PDA

View Full Version : Melanie Smith Taylor Clinic Was Unbelievable!!

Beenthere
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
October 30-31, 2010 we had the amazing pleasure to clinic with Melanie Smith Taylor. If any of you need a clinician, or have an opportunity to attend a clinic where she is the clinician, then do yourself a favor and get her to your farm or go to where she is. You can’t help but learn and leave motivated. I have taken many clinics over the years, some good and some not so much.

Some clinicians have a knack for feeling every horse and rider and finding those areas that need improvement, even if they only have two days to accomplish that goal. Melanie was amazing in that regard. She heightened everyone’s education and riding. She was firm where necessary and lightened the mood if needed. She can teach with a smile and give such words of encouragement.

Her first day started with detailed flatwork designed to make you “feel” your horse underneath you and to build trust between rider and horse. She built in pole work and then gymnastics that were quite difficult but able to be accomplished with thought and hard work. Horses that started tense left the ring soft and supple and horses that came in dead to the leg and rider left with a pep in their step. The second day was a buildup of that flatwork, gymnastics and course work. Frankly I would have loved to begged out due to the difficulty and it certainly didn’t help when we knew we would be guinea pigs for the upcoming Maclay finals in the course work she was testing, but how can you say no to someone who loves teaching and only set’s you up for success!

If she would have been there a third day, it would have been packed. Everyone wanted to ride more with her. So I hope that you all will look her up or take the time to see various excerpts of youtube training sessions from other clinics with her to learn some of her methods. I am certainly glad she will be back next year. We had 48 very happy riders and about 100 happy auditors at our clinic.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:48 PM
Having had the pleasure of riding two days with her as part of the EAP this year I can say that I would clinic with her without hesitation.

Where did you find out about this clinic? Does she have a schedule available online somewhere? I went looking for clinic info for her after EAP and came up empty handed.

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
Bummed I missed the opportunity. All I have heard are amazing things about her. I enjoyed listening to her at WEG. Something calming about her.

Beenthere
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
Smile - we actually brought her in. We have already locked her in for 2011 and I am sure for many years to come. I should ask her to put her clinic schedule on her website or possibly check USHJA as they too list clinic schedules. I saw she is doing a few at the start of 2011 by googling her name and clinic.

fair judy
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:00 PM
there aren't words to describe what a brilliant horsewoman and a LADY melanie is, and has always been.