as he has blankets to cover his naked self.

Ideas? Suggestions? No matter how many examples I give my parents of horses that are body clipped, they just don't think he should be clipped.

Grataan
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:09 PM
I would say "Mom and Dad and Aunt Trainer, I appreciate your help, support and input, but now that I am caring for Poopsie on my own I find that I do not have enough time to properly dry him out after he sweats so I have decided to clip him"

Or just clip him and say nothing. If they "catch" you you tell them you appreciate their input but clipping was best for him and you in your new situation.

eclipse
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:10 PM
If he's blanketed and in work, then he should be clipped! What good does having long hair do if it's flattened with blankets??? He'll actually probably get colder with the long hair because after riding if he's not totally dry and then blanketed and turned out he won't retain body warmth properly and get a chill that way! I live in a climate that regularly gets to -30C (Alberta, Canada) and ALL of our horese are clipped (except for the legs) and in full work and we blanket to turn out!!

CLIP HIM!!!!

theinstigator
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:13 PM
Happy medium--do a light trace clip and make sure you still cool him out thoroughly after you ride.

That is if you are the one footing ALL of his bills. If not, then sorry, they still have a say.

huntingcreek
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:13 PM
Why not compromise....do a trace clip.

theinstigator
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
Jinx :)

horsegal301
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your input. They don't pay for any bills and don't really have a say anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think so I could justify it in case I was questioned!

I have considered doing different clips instead of a full body clip - and he does have a 400g turnout blanket and rubbermaid bins full of sheets and stable blankets in case the weather takes a turn for the worse.

theinstigator
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your input. They don't pay for any bills and don't really have a say anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think so I could justify it in case I was questioned!

I have considered doing different clips instead of a full body clip - and he does have a 400g turnout blanket and rubbermaid bins full of sheets and stable blankets in case the weather takes a turn for the worse.
I am quite north of you (almost Canada LOL), but around here there is only one person I know of who does a full body clip....but her horse never goes out in winter and is blanketed head-to-toe pretty much year round (he's a leopard spotted Appy that is mostly white).

In this area, I would most likely only do a trace clip, because it's just so stinking cold in the winter and I hate having to put horses in hoods. Mind you, I only ride 3-4 days a week and am not schooling any that I ride over fences right now. I won't ride if it's below 15 degrees, either....too cold for my blood!

EAY
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:33 PM
I third (or fourth) the idea of a trace clip. I just did one on my horse and it's making life so much easier. I might even go a little further with it since she's still getting sweatier that I'd like, but I live in the Mid-Atlantic so it usually doesn't get too cold here, nothing like what you get in upstate NY.

Ozone
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:46 PM
I have full clipped my horse years on end. Important is that he is blanketed accordingly and has a stall for night.

Me thinks that your trainer and parents only know NY to be freezing and snowey when infact it is quite livable here compared to say, Canada :)

I would have been a bit like wtf if my trainer/prents gave the new barn staff a run down of why you are not to clip your horse. But then again, Parents pay the bills ;)

mvp
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:47 PM
You need to help them see the error of their ways.... that the apron strings can and should be cut.

If you can't make a decision about when to clip your own damned horse after you have graduated from college and gotten a job, then when is the right time?

Or let your Mama(s) know that they can helicopter in and hand walk him until he's dry in the dark cold of Central NY after work if they want to keep him furry.

Fashion Police
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm in a similar (if not colder) climate & I full body clip all winter (and fall & spring). I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to it. There is no reason NOT to. I think if your horse is in full work and sweats when you ride & takes forever to cool down/dry out afterward it's kind of cruel not to clip him - as long as you can bundle him up in a cozy blanket!
I live in an area with lots and lots of barns, mostly show barns, and I don't know anyone (really!) that doesn't full body clip their horse. Many get all day turnout (wearing appropriate clothing for the temperature - 400 grams is pretty heavy for all day, he might get too hot in the middle of the day if the sun comes out) and they'll be out in the cold and snow happily snug in their snowsuits. Even neck covers are rare.
Clip the poor horse and save him and yourself grief.

AnotherRound
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:51 PM
Or let your Mama(s) know that they can helicopter in and hand walk him until he's dry in the dark cold of Central NY after work if they want to keep him furry.

Heh heh heh. That's the ticket.:lol:

amastrike
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:51 PM
I like a clip like this for horses who get sweaty, but not enough to need a full body clip. And it looks cool :D. http://i51.tinypic.com/2z9fmlu.jpg

I prefer to leave the legs furry, but I did that before and the barn people clipped the legs later :confused:. So with this guy, I clipped to his knees and blended the hair so his lower legs are still furry.

Bogie
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
Trace clip all the way!

If your horse is furry and blanketed, he may well overheat even when he's not being ridden.

I think it's kinder to help your horse regulate his body heat in the winter through clipping if you are going to keep him in work.

I do a trace clip on my boy and then blanket him. He lives out 24/7 and has been fine.

Here's my horse from last year. So far I've only done a bib clip on him but will be taking more off soon.

http://equineink.com/2009/11/18/freedom-gets-his-racing-stripes/

asterix
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well, I vote with everyone else that you should do what you want. My horses live out in much milder weather and I do self care, so I can't really change up their blankets all the time...
I have found a compromise to be a bib clip, similar to the one amastrike shows except I leave the legs furry and do clip to just beyond their girth (that makes a big difference!).

This way I can keep them in plenty of work all winter and only need a waterproof sheet to keep them dry in cold rain. They do fine even down to the 20s and occasional teens, snow, etc. Once in a while I'll use a hair dryer after a workout.

But, in the end, your horse, your decision.

myalter1
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:05 PM
CLIP! IMHO, if you ride him unclipped, he gets sweaty. More chance of getting sick b/c he is standing sweaty and cold (of course with a cooler on) in the barn aisle for an HOUR while he dries. Clip him. He's yours. You are an adult now. Go for it.

WNT
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Yep, clip him. It is much easier on both of you if he can cool out properly which, unless you have an hour or two (who does!?) to let him completely dry. I lived in Montana for a long time with horses, and finally the winter before I moved away, I trace clipped my horse. It was amazing! To top it off, he spent the winter comfortably turned out 24/7 with a medium-weight turnout and a run-in shed.

I think he is much more likely to get chilled if you are in a hurry and he gets put up damp under his blankets. If your folks and trainer are incensed by your decision, send them here and we'll give them all the good reasons why you made it.

EventingJ
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:32 PM
I just did a blanket clip today (i did an apron/bib clip like amastrikes last year only left her legs alone.. but she would be a sweaty mess on warmer days..). I of course say clip him, it will make your life easier :)

Go Fish
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:37 PM
If you would see the scuz and skin irritation that results from an unclipped horse sweating/drying/sweating/drying over and over again, you wouldn't hesitate to clip him. Unless you are prepared to give him, at a bare minimum, a hose off everytime he sweats after riding, please do your horse a favor and clip him. His skin will thank you for it.

goeslikestink
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:44 PM

echo buti would do under the circumstances what we call a drainage clip
just take the underside of his neck off, if he needs a tad more then add the belly
so its bib and belly clip that way hes got 90% of his hair on his body
as you only do underside of neck in between front legs and part of the belly where the girth goes a chaser clip goes back a bit further toward the under carriage of a horse same style clip

kookicat
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:46 PM
I like a clip like this for horses who get sweaty, but not enough to need a full body clip. And it looks cool :D. http://i51.tinypic.com/2z9fmlu.jpg

I prefer to leave the legs furry, but I did that before and the barn people clipped the legs later :confused:. So with this guy, I clipped to his knees and blended the hair so his lower legs are still furry.

That's an apron clip. :)

Op, he's your horse. If you think he needs to be clipped, then get him done.

indygirl2560
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:31 PM
Clip time! As you said, as long as you blanket him properly, he'll be a much happier horse! I don't know if you've already said this, but is he your horse or do your parents own him?

RugBug
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:33 PM
Clip him. Although if you have to blanket yourself, you will quickly find that a compromise of some sort works out better.

I have found a compromise to be a bib clip, similar to the one amastrike shows except I leave the legs furry and do clip to just beyond their girth (that makes a big difference!).

This was my compromise last year. Bib (or apron as I've seen it called) back behind the girth. I also clipped in flank "holes"...like you'd see on a high trace. Seemed to work well.

This year, I'm trying to do nothing because my boy lives out 24/7 and got a bit skinny last winter. I'm sure it was a combination of the hay not being great quality, him being low man on the totem pole, the clip and that I only have 2 days a week to supplement his feed, so I'm trying to mitigate any factors I can. It sure is a pain, though...cause he's a furry yak and we are still quite warm. He's a mess after riding and even when he dries, he looks awful. So sad, because he's usually quite the looker.

Big_Tag
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:42 PM
Slightly off topic, but you know what is odd to me?

Clipping just pretty much does.not.happen in the STB racing world. I can literally count on one hand the number of clipped Standardbreds I have seen. They jog, train, race all winter long primarily in New England and are all furry beasts.

I really never asked why. They are bathed regularly all winter long too (hot water of course) and always dried out entirely (usually under 2 or 3 wool coolers) so they're never cruddy but they definitely DO take a long time to dry. For the most part, unless it's someone who doesn't grow much of a winter coat, they all never get blanketed any heavier than a baker blanket.

Kind of strange, huh?

citydog
Nov. 8, 2010, 04:46 PM
He's your horse, you pay his bills and can do what you like.

I'd start with a bib clip and if he needs more off, go to a trace. Personally, I leave a wide-ish strip of hair along the midline so they can lie down more comfortably.

Heh.

RugBug
Nov. 8, 2010, 05:14 PM
Slightly off topic, but you know what is odd to me?

Clipping just pretty much does.not.happen in the STB racing world. I can literally count on one hand the number of clipped Standardbreds I have seen. They jog, train, race all winter long primarily in New England and are all furry beasts.

I really never asked why. They are bathed regularly all winter long too (hot water of course) and always dried out entirely (usually under 2 or 3 wool coolers) so they're never cruddy but they definitely DO take a long time to dry. For the most part, unless it's someone who doesn't grow much of a winter coat, they all never get blanketed any heavier than a baker blanket.

Kind of strange, huh?

Are they worked after 6pm every night? That's the real issue for me. If I ride during the morning or early afternoon, no problem but M-F I'm starting my ride at 5:30 at the earliest.

Clipping becomes almost essential then.

Big_Tag
Nov. 8, 2010, 07:18 PM
Are they worked after 6pm every night? That's the real issue for me. If I ride during the morning or early afternoon, no problem but M-F I'm starting my ride at 5:30 at the earliest.

Clipping becomes almost essential then.

Not jogged/trained..raced, yes. A lot of post times at some of the major tracks aren't until 7-7:30pm so sometimes have horses racing until 11pm-ish.
I certainly wouldn't want to deal with that, but definitely yes to the working after 6 ;)

RugBug
Nov. 8, 2010, 07:52 PM
Not jogged/trained..raced, yes. A lot of post times at some of the major tracks aren't until 7-7:30pm so sometimes have horses racing until 11pm-ish.
I certainly wouldn't want to deal with that, but definitely yes to the working after 6 ;)

It's still different when horses are you job, not your hobby. I can't be out with my hobby until 1am every night, but if it were my job? I'd be there.

danceronice
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:11 PM
I don't clip...but it's MY horse and if I wanted to I would! If it's best for your horse to clip him, clip him, and tell your parents that. (If you're not riding with the old trainer, it isn't any of her business at all.)

BybeeGirl
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:28 PM
My horses live out in much milder weather and I do self care, so I can't really change up their blankets all the time...

This is my situation too. I don't have someone that can come out in the middle of the day and change from a heavyweight to a mid weight turnout. Take today, a November day in central Virginia. We started with a heavy frost and when I left for work it was in the low 30s. When I returned, upper 60s.

I can spend more time cooling out the horses after a ride than I can running back and forth during the day(only a 15 minute drive) to change out blankets.

Maybe the boarding barn the OP is at can handle multiple blanket changes multiple times per day.

BrookdaleBay
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:23 PM
Clip the beastie! He will be forever grateful, and you wont get cold toes standing around waiting for him to dry. I gave my boy a high trace last year and I rode 5 days a week for for 30-40 minutes, and he still sweated a bit on his neck, so this year he got a full body clip. I'm in Ontario, Canada, near Toronto, and we've already had some snow! Matt is quite happy and cozy in his blankets.

yellowbritches
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:55 PM
Wait. I'm confused. Aren't you an adult? I'm assuming so since you're a college graduate with a job. And aren't you paying his bills now? These two things alone give you all the rights and freedom to do whatever the hell you want, especially with regards to your parents. As for the trainer, he is still YOUR horse and no matter how much you love and respect her, you are free to make your own choices (and this is from someone who usually prefers people would defer to their trainers more ;)). Clip your horse, however you want. Don't bother telling them, either. It really shouldn't matter to them at all.